The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stephen Cluxton - the silent captain.

+4
bluemoda
Thomond
Mickado
Cari
8 posters

Go down

Stephen Cluxton - the silent captain. Empty Stephen Cluxton - the silent captain.

Post by Cari Mon 17 Oct 2011, 11:54 am

There was an article in the Indie that raised questions over the appointment of Stephen Cluxton as captain of the International Rules team citing his refusal to do media interviews. See here:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/silence-looks-the-right-compromise-2907487.html

As he will be captain of a team representing Ireland, does the paper have a point or is it just sour grapes by the media who don't understand Cluxton at all?

It may be that once he gets over there, he will do more interviews as he's captain of that team anyway, but I wondered what those of you based in Ireland thought?

Cari

Back to top Go down

Stephen Cluxton - the silent captain. Empty Re: Stephen Cluxton - the silent captain.

Post by Mickado Mon 17 Oct 2011, 12:16 pm

His team mates speak highly of his commitment and determination. Not so much his personality though. Tohill obviously see’s something in him and I can’t argue with that.

This all might be academic though, his club side (Parnells) is into the Dublin championship semi final, so he’s got to choose between club and country. Darren O’Sullivan went for club, we’ll have to see what Cluxton decides…

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Stephen Cluxton - the silent captain. Empty Re: Stephen Cluxton - the silent captain.

Post by Cari Mon 17 Oct 2011, 12:18 pm

ooh...club or country...that's a quandry...at least they get to choose I suppose.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 17 Oct 2011, 1:10 pm

I like Cluxton, one of the top keepers in the country. I've never played with him so can't assess his leadership skills. I wouldn't be in favour of having a goalkeeper as your captain. It is difficult for him to talk to the lads while he is in goal. But sure it's only interantional rules like.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon 17 Oct 2011, 1:13 pm

We’re probably going to get a hiding this year, no Dubs in the squad apart from Cluxton who might well pull out.
Are any other county stars under pressure with club commitments?

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 17 Oct 2011, 1:18 pm

Is the international rules considered of less importance then?

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon 17 Oct 2011, 1:23 pm

By most people it would be. It’s a good spectacle some years, but there were a few years where the Aussies just used the Irish players as punching bags and it hasn’t been the same since. There’s a compilation on YT of all the fights, give it a look when you get home, some serious diggin matches going on. not good.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 17 Oct 2011, 1:24 pm

Not that I know of. Besides the English Kerryman. Cari, most people don't really care about international rules. It is not a huge deal. I would watch it if I got the chance but if I missed it, it wouldn't be a huge deal. Club would come first if I were Cluxton.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by bluemoda Mon 17 Oct 2011, 2:13 pm

The players like it though. Gives them a chance to play for their country and a great trip to Oz land.

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 17 Oct 2011, 2:39 pm

That's what I thought Blue...a nice week or two in the sun Cool

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Ar aghaidh le cheile Mon 17 Oct 2011, 2:44 pm

[quote="Mickado"]We’re probably going to get a hiding this year, no Dubs in the squad apart from Cluxton who might well pull out.
Are any other county stars under pressure with club commitments?
[/quote

Is Kevin McKernan in the squad, if he is he faces exactly the same issue. His club Burren are county champions and fancied for a run in Ulster.

Re Cluxton I dont see any problem with a goalkeeper being a captain and with his role in the confused rules games he would be more involved than in a football game. Is there anybody that is that interested in the series anyway.

Ar aghaidh le cheile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 24 Oct 2011, 1:19 pm

Looks like Cluxton is joining the rest of the team now Very Happy

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2011/1024/cluxtons_ireland.html

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by bluemoda Mon 24 Oct 2011, 2:09 pm

At first glance, I though they were rugby players. The're build like them.

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 24 Oct 2011, 2:20 pm

Blue - I eyeballed Eoin Cadogan to the left there. I still would.... Drool

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by bluemoda Mon 24 Oct 2011, 3:19 pm

Oh Cari, passed right by him last week and yes, he is very hansome and body beautiful. I live in the same area as him, Ronan O'Gara and Donnacha O'Callaghan. Seeing the Cork based hurlers, footballers and rugby players out-and-about doing their business is not that unusual. Codigan is a much bigger man than O'Gara but Donnacha is bigger still. No matter how many times you see them, I still gotta sneak a look.

Who is really hansome though is Doug Howlett.... blow me down and not get up again.

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 24 Oct 2011, 6:00 pm

bluemoda wrote:Oh Cari, passed right by him last week and yes, he is very hansome and body beautiful. I live in the same area as him, Ronan O'Gara and Donnacha O'Callaghan. Seeing the Cork based hurlers, footballers and rugby players out-and-about doing their business is not that unusual. Codigan is a much bigger man than O'Gara but Donnacha is bigger still. No matter how many times you see them, I still gotta sneak a look.

Who is really hansome though is Doug Howlett.... blow me down and not get up again.

Good grief! I don't know how you cope. If I had to pass by Cadogan every day...well, I don't know what sort of state I'd be in. censored

I can see why you like Dougie, though he's not my type. Not keen on ROG or DOC either, but they seem like the sort of guys you'd have a laugh on a date with, so I wouldn't turn down an invite from them Smile

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by bluemoda Wed 26 Oct 2011, 9:52 am

Met DOC of all places at the checkout of the local supermarket. He was just chit chatting with the cashier. I was earwigging, he seemed like a nice regular guy. For my part, I just pretended that I hadn't a clue who he was and stood there listening. Passed ROG comming into the same shopping centre, he is not a big guy.

Walked into a pub after work a few years ago and Keith Wood was in there having a pint with some people. He was well retired by then. I don't know what it is about him but I've always though he was the sexiest things on legs, still do. He's not good looking, he's bald, but god is he is masculine. My friend had to haul to the opposite end of the pub.

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 26 Oct 2011, 1:12 pm

Donncha is just a big kid. A sound fella. My mother tells a story of how he came into her bank and when found out the amount of money he had in his biscuit tin full of change, he did a dance!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed 26 Oct 2011, 1:21 pm

bluemoda wrote: He's not good looking, he's bald, but god is he is masculine.

See, I think that about Wally....except he's not bald. Some people don't think he's good looking at all, but I think he's the sexiest man alive...there's just something about him...he looks....dirrrrty Laugh

I don't think I'd be able to have a chat with DOC without remembering him in just his red pants on the pitch at the Arms Park... Very Happy

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by bluemoda Wed 26 Oct 2011, 5:05 pm

I get the attraction to Wally, Cari. I reckon it's the Celtic look. The black hair, blue eyes and fair skin. Not a very common look, apart maybe from the west of Ireland. He was a pundit on RTE over the world cup. Pretty good too and great eye candy.

I wonder what colour hair Woody had?

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed 26 Oct 2011, 6:12 pm

Blue - yeah I saw a clip of Wally doing the RWC. I was sooo jealous. We had no such eye candy. Very poor form. Although we did have Quinny commentating on Irish matches and his voice was just.... Drool Maybe it is that Celtic look you describe...I'm certainly a sucker for light eyes and dark hair...Bernie being an exception, but he's handsome anyway.

As for Keith Wood's hair....I tried google and in every picture of him he's as bald as an egg. Erm But I've been told it was black.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Wed 26 Oct 2011, 6:21 pm

Stop salivating you two OK
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed 26 Oct 2011, 6:23 pm

Sorry Dub....I don't have anyone else to compare notes with on here Very Happy

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 26 Oct 2011, 9:07 pm

It's a bit unfair because they're aren't many good looking female rugby/GAA players! Presenters maybe....

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by RebelBhoy Wed 26 Oct 2011, 10:49 pm

get outta town!!
RebelBhoy
RebelBhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu 27 Oct 2011, 8:25 am

OK sorry lads....get back on topic now....

Soooo Cluxton. Will do any PR on this trip or what?

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by bluemoda Thu 27 Oct 2011, 10:23 am

Thomond wrote:It's a bit unfair because they're aren't many good looking female rugby/GAA players! Presenters maybe....

That's not true Thomond. It's just the sporty look in not very in-vogue right now. It's the Jordan look that men want.

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu 27 Oct 2011, 1:22 pm

Blue - that's a fair point...I blame those stupid Hunky Dory adverts.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by bluemoda Thu 27 Oct 2011, 1:29 pm

I blame those stupid women who spend 6 hours getting ready for a night out only to end up blind drunk with their barely there dresses up around their ears. That's the look men want. Oh, and blonde, she MUST be blonde, with extensions of course.

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 27 Oct 2011, 1:33 pm

I think you will find most men find Jordan revolting. I do anyway! It was only a flippant comment anyway.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by bluemoda Thu 27 Oct 2011, 1:37 pm

We know that Thom. There's not much happening in the gaa world at the moment, so we get side tracked easily.

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 27 Oct 2011, 1:37 pm

Thomond wrote:I think you will find most men find Jordan revolting. I do anyway! It was only a flippant comment anyway.

+1

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu 27 Oct 2011, 1:52 pm

Blue - I actually dye my blonde hair red...and as for wearing a skirt that barely covers my backside, I wouldn't inflict that on the public... Very Happy

To be fair to blokes, Jordan/Katie Price/Whateverherbloodynameis has ruined herself through copious amounts of surgery. She used to be pretty and ironically has spent thousands making herself look horrendous.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by bluemoda Thu 27 Oct 2011, 2:02 pm

I wasn't referring to Jordan specifically, just that look. You know, the WAG look. Thankfully, most women have better things to do with their time than spend hours on their appearance, like working and earning a living, studying and playing/watching sport etc,. But my real point being - men, especially younger men, are so conditioned to that look now that sporty women are seen as masculine, even though most of them are slim and pretty and probably great fun.

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Thu 27 Oct 2011, 4:43 pm

Jordan= vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit

FACT
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu 27 Oct 2011, 5:40 pm

So much for me trying to get this thread back on topic! Laugh

I will say this though....I don't fancy Cluxton, but he is a good goalie Smile

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 28 Oct 2011, 7:58 am

Throw in at 9.45 nd the match is on TG4.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 28 Oct 2011, 8:21 am

I've asked that they stick it on in the canteen. I'll take a late brekkie and get to watch the entire first half. Gift.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by bluemoda Fri 28 Oct 2011, 9:09 am

I will say this though....I don't fancy Cluxton, but he is a good goalie Smile[/quote]

Oh I don't know Cari, the strong silent type. Probably possesses a deep passion that I wouldn't mind unlocking.Stephen Cluxton - the silent captain. 479796

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Post by bluemoda Fri 28 Oct 2011, 9:45 am

Cluxton didn't turn up for the pre-match press conference. Ciaran McKeever attended instead. Now I'm really intrigued, why is he so shy?

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 28 Oct 2011, 10:40 am

Really? Now see that goes back to my original post....I wondered if he would do interviews seeing as he's captain on the Irish team....maybe he's got a really funny accent that no one understands....wait a minute...so has Cadogan and he does interviews... Very Happy

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by bluemoda Fri 28 Oct 2011, 11:58 am

I take it that you have heard Cadogan's accent then and it hasn't dampened your ardour one jot.

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 01 Nov 2011, 2:59 pm

Blue - na not at all. He's so baaayoootiful he doesn't need to talk. censored I can think of a couple of ways to shut him up anyhoo...

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by bluemoda Tue 01 Nov 2011, 4:03 pm

All silence and more action. Couldn't agree more.

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down