The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Are You Currently Reading?

+119
Galted
ChequeredJersey
lfc91
AdamT
Rowanbi
kenn20152014
Alistair
Geordie
Derbymanc
Breadvan
kingraf
ONETWOFOREVER
seanmichaels
1GrumpyGolfer
The Boss
jbeadlesbigrighthand
JDizzle
88Chris05
rIck_dAgless
break_in_the_fifth
superflyweight
Mike Selig
Duty281
TRUSSMAN66
bsando
Mind the windows Tino.
english warrior
Rowley
liverbnz
Steffan
alfie
kittenv2
SharkSoul
Crimey
Ent
NickisBHAFC
Good Golly I'm Olly
Cyril
Melkor
JuliusHMarx
mckay1402
barragan
compelling and rich
tammywilson52
drsambo1928
bluestonevedder
Smirnoffpriest
Lee
Teej
GSC
Thomond
Cari
yappysnap
as1079
Casartelli
Il Gialloblu
sugarNspikes
teassoc
littleswannygirl
BigPhil
ShahenshahG
hodge
Roberto Mankini
Hero
Colan (niner)
Looseheaded
rawa86
GG
Rava
hampo17
6oldenbhoy
The Galveston Giant
dummy_half
Sir. badgerhands
Cheesehead United
Enforcer
Diggers
Celtic Warrior
greybeard
No1yankee
Sugar Floyd Louis
Fists of Fury
Mad for Chelsea
Goldbug
Kenny
Beer
Gaelic-Warrior
CFCNick
CelticLuke
Scottrf
ADMIN
racingnut
Mat
ncfc_Tooze
BALTIMORA
ALPanorak
md_fan
John From London Town
Luke
nadalistic
Pr4wn
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
theundisputedY2D2
Marky
Adam D
Sara
AquaArab
calamity jane
randy-poffo
President Trump
AberdeenSteve
Nay
Kramxel
Solerina
asdral225
Legend
davidl1061
LondonJonnyO
David Tails
123 posters

Page 5 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 15  Next

Go down

What Are You Currently Reading? - Page 5 Empty What Are You Currently Reading?

Post by David Tails Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:40 pm

First topic message reminder :

As the title suggests; this is just a post to find out what people are currently reading (I don't want any sarcastic comments stating "This thread" thumbsup)

I'm currently reading What The Night Knows by Dean Koontz. I'm only about 19 chapters in, but it's really good so far.

I finished Shattered Bones by Stuart MacBride at the weekend. That was okay, but the editing was poor so it detracted from my enjoyment a little.

Actually that is another question for this thread. Is it just me, or does sloppy editing bother you? I'm talking in terms of spelling mistakes, double words etc. I find it really off putting and I can't really explain why. I guess it could be because it interupts the flow of the story.

It really grinds my gears Shocked

David Tails

http://officerrahl.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

What Are You Currently Reading? - Page 5 Empty Re: What Are You Currently Reading?

Post by ShahenshahG Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:45 pm

Its fantastically weird, because its a collection of childrens tales mixed into the lion the witch and the wardrobe feel. I enjoyed it but at certain times it did drag on abit -elements of psychology and doubts felt by most children at one time or another. Worth dragging through those bits to get to the rest.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

What Are You Currently Reading? - Page 5 Empty Re: What Are You Currently Reading?

Post by Teej Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:55 am

Just finished reading 'The Silver Linings Playbook' and until I google'd it just now, I didn't realise it was also being made into a film this year (With a superb cast)!

Can't post the trailer yet (new member), but if you google the book it'll come up straight away.

It looks as if the film is a little more comedic and focuses on the positive parts, with a few major parts of the entire book being skipped over. But I suppose I'll watch it and see if that is the case. I don't mind that, in fact I liked 'The Help' as a book and film, even though they differed from each other quite a bit.

Teej

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:38 pm

Currently reading Bear Grylls' autobiography, the guy is so inspiring

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:05 am

Recently finished The Picture Of Dorian Gray - load of pretentious waffle.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by President Trump Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:41 pm

Just started to read "The Colour of Magic" by Terry Pratchet, I have been wanting to start his books for years now but finally bit the bullet and started

President Trump

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:33 pm

Just read Bloodline and am halfway through the burning girl - both by Mark Billingham and read the mammoth books of new sherlock holmes adventures. All of them have been decent reads and I struggled to put em down

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:01 am

Just finished THE GRIFFIN MAGE trilogy, by RACHEL NEUMEIER.
Which was an enjoyable read, quick with a central theme that made
sense through them all. Each book introduced new characters that
were important to the ending, but you don't feel lost while reading
it. And the ending made sense, it is well worth a read.
It would be a good holiday book.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:36 am

Just reread the Sandman graphic novels by Gaiman. They. Are. Glorious. Rereading Good Omens too and next on the list if I have time is finishing Lord of Light
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:38 am

Dicey Reilly wrote:Just started to read "The Colour of Magic" by Terry Pratchet, I have been wanting to start his books for years now but finally bit the bullet and started

Colour of Magic and the Light Fantastic are very different styles to his later (IMO far better) Discworld Novels. Please, even if you don't enjoy all of it, try and stay involved until Lords and Ladies or Night Watch. I cry every time I read Night Watch
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:42 am

Just reread the Eragon books on holiday What Are You Currently Reading? - Page 5 3559488474
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by President Trump Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:48 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:
Dicey Reilly wrote:Just started to read "The Colour of Magic" by Terry Pratchet, I have been wanting to start his books for years now but finally bit the bullet and started

Colour of Magic and the Light Fantastic are very different styles to his later (IMO far better) Discworld Novels. Please, even if you don't enjoy all of it, try and stay involved until Lords and Ladies or Night Watch. I cry every time I read Night Watch

Im planning to read them all in order, im really enjoying the book so far, it has some great characters and its nice and short

President Trump

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:09 am

Currently reading 'The Hound of the Baskervilles'

Lee

http://www.behance.net/gallery/Lee-Killeen-Portfolio/4127373

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:49 pm

Just finished PANTHEON by SAM BOURNE. It's okay, the storyline is fairly interesting, and it's quite fast paced. It drifts between at first the 2 war's and then the 2 cities without losing
you. It's easy to follow and keeps your interest without ever holding it. The problem is the main character, who while I sympathized with his dilemma and his realization of what waseffecting him, half the time I just wanted to hit, and just didn't care about in the slightest almost to the point of not wanting him to succeed. Which is a shame because
RIGHTOUS MEN by the same author is an excellent book, and LAST TESTAMENT is also a good book.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by asdral225 Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:53 pm

Bismarck its about the German second world war battleship, mainly about her or his the German captain thought the ship so powerful he used the masculine description, the Bismarck was faster and had a greater range than anything the British navy had in service at that time.The final voyage and demise of the ship.
asdral225
asdral225

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:01 pm

The History of Modern Britain by Andrew Marr. The TV series was fab.

Last edited by Cari on Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:14 pm

Also bought, to slowly read, Bitterblue by Kirsten Cashore, the Long Earth by Pratchett and someone else whom I'm sorry to say I've forgotten as they are not sir Pterry, a book by Sartre and Railsea by Mieville. Ruined my week's sleep finishing Lord of Light and it was confusing but very very good.
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:33 pm

Dicey Reilly wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:

Im planning to read them all in order, im really enjoying the book so far, it has some great characters and its nice and short

The whole story arc of the nights watch is in my opinion the best part of the Discworld series.

That and anything including Death (and Binky).

I'm just reading The Company by K J Parker. She is very depressing, but I can't help reading all her books. And then being surprised how depressed they make me. Go figure.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by asdral225 Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:53 pm

Out of Nowhere - the history of the sharpshooter and how he turned into the sniper of today.
How the weapons and skills have been developed over the years, since before the American war of independance, that turned a opportunist shooter into a self contained and very lethal weapon.
asdral225
asdral225

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:45 am

Noam Chomsky's Hegemony or Survival - which looks at the rise of the American empire, but looks in particular in it's dealing with foreign states and it's wars (including it's War on Drugs from the 80s, and it's War on Terror in the 00s) and it's actions to maintain it's status as No1 superpower, while maintaining it's access to cheap resources from countries from around the world.

It's heavy and academic but is a great read and very well researched and referenced and gives a very different world view from that provided by the mainstream press.

Before that I was reading Farenheit 451, I kind of jumped on the bandwagon after Ray Bradbury died, but it's a very good book.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:50 pm

Hegemony or Survival is really good, but very, very depressing about the state of the world and what world leaders will do for any sort of short term benefit!

After this I think I'll need something cheerful to read, either the Monty Python book or Hugh Lauries The Gun Seller I think (or I could read some Roald Dahl....)

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:45 am

Just finished VANISHED by TIM WEAVER, which was alot better than I expected. Though it starts off fairly slow, it picks up quite quickly, has a few twists including 1 major one. And was interesting without being difficult to understand.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:08 pm

Mammoth book of oddballs and eccentrics, didnt get a chance to open the parcel yet but will be reading this over next couple of days

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:28 pm

Just finished The Bourne Legacy. If you like these then this one won't disappoint although I did find it a bit tedious at the beginning.
The movie is released on Monday and even though Matt Damon won't star, I will be going to see it.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by davidl1061 Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:23 am

I just finished the Traitor Queen by Trudi Canavan, it was the final part of the Black Magician Trilogy and there are enough questions left unanswered, in a good way, to make me think that this wont be the last we hear of Imardin. Anybody else read this?

davidl1061

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:33 am

Just started The Dwarves, anyone know what age group they are aimed at, don't want to press on with it as there is four books at about 800 pages each. New to fantasy so struggle to know if i'm reading childrens/young adult fantasy.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by davidl1061 Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:43 am

If you like fantast have you read anything by Trudi Canavan or Karen Miller? They are currently my 2 favourite fantasy writers

davidl1061

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:47 am

I like Phillip Pullman as a fantasy writer - well at least the His Dark Materials/Golden Compass series was very good.

My missus likes The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series by Michael Scott which is a teenage fantasy series, which is a quite decent easy read for adults.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:59 pm

Ive not David i'll get a look at them mate.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:47 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:I like Phillip Pullman as a fantasy writer - well at least the His Dark Materials/Golden Compass series was very good.
Yeah, I thought the His Dark Materials trilogy was brilliant. Some great ideas.

Wasn't too keen on the film though. They've scrapped the sequels haven't they?

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:28 pm

Just read The Long Earth by Baxter and Pratchett. As I expected, a really good book, but I am a huge Pratchett fan. His first pure SciFi book in a while. Obvious sequel hook but some of their ideas are brilliant
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:47 pm

Just finished the Mill on the Floss - worthwhile but hideously long-winded prose, had to continually reread sentences.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:10 pm

sugarNspikes wrote:
Smirnoffpriest wrote:I like Phillip Pullman as a fantasy writer - well at least the His Dark Materials/Golden Compass series was very good.

Yeah i know what u mean, i didnt mind the film but i saw it b4 readin the book and the film does miss out sum really important plot points.
The books are brilliant, i could easily read them again and again if i didnt have such a big To Read list.

Think the film didnt do too well so they scrapped the sequels as the film studios didnt have much money to throw around.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:40 pm

davidl1061 wrote:I just finished the Traitor Queen by Trudi Canavan, it was the final part of the Black Magician Trilogy and there are enough questions left unanswered, in a good way, to make me think that this wont be the last we hear of Imardin. Anybody else read this?

I've not read this one David, but read the the 1st 3, and enjoyed them very much.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:31 am

Just finished Dave Eggers 'A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius'.

Sublime. A very good read, and beautifully written.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:56 am

Just finished DARK SIDE by BELINDA BAUER. It has slow paced, build up. to the story is quite good. My only complaints were the twist was slightly obvious from about 1/2 through. And there was no real ending, or conclusion as to why what had happened had happened (maybe this will be her next book). Other than that it was well written, and interesting enough but without going overboard. And the psychological view of the main characters and there different relationships and emotions is very well handled.

Her first book is very well reviewed (this is her 2nd), do
will probably get that and will keel an eye out for her next one, just so it will hopefully explain the ending. Will now, after reading many good things on here read my first Jack Reacher story.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by drsambo1928 Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:50 pm

Multiple sport autobiographies(Trevor Brennan,Ronan O'Gara and Donnocha O'Callaghan)

A book by a comedian known better in Ireland(Des Bishop)

And ofcourse the reluctant fundamentalist, the ending, what happened

drsambo1928

Back to top Go down

Post by tammywilson52 Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:00 pm

City of Bones and City of Ashes and Inkheart series is very good that I am reading.

tammywilson52

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:03 pm

drsambo1928 wrote:Multiple sport autobiographies(Trevor Brennan,Ronan O'Gara and Donnocha O'Callaghan)

What, all at the same time???

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:39 pm

tammywilson52 wrote:City of Bones and City of Ashes and Inkheart series is very good that I am reading.
Is the book similar to the film? I thought the film was ok but not brilliant.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by drsambo1928 Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:44 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:
drsambo1928 wrote:Multiple sport autobiographies(Trevor Brennan,Ronan O'Gara and Donnocha O'Callaghan)

What, all at the same time???

Thats right baby, im that good. Smile

drsambo1928

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:00 pm

I'm impressed and jealous! (I even have trouble concentrating when there's words as well as pictures on the page!)

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by drsambo1928 Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:57 pm

Ofcourse i think that Ronan O'Gara worked at a big risk assessment company and Des Bishop played for Ireland in rugby, it gets mixed up alot, not the best thing to do, but its just so many books and so little time.

drsambo1928

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:54 am

I find it makes things more interesting, particularly if you're reading a Katie Price biography and A Brief History of Time at the same time!

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:14 pm

drsambo1928 wrote:Ofcourse i think that Ronan O'Gara worked at a big risk assessment company and Des Bishop played for Ireland in rugby, it gets mixed up alot, not the best thing to do, but its just so many books and so little time.

Explains a lot. I presume O'Gara swapped places with Bishop sometime during the 2007 RWC?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by drsambo1928 Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:50 pm

Not only O'Gara but Changez swapped places with Donnocha O'Callaghan frequently. At least it wasnt like Sophie's world(its not a girls book) after reading that i still question my existence.

drsambo1928

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:54 am

Smirnoffpriest wrote:
sugarNspikes wrote:

Yeah i know what u mean, i didnt mind the film but i saw it b4 readin the book and the film does miss out sum really important plot points.
The books are brilliant, i could easily read them again and again if i didnt have such a big To Read list.

Think the film didnt do too well so they scrapped the sequels as the film studios didnt have much money to throw around.

i enjoyed the trilogy but agree the film was poor, never thought it would make a good conversion. imagine the out cry from the churchs on some of the themes that happen later on in the books. passion of the christ was bad enough and thats a story from the bible!!

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:14 pm

Just finished "Accused" by Mark Giminez. This is the sequel to "The Colour of Law" and is quite superb.

Reviews:

"Some critics are calling the Texas-based lawyer Mark Gimenez 'the next Grisham'—but I think that’s far less than fair. This, his fifth novel and the second featuring attorney A. Scott Fenney, shows he’s now better than the one-time master of the American courtroom drama. . . . One of the best legal thrillers since Scott Turow's Presumed Innocent in 1987. . . . Superb." – Daily Mail (UK).

"Brilliant writing, masterful plot and all the thrill of the courtroom in one." – City AM (UK)

"A gripping read with unexpected twists that ranks with anything Grisham has done in years." – The Times (UK)

"Gimenez writes smart vernacular dialogue, hip and street-wise, with a nice line in social commentary, and his plotting leaves the over-rated John Grisham in his rear-vision mirror." –The Australian

"Unputdownable." – The Times of India
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:52 pm

compelling and rich wrote:
Smirnoffpriest wrote:
sugarNspikes wrote:

i enjoyed the trilogy but agree the film was poor, never thought it would make a good conversion. imagine the out cry from the churchs on some of the themes that happen later on in the books. passion of the christ was bad enough and thats a story from the bible!!

Yeah i imagine the outcry would have been worse than when darwin had his evolution idea, i think as a result the film company chickened out. But then why make the 1st if ur not going to do it properly or do all the books.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:38 am

Nausea by Sartre.
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by President Trump Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:43 am

The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brookes, just because we should be ready Very Happy

President Trump

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 15  Next