The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The difference between Glasgow and Edinburgh?

+13
IanBru
overlordofthewest
red_stag
jimbopip
21st Century Schizoid Man
Janecory
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
SecretFly
Hood83
Morgannwg
George Carlin
TJ1
alexgmacdonald
17 posters

Go down

The difference between Glasgow and Edinburgh? Empty The difference between Glasgow and Edinburgh?

Post by alexgmacdonald Sun 3 Mar 2013 - 22:24

I have heard from many different places and people that Glasgow and Edinburgh aren't that much different in terms of quality of players.

That confuses me as there is a massive gap between them in the pro 12 (37 points currently I believe).

I am interested to hear why there is a such a gap and what would help Edinburgh reach the level Glasgow currently are at

alexgmacdonald

Back to top Go down

The difference between Glasgow and Edinburgh? Empty Re: The difference between Glasgow and Edinburgh?

Post by TJ1 Sun 3 Mar 2013 - 23:16

The main thing is Glasgow play as a team with belief, Edinburgh as a collection of individuals with no confidence.

coaching would seem to be the key and I along with many others might just owe townsend an apology

TJ1

Back to top Go down

The difference between Glasgow and Edinburgh? Empty Re: The difference between Glasgow and Edinburgh?

Post by George Carlin Sun 3 Mar 2013 - 23:39

It's a number of things, I think - all held together by a good team spirit at Glasgow which does not seem to be matched in Edinburgh:

1. Glasgow's home grown players have been retained from recent years and are now starting to play well - fruits of Sean Lineen's scouting are paying off - particularly Grant, MacArthur, Dunbar, Seymour, Hogg and Cusack. This was not luck - Lineen is genuinely excellent at spotting talent - Gray, the Evans brothers, Grant - Lineen can take credit for all of those. Blair and Paterson leaving for Edinburgh meant a big hole and it has been filled only sporadically by Edinburgh's home grown club men like Scott and Tonks.

2. Glasgow's marquee signings are doing what their reputations suggested that they would do - DTH, Niko, Strauss and Maitland have made the difference in terms of quality during the international window. Nel, Atiga, VanDW et al have not really had the strong and consistent impact that was hoped.

3. Never underestimate surroundings. Glasgow's move to Scotstoun was galvinising in terms of creating the club's own identity rather than the affiliation with Partick Thistle Nil that came from using Firhill. It's a very nice facility and lends itself to a collegiate feel. The feeling in that mausoleum that is Murrayfield is stark to anyone who has visited both. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, chilly.

4. Game plan - for all that Toonie was derided - Glasgow plays to its strengths and crucially has a tight 5 that are hungy and can win ball whilst achieving at least set piece parity every time. I am genuinely unclear as to what Edinburgh's game plan is. This is definitely a Bradley coaching problem, I'm afraid.

5. Luck - it's been a bit of a perfect storm in terms of everyone playing well at the same time for Glasgow. The simple fact remains that lots of good players in Edinburgh (and there are plenty of them) have just had a bum season and have been thrown off kilter by a silly rotation policy that has frequently seemed nothing more than arbitrary.

Most of these problems will go away for Edinburgh if (a) the SRU maintains their funding to the current level or higher and (b) Edinburgh gets a strong coaching team who actually knows what the feic they're doing.

Last edited by George Carlin on Sun 3 Mar 2013 - 23:53; edited 2 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alexgmacdonald Sun 3 Mar 2013 - 23:52

I think I owe an apology to Toonie too because I went to see the first game if the season vs Scarlets and it was one of the direst games I've ever watched.

Glasgow are really hitting their straps right now and they seem like a team that want to play for each other, for the coaches and for the fans.

As you say, George, they play as a team and are reaping the benefits. Another additional point, to yours is that the competition for places in the team has never been higher. Each position has at least 2 good if not great players vying for that position.

alexgmacdonald

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon 4 Mar 2013 - 0:01

One city has more stabbings than the other?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Mon 4 Mar 2013 - 0:24

Morgannwg wrote:One city has more stabbings than the other?

Classy Morgan. Real classy.

I'm glad Glasgow have pushed on, I think both Scottish and English teams seem to have benefited from a few transitional years bringing through youngsters in trying circumstances. Maybe it helps to bond them more or something but a good example across the border seems to be Wasps. Not sure if that is a perfect analogy for Glasgow but they seem to be bringing people through now.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 4 Mar 2013 - 0:25

Morgannwg wrote:One city has more stabbings than the other?
Laugh Can I direct you to Mr Kevin Bridges:

"Glasgow was voted the murder capital of Europe and in the same week was voted the Friendliest City in the UK.

So we're mental. But a Friendly Mental. I mean, you'll get stabbed. But we'll give you directions to the hospital".
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 4 Mar 2013 - 0:33

Hood83 wrote: I think both Scottish and English teams seem to have benefited from a few transitional years bringing through youngsters in trying circumstances.

Either that...or that a number of competitors are entering, or fully into, transitional years of their own? If it's an argument that might explain the past, it's also one that might excuse the present.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 4 Mar 2013 - 1:20

George Carlin wrote:It's a number of things, I think - all held together by a good team spirit at Glasgow which does not seem to be matched in Edinburgh:

1. Glasgow's home grown players have been retained from recent years and are now starting to play well - fruits of Sean Lineen's scouting are paying off - particularly Grant, MacArthur, Dunbar, Seymour, Hogg and Cusack. This was not luck - Lineen is genuinely excellent at spotting talent - Gray, the Evans brothers, Grant - Lineen can take credit for all of those. Blair and Paterson leaving for Edinburgh meant a big hole and it has been filled only sporadically by Edinburgh's home grown club men like Scott and Tonks.

2. Glasgow's marquee signings are doing what their reputations suggested that they would do - DTH, Niko, Strauss and Maitland have made the difference in terms of quality during the international window. Nel, Atiga, VanDW et al have not really had the strong and consistent impact that was hoped.

3. Never underestimate surroundings. Glasgow's move to Scotstoun was galvinising in terms of creating the club's own identity rather than the affiliation with Partick Thistle Nil that came from using Firhill. It's a very nice facility and lends itself to a collegiate feel. The feeling in that mausoleum that is Murrayfield is stark to anyone who has visited both. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, chilly.

4. Game plan - for all that Toonie was derided - Glasgow plays to its strengths and crucially has a tight 5 that are hungy and can win ball whilst achieving at least set piece parity every time. I am genuinely unclear as to what Edinburgh's game plan is. This is definitely a Bradley coaching problem, I'm afraid.

5. Luck - it's been a bit of a perfect storm in terms of everyone playing well at the same time for Glasgow. The simple fact remains that lots of good players in Edinburgh (and there are plenty of them) have just had a bum season and have been thrown off kilter by a silly rotation policy that has frequently seemed nothing more than arbitrary.

Most of these problems will go away for Edinburgh if (a) the SRU maintains their funding to the current level or higher and (b) Edinburgh gets a strong coaching team who actually knows what the feic they're doing.
GC, think Tonks came from Northampton Saints?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 4 Mar 2013 - 1:23

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
George Carlin wrote:It's a number of things, I think - all held together by a good team spirit at Glasgow which does not seem to be matched in Edinburgh:

GC, think Tonks came from Northampton Saints?
It's a fair cop, Asbo.

I'd be interested to know what you think the main differences between the two teams are.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 4 Mar 2013 - 1:32

Right now, I'd summarise it as 'belief' and 'enjoyment' - at Glasgow, there's a squad that believes in their management, their coaching set-up, their game plans, and their player leadership group, and that shows massively on the pitch in terms of getting results, particularly when times get tough (ie during the injury crisis back in the autumn). Contrast that with Embra where there is no obvious direct management group (basically its the SRU blazers), there's a coaching team that is a busted flush (McGinty fired, Bradley already with his marching orders, etc), there doesn't appear to be any real game plan, and there is no obvious senior leadership group among the players which can rally the troops in the darkness.

On top of that, it's clear from the twitter posts (as others have already noted) that the playing group at the Weege enjoy each others company and are loving what thy do at the moment - clearly this is to a large extent results driven, but was even the case back in the autumn, whereas I get the sense of more cliques at Edinburgh, where the NSQ players don't seem to have integrated that well, and where the international players seen somewhat distant from the rest of the squad

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Janecory Mon 4 Mar 2013 - 2:08

Glasgow has decent forwards, Edinburgh hasnt !

Janecory

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Mon 4 Mar 2013 - 2:27

If the Edinburgh forwards are so bad, and are not bad players iykwim, then how come that Back guy is quoted for the new coach. Does he not shoulder any blame?
Genuinely puzzled here ?

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 4 Mar 2013 - 2:57

An interesting thread, and given that I have lived in both cities I feel you should all benefit from my tuppence worth. Both teams to a large extent reflect the personality of their city. Glasgow can be very abrasive and in your face, William McIlvanney was spot on when he said "Glasgow on a Saturday night is the city of the stare...Greta Garbo wouldn't have lasted five minutes " To paraphrase Kevin Bridges, they very well might kill you with kindness or they might just kill you. I can honestly say that I can think of no other city on Earth which could have produced the Lisbon Lions. Tommy Gemmill said that waiting to go onto the field against Inter Milan he was struck by the fact that the Italian side all looked like bronzed athletes, all six foot plus and tanned like movie stars, whereas the Celtic players looked like people who grown up malnourished in Glasgow's tenements (my mother went to school with Bertie Auld's wife I know whereof I speak) TG thought they looked like escapees from a circus freak show. Then as the Milan players began to sneer at them Wee Bertie bounced a ball loudly on the concrete, got everyone's attention and began singing The Celtic Song, swiftly joined by his team mates. After that the result was really a foregone conclusion. I can see the same "think you're good? Then bring it on" attitude in the current Glasgow side, their spanking of Northampton springs to mind!
Living in Edinburgh was shall we say different. In a way it was a bit like putting half your house over to lodgers. You behave differently when they are not around. Most people identify Edinburgh with castle, festival, Tattoo, culture, tourists, blah, blah, blah... Most of the friends I made in Edinburgh managed to pretty much ignore all of that but at the same time there was the sense of the public city and then their home town, two very different places- often in the same physical space. No wonder Jeckyl and Hyde is the archetypal Edinburgh novel. Is it any wonder big name imports tend to struggle to perform?
In short Big Al, Jedi and the rest bleed Glasgow because it is where they belong; Dozer, Piers and the rest are struggling to decide if they are a rugby team or at heart MFL's.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Mon 4 Mar 2013 - 3:06

The question would be how many of Embra's 1st 15 would get into The Warriors 23 - maybe one - Laidlaw on the bench to cover Mata. Er that's it really at present. Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 4 Mar 2013 - 3:09

This is true of many teams.

For example the Sale Sharks have more household names than say Exeter Chiefs. You have Cameron Shepherd, Richie Gray, Andy Powell, Tony Buckley, Mark Cueto, Daniel Braid, Richie Vernon, Dwayne Peel, Danny Cipriani.

These are all players who have managed a good few caps for the likes of New Zealand, England, Ireland, Australia, Wales etc.

However they play awful stuff and are last in the league. By contrast Exeter Chiefs on paper dont blitz them when it comes to household names but there is no question who is a stronger team.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 4 Mar 2013 - 4:03

jimbopip wrote:An interesting thread, and given that I have lived in both cities I feel you should all benefit from my tuppence worth. Both teams to a large extent reflect the personality of their city. Glasgow can be very abrasive and in your face, William McIlvanney was spot on when he said "Glasgow on a Saturday night is the city of the stare...Greta Garbo wouldn't have lasted five minutes " To paraphrase Kevin Bridges, they very well might kill you with kindness or they might just kill you. I can honestly say that I can think of no other city on Earth which could have produced the Lisbon Lions.

Hmm, if we're going to turn this into a boasting game about toughness on the streets??? Glasgow had a very high homicide rate in 2011. 20 in a city of 700,000. That's a rate of 2.8 per 100,000. In Dublin, in 2012, the rate was 4.7 people per 100,000 (that explains the Ladyboys obviously! Wink ).... In 2008, when Munster won it's second HEC, Limerick (about 50,000) had a higher murder rate than Glasgow...

Yeah, you might be on to something. Nothing like a vicious crime wave to fill the coffers with trophies.....!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by overlordofthewest Mon 4 Mar 2013 - 5:28

So, if I go on murderous rampage through the streets of Llanelli, there's a good chance the Scarlets will win the league chin

overlordofthewest

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 4 Mar 2013 - 5:30

Only if you target the coaching team.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Janecory Mon 4 Mar 2013 - 5:31

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:The question would be how many of Embra's 1st 15 would get into The Warriors 23 - maybe one - Laidlaw on the bench to cover Mata. Er that's it really at present. Shocked
On what evidence would you pick Laidlaw on this seasons performances for Edinburgh, he has been no better than any other Edinburgh player.
Give me Rees before Laidlaw everytime.

Janecory

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 4 Mar 2013 - 5:39

jimbopip wrote:Only if you target the coaching team.
Laugh

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Mon 4 Mar 2013 - 6:12

jimbopip wrote:Only if you target the coaching team.
That, right there, is my zinger of the week.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 4 Mar 2013 - 6:18

Thank you Ian.
What is the solution to the MFL's problem? Relocate to a disused greyhound stadium in Wester Hailes, make the NSQ players live in bedsits off Gorgie Road and have team meetings in the Boundary Bar?
Players wont die for the club, metaphorically, if they don't know who the club are. I agree totally with Red Stag.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Mon 4 Mar 2013 - 6:44

Very Happy
Janecory wrote:
21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:The question would be how many of Embra's 1st 15 would get into The Warriors 23 - maybe one - Laidlaw on the bench to cover Mata. Er that's it really at present. Shocked
On what evidence would you pick Laidlaw on this seasons performances for Edinburgh, he has been no better than any other Edinburgh player.
Give me Rees before Laidlaw everytime.

OK give us Wee Gregg - and we will trade you ehm ...... Byron McGuigan Whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 4 Mar 2013 - 7:46

Schiz, how did Lord Byron play against Cardiff? Any signs of usefulness?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 4 Mar 2013 - 8:11

The three main things for me in terms of Edinburgh are:

1 - the players started to believe their own hype (Denton being the prime example) and started the season thinking the could just turn up and win.

2 - The squad rotation was just ridiculous at the start of the season. Nel one week, Cross the next. Hunter one week, Leonard the next. Rennie and Grant etc.....you get the idea!

The combination of the first two point meant that we had a terrible start to the season and never recovered.

3 - We have no game plan. Last season I knew exactly what the Edinburgh style of play was, and so did all of the players. I don't think the coaches even have a clue how they are meant to be playing this year!

In some form I agree with Greig - the Glasgow first team isn't light years ahead of Edinburgh on an individual basis (they are better though I think), but when you combine that with hard graft, passion, confidence and team work then the difference becomes the most stark.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 4 Mar 2013 - 8:14

Final thing though - Laidlaw sounds genuinely pished off with how things are going and if there is anyone that can change things round in the club it is him.

I like the fact that he says things needed to change at training and they have already started doing that - massive 2 fingers up to the coaches there!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Mon 4 Mar 2013 - 8:21

jimbopip wrote:Schiz, how did Lord Byron play against Cardiff? Any signs of usefulness?

Emm not convinced tbh. He kind of butchered a try in the first 40 - it was not altogether his fault as the pass from Weir or Mata was urine poor. He has some speed but not a fantastic tackler in defence. Really cannot wait until our back 3 is Maitland, Hogg and DTH - with Seymour and Murchie on the bench for impact. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Janecory Mon 4 Mar 2013 - 18:28

RDW_Scotland wrote:Final thing though - Laidlaw sounds genuinely pished off with how things are going and if there is anyone that can change things round in the club it is him.

I like the fact that he says things needed to change at training and they have already started doing that - massive 2 fingers up to the coaches there!
First i have heard of this.
So what has Laidlaw been saying?
Have you a Link, so we can all see what he has said ?

Janecory

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 4 Mar 2013 - 18:34

It was in an interview with the Scotsman yesterday - I put a link on the Scotland team thread

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 4 Mar 2013 - 18:38

http://m.scotsman.com/sport/rugby/top-rugby-stories/greig-laidlaw-on-scotland-in-the-six-nations-1-2819060

He's talked about it in previous interviews too

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 4 Mar 2013 - 19:14

Little yappy dog. I love it.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 5 Mar 2013 - 0:48

The difference is that whilst Lineen was carefully crafting the Glasgow squad, putting in place a top notch squad work ethic and building the basics so that whichever Glasgow team played, the defence, tackling and workrate were excellent, Edinburgh were being dismantled by gross incompetence from Rob Moffatt and Michael Bradley.

Building a winning team is a slow process, and it requires a long-term strategy. Glasgow have nailed it. Right strategy and good (and careful) signings.

Edinburgh is now the template as to how not to run a club. Rotate the life and soul out of the squad, focus on signing NSQ journeymen with little in the way of positive track records, don't bother with a proper pre-season, and treat your Scottish internationals like royalty. The squad is disjointed, there's no overall plan, the development of young Scottish talent is poorly managed and this season team selection has been horrific.

In rugby terms, the difference between Glasgow and Edinburgh is vast.

Were Edinburgh not a vastly superior city in every other way, I'd probably move......

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 5 Mar 2013 - 1:15

funnyExiledScot wrote:
Were Edinburgh not a vastly superior city in every other way, I'd probably move......

Laugh
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 5 Mar 2013 - 2:11

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

Laugh
Funny on more than one level.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alexgmacdonald Tue 5 Mar 2013 - 2:55

It ain't so bad living in Glasgow Wink

I agree about it being a long process creating a winning team. I look at Manchester United and the success they have had under Alex ferguson. That process wasn't immediate and it took him a while to get there bit now he is in control of the most successful side in modern English football. Consistently winning the league.

I am not inferring that Glasgow are Manchester United but success isn't instant, even if it is it takes a lot of work to back it up.

There seems to be a really vibe around Glasgow at the moment. Good family club that now expects to win against most of their opponents.

alexgmacdonald

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 5 Mar 2013 - 3:09

George Carlin wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

Laugh
Funny on more than one level.

I thought you'd like my choice of the word "superior" Wink

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 5 Mar 2013 - 3:15

alexgmacdonald wrote:It ain't so bad living in Glasgow Wink

I agree about it being a long process creating a winning team. I look at Manchester United and the success they have had under Alex ferguson. That process wasn't immediate and it took him a while to get there bit now he is in control of the most successful side in modern English football. Consistently winning the league.

I am not inferring that Glasgow are Manchester United but success isn't instant, even if it is it takes a lot of work to back it up.

There seems to be a really vibe around Glasgow at the moment. Good family club that now expects to win against most of their opponents.

I think there's an interesting point here. The Glasgow rugby team has started to benefit being a "new thing" in a football city, and with success, you get bandwagon supporters (e.g. England 2003) - in a sense Glasgow is creating its own history and traditions at the moment with a successful side.

On the otherhand Edinburgh has always been a traditional rugby city, in which a new thing, Edinburgh pro side, has to compare to a whole history of rugby in Edinburgh and the surrounding borders, almost always unfavourably. Playing at Murrayfield doesn't help either but I think we've done that topic to death.

Still, all good and well, but the reason Edinburgh have been dire this season is because of the coaches and the players, both this season and over the last 5. We've gone downhill ever since Robinson left, and we were hardly worldbeaters under him either. Bring back Frank Haddock!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 5 Mar 2013 - 3:18

funnyExiledScot wrote:
alexgmacdonald wrote:It ain't so bad living in Glasgow Wink

I think there's an interesting point here. The Glasgow rugby team has started to benefit being a "new thing" in a football city, and with success, you get bandwagon supporters (e.g. England 2003) - in a sense Glasgow is creating its own history and traditions at the moment with a successful side.

On the otherhand Edinburgh has always been a traditional rugby city, in which a new thing, Edinburgh pro side, has to compare to a whole history of rugby in Edinburgh and the surrounding borders, almost always unfavourably. Playing at Murrayfield doesn't help either but I think we've done that topic to death.

Still, all good and well, but the reason Edinburgh have been dire this season is because of the coaches and the players, both this season and over the last 5. We've gone downhill ever since Robinson left, and we were hardly worldbeaters under him either. Bring back Frank Haddock!

It is an interesting point but an attendance of 3800 last week at a crucial championship game in a city of over 700 000 suggests there is still a long way to go before bandwagon supporters come in.

Glasgow crowds this year are almost as disappointing as Bradley's selection policy! People are chosing to go to Rangers V Gretna instead of a top of the table clash at the Warriors.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 5 Mar 2013 - 3:22

That's true - but if they continue with this form I have a sense that it will start to build, particularly if they have Rabo playoff matches at the end of the season, and possibly a better HC campaign next season.

I agree though, it's still disappointing that crowds are so low at both Edinburgh and Glasgow. Glasgow fans have no excuse!

Watching Edinburgh at Murrayfield is like going to a steak restaurant and being fed salad!!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 5 Mar 2013 - 3:26

Makes it all the more amazing that Edinburgh's crowds have generally not fallen bellow the 3.5k mark in most games.

Credit where credit is due – there’s obviously a good core of Edinburgh fans who turn up week in week out and get served up the dross we have.

I’ve been to most Edinburgh games this year and I couldn’t even tell you the last time I saw them win!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue 5 Mar 2013 - 3:39

Bearing in mind guys there was a lot of boycott talk when Toonie took over from St Sean angel It did not start too well either pre season and Rabo but we did have an injury crisis and losing our one world class player (RG). This was alleviated with some terrific signings Maitland, Matawalu and Strauss but too late for the Heino.

I am one who will apologise for doubting Townsend - he is now officially not even a quarter muppet.

Back to top Go down

Post by alexgmacdonald Tue 5 Mar 2013 - 4:34

I think on the attendance thing, it is pretty expensive (even with standing and student prices) to go. As a young guy I can't afford to go to every match and I'm sure a lot of people would feel the same.

Ticket prices at firhill weren't too bad and I understand moving to scotstoun did incur costs both initial and running but I can't keep going to matches spending £25-£30 to get a "decent" seat

alexgmacdonald

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue 5 Mar 2013 - 4:49

Alex,

try the North Stand at £20 - it is as good a view tbh

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 5 Mar 2013 - 5:22

alexgmacdonald wrote:I think on the attendance thing, it is pretty expensive (even with standing and student prices) to go. As a young guy I can't afford to go to every match and I'm sure a lot of people would feel the same.
Cry I'd trade some of that cash to get 10 years back.

Er. I said that out loud, didn't I?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alexgmacdonald Tue 5 Mar 2013 - 5:30

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Alex,

try the North Stand at £20 - it is as good a view tbh

Cheers. I'll get myself along to the Munster game.

I do love going and seeing the Warriors play. The atmosphere is always good and the banter with some of the irish and welsh fans is top class!

alexgmacdonald

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Tue 5 Mar 2013 - 6:23

funnyExiledScot wrote: Bring back Frank Haddock!

I would follow Captain Haddock and his band of merry men to hell and back. I wouldnt urine on Michael Bradley if he was on fire.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by alexgmacdonald Tue 5 Mar 2013 - 8:37

Back to the OP, I think that the signing of Josh Strauss and the form of Ryan Wilson has boosted Glasgow massively.

I think the backrow experience and the leadership as well has been massive in the playoff push. Most of the back row (Barclay, Fusaro, Harley and Wilson) have captained Glasgow in the past and Strauss obviously captained the Lions in Super Rugby. So there is leadership all over the park

alexgmacdonald

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down