The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The BBC Commentary team needs to be gagged

+32
The Special Juan
The Facts
Andy11
21st Century Schizoid Man
ChequeredJersey
Turron
R!skysports
theslosty
coolpixel
FedsFan
sirfredperry
lydian
barrystar
time please
YvonneT
Josiah Maiestas
hornbloweroafc
bogbrush
Calder106
HM Murdock
MrInvisible
invisiblecoolers
whocares
summerblues
ryan86
hawkeye
Henman Bill
Danny_1982
JuliusHMarx
CaledonianCraig
banbrotam
Chazfazzer
36 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

The BBC Commentary team needs to be gagged - Page 4 Empty The BBC Commentary team needs to be gagged

Post by Chazfazzer Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

...and then preferably led out of the room, never to be heard from in television again. They add absolutely nothing to the match, & just detract from the experience with a constant stream of sycophantic Murray comments & inane, pointless statements. You can barely understand what Boris Becker is saying 50% of the time! I think overall these guys increase the annoyance factor by about 50% when Murray plays, which for me lifts it unbearable levels.

Chazfazzer

Back to top Go down

The BBC Commentary team needs to be gagged - Page 4 Empty Re: The BBC Commentary team needs to be gagged

Post by slashermcguirk Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:20 pm

Sky did well to get Fleming on board. Normally i dont like the panels on SKY but i do find their tennis coverage very good. The presenter Marcus is pretty good and Fleming always does a great job. Also depsite what others say i dont have too many issues with Mark Petchey and Barry Cowan. Greg Rusedski is ridiculous though, another one to rival Mr. Castle.

Whenever i see Cowan and Rusedski sitting in the studio, I see a penguin and a clown beside each other.

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

The BBC Commentary team needs to be gagged - Page 4 Empty Re: The BBC Commentary team needs to be gagged

Post by The Special Juan Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:27 pm

Fleming was commentating on Queen's and a few matches at Wimbledon. I think he can work for the BBC but they choose not to use him or under use him. Maybe one thing that contributed towards him not commentating so much was because he was playing in the legends event?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:35 pm

Sue Barker is indeed pretty hopeless. I respect what she achieved in the sport but as an anchor/host she is way below standard and I'd say the Beeb should restrict her to Question of Sport where she has a nice friendly script and sycophantic guests to work with.

Castle is tiresome as so many others have said. However, he is primarily there to paint a picture for those who watch tennis just once (or maybe twice) a year and I reckon if you took a poll of such fair-weather 'fans', that most would see him in a rather better light than we more committed aficionados do.

I agree with the comments re Fleming, in that he provides real quality and insight - and with no sign of the customary irrational bias shown so often by some.

I'm aware that Jonathan Overend has come in for heavy criticism here from time to time but I happen to think he is good when doing live radio match commentary. In fact radio commentary as a whole can be far better than TV where the Beeb is concerned. Overend has actually ended his stint of several years as the Beeb's travelling tennis correspondent, and this Wimbledon just gone was his very last tournament. (I heard him only yesterday reporting from Mexico on Taekwondo, so seems like he still gets to jetset around the world AND no doubt handsomely rewarded in the process !)    

Overend came out with a few memorable lines on radio (well IMHO anyway....!!)  in the very last stages of the Final, which I was minded to jot down.  I had the radio commentary on whilst watching TV broadcast. These comments came when Djokovic was giving every hint of staging another famous Houdini act, pulling back from 0-40 to deuce (IIRC ...?) just as Murray was looking to serve out for the title ......

"And here is Djokovic, just look at him.... he's prowling around right here in front of us. He looks like a Bond villain. He's got that knowing smile. He's nodding his head. If he had a cat, he'd be stroking it."  

Cool Cool

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:58 pm

"And here is Djokovic, just look at him.... he's prowling around right here in front of us. He looks like a Bond villain. He's got that knowing smile. He's nodding his head. If he had a cat, he'd be stroking it."

Haha, that's very good from Overend.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:00 pm

Overend's last contribution was indeed, memorable. I listened to the match on radio again and it was good

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:08 pm

Radio works because we need them to talk. On TV we see how superfluous it all is.

On US TV I was watching on a red button & the commentators were unknown. They were going three or four points without talking, and only saying what was really needed. It was brilliant.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by spdocoffee Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:40 pm

Ultimate commentary team:
Petchey
Fleming
McEnroe (either!)
Goodall
Bollettieri
Courier

Nightmare commentary team:
Castle
Rusedski
Cash
Lloyd
Wilander
Croft

spdocoffee

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:05 pm

Danny_1982 wrote:
banbrotam wrote:Watched a repeat of the final on ESPN with the Mac brothers commentating.

Infinitely better than the Beeb. Patrick actually bothered to explain why he made Murray slight favourite, i.e. because of the grass / conditions

It was a good watch and I might have to join up!!

Where did you watch it banbro, on youtube?

I'd love a link if its watchable from the UK. The ESPN commentary was miles better for the US open final last year.

Danny - Can't find my original download - but it was via a torrent

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:51 pm

Ahh shame!

Hopefully it'll appear on youtube soon enough. OK 

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:36 pm

It's maybe a good job Fed lost early this year. I mean I couldn't stand Sue Barker drooling over him like she always has done. I liken her idolisation to that of a teenage fan of OneDirection. vomit 
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:40 pm

She's nothing. Annabel Croft got to do a feature in his dressing room a while back and tried to hide in there.

She needed to shower afterwards.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:42 pm

Nauseating really but never saw a whole thread dedicated to that adulation.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:13 pm

I've never had a problem with adulation for sporting stars. Federer, Nadal, Beckham, Ronaldo... Murray in recent months. The sports thrive by marketing it's stars.

Some of it is over the top, but so what? People can always turn the volume down if it really bothers them.

By the way, if i was asked to do a feature in Kirilenko or Lisicki's dressing room (now that would be nice) I'd want to stay in there. So I don't blame Croft.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:33 pm

lags72 wrote:Overend came out with a few memorable lines on radio (well IMHO anyway....!!) in the very last stages of the Final, which I was minded to jot down. I had the radio commentary on whilst watching TV broadcast. These comments came when Djokovic was giving every hint of staging another famous Houdini act, pulling back from 0-40 to deuce (IIRC ...?) just as Murray was looking to serve out for the title ......

I like listening to Overend on the radio - but the commentary above as elevated him to will go out of my way to tune into in future.

Great off the cuff.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:35 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:Nauseating really but never saw a whole thread dedicated to that adulation.
Probably because she didn't make two weeks of it or spoil matches by jabbering on about it.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:39 pm

Oh but she did. Sue was forever drooling over Roger for many years - it is just that some of us can turn a blind eye and not get upset by a bit of obsessive doting.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:44 pm

In fact I now know why Greg Rusedski doesn't work for the BBC. It would be a bit dangerous if Sue Barker passed out drooling over Roger as Grinning Greg couldn't be allowed to give her the kiss of life as with those teeth of his he'd bite her tonsils out.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:18 am

time please wrote:
lags72 wrote:Overend came out with a few memorable lines on radio (well IMHO anyway....!!)  in the very last stages of the Final, which I was minded to jot down.  I had the radio commentary on whilst watching TV broadcast. These comments came when Djokovic was giving every hint of staging another famous Houdini act, pulling back from 0-40 to deuce (IIRC ...?) just as Murray was looking to serve out for the title ......

I like listening to Overend on the radio - but the commentary above as elevated him to will go out of my way to tune into in future.

Great off the cuff.

Ah yes, but like I said tp, Wimbledon 2013 was his very last tennis event for BBC and although he is apparently still with Radio Five Live he is now involved with other sports ; hence my reference to Taekwondo from Mexico City !

Meanwhile, may I please propose a total embargo on any further discussion of Sue Barker. She encapsulates all that is bad about BBC TV tennis coverage.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:33 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:Oh but she did. Sue was forever drooling over Roger for many years - it is just that some of us can turn a blind eye and not get upset by a bit of obsessive doting.
No, I meant Annabel Croft.

Barker drools endlessly over Federer and fawns over Murray. It's tedious.

Annabel is pleasant about it.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:41 am

lags72 wrote:
time please wrote:
lags72 wrote:Overend came out with a few memorable lines on radio (well IMHO anyway....!!)  in the very last stages of the Final, which I was minded to jot down.  I had the radio commentary on whilst watching TV broadcast. These comments came when Djokovic was giving every hint of staging another famous Houdini act, pulling back from 0-40 to deuce (IIRC ...?) just as Murray was looking to serve out for the title ......

Great off the cuff.

Ah yes, but like I said tp, Wimbledon 2013 was his very last tennis event for BBC and although he is apparently still with Radio Five Live he is now involved with other sports ; hence my reference to Taekwondo from Mexico City !

Meanwhile, may I please propose a total embargo on any further discussion of Sue Barker. She encapsulates all that is bad about BBC TV tennis coverage.

Oh shame - I am always behind the curve!! Very Happy 

Sue Barker suffers from the same thing as many BBC presenters - she is overused and consequently over here (on our screens) far too often!  The Beeb seem to like to get their money's worth at the expense of testing their viewers' boredom thresholds to the limit!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:48 pm

job involves a lot of driving so I listened to most of it on the radio and I would like to say that Jana nowotna should commentate on everything. Age has the sexiest voice in the world.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4