The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sam Burgess

+5
kingelderfield
Rugby Fan
Geordie
HammerofThunor
robshaw4england
9 posters

Go down

Sam Burgess Empty Sam Burgess

Post by robshaw4england Wed 4 Dec 2013 - 23:50

If Sam Burgess was to make a switch to rugby union, what would his best position be?!

robshaw4england

Back to top Go down

Sam Burgess Empty Re: Sam Burgess

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 5 Dec 2013 - 0:11

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 5 Dec 2013 - 2:24

Which ever he wants...no one would argue with him!

But his skills would be great for No.8

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Wed 5 Feb 2014 - 4:01

How can a switch to union at the beginning of next season be "in time" for the World Cup?

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by kingelderfield Wed 5 Feb 2014 - 23:04

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/rabbitohs-coach-michael-maguire-signs-fouryear-deal-but-will-sam-burgess-stay/story-e6frf3uu-1226818020550

When I first heard this story I assumed, and imagined like everyone else, that it was simply the usual ploy to negotiate a better than existing contract. Added to that we've had the RFU denial, however there has been no official comment from the player or his current employer and this does proffer the possibility that the story does in fact have legs.

Personally I think it would be mad cap, but I guess when rugby is your play thing and it’s your money to spend as you choose then anything is a possibility. Successful or not such a signing would be some sort of code coup.

kingelderfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Wed 5 Feb 2014 - 23:40

Guys ... Sam Burgess is a real piece of slime. Almost certainly a card and suspension machine in Union. He won't get away with all this off the ball stuff in Union or having a go at the testicles of opposition players which he has done on numerous occasions. Have a look at this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJjqMukSiSY

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by kingelderfield Thu 6 Feb 2014 - 1:22

Artful_Dodger wrote:Guys ... Sam Burgess is a real piece of slime.  Almost certainly a card and suspension machine in Union.  He won't get away with all this off the ball stuff in Union or having a go at the testicles of opposition players which he has done on numerous occasions.  Have a look at this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJjqMukSiSY

There's no denying he has a nasty cheap side to his play, the question is can his undoubted talent be harnessed to succeed within the disciplined confines of international rugby union? From a positional skills based perspective, I very much doubt it, especially within the constraints of time and Lancaster's coaching / leadership.

If he were to successfully cross over as a FORWARD, then either 5,6 or 8 would be his options, most probably 6 or 8.

I have no idea about any of this and actually still think it is all hogwash, however it will be very interesting watching if it does happen.

kingelderfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu 6 Feb 2014 - 3:54

I would imagine he would play 6. Can't see him having that much of an impact to break into the World Cup squad in one season though.

Who would sign him? I would imagine he would be on high wages for someone unproven in the code.

Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by kingelderfield Thu 6 Feb 2014 - 4:24

Bath appear to be in the frame, though Leicester were mentioned.....my hunch if there's any truth to it at all is that Bath have made enquiries.

kingelderfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Thu 6 Feb 2014 - 17:38

We shall see. I'm yet to be convinced that a player can make the transition over the course of a season. It may be possible if he comes in as a centre and they are willing to sacrifice a bit of nous at the ruck/maul for his other attributes. However, if they want him in the pack in time for 2015 they can forget it. Maybe if he'd come over 2/3 years ago, but not now.

Big

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 6 Feb 2014 - 20:39

Inside centre, by all accounts, and likely heading to Barf, altho how the feic they can fit him in under the salary cap is the stuff of magicians

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down