The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Moreno vs Mares

+6
Seanusarrilius
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
tomfinneywalksonwater
88Chris05
seanmichaels
BoxingFan88
10 posters

Go down

Moreno vs Mares Empty Moreno vs Mares

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon 12 Nov 2012, 7:47 pm

Now that the dust has settled, what did you think of the fight and how did you score it?

I had it 114-113 for Moreno, I was rewatching some of the rounds and I was astounded at the amount of dirty tactics Mares used in that fight. He throws so many low blows, one of these days a ref will do something about it.

We had a shocker of a scorecard (in my opinion) 120-106, not giving Moreno a single round. However there have been some people online who agreed with it, which totally baffles me to be honest. I thought the point deduction was disgusting and at the time I also thought the knock down was a joke, but after re-watching it, I can see a case.

Mares is no doubt a warrior and exciting to watch, but unless he cuts out the dirty tactics, which aren't even subtle, then he is not going to attract to as many fans as he should.

No qualms with Mares getting the decision, but I thought 2 of the score cards were a bit wide and the last one was the worst score card I have ever seen, which includes Rios vs Abril.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Moreno vs Mares Empty Re: Moreno vs Mares

Post by seanmichaels Mon 12 Nov 2012, 7:48 pm

Read RingTv's report and they described it as comprehensive. Mares is GB though isn't he?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon 12 Nov 2012, 7:56 pm

Looking at the punch stats, not the best indicator, but Mares only landed 3 more power punches, which I fail to see how he wins by a shutout.

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/view.php?pg=mares-moreno-compubox

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 12 Nov 2012, 7:56 pm

I picked Moreno in this one, so would love to be able to cry injustice at the result, but ultimately I think the right man won. Close in terms of rounds, I think - probably 7-5 to Mares in that respect - but the point deduction and knockdown blew out all the candles.

The 120-106 card was an absolute disgrace however, you're right.

Moreno is still one of the best technicians out there and will be in the big picture for a while, so I'm not too disheartened. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a rematch, either, which would be anything but a forgone conclusion for Mares.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon 12 Nov 2012, 8:01 pm

I think you have to score the 11th round a 9-9 round there is absolutely no way Mares won that round, he got battered in that round.

Its only a one point swing in terms of point advantages, because of the knockdown. Mares was already winning the 4th? round before the knockdown anyway.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by tomfinneywalksonwater Mon 12 Nov 2012, 8:16 pm

Only just watched it, Mares fought a dirty fight was warned on numerous occasions about it, then Moreno gets a point deducted for his first foul. I had Mares up 2 rounds, he was the aggressor for the majority of the fight and with the knockdown think he did enough to win, no way did Moreno win the fight but the scorecards and ref were a joke.

tomfinneywalksonwater

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon 12 Nov 2012, 8:19 pm

by two or three rounds, pretty much can agree, I can see swing rounds I gave to Moreno that can be seen for Mares.

wish Mares wasn't so dirty though, the amount of low blows were just ridiculous.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon 12 Nov 2012, 8:43 pm

113-113 I think I scored it but though that mares' aggression could have swayed a couple rounds that I ended up giving to Moreno so can't really complain about mares winning but 120-106 was disgraceful. The problem I had was that Moreno was making mares miss time after time and blocking his shots well but he never really made an impression offensively so I found it hard to give him rounds.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 12 Nov 2012, 8:50 pm

Hard to give this to Moreno, mate. Was not as wide as 120-106 (Which was a disgrace), but with the knockdown, unjust deducted point and the work Mares put in, there was only ever going to be one winner.

Moreno is class and Mares is dirty as hell, but the right man won.

Donaire KO's Mares though for me. Running at Donaire like that is suicide

Last edited by Seanusarrilius on Mon 12 Nov 2012, 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by KP4959 Mon 12 Nov 2012, 8:52 pm

I had it 113 -113 never watched it back though, I thought I was watching a different fight when the scorecards were read out

KP4959

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Mon 12 Nov 2012, 8:54 pm

I've got to be honest I was disappointed with Moreno, I thought he was the real deal and would've taken Mares to school. However he got dragged into the wrong fight, I think if Moreno had stood his ground and planted his feet in the early rounds he would've had more success.

I had Mares winning by a round, Moreno landed the better shots for me, Mares a bit busier but just shaded it.

120 -106 is an absolute horrendous score.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Mon 12 Nov 2012, 9:27 pm

I've not watched this one yet, but when one sees a score like 120-106, the first thought is that a referee should be investigated for not halting so one-sided a bout. I don't think that I've ever heard of such a landslide scorecard under the 10-point must system.

It's clear, reading various reports and, indeed, the reactions of your good selves, that this card was a total nonsense, delivered by a judge whose licence should be rescinded. Mares is a nightmare of a fighter, really, but he makes good opponents look very bad. Moreno joins Agbeko and others in this category. As Sean says, though, I do hope Mares gets the opportunity to try his tactics out against Donaire. A leather-eating fiesta of the first order, I'd guess and, quite possibly a scorecard of 120-106 that might be a bit easier to justify.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 12 Nov 2012, 9:42 pm

Mares reminds me of Jeff Fenech, only with a bit less pop in his punches; not without a slick side by any means, but perhaps a touch reliant on being a rough handful too often, and a bloody dirty so and so, too.

It's great to watch, and has obviously been successful so far, but my issue with this kind of fighter is that, invariably, they always end up running in to someone that little bit harder and rougher than themselves and, as a result of his coming as a shock to them, often capitulate easier than you might imagine once they do.

I agree with the sentiments above - Donaire is that man, in Mares' case.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon 12 Nov 2012, 10:24 pm

Glad it wasn't just me then guys, I have people claiming that Mares dominated him. Like most of you have said, must have been watching a different fight...

As Paulie said about the 120-106 score, "The judge must have fell asleep".

As you have also already said, if he charges at Donaire like he did Moreno and is that reckless, he will get his head knocked off.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon 12 Nov 2012, 11:43 pm

Yea I don't rate his chances against donaire at all and nonito would be relishing a fight with him as stylistically mares is made for him

Moreno is pretty slick but doesn't have the handspeed, reflexes, skills and most importantly power that donaire holds. Quick look on boxrec says that in his 33 wins only 12 have come by KO and most of those are ref stoppages against poor opposition

Donaire may only have knocked out 1 of 3 at 122 but he decked all three and looks like he is carrying his power up. Mares was so open and will walk onto something big and likewise he doesn't carry a lot of power himself but is workman like and tough

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 13 Nov 2012, 2:29 pm

I would love Donaire to knock him out!

Haven't seen the fight but not suprised as i saw his first fight with Agbeko (spelling!) where he constantly through low blows and again the ref did nothing and scored one blatant low blow as a knock down!

I remember shortly after the fight there was a clip which showed mares low blows and i think there was over 20 obvious ones!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down