The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bok Team announced for Australia: Goosen at 10, Morne out.

+17
emack2
Morgannwg
disneychilly
Londonirishollie
thebluesmancometh
Ifandorbut
Full Credit
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Taylorman
jbeadlesbigrighthand
kiakahaaotearoa
MMaaxx
GunsGerms
Ozzy3213
chewed_mintie
FerN
Biltong
21 posters

Go down

Bok Team announced for Australia: Goosen at 10, Morne out. Empty Bok Team announced for Australia: Goosen at 10, Morne out.

Post by Biltong Wed 26 Sep 2012, 11:56 am

Team:

1. Beast Mtawarira
2. Adriaan Strauss
3. Jannie du Plessis
4. Eben Etzebeth
5. Andries Bekker
6. Frans Louw
7. Willem Alberts
8. Duane Vermeulen
9. Ruan Pienaar
10. Johan Goosen
11. Francois Hougaard
12. Jean de Villiers/ Jaco Taute/ Frans Steyn
13. Jaco Taute/Jean de Villiers
14. Bryan Habana
15. Zane Kirchner

16. Tiaan Liebenberg
17. Coenie Oosthuizen
18. Flip v d Merwe
19. Marcelle Coetzee
20. Elton Jantjies
21. Juan de Jongh/Taute
22. Pat Lambie.

Frans Steyn is not yet cleared, so if Frans doesn't play, then it will be Jean de Villiers at 12 with Taute at 13 and Juan de Jongh on the bench. If Frans Steyn does play then Taute will be on the bench.

The most important decision was without a doubt the selection of Johan Goosen, some speculated that if he is selected, Morne Steyn is most likely to be on the bench, however Elton Jantjies is the back up fly half.

During the interview Heyneke Meyer was asked whether Johan Goosen would be allowed to play his own game and the answer was an emphatic yes. "Players have carte blanche to play the way they see fit"

This in itself is a very important slight on Morne Steyn, as although he plays within a gameplan, it means he was reading the situation and making the calls as he saw fit.

Perhaps Johan Goosen will make the difference we have been waiting for. It is important for the sake of Bok rugby that Goosen makes a difference, the alternative is ...well just unthinkable.

Now only how do we get rid of Zane Kirchner and Jean de Villiers?

Other issues that were discussed was the selection of Alberts and Etzebeth in place of Flip v d Merwe and Juandre Kruger, and the thinking there was that firstly they expect a more open game from the australians, hence the selection and also the fact that Bekker, Vermeulen and Etzebeth know Tiaan Liebenberg well as they play together at the Stormers.

Overall it seems to be an improvement, let's hope for a good one.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Bok Team announced for Australia: Goosen at 10, Morne out. Empty Re: Bok Team announced for Australia: Goosen at 10, Morne out.

Post by FerN Wed 26 Sep 2012, 12:09 pm

Just wanted to post this link

Springbok Team

Would want Taute at 15 and maybe JdJ at 13

FerN

Back to top Go down

Bok Team announced for Australia: Goosen at 10, Morne out. Empty Re: Bok Team announced for Australia: Goosen at 10, Morne out.

Post by Biltong Wed 26 Sep 2012, 12:11 pm

We're almost there, get Jean de Villiers and Kirchner out of that team and I will start believing.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Wed 26 Sep 2012, 12:11 pm

Good. Though would it kill Meyer to put Lambie in at 15 over Kirchner?

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Wed 26 Sep 2012, 12:11 pm

Clearly from this Meyer does not see Lambie as a 10, and I am guessing he is covering centre and full back from the bench.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 26 Sep 2012, 12:13 pm

I agree Ozzy, I think Meyer sees Taute as his next 15, he was praising Taute and said he had this guy in his starting 15 from before the english tour. He was saying Taute weighs over 100kg and runs the 100 meters in 10.7.

He clearly has a lot of belief in him.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by FerN Wed 26 Sep 2012, 12:16 pm

Biltong wrote:I agree Ozzy, I think Meyer sees Taute as his next 15, he was praising Taute and said he had this guy in his starting 15 from before the english tour. He was saying Taute weighs over 100kg and runs the 100 meters in 10.7.

He clearly has a lot of belief in him.

I would also choose Taute (and some others) above Lambie for FB. Lambie is condemned to be the "perfect bench player"

FerN

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 26 Sep 2012, 12:17 pm

Saw this earlier. Good to see Goosen start. Was impressed with him in the super 15.

SA rugby can be very like Irish rugby whereby it can be harder to get out of the team than into it for some players, Smit (before), Steyn etc.

We have our own Steyn in O'Gara who has been lingering like a bad smell for a long time now.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by MMaaxx Wed 26 Sep 2012, 12:45 pm

Good looking team.

Many young players with 6 of the matchday 22 being under 21.

Regarding Zane at 15 he remains solid while being unspectacular. I would prefer a bit more speed and flair there but Zane is OK (I think unofficial quota policies may be at play here unfortunately). He does finish off tries pretty well usually and is solid on defence so while Zane will not cost SA the match he will not win it for them either.

The loose forwards look a bit slow and could do with a bit more dynamism but Meyer seldomly likes to choose skill and Flair over size and power. Hopefully they can manage getting to the rucks all game fast enough as I am tired of seeing SA bettered in this department recently which historically has always been one of our biggest strengths.

That said, I've got a good feeling for this weekend and think it'll be the start of Meyer's turnaround as coach

MMaaxx

Location : New place every week, live between SA, Porugal and UK

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 26 Sep 2012, 12:53 pm

I really hope Goosen has a good game this weekend. He deserves it and so too does SA. I feel for M. Steyn because the comments that players are able to adapt their game as they see fit seems like a big fat cover up for Meyer's own stubborn tactics and failure to put Goosen on sooner when Steyn kept missing goals.

Still, there can be no room for sentimentality and what we all said should happen has now happened. So at least Meyer has realised and owned up to the error of his ways. Has it come in time and is Goosen ready for a full 80 minutes? I certainly hope so.

Good to see Taute has come into the squad. I remember you said he was your man Biltong for the 15 jersey instead of Kirchner. Frankly I'd rather have Aplon than Kirchner but Meyer doesn't like short people.

Pienaar can thank his lucky stars that he is still in the squad after some atrocious kicking in NZ. Will he play as he sees fit or will the bombs still come against Australia? I certainly hope not.

Now all that remains is get JP Pietersen back to full fitness, Burger as well and those are your leaders for SA with Burger taking the captaincy and JP the backline generalship. Get your injured players back and Goosen running things and keep ball in hand more whilst maintaining the forward aggression and this Bok outfit seems much more formidable and gives me the heebie jeebies. Goosen's selection is a step in that direction and it should be applauded. Now it's up to the young man to restore that faith and underline the error of Meyer's ways. That will help the next selection decisions and move the mighty Boks in the right direction we all know they can play.

Good luck for the weekend. World rugby is watching closely. I don't want to entertain what a loss will do to Meyer's selections.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by MMaaxx Wed 26 Sep 2012, 1:24 pm

JP, Bismark and Burger (though I have my doubts he'll be back) in the starting 15

Move Hougard, Strauss and Alberts to the bench which would give the Boks serious impact in the final 20 especially considering the addition of Coenie.

However the player I want back most is Juan Smith! I think he would be the perfect replacement for Bakkis as the enforcer lock and considering his age it might be the move to prolong his career

MMaaxx

Location : New place every week, live between SA, Porugal and UK

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Wed 26 Sep 2012, 1:27 pm

Apologies if this has already been pointed out, but that Bok pack is ENORMOUS. That is going to be some serious power play from the Boks.

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by FerN Wed 26 Sep 2012, 2:49 pm

MMaaxx wrote:Regarding Zane at 15 he remains solid while being unspectacular. I would prefer a bit more speed and flair there but Zane is OK (I think unofficial quota policies may be at play here unfortunately). He does finish off tries pretty well usually and is solid on defence so while Zane will not cost SA the match he will not win it for them either.

From the S15, the only fullbacks that played better than Zane was Joe Pietersen and Aplon and we both know that they are not going to be selected because of there size. This season Lambie wasn't good under the high ball when he played 15, which is probably the biggest thing a FB gets chosen on. (I know he was injured, but he wasn't injured the whole season) Zane also has a decent boot for clearing. I haven't watched most of the Lions games, but whenever I did, Taute did impress as well as when Willie le Roux (Cheetahs/Griquas) when he played there or on the wing for that matter.

Lambie and JdJ doesn't fit the player profile (tall and heavy) that Heineke wants.

For fullback, he will probably choose (in likelyhood) either Kirchner, Taute, Frans Steyn, Lambie or le Roux (unlikely).

For his centres he will probably choose (in likelyhood) Frans, JdV, Taute, JdJ, Lambie

His flyhalves (in likelyhood now) Goosen, Morne (even though he isn't in the 22 this is probably HM's list), Elton, Lambie

FerN

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed 26 Sep 2012, 5:50 pm

Good news biltong. One test really worth watching because of goosens selection. My guess is they'll target him and who knows from there. Its a bit of a burden but he's been intro'd nicely off the bench first.

At home he should be ok and wish him all the best. A potentially fantastic career ahead.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Sat 29 Sep 2012, 4:20 pm

Still 0-0 after 15, both teams pretty even. 1 missed pen for Barnes vs 2 misses for Goosen so far
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Sat 29 Sep 2012, 4:27 pm

Good try for Kirchner, converted by Pienaar. 7-0
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Sat 29 Sep 2012, 4:29 pm

South Africa 7
Australia 0
Pointless Australian kicks 4

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Sat 29 Sep 2012, 4:32 pm

Good break by Goosen, brought down inches short, driven over by his forwards but the TMO decided he'd not released the ball in time.

Slight edge for the Bok forwards now
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Sat 29 Sep 2012, 4:36 pm

Habana in. This could be a rout
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Ifandorbut Sat 29 Sep 2012, 4:37 pm

The Bok's are playing well with ball in hand, great try by habana.
Ifandorbut
Ifandorbut

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 29 Sep 2012, 4:39 pm

Are Aus in for a tonking here, they look very out of sorts.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Sat 29 Sep 2012, 4:50 pm

Kirchner in again? TMO time, and Aus 13 (AAC?) has been knocked out trying to make the tackle. His head bounced off the turf Sad

Tough call for the TMO, foot just in touch I think ... No try
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Sat 29 Sep 2012, 4:52 pm

AAC stretchered off Sad

Half time 14-3 to the Boks. And they've missed 4 shots at goal
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Sat 29 Sep 2012, 4:52 pm

AAC out cold. Boks should be out by 20 by now.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Londonirishollie Sat 29 Sep 2012, 5:04 pm

Can't watch it. So how well is Goosen playing. Has he justified his selection??

Londonirishollie

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Sat 29 Sep 2012, 5:09 pm

Yeah I'd say he has LIH. Missed the first two so JDV gave Pienaar the kicks, but he hasn't let that dent his confidence and is running the show nicely. Taking the line on and ensuring the Boks are playing with greater width. Great to see and I'm enjoying watching the Boks at the moment Smile

The Aussie pack just aren't at the races and their backs aren't doing anything.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Sat 29 Sep 2012, 5:10 pm

Londonirishollie wrote:Can't watch it. So how well is Goosen playing. Has he justified his selection??

Very good ball in hand. Missed his 2 shots at goal then Pienaar took over.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Sat 29 Sep 2012, 5:35 pm

I'm glad the Wallabies waited until the 65th minute before they decided to start playing some rugby.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 29 Sep 2012, 5:38 pm

You've got to feel for Australia. Their players are dropping like flies and they have a ridiculous amount of injuries. Their backline looks like it's just been hobbled together but they finally get Beale to create some space and get a well deserved try. Rolland seems incapable of enforcing an offside line and both sides have been allowed to creep up way over the line and I think that has benefited the smothering SA defence.

Habana has impressed tonight and that was smart thinking shadowing the ball over the touchline and then going for a quick throw. Australia were caught napping.

SA have this game but have allowed Australia to come back into the game. I think they're thinking of next week. It's going to be a great game. The Pumas will fancy their chances and the ABs will be worried that SA look much better with Goosen. And I welcome that. They'll know they have to bring their best game if they want to win.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sat 29 Sep 2012, 5:42 pm

Interesting call. Aus took that out on purpose then pinched the Bok lineout because they are missing their hooker, smart. No doubt you are pleased with todays game bilton?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Sat 29 Sep 2012, 5:44 pm

Yeah, if our injury toll was beyond a joke before this game it's bloody ridiculous now. We're going to finish this game with 12 blokes on the field.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 29 Sep 2012, 5:48 pm

Miracle work from Beale and then JDV straightens up and gives a good pass but I think it was a mistake to think Pienaar had the legs. Would've been better to come back the other way away from the covering defence. Welcome action though after this game fizzled out.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sat 29 Sep 2012, 5:51 pm

Beale has looked good at 10, at least that is one crisis sorted. Now all Deans need to do is find more players to inside and outside the 10...
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sat 29 Sep 2012, 5:55 pm

Boks win with a bonus point,Argentina win tonight and it`s there for the Boks.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Sat 29 Sep 2012, 5:58 pm

Well played boks, powered us all over the park. Great to see the boks running, making of a good side I reckon. Pienaar looked very good tonight, experience sure shows.

Well played boks and catch you guys next year!

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Sat 29 Sep 2012, 6:00 pm

Boks in another class tonight, totally dominant all over the pitch. When Aus win it's by 1-2 points after coming from behind, when they lose it's by 30.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 29 Sep 2012, 6:27 pm

I think they held their heads high though and deserved to score in the second half FC. They didn't have their full 15 players on at the end and how can you train for what's happening to the side. Do you put question marks on the jerseys and have everyone running round training playing every position?

If I imagined an AB side with Jane, Savea and Gear, Smith, Nonu, Carter, A Smith, Read. McCaw, Whitelock, Mealamu, Franks, Woodcock made at some stage unavailable during and before the game I can't even fathom how we would do.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 29 Sep 2012, 10:05 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:

If I imagined an AB side with Jane, Savea and Gear, Smith, Nonu, Carter, A Smith, Read. McCaw, Whitelock, Mealamu, Franks, Woodcock made at some stage unavailable during and before the game I can't even fathom how we would do.

Probably lose the game and unearth some new talent prematurely for the next game.

Have to give credit to SA though. Goosen and Kirchner were also millimeters from scoring tries. Thought goosen did ok but someone like lambie could have been doing what goosen did during this game all season.

SAs win more importantly came the proper way...quick ball, quick use of it and creating opportunities and this time, finishing some of them.

We are in deep trouble next week. No doubt about it. Despite Ozs player losses, this is a different, more complete bok side. Funny seeing habana trying some trickey little passes. When you think of it-he rarely gets to pass the ball. Its all tryline or straight ahead in his book. But even he found opportunities to try different things with the ball even though he did look a little awkward.

And often the passes went to ground or were knocked on in the same way the Abs often succumb to 50/50s but at least they're trying them.

Id say all up the players, the coach and definitely the fans will have enjoyed this immensely. Really good, entertaining match and they looked like they were enjoying it.

Great to see Sa creating stuff for a change, and putting the boot away.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sun 30 Sep 2012, 12:00 pm

An enjoyable game,Boks obviously happy with the win young,inexperienced and a bonus point win for them.Overall they played well
some refs would have binned the gent for punching.One of the weakest Australian sides fielded,and injuries during the game horrendous.Goosen apart from a couple of breaks was O.K a steady performance no more.Goal kicking poor,Pianaar was doing the tactical kicking well.Habana brilliant another 34 old has been 2015?.Kurtley Beale had a mixed match tried to play to much rugby in his own half.Kicks and handling/passing varied from brilliant to indifferent,unable to rate OZ overall due to injuries.Boks played in the right spirit moving it when possible.Commentators were so biased it was untrue,clever Captaincy for the 3rd try?or bad refereeing and lousy sportsmanship?Twenty minutes with 14 men 3 tries scored[1 against 13] during it the last from a blatantly forward pass?

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Sun 30 Sep 2012, 12:10 pm

You are as usual spot of Emack!

But after so long frustration with Morne Steyn and the kicking game (even though Biltong defended for so long before seeing the light!!), SA are rightfully delighted that the team is heading in the right direction again.

There is still frailty in the SA camp though. They have set piece issues which is bizarre for a SA team, discipline issues (which isn't), and rely too much on individual brilliance rather than coherent strategy and structure to score tries.

Add to that the new dimension of kicking woes and I can't help but wonder whether the new optimism might be tempered with a real nightmare thrashing when the new "run it at all costs" approach meets a ruthless and efficient counter-attacking side such as NZ or Wales. It's important for SA that Meyer now maintains balance and doesn't let the pendulum swing to the Harum-Scarum side of the spectrum.

The bathwater is gone. Hang on to the baby!

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 30 Sep 2012, 12:27 pm

I have never defended the kicking game AWOP, I tried to convince the one eyed observers that we aren't the only team kicking.

And I have criticised our short comings on attack since 2009.
you need to comprehend what you read mate, don't make assumptions based on subjective views.

And Alan, yes, we are known as thugs and other things, might as well be accused of bad sportsmanship. Wink

Last edited by Biltong on Sun 30 Sep 2012, 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Sun 30 Sep 2012, 12:29 pm

Sorry Biltong! Hug

I don't think it was bad sportsmanship, just exactly the kind of ruthless cunning that you were bemoaning the absence of Biltong? You've said for three weeks running "Do SA have the stupidest players alive"? But we can this is not true. There are some very smart ones who see what is happening and react to make a try very quickly!

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Sun 30 Sep 2012, 1:00 pm

Goosen played well, can see why Biltong and others wanted him brought in! Considering the quality of Pienaar's goalkicking, I'm surprised that he wasn't given the duties from the off, letting Goosen just focus on his play at 10.

Boks-NZ next week could have been a real humdinger if the title was on the line, but I haven't seen a bad game between those 2 in a while so looking forward to it!

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun 30 Sep 2012, 2:58 pm

bambamwillis wrote:

Boks-NZ next week could have been a real humdinger if the title was on the line, but I haven't seen a bad game between those 2 in a while so looking forward to it!

Except for the last one......

The next round are dead rubbers for the Cup, although the Wooden spoon is still up for grabs, and NZ can go for a real Grand Slam.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Sun 30 Sep 2012, 3:30 pm

Pot Hale wrote:
bambamwillis wrote:

Except for the last one......

The next round are dead rubbers for the Cup, although the Wooden spoon is still up for grabs, and NZ can go for a real Grand Slam.

Didn't see that one Whistle

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sun 30 Sep 2012, 4:28 pm

Hi,Biltong said nothing about thugs really,BUT players punching is considered a no-no now.Refs vary the incident was early handbags stuff,maybe retaliation BUT .That has been a ploy try and win a yellow card by teams in past especially England.Given a player had just been binned and an serious injury being seen too the REF should have stopped the game.Sportsmanship it seems does`nt exist,inthe PRO game now.Unable to discern a game plan by OZ at all,little chip kicks or pop passes in your own half.Injuries meant there was no combination any where.There were few Scrums and the only decent Oz one ref blew for,Rolland was pretty poor on offside laws too.Bekker back fixed Bok lineout but Sharpe was virtually the OZ one.From the Bok point of view a young team gelling well next week willbe an epic one.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sun 30 Sep 2012, 6:01 pm

I'm sorry there is no such thing as a dead rubber in rugby. Not if you have aspirations to be the best. If a team beats you, they gain confidence and you make it harder for yourselves the next time you face up. By all means if you're up enough points, empty the bench but only in a World Cup year must you be careful about managing your players' workload. The rest of the time, you play to win. Building teams are just invitations for others to smash down.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down