The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good solid wins that have been diluted

+13
AlexHuckerby
Adam D
KO-KING
TopHat24/7
Diamond in the rough
davidemore
BoxingFan88
ShahenshahG
rIck_dAgless
88Chris05
JabMachineMK2
TRUSSMAN66
Rodney
17 posters

Go down

Good solid wins that have been diluted  Empty Good solid wins that have been diluted

Post by Rodney Tue 14 May 2013, 11:19 am

Boxing debaters and journalists all have double standards I guess, I'm no different, what wins have kind of been dismissed throughout history in your opinion ?

Mostly i hear many inclined too downgrade Tunneys wins over Dempsey should bear in mind that Dempsey beat Jack Sharkey on the best night he ever had between those two fights.

If that version of Dempsey managed to win one round against Tunney in two fights, then it should at least suggest that Tunney was a lot better than Jack Sharkey (even when his head was screwed on), and probably better than Max Schmeling who had his hands full with the same version of Sharkey.

To give Holyfield his due we would have to consider that even a shot Tyson managed to hand Andrew Gollota his head after he had basicaly beaten Bowe into retirement.

I have always felt that Tyson's win over Holmes is sold short. Holmes beat Ray Mercer who gave Lennox Lewis a close fight. Nobody should have done tht to Holmes past his prime or not. I would even venture to say that if the 45 year old Holmes had fought a prime Lennox Lewis he would've done better.

Any others ?

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Good solid wins that have been diluted  Empty Re: Good solid wins that have been diluted

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 14 May 2013, 11:36 am

spinks beat an old Larry..........Bonecrusher Smith and Williams gave Larry great problems........

Ray Mercer lost to Jesse Ferguson!!!.........

Forgive me If I'm wrong but wasn't Sharkey handing Dempsey his backside when he turned to complain and got cheap-shotted to the deck...

Or am I thinking of another fight!! Rolling Eyes

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Good solid wins that have been diluted  Empty Re: Good solid wins that have been diluted

Post by JabMachineMK2 Tue 14 May 2013, 11:41 am

I place Tunney over Dempsey due to his wins, I often get lambasted for it Sad

I think Lewis' win over Vitali is picked apart, even in some corners described as a loss which adds credence to the heavyweights before him to rank higher in ATG lists which I'm afraid simply can't be the case. Vitali lost the fight, Lewis wasn't his usual self but bear in mind he did what hasn't been done before or since and that was have Vitali looking shaky and on the verge of being knocked out in the next 4/5 rounds in my view.

I'd agree about Tysons win over a "past it" Holmes is pulled apart needlessly too.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 14 May 2013, 11:43 am

JabMachineMK2 wrote:I place Tunney over Dempsey due to his wins, I often get lambasted for it Sad.

Rightly so..Let's have Spinks above Holmes............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Tue 14 May 2013, 11:51 am

Well not really as Spinks didn't have that long a heavyweight career and styles make fights, I don't rank Buster Douglas above Tyson just because he won, there's other factors aswell TRUSS, don't be so picky.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 14 May 2013, 11:55 am

Marlon Starling w12 Simon Brown
------------------------------------------

When Brown, Honey and Starling were champions..A lot of people regarded Brown as the best. Forgetting that Starling who was considered a trialhorse at the time had already given one of the best welters of the day a lesson......

For me this win with Breland twice, Honey, top contender Tommy Ayers, Kevin Howard and the respected Floyd Mayweather twice shows what a good career Moochie had........

Wonderful Boxing performance with a comical interlude when Brown being owned turns southpaw and Starling stops and stares at him as If to say.....As If I haven't seen a southpaw before..

Starling gets little credit for this win.

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Tue 14 May 2013, 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 14 May 2013, 12:01 pm

JabMachineMK2 wrote:Well not really as Spinks didn't have that long a heavyweight career and styles make fights, I don't rank Buster Douglas above Tyson just because he won, there's other factors aswell TRUSS, don't be so picky.

Spinks fought Cooney, Tangstad, Tyson, Holmes twice........

Did Tunney have any more fights at heavy than that??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Tue 14 May 2013, 12:07 pm

More than 6. Closer to 10. Spinks isn't an ATG Light Heavy. Tunney is. Meaning that across 2 weights, he has the better wins.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 14 May 2013, 12:11 pm

If Tommy Gibbons was a light heavy as classed by boxrec.......Then he maybe had one more fight than Spinks at heavy..........

Cooney will rank above Heeney............and an old Holmes above Dempsey in a lot of lists..........

Spinks like Tunney is a great fighter but not a great Heavy..........

Having him above Dempsey is bizarre..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 14 May 2013, 12:25 pm

Oddly enough, I think McGuigan sometimes doesn't get enough credit for beating Pedroza. I think the fact that people feel that McGuigan's overall career flattered to deceive in comparison to those who received such little fame and recognition but arguably deserved it more than Barry sometimes leads them to have an overly cynical view of the fight and Pedroza's state at the time.

I agree that it wasn't an absolute peak Pedroza that Barry got hold of, but I've heard lines such as "Pedroza was only there to collect the big pay cheque" and "Pedroza was completely shot" bandied about, which don't sit well with me.

The truth is that Pedroza's performance that night would have been enough to deny many top class Featherweights, that he did in fact give McGuigan plenty of problems right up until the last three rounds or so (which were, admittedly, all McGuigan) and that he showed immense heart, durability and grit, none of which pointed to a man who was more concerned with earining about £1 million (totally unheard of for a Featherweight at the time and still an eye-popping amount now) than keeping hold of a title he'd had for seven years and nineteen successful defences.

There have been some myths which have built around McGuigan's abilities and his career over time, but his win over Pedroza was the real deal, for me.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Tue 14 May 2013, 12:34 pm

I dont think that James Buster Douglas gets the props for his Tyson win

There was a lot of talk about it not being the mythical peak tyson, or that his mind was elsewhere, or JBD got lucky

but the fact remains that JBD fought a near perfect fight that night, that although he never replicated (either before or after) deserves credit as not just being in the right place at the right time and lucking out

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 14 May 2013, 12:59 pm

Lewis golota ought to have been a serious win now means little or nothing

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 14 May 2013, 1:02 pm

The majority of Mayweather's fights, because he makes it look so easy.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 14 May 2013, 1:03 pm

Bowe vs Holy..............Holy was unbeaten......probably in his prime....A wonderful warrior with a great triple jab and a big heart....and Bowe stepped up and out fought him..........

Wonderful win..............much underrated..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 14 May 2013, 1:05 pm

beat him at his own game as well, excellent inside fighetr bowe

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue 14 May 2013, 1:30 pm

Throw in the word 'old' to this article and TRUSS is all over it like a Texan police officer to an 'alien' immigrant.

That simile was for you, Trussy. Yahoo

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Tue 14 May 2013, 1:44 pm

Roy jones vs Hopkins the he was green argument doesn't sit well with me as they had roughly same experience at the time

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 14 May 2013, 2:10 pm

Diamond in the rough wrote:Roy jones vs Hopkins the he was green argument doesn't sit well with me as they had roughly same experience at the time

Roughly the same pro experience, not boxing experience.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Tue 14 May 2013, 2:35 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Bowe vs Holy..............Holy was unbeaten......probably in his prime....A wonderful warrior with a great triple jab and a big heart....and Bowe stepped up and out fought him..........

Wonderful win..............much underrated..

how, Bowe's whole legacy is pretty much based on that performance - You may be right, but that is a great win - surely most boxing fans know it that is

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 14 May 2013, 2:40 pm

Bowe beat him twice..............Also beat a lot of unbeaten fighters........Gonzales, Hide..Donald.......Chuck in Tubbs, future world champ Seldon and two wins over Golota and you have a "Fantastic" career.......

to quote a knobhead

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 14 May 2013, 3:29 pm

How about the Lacy win for Calzaghe?

Most people now say that Lacy was pish.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 14 May 2013, 3:32 pm

Mosley/Margarito

Most people say Shane only beat him cos his mind was elsewhere having been caught out re the handwraps, but Shane utterly annihilated that fella

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 14 May 2013, 3:32 pm

Adam D wrote:How about the Lacy win for Calzaghe?

I dunno. Think that's become common myth only in less boxing-educated circles. Credit is generally given where it's due on that on (I think) and it's rated as Top 3 win on JC's ledger.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 14 May 2013, 3:34 pm

Great win..........Lacy was rated highly just like Canelo is now.........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 14 May 2013, 3:37 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

And he'll be pish...just as soon as Floyd beats him

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 14 May 2013, 3:38 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

thumbsup

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 14 May 2013, 3:58 pm

He was incredibly limited to be honest, but yeah, possibly a bit underrated nowadays.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Tue 14 May 2013, 7:18 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Diamond in the rough wrote:Roy jones vs Hopkins the he was green argument doesn't sit well with me as they had roughly same experience at the time

Roughly the same pro experience, not boxing experience.

Still doesnt get enough credit

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Tue 14 May 2013, 9:00 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Lacy did subsequently look rubbish though.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Tue 14 May 2013, 10:10 pm

Calzaghe's win over Tocker Pudwill deserves more recognition and respect.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Wed 15 May 2013, 7:15 am

Dempsey v sharkey is a terrible example. Seeing as by all accounts Dempsey was taking a hiding. And kept throughout in low blows. Sharkey kept complaint to th ref, then in the 7th (I think) while I. The process of complaining gets floored. Dempsey has had Vetter nights than that. Tunney beat an old slow, inactive ring rusty Dempsey I'm afraid. He still had heart and power. But none of that stalking power and speed that made him great. Tunney wins were still great, but they do deserve to have a little of their shine taken away from them.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 15 May 2013, 9:52 am

Given the other thread Froch-Bute should probably be added to this list.....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 15 May 2013, 9:54 am

sittingringside wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Lacy did subsequently look rubbish though.

Isn't that the point of this thread though!

Wins that were great ( and this one was ) but subsequently people have gone back to rubbish?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed 15 May 2013, 10:15 am

Randall's win over Chavez gets nothing like the degree of credit that it deserves, for reasons that elude me. For all the talk about Lockridge being unlucky, Taylor being screwed by Steele and Pea being plain robbed, it was The Surgeon who finally beat JCC so convincingly that even the usual, King-inspired, pro-Chavez scorecards couldn't come up with a computation that made Chavez the winner. Floored him too, which underlines that this was more than a mere technical exercise.

Think that Hearns' victory over Benitez gets unnecessarily short shrift from many people as well, possibly because Benitez was not far from his career-ending slide. A win that showcased Hearns' all-round boxing virtuosity, not to mention the ability to think his way through a fight. A great shame that Tommy didn't display this quality against Leonard and Hagler, or we'd be likely talking about the greatest fighter in history.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 15 May 2013, 10:22 am

One judge had Hearns-Benitez a draw.............Shocking!!

Mccallum vs Julian Jackson
Arguello vs Mancini
Mccallum vs Watson
Spinks vs Qawi
Benitez vs Cervantes
Taylor vs Mcgirt

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down