The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shane Williams Under-rated?

+10
sirtidychris
Sgt_Pooly
flyhalffactory
GunsGerms
welshy824
Shifty
burkelton
Imperialbigdave
doctor_grey
wonder_man
14 posters

Go down

Shane Williams Under-rated? Empty Shane Williams Under-rated?

Post by wonder_man Sat 03 Dec 2011, 9:22 pm

Seriously. He's always been seen as good but he's never really been rated as the best unanimously. If you think that's because he never was, get yourself on youtube and I ask you: who else could have scored some of those tries?? True welsh great! Forget that, true rugby great. Diolch Shane Wink <3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozrKpWR-UUI

wonder_man

Back to top Go down

Shane Williams Under-rated? Empty Re: Shane Williams Under-rated?

Post by doctor_grey Sat 03 Dec 2011, 9:56 pm

I think he played in a era when there were a number of very good wings playing on better teams. So he got overlooked because he never played on great teams. He did of course, play on a couple of 6N winners, but in general never played on teams consistently at the top level. So during his international career, I don't think he was really regarded as a possible all-time great. But here we are at the end of the line and looking back, he is obviously in the top 10 all time. And still under appreciated. Maybe if he put lifts in his boots?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Sun 04 Dec 2011, 12:32 am

I never liked him up until maybe a year ago, but ill admit that was through bitterness. I feel like ive missed out on enjoying one of the all time great entertainers of sport. Its quite saddening in a way.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by burkelton Sun 04 Dec 2011, 11:02 am

Defiantly underrated sad to see him hang up his international boots !! Seriously talented played with or without the ball!!! Entertaining player and has scored some great tries in his career

burkelton

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 04 Dec 2011, 12:55 pm

He's a quality player and probably the best left wing Wales has ever produced, I don't think anyone in Wales under rates him at all, but fans from other countries tend not to of seen him as much as we have, hence why they don't regard him so highly.

Though a quick look at one of his many highlights YouTube videos will show people his talent.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Sun 04 Dec 2011, 2:37 pm

his tackling is underrated aswell, when i spoke to warburton he said williams is very strong and always puts in the effort to improve what he struggles with- alot of the time tackling and you saw yesterday not that he is a good attack but he gives his all and will make tackles and gets involved as much as possible in the game

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 04 Dec 2011, 2:43 pm

Shane was a Welsh great and a very good international winger. His defence is certainly better than of a lot of people give him credit for.

Be careful with YouTube though, you can make anybody look a world-beater with a montage of clips on there!

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Sun 04 Dec 2011, 9:30 pm

He hasn't always been great, in fact he probably peaked in his 30s in terms of having more strings to his bow. Luckly for him he didn't lose any pace which is why he remained such a threat.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Mon 05 Dec 2011, 2:08 am

doctor_grey wrote:I think he played in a era when there were a number of very good wings playing on better teams. So he got overlooked because he never played on great teams. He did of course, play on a couple of 6N winners, but in general never played on teams consistently at the top level. So during his international career, I don't think he was really regarded as a possible all-time great. But here we are at the end of the line and looking back, he is obviously in the top 10 all time. And still under appreciated. Maybe if he put lifts in his boots?

The very words you have written proves he is an all time great

To have achieved what he has in an often underachieving Welsh team .............. can you imagine what he would have achieved in the same period if he played for any SH team, or even England, France or Ireland

Possibly he would have been regarded as the best ever

flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 05 Dec 2011, 12:13 pm

Cracking servant to Welsh rugby, all time rugby great........I don't think so. I think he was probably underated slightly outside of Wales and overated quite a bit inside.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Mon 05 Dec 2011, 12:34 pm

Nope everyone thinks he is awesome including people outside europe, he was almost the highest try scorer of all time, he won world player of the year and got on lions tours i'd say he is rated about right..

He wouldn't make most peoples best ever 15 but he is a world great and to achieve what he has done at the top level and be somewhere between 5ft 5- 5ft 8 is impressive !!

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by belovedfrosties Mon 05 Dec 2011, 7:56 pm

Jonny Wilkinson was the highest points scorer of all time (despite missing out on several years of rugby), won world player of the year and was also on the lions tours and many welsh still find him over-rated and think he wasn't great.

I'm not saying that to turn it into a wales v england, wilko v williams thread. Just saying that seeing as he was your player you will always consider him as an all time great and, because of this, feel that everyone else under rates him as we dont have as high an opinion of him as you. He was a great player but i think you are pushing it a bit when you say he was over rated.

belovedfrosties

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Mon 05 Dec 2011, 8:07 pm

Comparing Wilko with Williams is a bit misleading. Clearly Wilko was a great but they are such massively different players, Williams scored all his points through tries, when the opposition were trying to tackle him..Wilko's obviously off the boot when it was him v the posts. Williams was a great until his last moment and i am afraid Wilko played an RWC too far. Williams was also tiny and so fleet of foot that he could create a score from nowhere. In my view Wilko was the better all round player, but as a scorer of tries and an entertainer Saint Shane gets the nod

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by belovedfrosties Mon 05 Dec 2011, 8:57 pm

Thats all true gatts but I wasn't trying to compare them in terms of ability. Just in terms of achievements and the respective level of appreciation from fans of differing nations. Which shows that YOUR player will never be appreciated as much as yourself and your other kinsmen do.

belovedfrosties

Back to top Go down

Post by Dontheman Wed 14 Dec 2011, 1:42 pm

WTF. Shane is a Welsh hero. Full stop. 57 tries from 87 games for Wales plus Lions. Get a life!

Dontheman

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 14 Dec 2011, 1:48 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:I think he played in a era when there were a number of very good wings playing on better teams. So he got overlooked because he never played on great teams. He did of course, play on a couple of 6N winners, but in general never played on teams consistently at the top level. So during his international career, I don't think he was really regarded as a possible all-time great. But here we are at the end of the line and looking back, he is obviously in the top 10 all time. And still under appreciated. Maybe if he put lifts in his boots?

The very words you have written proves he is an all time great

To have achieved what he has in an often underachieving Welsh team .............. can you imagine what he would have achieved in the same period if he played for any SH team, or even England, France or Ireland

Possibly he would have been regarded as the best ever

Hyperbole rears its head again.

Shane Williams was/is an outstanding winger who certaintly deserves to be considered as a possible great player. Time will tell.

But best ever - please some perspective - he is not even the best ever Welsh winger. That title goes to Gerald Davies imv.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Dontheman Wed 14 Dec 2011, 3:19 pm

Any stats available there Geoff? I think with wingers it's deffo down to tries and I'd like to know how they compare.

Dontheman

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 14 Dec 2011, 4:09 pm

No I don't but one thing I do know is Gerald Davis would have played half the games Shane did - they jsut didn't play so much in them days.

I also disagree it is just down to Tries - stopping a try is as good as scoring one.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down