The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Throwing down the Gauntlet.

+21
jbeadlesbigrighthand
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
RubyGuby
George Carlin
CurlyOsp
Hound_of_Harrow
slartibartfast
ChequeredJersey
TJ1
PJHolybloke
Rory_Gallagher
Taffineastbourne
Manky-Flanker
lostinwales
TycroesOsprey
SecretFly
doctor_grey
eirebilly
KickAndChase
funnyExiledScot
Biltong
25 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Throwing down the Gauntlet. - Page 4 Empty Throwing down the Gauntlet.

Post by Biltong Fri 17 Feb 2012, 5:57 pm

First topic message reminder :

Every year the Six Nations is the birth place for rising stars and the platform to showcase young talent. This six nations may have had some dire games but when looking a little closer there has have been some individuals with hard work rates, big runs, electric offloads and good vision who have brightened the most dreary of matches.

A lack-luster England survived with less possession and territory against a game Scottish side who if they had but for a little luck or a little more patience could have pulled through. On the other side of the coin we have seen an on form Welsh side with electric back line play run most defences into oblivion, their six tries in 2 matches is proof of exactly how dangerous their back line combination is.

So who has impressed? Who are the players staking a claim, the young inexperienced players who should become regular fixtures in the starting line-up for their respective countries?

David Denton age 22, 6ft 5inches 249lb
As a back rower Denton has impressed me in both games so far with his ball carrying ability. Setting up the ball in the tackle and his offloading capability, looking at his match stats of 9 passes, 35 runs, 117 meters, 2 clean breaks, 4 defenders beaten, 2 offloads, 3 turn overs, 5 tackles and 1 missed, he may be more of an attacking force than a Schalk Burger type defensive demon, but it is early stages yet and he is certain to work on his defensive work rate.

Alex Cuthbert, age 21, 6ft 6inches, 229lb
While Cuthbert may have had a quiet game against Ireland his performance against Scotland was a revelation, outshining his teammate George North in nearly every department. His match stats of 1 try, 1 try assist, 3 passes, 8 runs, 84 meters ran, 2 clean breaks, 3 defenders beaten, 1 offload, 1 turn over and 6 tackles with none missed, shows he is a playmaker with the ability to beat defenders and the necessary vision.

George North age 19, 6ft 4 inches, 229lb
Now a regular fixture in the Welsh team, his match stats of 1 try, 1 try assist, 4 passes, 11 runs, 85 meters, 1 clean break, 8 defenders beaten, 1 offload, 2 turn overs, 2 tackles and 1 missed tackle would suggest that George North is a very effective runner with ball in hand, and who can forget his incredible offload to Jonathan Davies against Ireland.

If there is one criticism of him, where there is room for improvement then it is his work rate. Granted he got injured in the Scotland match, but in 119 minutes of play, 11 runs and only 2 tackles completed would suggest that Warren Gatland needs to have a quiet word with this rising star.

Jonathan Davies, age 23, 6ft 1 inch, 227lb
The first time Davies impressed me was during the world cup. He showed an eye for a gap, an ability to wriggle out of tackles and a good turn of pace, complimenting the raw running power of Jamie Roberts well. His first two matches of the six nations have cemented that impression on me and with match stats of 2 tries, 1 try assist, 4 kicks, 10 passes, 22 runs, 156 meters, 2 clean breaks, 2 defenders beaten, 1 offload, 17 tackles and only 1 missed has shown consistency, a high work rate and sublime skills with ball in hand.

Richard Gray, age 22, 6ft 10inches, 285lb
With 8 passes, 23 runs, 89 meters, 2 clean break, 3 defenders beaten, 2 offloads, 15 tackles, 0 missed tackles and 11 line outs won Richard Gray is the quintessential modern day lock, he is tall enough to be a world class line out jumper, he is big enough to break tackles and beat defenders and his work rate makes him a very good defender. It is still early days, but what I have seen from this young man would put a smile on any Scottish coach's face.

Stuart Hogg age 19, 5ft 11 inches 194lb
Perhaps too soon to tell, but Stuart Hogg on debut came off the bench in the 15th minute of the Wales vs Scotland game and has shown very good promise for such a young lad. During the second half in particular he ran the Welsh defence ragged with match stats of 2 kicks, 2 passes, 10 runs, 82 meters, 2 clean breaks, 2 defenders beaten, 3 turn overs, 5 tackles and none missed. It would be to Scotland’s advantage to develop this young man as they need someone with his skills in a back line who all too often have shown they do not possess the necessary patience and execution to finish moves.

Ross Rennie age 25, 6ft 1 inch 213lb
Almost unnoticed Rennie has been the star of the show, his match stats of 22 passes, 31 runs, 107 meters, 4 clean breaks, 5 defenders beaten, 6 offloads, 2 turn overs, 28 tackles and only 3 missed shows that in combination with Gray and Denton, they will be the catalyst for a revival of Scottish rugby. He has an astonishing work rate, he must be close to the top of the list as far as ball carriers are concerned and yet as an additional line out option his ability is evident for all to see.

There are of course other players who have continued to impress, such as Leigh Halfpenny and Rhys Priestland, but they are old hands now, established in their squads, and this is of course not about them, but rather a celebration of the new stock, those guys that in future will be able to stake their claims on the international stage.

Last edited by biltongbek on Fri 17 Feb 2012, 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Throwing down the Gauntlet. - Page 4 Empty Re: Throwing down the Gauntlet.

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Mon 20 Feb 2012, 12:52 pm

I don't see how stats aren't useful in assessing performance for both players and teams. Suggesting that they aren't useful because they are fallible doesn't wash. That just means that they should be used indicatively, and as an objective starting point for exploration and discussion. Which of course is the case anyway. No one is suggesting that stats by themselves should be the sole measure of performance.

As an example, a team getting slow ball from rucks could be due to any number of reasons - scrum half slow in getting the ball out, players not hitting enough rucks or being slow to get there, not getting over the gain line, etc. Coaching staff can of course diagnose the issue on the basis of what they see, but they will do so from a subjective stance and will bring any biases to their decision. If they have more information, however, they are making a better decision.

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 20 Feb 2012, 1:25 pm

SecretFly wrote:
biltongbek wrote:
But one aspect of your theory astounds me, how is it that when our players are offside or commit fouls, the referees never miss that? Rolling Eyes

Surprised by you, biltong...thought you would be up to speed on that one. Of course the referees know when we've committed fouls.... no player ever tosses himself to the ground. It's only reasonable to assume an Irish/SA is the guy wot did the crime. As for the offside rule..simple explanation too; the ref knows that players who think they are invisible are always going to try it on. He blows his whistle automatically.

sorry, I had clients and got busy, so I am only responding now. Yes, I knew all that, just wanted to gather some more Statistics on your opinion. laughing
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 20 Feb 2012, 1:26 pm

doctor_grey wrote:Just a little too cute, Biltong. 'tis all.

Besides I want to see some good blood curdling chest thumping bewtixt the nations, not some smiley icon kissing another one. Where goes the humour (and a fair bit of frustration) if we all simply get along and respect each other? Hmmm?

Besides, yesterday I flew back to the US from my two weeks back home and I think, when here, I get more enjoyment from the 'clash of nations' than I do at home.

getting cute is just the set up before the launch my friend, this way you lull your opponent into thinking all is well, and then you pounce.

Good for shock and awe tactics. Ok!
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 20 Feb 2012, 2:11 pm

Ahh. I see. True deviousness (is that a word?). I feel better knowing you are only baiting the trap before snapping it shut on the head (or arse) of a poor unknowing soul.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 20 Feb 2012, 2:17 pm

doctor_grey wrote:Ahh. I see. True deviousness (is that a word?). I feel better knowing you are only baiting the trap before snapping it shut on the head (or arse) of a poor unknowing soul.

good, we have an understanding, you see there is a matter of 3 tests lost in Ireland over the past decade, something we don't take kindly to here in the southern tip of africa. We were asked by SARU to be nice to the Irish, they haven't been to our shores for so long, I doubt whether they can remember what sun stroke feels like. anyway getting off topic, if we are nice to them they might come, and then we will have our REVENGE.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 20 Feb 2012, 2:20 pm

I feel better now. Just don't tell Eirebilly.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 20 Feb 2012, 2:23 pm

doctor_grey wrote:I feel better now. Just don't tell Eirebilly.
Laugh He won't even notice, even if he reads this. He is under the impression I am full of jokes today. Whistle

The gravity of the situation will not be realised.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 20 Feb 2012, 3:39 pm

Oh I'm certain you will have Revenge - in this life or the next. But then again, our new decade resolution here in Ireland is to stop winning anything at home and to try, to really try, to win some games in the SH against SH sides.

So far the resolution is going according to plan...................... !

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 20 Feb 2012, 3:52 pm

Thats good fly...
I see our boys are already gathering and analysing the stats from the NH sides in readiness for the irish.

From GHs school they generally do their own using all the video and analysis software available so theyll know everything about every player and potential combination coming south.

Its painstaking and often boring work but its gotta be done in todays game to keep ahead of the field where winning is now a business.

This week we kick off super rugby proper after the warmups so a busy weekend coming up in both hemispheres. For us the start of a another very long season.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 20 Feb 2012, 3:58 pm

Well Fly we are hoping that the politics are now done interfering with their attempts at ruining our national team's performance, so we are aiming high, world dominance is the goal and anyone standing in the way will be mere victims, those that manage to halt our progress will be shunned and frowned upon. So bring on your resolution. Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Mon 20 Feb 2012, 4:53 pm

What happened to Taffin Biltong, did he implode?

Or did you just wear him down with your Saffer attritional stat technique?
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 20 Feb 2012, 5:07 pm

biltongbek wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:I feel better now. Just don't tell Eirebilly.
Laugh He won't even notice, even if he reads this. He is under the impression I am full of jokes today. Whistle

The gravity of the situation will not be realised.

I am watching the pair of you Cool
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Mon 20 Feb 2012, 5:14 pm

biltongbek wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
biltongbek wrote:
But one aspect of your theory astounds me, how is it that when our players are offside or commit fouls, the referees never miss that? Rolling Eyes

Surprised by you, biltong...thought you would be up to speed on that one. Of course the referees know when we've committed fouls.... no player ever tosses himself to the ground. It's only reasonable to assume an Irish/SA is the guy wot did the crime. As for the offside rule..simple explanation too; the ref knows that players who think they are invisible are always going to try it on. He blows his whistle automatically.

sorry, I had clients and got busy, so I am only responding now. :

Am I the only immature person who found this funny? It made me smile anyway...

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 20 Feb 2012, 5:16 pm

You all seem a bit green to me when it comes to the welsh team thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Mon 20 Feb 2012, 5:16 pm

Bathman_in_London wrote:
biltongbek wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
biltongbek wrote:

sorry, I had clients and got busy, so I am only responding now. :

Am I the only immature person who found this funny? It made me smile anyway...

Nope.
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 20 Feb 2012, 5:28 pm

RubyGuby wrote:You all seem a bit green to me when it comes to the welsh team thumbsup

I see what you did there Wink

Sadly, yes is the answer Sad
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 20 Feb 2012, 5:32 pm

PJHolybloke wrote:What happened to Taffin Biltong, did he implode?

Or did you just wear him down with your Saffer attritional stat technique?

Rolling Eyes Don't know mate, it did confim to me though that I need to keep any comment or opinion of Wales to a minimum.

I'll have to be like those guys in Harry Potter, the one no one dares to talk about. Doh But alas not for the same reasons.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 20 Feb 2012, 5:33 pm

eirebilly wrote:
RubyGuby wrote:You all seem a bit green to me when it comes to the welsh team thumbsup

I see what you did there Wink

Sadly, yes is the answer Sad

The first ruel about fightclu............................er I mean Wales rugby is, You don't talk about it. Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 20 Feb 2012, 5:38 pm

Red...oh, suits you, sir. Suits you.

The colour of modesty Smile

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 20 Feb 2012, 5:41 pm

SecretFly wrote:

Red...oh, suits you, sir. Suits you.

The colour of modesty Smile
Red is also the colour for embaressing situations. Whistle

Sorry Rubyguby, had to get that one in. But I am only talking about the colour not "the one we are not supposed to talk about. thumbsup
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 20 Feb 2012, 5:43 pm

Red is the colour of EVIL!!!!!! Evil Welsh devils devil

Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 20 Feb 2012, 5:54 pm

Our kit is actually red, green and white, something for all occasions. The good the bad and the ugly if you like as epitomised by Halfpenny, Bradley D and Andy Powell respectively thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 20 Feb 2012, 6:02 pm

Fussy! Ours is Green and white, so there! And SA have their new season in too, which is the usual green and gold and stuff...so like, just like seriously.... like OMG whatever, okay!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 20 Feb 2012, 6:05 pm

Sorry Secret but Green is definately out this year - I just spoke to Jean Paul Gok and he confirmed it thumbsup Tumbleweed

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 20 Feb 2012, 6:09 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Sorry Secret but Green is definately out this year - I just spoke to Jean Paul Gok and he confirmed it thumbsup Tumbleweed
You believe him, you will also believe Stats aren't useful. Laugh
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 20 Feb 2012, 6:14 pm

biltongbek wrote:
RubyGuby wrote:Sorry Secret but Green is definately out this year - I just spoke to Jean Paul Gok and he confirmed it thumbsup Tumbleweed

Its all in the eyes Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 20 Feb 2012, 6:17 pm

eirebilly wrote:
biltongbek wrote:

Its all in the eyes Wink

Yep, you look and you look until ya aiss hurts.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 20 Feb 2012, 6:23 pm

Well if you cant get out of this forum by using your eyes then you have no idea how forums work..... Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 20 Feb 2012, 6:25 pm

I think I'm beginning to dislike all this humour. Back to the real issues please...a frown is developing Sad

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 20 Feb 2012, 6:26 pm

Sorry Fly, we will refraim from humour from now on ghost
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 20 Feb 2012, 6:27 pm

Ok back to the subject at hand, do you think it is safe to assess the other 4 teams for up and coming players, or will their player's statistics also offend their supporters.

Fly you and Billy can provide me with the perspective of the Irish.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 20 Feb 2012, 6:29 pm

Medically speaking that is known as the "Darcy Frown" Secret - There is a cure so dont worry too much thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 20 Feb 2012, 6:30 pm

Basically Ireland are not going to do well as long as D'Arcy is continually selected at 12 biltong. Was once an excellent player but he has lost that zip and his ball skills have all but left him.

I am still waiting for Trimble to cross the line, i had him down as the tournements top try scorer Yikes
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Mon 20 Feb 2012, 6:31 pm

Italy - Benvenuti seems to be handling the 6N in his stride, looks like Italy have possibly their mainstay centre for years to come there.

Ireland - no one has thrown a napkin, let alone a gauntlet.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 20 Feb 2012, 6:33 pm

I am just a bit upset that Kidney didnt slelect Madigan or Keatley in the squad. I am a massive fan of ROG's but this was the perfect time to give one of them a chance as a replacement.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 20 Feb 2012, 6:34 pm

thebandwagonsociety wrote:Italy - Benvenuti seems to be handling the 6N in his stride, looks like Italy have possibly their mainstay centre for years to come there.

Ireland - no one has thrown a napkin, let alone a gauntlet.

Not even a handbag? laughing
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 20 Feb 2012, 6:35 pm

Go right ahead with Ireland, biltong. Be as unforgiving as you need to be...plus...keep talking about the side that cannot be mentioned. Don't mind the fire that comes from the dragon..we're all used to it Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 20 Feb 2012, 6:38 pm

I think Dave Kearney should be on and Bowe should have some bench time...Oh yes, and now that we're seeing how we'll cope without O'Driscoll..we can also throw D'arcy into that bracket and give him a break for a few games.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 20 Feb 2012, 6:42 pm

Kearney was brilliant under the high ball against Wales, it has been a long time since I have seen such aerial dominance, the last time was SA in the 2009 tri nations.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 20 Feb 2012, 6:44 pm

Fly means Kearney's younger brother biltong. He is also a very classy player and is on the verge of breaking into the first 15.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 20 Feb 2012, 6:48 pm

Oh, OK, don't know of him.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 20 Feb 2012, 7:00 pm

Keep an eye on him biltong, very very good player.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 21 Feb 2012, 6:20 am

I went on to the Irish rugby website, I see there aren't many youngsters in the Irish squad though.

Eoin O'Malley age 23, uncapped
Dave Kearney age 22, uncapped
Peter O'Mahoney age 22, uncapped
Simon Zebo age 21, uncapped
Rhys Ruddock age 21, 1 cap
conor Murray age 21, 7 caps

Any I am missing?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 21 Feb 2012, 6:37 am

There is some pretty good talent in the U20 side biltong. JJ Hanrahan looks to be a very good prospect and one to keep your eyes on.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 21 Feb 2012, 6:38 am

Do you think these guys I mentioned will all get a run during the 6 Nations?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 21 Feb 2012, 6:47 am

Connor Murray has already got a Run this 6N
Peter O'Mahoney will certainly play some part

Simon Zebo and Dave Kearney might.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Tue 21 Feb 2012, 7:54 am

biltongbek wrote:Kearney was brilliant under the high ball against Wales, it has been a long time since I have seen such aerial dominance, the last time was SA in the 2009 tri nations.

I think you're going to have to get you're stats out to back that statement

Perhaps beer clouded my judgement but other than one jump He was ok.

slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 21 Feb 2012, 10:07 am

slartibartfast wrote:
biltongbek wrote:Kearney was brilliant under the high ball against Wales, it has been a long time since I have seen such aerial dominance, the last time was SA in the 2009 tri nations.

I think you're going to have to get you're stats out to back that statement

Perhaps beer clouded my judgement but other than one jump He was ok.

Slarti, I can remember about 3 jumps, without stats. thumbsup
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 21 Feb 2012, 10:18 am

The highest any Irish player got on that day was 'ok'...the lowest some of them got was 'awful'.. the worst thing on display was the alleged 'gameplan'

Therefore, it shows how good we could be if we get our act together, because we were still only 3 points short of a win against a team playing out of their socks and stuffed with talent, stamina, pace and invention...oh and them very big supergiant, superfit, supertalented backs...... Wink

Go figure...now where's that thumbs up symbol? thumbsup oh there it is.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 21 Feb 2012, 10:23 am

Kearney is back to his best for sure, actually I think hes playing better now than on the Lions tour. He plucked one straight out of Beales hands in the RWC too. In my opinion hes the best player under the high ball in the world right now. Ireland need to get him into the attacking line more as Leinster have done.

Dave Kearney is a serious talent. Better in attack than Rob in my opinion.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next