The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jerry Cooney would clean up 2day!

4 posters

Go down

Jerry Cooney would clean up 2day! Empty Jerry Cooney would clean up 2day!

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 05 Nov 2012, 10:26 pm

Under rated fighter was Jerry and one of the hardest hitting heavies ever. He also had a bit of a nasty side about him which was evident in his attempted murder of Ken Norton. Maybe not blessed with the skill of Wladimir or the speed of Haye but he had 1 punch ko power that many names like Forman, Lyle , Young and Norton have confirmed.

Most prob a harder hitter then Shavers but was exposed by the trickery and skill of Spinks. I would take prime Jerry to clean up today. He was tall, rangey and heavy handed and would pose problems for Vitali. I take him to win that fight by late ko but he sweeps aside the rest.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Jerry Cooney would clean up 2day! Empty Re: Jerry Cooney would clean up 2day!

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 05 Nov 2012, 10:54 pm

I think you're overselling Cooney a bit, OneTwo.

Venomous puncher and he had a big, big heart as well, but even in today's threadbare Heavyweight scene, the best he could hope to be is the best of the rest if we're talking about a prime pair of Klitschkos here. Perhaps he could catch Wladimir cold in the early stages if they engaged in a series of fights, but it's difficult for me to see him beating either brother if they're at their best.

Lest we forget, Cooney didn't exactly cope well in the face of heavy artillery himself, and his legs weren't great even by Heavyweight standards. Both Klitschkos could knock him out, of course, but I think both of them could beat him going away, too.

I like Cooney, but much of his reputation was based on thrashing big names past their best and I can't imagine a lumbering man who was toppled by a converted Light-Heavyweight such as Spinks being durable enough to get past either of the Klitschkos.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Mon 05 Nov 2012, 11:01 pm

Disagree. Holmes handled him, Wlad & Vitali have similar(ish) attributes but are bigger and stronger. I wouldn't even give him the apparently obligatory punchers chance against Wlad - how many years since he was put down? For Cooney the skill level just isn't there. Take K2 away and he could be an alphabet holder, but you could say that about any number of average contenders from the past - it's a reflection of the weakness of the current era, something we're all acutely aware of.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 05 Nov 2012, 11:20 pm

The same Cooney who got handled easily by Spinks? Wlad and Vit would beat 9 shades out of him.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down