The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jelena Gencic and Djokovic

+9
hawkeye
invisiblecoolers
michael_o
socal1976
lydian
bogbrush
kingraf
HM Murdock
laverfan
13 posters

Go down

Jelena Gencic and Djokovic  Empty Jelena Gencic and Djokovic

Post by laverfan Mon 03 Jun 2013, 12:44 pm

Question for Djokovic fans...

Last time someone close to Djokovic passed away (his grandfather) during MC, he was very unfocussed. Now, with this event, how does it impact his RG bid?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/tennis/2013/06/01/djokovics-first-coach-gencic-dies/2380923/

PS: Here is an earlier discussion on a similar topic - https://www.606v2.com/t33661-djokovic-confirms-existence-of-unspecified-personal-problems

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Jelena Gencic and Djokovic  Empty Re: Jelena Gencic and Djokovic

Post by HM Murdock Mon 03 Jun 2013, 1:19 pm

Tough to say, as I'm not sure how close the relationship was.

I believe they were relatively close but how it equates to losing a family member, I couldn't say.

It was obviously upsetting to him as he cancelled the press conference but he had literally just found out then. I can imagine the last thing you want to do in those circumstances is take questions from the media.

It may perhaps increase his motivation even further. What better tribute to your first coach than to complete a career slam?

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon 03 Jun 2013, 1:38 pm

Thanks, HM. rose

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/03/sports/tennis/03iht-coach03.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

I agree, it can be a positive motivator as well.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 03 Jun 2013, 1:41 pm

It can be a great catalyst for inspiration, or it could be a heavy albatross to carry..
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 03 Jun 2013, 1:44 pm

Or, two days after happening it could be irrelevant.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon 03 Jun 2013, 1:55 pm

HMM...my point too on the match thread. Why not use it as motivation to thank Jelena for all she did for him. It doesn't have to be a negative - she has a good long life and discovered one of the games greatest players. He'll be very sad but its not siblings, spouse, closest friend, parents or grandparents taken away suddenly, by early age or in tragic circumstances.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 03 Jun 2013, 4:15 pm

Well we have to see how he reacts she was his first coach for the first 8 years of his career. She actually, was the one that pushed him into a two handed backhand as when he was young Djokovic wanted to hit one handed like Sampras. He was very close to her after he won wimbeldon he delivered the trophy and himself to her house for pictures and a visit.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon 03 Jun 2013, 8:12 pm

From Novak's press conference today:

"I feel even more responsible now to go all the way in this tournament. I want to do it for her, also, because she was a very special person in my life. I remember the last conversation we had, two weeks ago, about Roland Garros. You know she never held any words (back), not to me or to anybody close. That’s why people respected her, because she was honest and open.

“She told me, ‘Listen, you have to focus, you have to give your attention to this tournament. This is a tournament you need to win.’ You know, she was giving me this kind of inspiration and motivation. So now I feel in her honor that I need to go all the way. But, you know, again, it’s not about me only. There are so many great players around still in the tournament. It gives me that inner strength, you know, to push even harder."

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by michael_o Mon 03 Jun 2013, 8:23 pm

You only have to look at the youtube clip where he took the Wimbledon trophy to show it off to her, to know how much he loved her (and she him). Novak is extremely emotional and her death will have undoubtedly affected him....for good or bad, we'll have to wait and see.

michael_o

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Mon 03 Jun 2013, 8:26 pm

Yea its tricky to say,it will affect him however it could end in a positive manner , only time will say.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon 03 Jun 2013, 8:51 pm

I don't want to get all gushy but Novak's comments about her in his interview today are quite moving. Warm, eloquent and perfectly judged.

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/multimedia/index.html

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 03 Jun 2013, 9:57 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:From Novak's press conference today:

"I feel even more responsible now to go all the way in this tournament. I want to do it for her, also, because she was a very special person in my life. I remember the last conversation we had, two weeks ago, about Roland Garros. You know she never held any words (back), not to me or to anybody close. That’s why people respected her, because she was honest and open.

“She told me, ‘Listen, you have to focus, you have to give your attention to this tournament. This is a tournament you need to win.’ You know, she was giving me this kind of inspiration and motivation. So now I feel in her honor that I need to go all the way. But, you know, again, it’s not about me only. There are so many great players around still in the tournament. It gives me that inner strength, you know, to push even harder."

I don't know... Maybe I'm misinterpreting a bit. But is Novak saying because a friend has died he somehow has more of a claim to win? It's almost like he's using her death to gain sympathy and support. Why link her death with his ambitions. IMO it would have been more appropriate to talk of her as a person and what she meant to him rather than use her dying as inspiration for something he desperately wants for himself personally. The quote as it stands leaves me feeling a bit uncomfortable...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 04 Jun 2013, 12:02 am

I am sure it does Hawkeye, but if Roger and Rafa were in the same position and said something similar I am also sure you would not feel uncomfortable but would be gushing about it. The man lost his mentor, who guided him as a child and told him that he was destined for greatness. The idea that he would want to win again to memorialize her efforts and to prove her right again, and bring her even more reknown for her efforts doesn't strike me as being unusual or self-centered. He said that there are other great players and didn't say anything about him deserving it more because of her death.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 04 Jun 2013, 12:09 am

@HE... Djokovic is not claiming a right, but clearly indicates the motivation.

Many, e.g. Sampras, were motivated, in similar situations.

Djokovic has indicated over last several months of a new found maturity, which should bring equanimity to his mental state.

I am glad to see his motivation. He clearly states that the presence of other greats makes the goal harder, but the victory will be that much sweeter.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Tue 04 Jun 2013, 8:21 am

If anyone can read the article in today's i (and I assume its sister paper the Indy) then I'm sure like me it'll bring at least a lump to your throat or looking for the nearest tissue.

All I can say is no wonder he lost the first set to Kohlschreiber with all this going on and it's to his eternal credit that he could keep it together well enough to doubtless make her proud.

On a lighter note she (Gencic) asked what he had in his bag the first day he turned up to play in her summer camp. "There was a racket, a bottle with water, a towel, a banana so I asked him: "Did your mother prepare your bag for you?" He was quite angry and said:" No, it was me. It is me who is playing tennis, not my mother."

Priceless.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue 04 Jun 2013, 8:56 am

I read this letter Djokovic had written to be read at Gencic's funeral service, despite all said on here it is quite touching to be fair. I can appreciate the sentiments given my son spends 6-8 hrs a week with his tennis coach and this will only increase over the years ahead. It's a lot of time to spend with someone from early childhood to teenage years when many lessons for life, not just tennis, are imparted and shared.

My dear Jelena,

I am infinitely sad to be saying goodbye to you today. You prepared me for many situations in life—for wins, for triumphs, for our trophies—but I am completely unprepared for our parting. Not being able to see you off makes me endlessly sad. Still, I know that you’d be mad if I gave up or decreased my chance to fulfill this final wish of ours, winning Roland Garros.

Thank you for your patience, your enormous love. Thank you for your everyday support, for the advice I remember, for the warm words which always carried an extraordinary message. You know that I’ve memorised them all and that I always follow your rules. Our final conversation, two weeks ago, didn’t suggest that anything was wrong. I’m sad because even then you made an effort to keep me free from any concerns and assured me that everything was alright, that you were in the hospital for a routine check-up — that I shouldn’t worry but win.

You were an angel. Both when you coached me and afterward, I felt your support wherever I went. Sincere. Strong. Unconditional. You left an indelible mark on Serbian tennis. Everyone who today holds a racquet in his or her hands is grateful to you. I promise that I will speak your name to future generations and that your spirit will live on on our tennis courts.

http://www.thetennisspace.com/novak-djokovics-letter-to-jelena-gencic/

Last edited by lydian on Tue 04 Jun 2013, 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Tue 04 Jun 2013, 9:00 am

Even serbian forums are joking as to how Djoko manages to insert himself in all news coming from Serbia.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue 04 Jun 2013, 9:04 am

Jahu, whilst I'm not Djokovic's biggest fan on this occasion I think he has a good reason to "insert himself" into this particular piece of "news".
The only area I disagree on is that should adversely affect him in his remaining matches at RG. Losing Jelena is not the same as losing his grandfather last year.
Indeed, on the contrary I think he'll use it as positive motivation given she told him 2 weeks ago to bring the trophy home to her - and as the letter above says, he says he knows she wouldn't want it to affect his chances. It will actually be interesting to see if he's a man on a mission in the remaining matches.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue 04 Jun 2013, 10:47 am

It gets a little lost in the overall picture but it's interesting that her advice to Novak was that he needs to focus and pay attention.

I wonder if Novak relating that advice is recognition that he hasn't been focused enough recently?

On a broader picture, I'm pretty confident from Novak's words and the tone in which he is speaking that this won't affect him negatively for the tournament. Quite the opposite in fact, I think it has stiffened his resolve.

I think losing the first set yesterday was, again, not adapting well to windy conditions. I don't see it as anything related to this.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 04 Jun 2013, 10:50 am

Well even if it were a reason for losing a set yesterday he came through very well in the end and should now have it all out of his system. I still don't get the impression that he appears as bullet-proof as has in the last year or two.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue 04 Jun 2013, 11:01 am

Well he's an old man of 26 now.
The body is starting to resist the elasticity he pushes it through.
Ankle injury, arm injury, now a shoulder niggle. These all speak to a body that isn't as rubbery as it once was.
Plus all these niggles can play on the mind given pain or discomfort can cause a loss of focus.
Plus he's just plain older...the older you get the more other things in life get in the way of clear thinking.
Its tough winning slams beyond 26-27...that said someone will this year given the av. age left is 29.3!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 04 Jun 2013, 11:39 am

Jahu wrote:Even serbian forums are joking as to how Djoko manages to insert himself in all news coming from Serbia.

Is there anyone else who has achieved more for Serbian Tennis and himself, than what Djokovic has helped with?

I understand your intense and personal dislike for Djokovic (the reasons for which are totally irrelevant to this discussion), but let it not get in the way of your enjoyment of a sport, which you claim to like. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Tue 04 Jun 2013, 12:56 pm

laver, it's not personal, it's global dislike, Laugh

Ok, I go away now, I no post here no more about emotional threads.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 04 Jun 2013, 1:02 pm

Seriously? I thought his countrymen adored Nole. The original Serbian Dragon. No? I wish I knew why Nole is such a tough sell.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue 04 Jun 2013, 1:19 pm

kingraf wrote:Seriously? I thought his countrymen adored Nole. The original Serbian Dragon. No? I wish I knew why Nole is such a tough sell.
Only among the die hards who already have favourites.

In fact, I don't think it's even that because the Andy fans on here seem to like Novak too.

Most of the casual watchers and general sports fans I know really like him.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 04 Jun 2013, 1:25 pm

The reason I'm saying this is because yesterday, Novaks first set wasnt even on the tennis channel, they preferred to show Nadal hi-lites. Networks dont do that unless there is a drawcard disparity.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Tue 04 Jun 2013, 1:54 pm

The problem with Celebrity people in small countries is to be modest, as people get tired of you being on the news everyday as there is nothing as big as news as you, so people turn against you as they are tired of you, your money, your Monte Carlo house and yacht, etc etc, thats how these stars fall quickly.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue 04 Jun 2013, 2:07 pm

Jahu you sound like you hail from the region, is Djokovic in the media daily type thing?
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue 04 Jun 2013, 2:20 pm

I think its largely because Djoko has not had the good fortune of a rivalry to help define him like each of Fedal and also his best play does not look as showy as Fed's or as unusually distinctive as Nadal's.

It's difficult to underestimate how Fed and Nadal have contributed to one another's legend - and it's also fair to say that Fed's all-court style of play came at just the right time for those that were fed up with the polarised styles of the 1990's.

The Fed/Djoko rivalry has produced some fantastic matches, certainly less predictable than Fedal, but it's not got the same weight as Fedal historically. Also, the Djok/Nadal and Djok/Murray rivalries are not as interesting to watch.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Tue 04 Jun 2013, 2:25 pm

Lyd, I often visit Balkans, worked around there since 1990's, still do.

Yes he is their pride and joy, daily news about who he met, who he had lunch with, who his parents had lunch with, how his tennis academy is doing and how he's never there, where his GF cuts her hair etc etc.

I was in Belgrade last summer, and there is a massive Fed/Nadal support as well, sure people tend to keep it for themselves for not sounding anti-patriotic. Also many of them started losing love for Djoko, when he wan the W and got back to Belgrade, where many of fans were waiting with nasty huge banners of swearing at Nadal.

Sure Djoko plays and needs his nationalistic card very well, but many people are tired of him publicly on news websites and forums.

There's a saying around these countries: When a gypsy guy got rich, he shot his father, as in when a poor man gets rich, he's thinks he's the King, and many Soorts/Movie stars in Serbia/Croatia/etc behave like that, so sure the struggling population will lose love for them as they appear arrogant, rich and silly.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 04 Jun 2013, 3:27 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:

In fact, I don't think it's even that because the Andy fans on here seem to like Novak too.

Just a hunch but the mutual support between Andy and Novak fans is their mutual wish to promote them and their rivalry above Fedal. It will never happen...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue 04 Jun 2013, 3:52 pm

hawkeye wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:

Just a hunch but the mutual support between Andy and Novak fans is their mutual wish to promote them and their rivalry above Fedal. It will never happen...
No need to promote it.

We get to enjoy a rivalry that still exists.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue 04 Jun 2013, 3:54 pm

hawkeye wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:

Far more likely that their fans know how much they like and respect one another - there's no enmity or reason for it - and that they appreciate that a decent rivalry benefits both players.

The suggestion that there's some calculation behind it says more about you than about anyone else.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 04 Jun 2013, 3:58 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:
hawkeye wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:

No need to promote it.

We get to enjoy a rivalry that still exists.

Ha ha! Which one?

HM. I know you are a big Djokovic fan. If Djokovic has to get beaten which player would you rather it be who does the beating. Roger, Rafa or Andy?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue 04 Jun 2013, 4:18 pm

hawkeye wrote:HM. I know you are a big Djokovic fan. If Djokovic has to get beaten which player would you rather it be who does the beating. Roger, Rafa or Andy?
Hmmm...

Roger
Pros: I like Roger and it's good if he continues getting big wins before he departs the scene.
Cons: we'd get all kinds of era debates on here.

Rafa
Pros: Not sure there are any.
Cons: He's Novak's biggest threat to the number 1 ranking.

Andy
Pros: The Murray fans are a nice bunch. Absence of threat during the clay season means he's probably a lesser challenge to the #1 spot.
Cons: It wouldn't take too much to make it a losing head to head.

If I have to choose.... Andy!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 04 Jun 2013, 4:29 pm

^

Andy is a lesser threat or not a threat at all? Rafa is the biggest threat? And Roger is... well Roger is just Roger?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue 04 Jun 2013, 4:36 pm

Andy = well, this year probably not a threat to #1 at all, given that's he's missed a slam, not scored much during the clay swing and has a heap of points to defend over summer and autumn. Who knows though?

Rafa = huge threat.

Roger = he's reduced his schedule and is already 3000 pts behind in YTD rankings. I can't see him getting back to number 1 this year.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 04 Jun 2013, 5:43 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:Andy = well, this year probably not a threat to #1 at all, given that's he's missed a slam, not scored much during the clay swing and has a heap of points to defend over summer and autumn. Who knows though?

Rafa = huge threat.

Roger = he's reduced his schedule and is already 3000 pts behind in YTD rankings. I can't see him getting back to number 1 this year.

Good analysis, Andy is the one a Novak fan doesn't mind to lose to at this time. From my own opinion, I know as a Novak fan that fedal grab too much attention in the game anyway. And Rafa can go on a run of dominating the rest of the tour and is more consistent across the three major surfaces. Not surprising, I don't like Novak to lose to Roger at all.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down