The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Don't Mention The RWC!

+22
Pot Hale
Jenifer McLadyboy
nottins_jones
nottins
21st Century Schizoid Man
greybeard
PJHolybloke
emack2
majesticimperialman
Mr Thunder
Thomond
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Breadvan
doctor_grey
munkian
funnyExiledScot
Great White
G2
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Effervescing Elephant
tomathy
TheGreyGhost
26 posters

Go down

Don't Mention The RWC! Empty Don't Mention The RWC!

Post by TheGreyGhost Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:56 pm

Yes.

It's that time again fellow posters, those nervous few months when the BBC will seemingly go to any lengths to mention 2003.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/14381578.stm
"James Simpson-Daniel says he will focus his efforts on Gloucester's Premiership campaign after being left out of England's World Cup squad.
It is the second time the 29-year-old has been left disappointed after failing to make the cut for the 2003 squad which went on to lift the trophy."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/14374403.stm
"Centre Mike Tindall believes England will play more adventurously in September's World Cup than in their successful 2003 campaign."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/14363155.stm
"The 34-year-old Worsley made his Test debut in the 1999 World Cup and was part of the victorious squad in 2003"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14387073
"A 1m-wide spherical task thought to be part of the space shuttle Columbia, which burned up on re-entry in 2003, the same year that England won the RWC, has turned up in a drought-stricken lake in eastern Texas.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-14370494
"CSG was fined £250,000 in 2003 after admitting health and safety breaches, shortly before England won the rugby world cup."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-14384605
"In 2003 the death was announced of Hasan Mesum, who had been shot in South Waziristan on Pakistan's border with Afghanistan and he was identified as the leader of the Eastern Turkestan Islamic Movement (ETIM), almost the same timing that Martin Johnson was identified as the leader of the England Rugby Team (ERT) who won the Rugby World Cup in Australia."

Honestly.

Last edited by TheGreyGhost on Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:04 am; edited 2 times in total

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Don't Mention The RWC! Empty Re: Don't Mention The RWC!

Post by tomathy Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:58 pm

well done for searching out two unrelated articles with '2003' mentioned somewhere in them. the last one did make me smile.
tomathy
tomathy

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:58 pm

I can't believe you actually spent time finding those references. The obsession deepens.
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:00 am

Haha English media! Rolling Eyes

pete (buachaill on eirne)

Back to top Go down

Post by G2 Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:06 am

The last 2 are good but to be fair No's 1 & 3 the mention of the 2003 WC win are relevant to the article the 2nd one is Tindall

G2

Back to top Go down

Post by Great White Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:11 am

He has to dig around the English media bin to find World Cup winning references, media of most kinds was a distant dream the last time NZ won it.

Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:24 am

Why else do you think we needed a carving on Michael Jones scoring the first try of the RWC finals at Eden Park?

I don't think NZ should be ridiculed simply because the legacy of our achievement pre-dates the widespread use of the internet. What's your point. Huh? Huh?

But just to clarify, these are references about 2003, not references made in 2003. Do you see the difference? Or do I need to draw a diagram?

Last edited by TheGreyGhost on Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Great White Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:27 am

Back under your rock - or should i say back to bussing your tables...

Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:32 am

Are you updating your profile name to be Great Black for the weekend?

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:35 am

Just wait until John Inverdale gets back on telly. He owns the rights to shoe-horning 2003 references into any piece he does. In fact I'm fairly sure there's a drinking game or some bets going on in the background between him and his pundits as to how many times he can mention it, and in increasingly odd and obscure circumstances.

That said, I'm sure if New Zealand win the World Cup that sensible media of yours will be humble and discrete.

Last edited by funnyExiledScot on Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:46 am; edited 1 time in total

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:39 am

Between Inverdale and his Wilkinson 2003 references and Sean Fitzpatrick and the use of the phrase "The [x]'s of this world" rather than just using a guys name, for the broadcasting cringeworthiness award at the moment.

Honestly Fitzpatrick was driving me nuts before the 3N game this weekend.

"If the Andrew Hore's of this world, and the Franks of this world and the Crockets of the world can perform as a front row whilst the Ali Williams of this world and the Whitelocks of this world can contribute in the second row whilst the Richie McCaws of this world and the Jerome Kaino's of this world can show that they are the incumbents whilst the Adam Thompson's of this world can put their hands up and provide good ball for the Piri Weepu's of this world and Dan Carter's of this world and the Corey Jane's of this world can finish off by scoring, then the All Blacks of this world have a great chance."

I'm not playing drinking games next week, that's all I can say.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:43 am

Agree 100% on Inverdale, he does go red and sweaty when he starts talking about Wilkinson. Watch his hands next time, under the desk i tells ya!
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:46 am

TheGreyGhost wrote:Between Inverdale and his Wilkinson 2003 references and Sean Fitzpatrick and the use of the phrase "The [x]'s of this world" rather than just using a guys name, for the broadcasting cringeworthiness award at the moment.

"If the Andrew Hore's of this world, and the Franks of this world and the Crockets of the world can perform as a front row whilst the Ali Williams of this world and the Whitelocks of this world can contribute in the second row whilst the Richie McCaws of this world and the Jerome Kaino's of this world can show that they are the incumbents whilst the Adam Thompson's of this world can put their hands up and provide good ball for the Piri Weepu's of this world and Dan Carter's of this world and the Corey Jane's of this world can finish off by scoring, then the All Blacks of this world have a great chance."

Try drinking everytime the name Williams, Jones or Davies are spoken in a Welsh game or everytime Jiffy says Numbers. Messy
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:48 am

Oh! It's "Numbers" he's saying???

I was imaging "Nymbars" was a Welsh word that meant "This looks promising, but we're sure to man sausage it up".

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:51 am

I was talking to God yesterday. We are old friends, as he keeps offering to 'bring me home', but I keep dodging the invitation.

Anyway, he told me he thought 2003 was the greatest year in the history of the human race. And that was despite the efforts of his 'adversary', (which he might have referred to as Rupert Murdoch).

Not unexpectedly he told me he is a big Rugby fan, which is why Rugby is called the sport played in Heaven. He also said that was the year his England team, what he referred to as the greatest sports team in all human history won the RWC. And with the greatest player in all history, his beloved Jonny.

Just sayin..............

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:56 am

Broken Record re-record, not fade away. Broken Record
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:56 am

Carpe Diem wrote:Agree 100% on Inverdale, he does go red and sweaty when he starts talking about Wilkinson. Watch his hands next time, under the desk i tells ya!
laughing Laugh

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:59 am

TheGreyGhost wrote:Oh! It's "Numbers" he's saying???

I was imaging "Nymbars" was a Welsh word that meant "This looks promising, but we're sure to man sausage it up".
Classic too Laugh

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:03 am

Lads,it's Numbehs.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:28 am

Krooooooooooooshul
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Thunder Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:38 am

GG - 1987... at least we have a recent win to talk about you fool! The number of times Kiwi's rabit on about 1987 is so grating. Ah well 4 MORE YEARS!! Very Happy

Mr Thunder

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:38 am

Don't Mention The RWC!
by TheGreyGhost

........................................................................................................................
Errrrr Ehhhh Why? Is it because the Rugby World Cup as become an Embarrasment to you Grey Ghost?

I mean since New Zealand won the first Rugby World Cup 24 years ago, given the fact that apart from 2002-2003 New Zealand have been the number 1 team in the world.... But when it comes to Rugby World Cups they always seem to, Errrr cough, cough, errrrr choke,errrrr lose?

Is that the reason that you dont want any onhe to mention the Rugby World Cup? Whistle

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:51 am

Umm like England lost 1987-2007 except 2003 whilst choking on Erm cough the All Blacks erm cough!!!

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Thunder Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:53 am

And GG why did you bother to look up articles with reference to 2003 and then add a line in?! I mean, its not even funny. Some of the people mentioned in the non-rugby items lost their lives but you seem to think its funny to invent a line that did not even appear.

SIGH...

Last edited by rugbydreamer on Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:06 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : removal of personal insult.)

Mr Thunder

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:58 am

TheGreyGhost wrote:Between Inverdale and his Wilkinson 2003 references and Sean Fitzpatrick and the use of the phrase "The [x]'s of this world" rather than just using a guys name, for the broadcasting cringeworthiness award at the moment.

A particular bugbear of mine, I guess there are a few exceptions though - "the Wallace's" for Ieland par example. Otherwise I hate the expression.
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:38 am

emack2 wrote:Umm like England lost 1987-2007 except 2003 whilst choking on Erm cough the All Blacks erm cough!!!

emack2

In 2007 England was not the number 1 team in the world. 🤦

In 2007 England did reach the final, unlike New Zealand who cough, choke lost too France remember? Very Happy

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:53 am

Let's have a game. All of 606v2 will avoid mentioning 2003 if you'll avoid mentioning Wayne Barnes.

Deal?

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:04 am

Terrific stuff guys ! Can we talk about the RWC this year and forget mega-gnobbs like Inverdale please - to which tomato

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:41 am

greybeard wrote:Let's have a game. All of 606v2 will avoid mentioning 2003 if you'll avoid mentioning Wayne Barnes.

Deal?

Sure. But if someone mentions 2003, even once. I going to be all over everything with Wayne Barnes until Kiwireddevil tells me off again.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:49 am

emack2 wrote:Umm like England lost 1987-2007 except 2003 whilst choking on Erm cough the All Blacks erm cough!!!

What ?

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:09 am

nottins I think he meant Eng didn't win world cups 87-07 (bar 03) because they had played and lost to the All Blacks during that time. He wrote it in 'madge dialect' I think...
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:10 am

You just mentioned 2003! 3 hours. Pathetic effort.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:14 am

I thought it was only applicable to England fans?
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:19 am

Fair enough.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:26 am

2003? What happened then?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:28 am

Classic! And what about Futzy and his use of the phrase "& co"

"carter & co" "mccaw & co" etc. Etc.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:33 am

Is there not some forum rule about posting false material to purposely mislead people?

And to do so by linking them to stories of public tragedies and people's deaths is a bit below the belt.

Last edited by Pot Hale on Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:36 am

I figure if ESPN can post deliberately false material with fake quotes by real people and mock the effects of the earthquake then some nobody will get away with posting on some nothing rugby forum site without any venemous legal action.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:52 am

TheGreyGhost wrote:I figure if ESPN can post deliberately false material with fake quotes by real people and mock the effects of the earthquake then some nobody will get away with posting on some nothing rugby forum site without any venemous legal action.

It's only your own behaviour and standards you're responsible for. Using someone else's alleged poor behaviour is hardly a good reason to support or validate you doing the same. You could have found plenty of other articles to make your point. Or if you couldn't, then did you have a point to make? It's not about avoiding "venemous legal action" - it's having the judgement to know what's in good taste.

Anyway, it's your call.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by welshjohn369 Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:53 pm

TheGreyGhost wrote:Yes.

It's that time again fellow posters, those nervous few months when the BBC will seemingly go to any lengths to mention 2003.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/14381578.stm
"James Simpson-Daniel says he will focus his efforts on Gloucester's Premiership campaign after being left out of England's World Cup squad.
It is the second time the 29-year-old has been left disappointed after failing to make the cut for the 2003 squad which went on to lift the trophy."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/14374403.stm
"Centre Mike Tindall believes England will play more adventurously in September's World Cup than in their successful 2003 campaign."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/14363155.stm
"The 34-year-old Worsley made his Test debut in the 1999 World Cup and was part of the victorious squad in 2003"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14387073
"A 1m-wide spherical task thought to be part of the space shuttle Columbia, which burned up on re-entry in 2003, the same year that England won the RWC, has turned up in a drought-stricken lake in eastern Texas.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-14370494
"CSG was fined £250,000 in 2003 after admitting health and safety breaches, shortly before England won the rugby world cup."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-14384605
"In 2003 the death was announced of Hasan Mesum, who had been shot in South Waziristan on Pakistan's border with Afghanistan and he was identified as the leader of the Eastern Turkestan Islamic Movement (ETIM), almost the same timing that Martin Johnson was identified as the leader of the England Rugby Team (ERT) who won the Rugby World Cup in Australia."

Honestly.

Last time NZ won it was still black and white TV. So laughable how a kiwi can take the p**s out of anyone with that fantastic record.........and no SA in the comp wen they won it laughing AND it was at home Very Happy
welshjohn369
welshjohn369

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:07 pm

Television in Wales may have been black and white in 1987,But it had been colour in New Zealand for years.
Even if the ABs win the World cup in 2011, we know there will be people that will say its a hollow victory because the tournament is being held on our home soil...............poppies syndrome tall.........

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:16 pm

Just for a laugh think the unthinkable,all the big 8 fail to get out of the group stages .Who do you think would win?

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by welshjohn369 Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:34 pm

emack2 wrote:Just for a laugh think the unthinkable,all the big 8 fail to get out of the group stages .Who do you think would win?

NZ may have a fighting chance Yahoo

Thank Wales for the maori channel, they went to Wales in 1995 to see how the oldest indigenous channel in the world worked S4C.

Hollow victory....it will echo throughout the rugby world for 4 years laughing
welshjohn369
welshjohn369

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:43 pm

I the irony is that should NZ win the RWC at home, then back up with an away win in England (hypothetically here - I'm not calling it) and the yelping voices from the ROTW will be that the silly old RWC is just a marketing stunt anyway and the AP/HC/6N is a far more important competition with genuine history.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:44 pm

emack2 wrote:Just for a laugh think the unthinkable,all the big 8 fail to get out of the group stages .Who do you think would win?

Scotland? - we're 9th after all!! Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:46 pm

If the big 8 don't make it, then I think it would be whichever team comes out of Group B (Scotland or Argentina). Personally I expect Scotland to finish second in that pool, so I would say Argentina in your scenario.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:44 am

Well if football's anything to go by, we'll be hearing this 03 spiel for the next 40 odd years

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:45 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:

Scotland? - we're 9th after all!! Braveheart

I like the sound of that Very Happy

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down