The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Wimbledon Roof

+3
time please
bogbrush
Josiah Maiestas
7 posters

Go down

The Wimbledon Roof Empty The Wimbledon Roof

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 03 Aug 2011, 2:14 pm

Is it a coincidence that RF has not progressed beyond the QF since the Wimbledon Roof has been needed? (yes I know it was ready in 09 but wasn't really in action for that year)

Actually even in 09 he played pretty horrible in that final and was very fortunate that Andy missed many chances in the 2nd set (4 set points) and the final set with many 0-30 leads..

Does anyone else think the roof has messed with his game a bit? Because I think the Centre Court plays like an indoor court since it has been installed.. I genuinely feel that had Federer played Berdych, Tsonga and Roddick on Court 1, then he would have dispatched these players, instead he played those matches like he was on the backfoot, his flow was missing...

When you look at his other performances, he had 2 match points in USO semi's, made the semi in AO and gave Nadal a real struggle recently at the French.. it is really only Wimbledon that he has struggled with his game..

Last edited by Josiah Maiestas on Wed 03 Aug 2011, 2:15 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

The Wimbledon Roof Empty Re: The Wimbledon Roof

Post by bogbrush Wed 03 Aug 2011, 3:23 pm

I think the coincidence with him pushing 30 is more meaningful, tbh.

Against Berdbrain he was injured, against Tsonga he DID play a very queer match really, but I don't think it was the roof at all. Just my personal view though.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Wed 03 Aug 2011, 4:36 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:Is it a coincidence that RF has not progressed beyond the QF since the Wimbledon Roof has been needed? (yes I know it was ready in 09 but wasn't really in action for that year)

Didn't Andy M play Stan Wawrinka under the roof in 2009, or have I got year wrong/going completely mad?

Josiah Maiestas wrote:Does anyone else think the roof has messed with his game a bit? Because I think the Centre Court plays like an indoor court since it has been installed.. I genuinely feel that had Federer played Berdych, Tsonga and Roddick on Court 1, then he would have dispatched these players, instead he played those matches like he was on the backfoot, his flow was missing...

He has been a pretty handy indoor player, so while I would love to blame the roof for jinxing TMF, I have to agree with bogbrush and say it is anno domini!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Wed 03 Aug 2011, 5:29 pm

If Federer can't play *under a roof - indoors* after all

the years he's been in the game I'll eat my best dog The Wimbledon Roof 1505004552

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed 03 Aug 2011, 7:00 pm

TMF won quite a few events in 2010 (post-USO) under the roof. Basel and WTF. It is not the roof, IMO, but a natural progression of age (as BB and TP indicate). 😉

yummymummy wrote:the years he's been in the game I'll eat my best dog
Please spare the dog, Yummy. Hug

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed 03 Aug 2011, 7:04 pm

time please wrote:Didn't Andy M play Stan Wawrinka under the roof in 2009, or have I got year wrong/going completely mad?

No, you are still sane. thumbsup

2009 Wimbledon Great Britain Grass R16 Murray, Andy 2-6, 6-3, 6-3, 5-7, 6-3

Strange message -
forum wrote:Flood control is active on this forum, please wait 15 second(s) before replying or posting.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Thu 04 Aug 2011, 9:59 am

laverfan wrote:No, you are still sane. thumbsup

Debatable, but thanks anyway! Wink

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Thu 04 Aug 2011, 6:57 pm

I'd say age as well. He hasn't won any of the last 6 slams, which by his astonishing standards points to a decline in his level.

Personally, I still think there might be a slam in him though.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 05 Aug 2011, 3:02 am

When Federer says things like this....

http://www.tennis.com/articles/templates/news.aspx?articleid=13579&zoneid=25

I wonder if he realises that Time and Tide wait for no one.

In the current environment, the longevity he has had is already a testament to what his long term planning has helped him achieve.

Some amazing statistics (if not already viewed) http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2011/08/Features/Federer-30th-Birthday-By-The-Numbers.aspx

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Fri 05 Aug 2011, 10:01 am

That again is an example of a quite controversial opening paragraph that is not a direct quote (possible for a player over 30 to win all four slams) that is the conclusion the journalist comes to in order to hook the reader in.

The actual quote from Federer himself is that he feels if he puts himself in the right position, does all the right things, then he gives himself a chance to win a slam or any tournament, which suddenly does not sound delusional when put like that. I haven't put in quotation marks because I am paraphrasing because can't remember the correct order of words.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Wed 10 Aug 2011, 4:23 pm

I will have to agree with Bogbrush and Time Please. Berdych simply outplayed Federer last year, and perhaps an injury played a factor. However, this year, it was a question of slowed foot speed and reflexes for Roger. While he was at his peak, it was a rare sight for anyone to blast Roger off the court with his serve. Roger always found a way to read his opponent's serve no matter how fast it is. This current version of Roger Federer has become an extremely mediocre returner of serve, which is why JWT was able to overpower him. Compare JWT's match with Roger to his semifinal with Novak. Novak being the great returner he is, was able to handle Tsonga's serve better.

Roger's game has always been based on timing and exquisite footwork. Now that these aspects are faltering ever so slightly, the results are going against him.

Roger can say whatever he likes, but time waits on no one, and once you lose just a fraction of a second off of your movement, that is enough to lose tennis matches that you were winning before. That is the challenge of professional tennis.

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down