The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Irish Players to Watch

+13
Sin é
LeinsterFan4life
pete (buachaill on eirne)
eirebilly
Mickado
Kingshu
caoimhincentre
Gibson
red_stag
rodders
Notch
Rory_Gallagher
MBTGOG
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Irish Players to Watch Empty Irish Players to Watch

Post by MBTGOG Mon 23 Jul 2012, 6:19 pm

Luke Marshall- Paddy Wallace will be 33 at season's beginning and after a career full of physical punishment on his relatively light torso, you get the sense his game is going decline more rapidly over the coming season. This in turn offers a prime opportunity for the talented young Ulsterman to make a play at the No. 12 shirt over this coming season. The Ballymena man reminds me somewhat of Luke McCalister, both in dimensions, under 6 foot but with powerful builds but their strength lies in their creative skills. At the 2011 iRB Junior World Championsip, it seems as though Ruddock was captivated by Marshall's size and used him as a crash centre which was a crying shame given his ability to potentially open up games with his arsenal of skills. This is not to say that his size isn't an advantage as it gives him a little more space and time.

What might work against him is what would seem like Ulster placing all their chips on Paddy Jackson in the key pivot role. You can either see them sticking with Wallace to balance up the experience loss with Jackson at 10 or wanting to plug Spence into the line up and offer the strong defender and crash ball option at 12. Marshall might be young but the 21 year old has the full package. His passing range is strong and due to his size has a good ability to suck in defenders freeing up outside runners. He may not have top end speed but he is quick and could cause real danger if he makes it past the first line of defence while he also offers another kicking option from a wider channel to take the heat off the stand off.

Making a prediction for how he will do this year is tough as Anscombe is an unknown quantity at this level so we don't know what his policy on youth will be but I expect Marshall to make a big impact in the Rabo this season and to gain some valuable H Cup experience as well.

Andrew Conway- I saw resident poster draw a comparison with Conway to Denis Hickie, the former Leinster flyer, which I thought apt. What is more exciting for Irish fans though is Conway has more to his game than Hickie did. The hype started on Conway while still in Ireland's most famous rugby school, Blackrock College. I remember watching the Junior Cup final when they beat St. Michaels in the final, who actually played fantastically well in that match but Conway's devastating running from deep clinched the title for 'Rock. He played all his schools rugby at full back but it would seem that wing is the most likely position for him at senior level.

At U20s, he played two seasons, winning a 6 Nations Championship in 2010 and ending up joint top try scorer at that level in the iRB JWC. Conway is a quick livewire outside back who certainly goes against the current trend of large powerful wingers. What I am interested to see is how Schmidt, probably the foremost attacking mind in the Northern Hemisphere gets the ball into the hands of Conway who has fantastic acceleration and his ability to change direction at such pace is a rare asset. While he has put on a bit of bulk since he first made his debut for Leinster, Schmidt will want to avoid him getting clogged up in midfield unless favourable match ups can be found against tight forwards. In space though, he could be a difference maker for an already intimidating Leinster outfit.
My prediction is Conway won't make it into Leinster's first team this season with the strength they have in the outside backs but we'll see him develop more in the Rabo and for 606ers to be calling for him to start on the wing for Ireland because of it Wink

Ian Nagle- This time last season Nagle was seen as heir apparent along with Donncha Ryan to Munster's long time boiler room attendants. After this past season I have seen some suggesting that Foley might be the player instead. One season is not enough to rule out a player. We saw that with Devin Toner at Leinster this season where some were saying his just didn't have the temperament or attitude to make it yet he showed the doubters otherwise with a solid season.

As with Ryan before him, Nagle has got as tough an ask as it comes with three Irish internationals ahead of him. Every opportunity he gets, he will need to take it with both hands and more. Paul O'Connell is still the premier lock in Ireland but his body is struggling more and more to cope with the demands of rugby. Nagle could be the foil that Ryan needs when O'Connell isn't playing. He is a fantastic athlete for a man his size but it is his effort in defense which really makes him stand out.

My prediction is Nagle to make a real impact this season and to remove O'Callaghan from the 23 at Munster.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Irish Players to Watch Empty Re: Irish Players to Watch

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 23 Jul 2012, 6:59 pm

Nice article MBTGOG - Will be interesting to see if any of those guys manage to get good game time this season. Marshall had a pretty awful season, Nagle is going to struggle with the other options ahead of him and it is the same story for Conway. They are all talented guys though.

My players to watch this season are Dominic Ryan, Nevin Spence, Craig Gilroy, JJ Hanrahan and Ian Henderson.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 23 Jul 2012, 7:13 pm

Big, big season for Luke Marshall. Ireland needs some young 12 to put their hand up. There will be a lot of expectation on Marshall. But you're 100% correct; if Jackson starts as our 10, the experience and authority of the veteran Wallace could well mean his opportunities are limited.

I'm not sure if I fully agree with you on Wallace being likely to decline rapidly over the next year. Remember he went through a lot of seasons where he didn't play much rugby and he hasn't had much in the way of injuries- all his injuries seem to have been knocks to the head! It's back and calf injuries that really inhibit players careers. Think of the likes of Flannery. Last season PW actually seemed to have gained a yard of pace and looked fitter than ever. I think he can go on to 35, 36. He might move inside to 10 though as he gets older. Ideally he'll slowly be phased out of being an automatic choice across the next few seasons; but that depends on Marshall putting his hand up for Ulster.

And I'm excited to see what Marshall can do. Anscombe in his few press conferences and interviews to date has put a big emphasis on getting young guys to believe they can win places on merit. I really think he will pick them if they are good enough. Luke Marshall may not start the season as first choice 12 ahead of Paddy Wallace but I really, really hope he finishes it neck and neck with his mentor and older rival.

Last edited by Notch on Mon 23 Jul 2012, 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 23 Jul 2012, 7:24 pm

Re Paddy Wallace:

Apart from a disasterous performance against the ABs, which in part was understandable as he'd been thrown in with minimal preperation after being plucked from his holidays, I thought Paddy played the best rugby of his career last season. I don't think hes in decline but getting better with age.

In terms of the op:

Ian Madigan, David Kearney and JJ Hanaran are my players to watch this year. I think these guys are the most exciting young players in the country right now and, at a time when a lot of the more senior Irish backs are lacking pace and creativity in attack, I really they can step up to the plate.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Mon 23 Jul 2012, 7:40 pm

Well, we will have to see on the Wallace front but I think he will slow down over this next year, especially for the centre position.

Rodders,

I chose these players in particular as they are under the radar somewhat. The three you have mentioned are all touted as men to save Irish rugby from impending doom (well according to this forum and my exaggeration of those opinions). These three are men who are all very talented rugby players who maybe have had a quieter season this past year.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 23 Jul 2012, 9:43 pm

Your Ian Nagle is the one that interests me most. I personally will be astounded and I think Dave Foley could well over take him as the "promising young lock" at Munster.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 23 Jul 2012, 10:19 pm

Dave O'Callaghan? I like the cut of that guys jib.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Mon 23 Jul 2012, 11:02 pm

Rodders,

I did consider him but there is just something about Nagle that I thought it was right to include him. O'Callaghan is an interesting one. I'd be quite excited to see a back row of him at 6, O'Mahoney playing at 7 and Stander locking in at 8. What I've seen of him, he is a good ball carrying option for the rare attribute of actually running onto the ball though that could have been coached out of him by now. Due to his size and experience at lock, he'll provide another line out option at the tail and he has a big motor in the defensive side of the game.

Stag,

Why would it surprise you? Did he really show that little? Do you maybe think it might have been second season blues? Why do you think Foley has it?

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 23 Jul 2012, 11:33 pm

Firstly, Nagle won't play any rugby til November til November due to injury. If he wanted to make his claim he needs to strike early when O'Callaghan, O'Connell and Ryan are away.

I'm not sure it was second season syndrome. I think rather like Tim Ryan against the All Blacks maybe there was a little too much to read into that one game against Australia. He has some talent but you need more than talent to break into Munster's second row.

I think Foley looked good in the four or five matches I saw from him, eager to work, good in the lineout and just a hint of that mad Tipperary lunatic that you find in Denis Leamy, Donnachy Ryan, Alan Quinlan and Sin É

Munsty - yea thats an interesting backrow.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 23 Jul 2012, 11:38 pm

I'm actually really excited about Iain Henderson. I think he could get some very good gametime next year in the backrow.

All of a sudden we have some depth there.

6- Ferris, Henderson
7- Birch, Doyle
8- Wilson, Diack
6 and 8- Nick Williams
6, 7 and 8- Chris Henry

Think Chris Henry is going to be seen as an out and out openside, but who knows what Anscome thinks? Maybe he'll opt for a pacy link man.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 23 Jul 2012, 11:38 pm

red_stag wrote:I think Foley looked good in the four or five matches I saw from him, eager to work, good in the lineout and just a hint of that mad Tipperary lunatic that you find in Denis Leamy, Donnachy Ryan, Alan Quinlan and Sin É

Laugh
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Mon 23 Jul 2012, 11:44 pm

Stag,

That's what some were saying about Ryan having that one big performance against New Zealand. Also, if I'm not mistaken, Nagle has a couple more good performances after that Aus one, maybe against Ulster?

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue 24 Jul 2012, 4:12 am

red_stag wrote:Firstly, Nagle won't play any rugby til November til November due to injury. If he wanted to make his claim he needs to strike early when O'Callaghan, O'Connell and Ryan are away.

I'm not sure it was second season syndrome. I think rather like Tim Ryan against the All Blacks maybe there was a little too much to read into that one game against Australia. He has some talent but you need more than talent to break into Munster's second row.

I think Foley looked good in the four or five matches I saw from him, eager to work, good in the lineout and just a hint of that mad Tipperary lunatic that you find in Denis Leamy, Donnachy Ryan, Alan Quinlan and Sin É

Munsty - yea thats an interesting backrow.

I laffed at this. A lot.

Im voting it V2 Quote Of the Year 2012.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Tue 24 Jul 2012, 9:37 am

i agree with Marshall. its amazing how we have struggled to produce centres in recent years. in terms of Ireland BOD and D'arcy have pretty much had the monopoly since 04.
we seem to dismiss young players sometimes here.

Personally (others will disagree) i think earls is a centre but really hasnt been given the opportunity to play there.

Are we really not developing centres or do we just not give them a chance.

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 24 Jul 2012, 10:09 am

caoimhincentre wrote:Are we really not developing centres or do we just not give them a chance.

The latter I think. I think theres been some excellent centres who've come through over the past decade but because they didn't fit the mould, or had areas they needed to work on they've been shipped out to the wing.

Trimble would have been a fantastic centre imo, McFadden, Whitten and now Spence... non given a chance to develop in midfield. Ironically D'arcy was a winger who became a centre.

Munster have had too many NIE centres and D'arcy, BOD and Paddy Wallace have had 3 of the other 4 positions at Ulster/Leinster tied up for a decade. That basically means Cave and Earls occaisionally have been the only 2 who've had a much of a chance.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue 24 Jul 2012, 10:28 am

some good centre at the minute, Cave Marshall, Griffen Mcsharry, Leinster have a number, could the Connacht centres be better than the Munster ones?

Griffin, McSharry and Poolman
V
Downey, Earls and Laulala

Maybe not better but they do have more potentional.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 24 Jul 2012, 10:39 am

From an Irish perspective if Sexton moved to the centre and Madigan got the 10 shirt at Leinster that would be fantastic.

Sexton links with BOD as good as any player I've seen, including Horgan..the 2 just have an almost telepathic understanding and Sexton has the size and pace to play in midfield.

Eventually Hanaran would come through and replace BOD and Jackson and Keatley would add depth at 10.

Next RWC we would have a backline of:

9. Murray 10. Madigan 11. Gilroy 12. Sexton 13. Hanaran 14. D. Kearney 15. R. Kearney

That is my masterplan Cool .
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Tue 24 Jul 2012, 10:43 am

rodders wrote:From an Irish perspective if Sexton moved to the centre and Madigan got the 10 shirt at Leinster that would be fantastic.

Sexton links with BOD as good as any player I've seen, including Horgan..the 2 just have an almost telepathic understanding and Sexton has the size and pace to play in midfield.

Eventually Hanaran would come through and replace BOD and Jackson and Keatley would add depth at 10.

Next RWC we would have a backline of:

9. Murray 10. Madigan 11. Gilroy 12. Sexton 13. Hanaran 14. D. Kearney 15. R. Kearney

That is my masterplan Cool .

do you see Hanaran moving to 13?

Personally i have my concerns about Madigan controlling important games (only because he hasnt had the chance yet) but i agree he is a very exciting FH, great pass, speed attacks the line.

was interesting whe ROG came on against the AB's in the second half BOD moved to 1st and sexton to second. probably when we were at our most dangerous during the 3 tests

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 24 Jul 2012, 10:54 am

caoimhincentre wrote:
was interesting whe ROG came on against the AB's in the second half BOD moved to 1st and sexton to second. probably when we were at our most dangerous during the 3 tests

Yup, it was the most creative we were in the backs in a long, long time... thats why I believe it will work.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 24 Jul 2012, 10:59 am

I saw resident poster draw a comparison with Conway to Denis Hickie, the former Leinster flyer, which I thought apt.

I would appreciate it if you name checked me when you referenced my work Wink

With Horgan retired and D.Kearney and Fitzgerald injured Conway will see a lot of game time in the early part of the season, if he does well he'll keep his place. Excitement, she wrote.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Tue 24 Jul 2012, 11:04 am

Mickado wrote:
I saw resident poster draw a comparison with Conway to Denis Hickie, the former Leinster flyer, which I thought apt.

With Horgan retired and D.Kearney and Fitzgerald injured Conway will see a lot of game time in the early part of the season, if he does well he'll keep his place. Excitement, she wrote.

hopefully we will see more of him this year. had a rough year last year with injury. it will be interesting to see if he will get more game time with Carr (oh why did you leave connacht)

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 24 Jul 2012, 11:09 am

caoimhincentre wrote:
Mickado wrote:

hopefully we will see more of him this year. had a rough year last year with injury. it will be interesting to see if he will get more game time with Carr (oh why did you leave connacht)

Well, Carr and Conway are the only 2 wingers who are not injured and available from the start of the season, excluding academy wingers (Hudson, Coughlan-Murray, Boyle), so they should both get a good few runs together at the start of the season, and when R.Kearney is back, Nacewa could well replace one of them.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Tue 24 Jul 2012, 11:21 am

Mick,

Sorry, I did actually mean to put your name there. My apologies.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 24 Jul 2012, 11:44 am

MBTGOG wrote:Mick,

Sorry, I did actually mean to put your name there. My apologies.

Only kidding mate. Smile

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Tue 24 Jul 2012, 11:48 am

Rodders,

That's an interesting midfield you've got there. I'd suggest that it lacks the ballast needed at this level. A lot of creativity but who is the guy that runs the straight line. With that, you'll need the backrow to step up their ball carrying efforts especially because the wings you picked won't provide much strength in that area either.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 24 Jul 2012, 11:56 am

Thats a fair point Munsty and one I've considered.

Sexton is deceptively strong but yes ideally you'd have more power there.

However what you have is a trio of guys with genuine pace, skill and vision and the ability to create space for each other, as does Dave Kearney, with Gilroy a natural finisher on the wing.

Don't forget too that Hanaran, Madigan, K2 and Gilroy are not fully developed and will get stronger physically, especially Hanaran.

If there were some real exciting big, powerful 3/4s there that would be ideal, but Spence and maybe Farrell apart there's not many fit that mould.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Tue 24 Jul 2012, 12:01 pm

Well Spence is one straight up that could work and has shown he has the class to play at H Cup level anyway. I don't know how Macken is going to do but he certainly has the size to fill that role.

Also, as I stated in the article, Marshall has the size to play a multitude of roles in that second five position.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 24 Jul 2012, 12:08 pm

Farrell is an enourmous lump, he really looked the part in the JWC but with the amount of young centers at Ulster he will have to play out of his skin to get any gametime, plenty of time for him though, and working with McLaughlin in the Ulster academy will only be a good thing.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 24 Jul 2012, 12:10 pm

Just read this, top read Munsty Ok!
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 24 Jul 2012, 12:27 pm

I think if one of them is going to move to centre it will be Madigan. The pair were on during a HCup match this year and Madigan played at 12 and played very well.
Sexton and Madigan could well be two of our best players and I really want to see them on the pitch if they can create a 10-12 axis and it works that would be sensational. Fingers crossed.

Imagine this...

09- Murray
10- Madigan
11- Earls
12- Sexton
13- Bowe
14- Gilroy
15- Kearney

21- McGrath
22- Spence
23- Kearney Jr

What about a different player to watch who could well be about to have his real breakthrough season and establish himself as number 1 in his position in the best team in Europe..................Devin Toner?

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue 24 Jul 2012, 12:33 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:I think if one of them is going to move to centre it will be Madigan. The pair were on during a HCup match this year and Madigan played at 12 and played very well.
Sexton and Madigan could well be two of our best players and I really want to see them on the pitch if they can create a 10-12 axis and it works that would be sensational. Fingers crossed.

Imagine this...

09- Murray
10- Madigan
11- Earls
12- Sexton
13- Bowe
14- Gilroy
15- Kearney

21- McGrath
22- Spence
23- Kearney Jr

What about a different player to watch who could well be about to have his real breakthrough season and establish himself as number 1 in his position in the best team in Europe..................Devin Toner?
I was shocked when mccarthy got on the irish team ahead of toner for the summer tour.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 24 Jul 2012, 12:49 pm

Me too. And while I wouldn't have put DOC in there I understood why he was there but Toner is now playing some pretty damn good stuff and apparently has put on some more weight as well so hopefully he can stay in the picture in terms of Irish selection and force his way into a few match day squads.

If Thorn was coming back I'd start Toner ahead of Cullen I gotta say despite Leo's work in the maul and breakdown.

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 24 Jul 2012, 12:57 pm

MBTGOG wrote:Well Spence is one straight up that could work and has shown he has the class to play at H Cup level anyway. I don't know how Macken is going to do but he certainly has the size to fill that role.

Also, as I stated in the article, Marshall has the size to play a multitude of roles in that second five position.

Well Spence has potential but plenty to prove.

Marshall was playing at Ballymena RFC last year and is a long way off right now. He needs to reestablish himself at Ulster.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 24 Jul 2012, 1:00 pm

red_stag wrote:

I think Foley looked good in the four or five matches I saw from him, eager to work, good in the lineout and just a hint of that mad Tipperary lunatic that you find in Denis Leamy, Donnachy Ryan, Alan Quinlan and Sin É.

Very Happy Thats right, no messing with us Tipp folk.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Tue 24 Jul 2012, 1:45 pm

rodders wrote:
MBTGOG wrote:Well Spence is one straight up that could work and has shown he has the class to play at H Cup level anyway. I don't know how Macken is going to do but he certainly has the size to fill that role.

Well Spence has potential but plenty to prove.

Marshall was playing at Ballymena RFC last year and is a long way off right now. He needs to reestablish himself at Ulster.

Both those statements could be said the same of Hanrahan except Hanrahan was at UL Bohs yet you want him thrown straight in.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 24 Jul 2012, 1:45 pm

rodders, apparently Marshall wanted to leave to get gametime but Humphreys told him this season would be his big chance to prove himself as Wallaces understudy/long term replacement.

I know you were fairly disgruntled about Whitten being allowed to leave but it does show how much faith the Ulster management have in Luke coming good long term. They seem to think he can make the breakthrough this year. So I'm moderately excited to see what he can do...

Last year he had a bit of a nightmare time with injuries, no sense in holding him back. With a good pre-season it could well be his time to shine.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 24 Jul 2012, 1:50 pm

Notch thats good news indeed, I'd love to see Marshall back in the fold.

I'm not disgruntled about Whitten at all, was disappointed to lose a good squad man but nothing more. Marshall and Spence are the guys with the bigger potential.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Tue 24 Jul 2012, 2:01 pm

A Marshall and Spence partnership in midfield in certainly an exciting prospect. An entertaining offshoot of that will be Jim Nelly's massive problems trying to identify which blonde was which.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 24 Jul 2012, 2:37 pm

Should be fun alright!

Darren Cave won't be available for the first two Pro12 games after the Summer Tour and Paddy Wallace had an operation after that disastrous All Blacks test and he'll be on a similar schedule; eased back in gently.

So there's a good chance Luke Marshall and Nevin Spence will be our centres. It could be a very youthful backline that starts next season for us with Pienaar, Wallace and Cave all missing.

9. Paul Marshall
10. Paddy Jackson
11. Craig Gilroy
12. Luke Marshall
13. Nevin Spence
14. Tommy Bowe
15. Jared Payne

Jared Payne is the key man. Will be interesting to see if Anscombe does anything unexpected like shift Bowe or Payne to 13 to help that very talented but very inexperienced 10-12 axis.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 24 Jul 2012, 2:40 pm

More of this from the lad would be nice;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP0xfxEC0PE
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 24 Jul 2012, 2:43 pm

Notch wrote:More of this from the lad would be nice;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP0xfxEC0PE
Shame you've lost iHump's vision to create these, Notch?! Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 24 Jul 2012, 2:49 pm

Yeah a little bit. Could be a rocky start for us but long term benefit is sure to follow.

Jackson is young and he may be inconsistent as he continues to adapt to this level. But he's going to be our 10 for the next 10/12 years. The way the IRFU have it you have to develop players to fill these key roles. We're not like the English and French, we can't just get in a ringer all the time. Maybe once... if we're good. But right now the men in the suits say we're not allowed!

Anyway, look how Glasgow initially struggled then flourished when Parks left and Weir/Jackson stepped in. It's kind of similar. Parks had strengths which won games for Glasgow but he also had his fair share of limitations as well. I'm really looking forward to the Glasgow game. It's going to be interesting; from our point view I just hope its a level playing field in terms of internationals being available Shocked

Obviously our Irish internationals will all be rested.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 24 Jul 2012, 2:51 pm

Notch wrote:Yeah a little bit. Could be a rocky start for us but long term benefit is sure to follow.

Jackson is young and he may be inconsistent as he continues to adapt to this level. But he's going to be our 10 for the next 10/12 years. The way the IRFU have it you have to develop players to fill these key roles. We're not like the English and French, we can't just get in a ringer all the time. Maybe once... if we're good. But right now the men in the suits say we're not allowed!

Anyway, look how Glasgow initially struggled then flourished when Parks left and Weir/Jackson stepped in. It's kind of similar. Parks had strengths which won games for Glasgow but he also had his fair share of limitations as well. I'm really looking forward to the Glasgow game. It's going to be interesting; from our point view I just hope its a level playing field in terms of internationals being available Shocked

Obviously our Irish internationals will all be rested.
Me too, a first visit to Ravenhill, can't wait

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue 24 Jul 2012, 2:53 pm

From a personal point of view I'm looking forward to seeing how two Irish lads who are not at Irish clubs do. Dave and Timmy Ryan, partially because they are from my own club but they showed glimpses of promise at munster. Dave will come on a lot from his time inItaly his scrummaging has improved. I think at least one has declared for the US unfortunately.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue 24 Jul 2012, 2:59 pm

Thomand i think it was dave ryan who declared for the US

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 24 Jul 2012, 3:02 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Me too, a first visit to Ravenhill, can't wait

It's a real old-school ground Smile

Hope you're getting tickets for the Prom?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 24 Jul 2012, 3:07 pm

Notch wrote:

I am in the hands of the maestro OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue 24 Jul 2012, 3:08 pm

I'm not sure if he was capped L4L I know he was in their squad. I don't think he was capped though so if he performs well in the Pro 12 you never know.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 24 Jul 2012, 3:45 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
Notch wrote:

I am in the hands of the maestro OK

thumbsup

Hope to see you there!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 24 Jul 2012, 4:01 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
Me too, a first visit to Ravenhill, can't wait

You are in for a treat ASBO...nothing compares to seeing Sparky in the flesh for the first time... Smile guinness
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next