The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has Anyone Been To A Place Called York Shire?

+5
JuliusHMarx
littleswannygirl
Galted
superflyweight
TopHat24/7
9 posters

Go down

Has Anyone Been To A Place Called York Shire? Empty Has Anyone Been To A Place Called York Shire?

Post by Galted Wed 12 Feb 2014, 1:04 pm

Looking to get a bit of nature somewhere in the UK over Easter - ideally a comfortable to luxurious guest houseish place with decent walks. Won't be driving so it would need to be fairly close to a station. Found quite a good place on the internetwork in December, all that I can remember was that it's in Yorkshire, the rooms looked out onto a manicured lawn where tea was served and it was closed for the winter. Doesn't have to be Yorkshire as I'm a bit intimidated by serial killers and Rowley but if anyone's got any ideas it would be appreciated.

PS - I'm not afraid of rugged terrain as I have Hi-Tecs.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Has Anyone Been To A Place Called York Shire? Empty Re: Has Anyone Been To A Place Called York Shire?

Post by superflyweight Wed 12 Feb 2014, 1:11 pm

Yes.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Has Anyone Been To A Place Called York Shire? Empty Re: Has Anyone Been To A Place Called York Shire?

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 12 Feb 2014, 1:12 pm

Are you London based, Galted?

Ever get up to Epping Forrest? Is a beautiful peaceful countryside area but accessible on the tube and has lots of good walks and some nice pubs too.

York itself is a fab city, makes a great weekend trip from London - especially if you sign up for the cheap tickets on EastCoast.co.uk and get up there almost for free.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 12 Feb 2014, 1:16 pm

Cheers, TopHat. Yep, London-based. Tend to venture to the south coast or to Edinburgh if I'm not crossing any oceans or channels. It is quite criminal that I've never been to Epping forest and that the only time I've been anywhere near York is passing through on a train. Unfortunately too much internet choice confuses me and I end up sticking with the tried and trusted.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 12 Feb 2014, 1:17 pm

superflyweight wrote:Yes.  

Did you see any moors?

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Wed 12 Feb 2014, 1:24 pm

The politically correct term is "North African Muslims", Galted.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 12 Feb 2014, 1:26 pm

Cheers, heard they did so much f*****g with Sicilian women they changed the bloodline forever.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 12 Feb 2014, 1:38 pm

Galted wrote:Cheers, TopHat.  Yep, London-based.  Tend to venture to the south coast or to Edinburgh if I'm not crossing any oceans or channels.  It is quite criminal that I've never been to Epping forest and that the only time I've been anywhere near York is passing through on a train.  Unfortunately too much internet choice confuses me and I end up sticking with the tried and trusted.

Whereabouts in London?

It's so easy to get there (admittedly I drive) there really is no excuse not to pop up to EF!!

Liverpool St to Loughton, for example, is just 25 mins on the Central Line.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 12 Feb 2014, 1:45 pm

Southeast, between Lewisham and Bromley. Would be quite an irony going to a destination that's less distance than to Gatwick or Heathrow.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 12 Feb 2014, 1:56 pm

Ok, that's a bit more of an excuse then, I never went when living in Queens Park but since I've moved out to north London I get to EF every couple of months since it's only a 25 minute drive.

Is nice to clear the lungs of smog and pollution every now and again and get some fresh air!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by littleswannygirl Thu 13 Feb 2014, 12:58 pm

Yorkshire's a bloomin' big county Galted, though if you need train access that will limit your options a little.

What about the Peak District? Hills and dales aplenty. It's actually Derbyshire and not Yorkshire but it's near enough and is a little less intimidating...

If you really are thinking of heading north, I can probably help with some ideas. Callow Hall in Ashbourne is nice but that's probably booked already, you haven't left yourself a lot of time.
littleswannygirl
littleswannygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 13 Feb 2014, 1:08 pm

Cheers, swanny. Used Easter as a target to get my arse into gear but it's not set in stone. Callow Hall does look very nice but you're right, it is already booked, might be an idea for later in the year. Will do a bit of research about the Peak District though.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by littleswannygirl Thu 13 Feb 2014, 1:28 pm

Ah ok, that makes things easier if you can be flexible with dates, and probably rather cheaper too. I shall have a ponder on other possibilities for you. Just shout if you have questions on anywhere in particular, I'll answer them if I can.
littleswannygirl
littleswannygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Feb 2014, 1:28 pm

Galted wrote:Looking to get a bit of nature somewhere in the UK over Easter - ideally a comfortable to luxurious guest houseish place with decent walks.  Won't be driving so it would need to be fairly close to a station.  Found quite a good place on the internetwork in December, all that I can remember was that it's in Yorkshire, the rooms looked out onto a manicured lawn where tea was served and it was closed for the winter.  Doesn't have to be Yorkshire as I'm a bit intimidated by serial killers and Rowley but if anyone's got any ideas it would be appreciated.

PS - I'm not afraid of rugged terrain as I have Hi-Tecs.

Sounds like my conservatory...

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 13 Feb 2014, 1:34 pm

littleswannygirl wrote:Ah ok, that makes things easier if you can be flexible with dates, and probably rather cheaper too. I shall have a ponder on other possibilities for you. Just shout if you have questions on anywhere in particular, I'll answer them if I can.

Thanks, have already received more usable advice from you on this thread than I did from Tino, Rowley, michaels and select others in 30 odd pages on the Reykjavik one.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Feb 2014, 1:39 pm

Galted wrote:
littleswannygirl wrote:Ah ok, that makes things easier if you can be flexible with dates, and probably rather cheaper too. I shall have a ponder on other possibilities for you. Just shout if you have questions on anywhere in particular, I'll answer them if I can.

Thanks, have already received more usable advice from you on this thread than I did from Tino, Rowley, michaels and select others in 30 odd pages on the Reykjavik one.
Why don't you just stay at their house Galted...save you both a lot of time faffing around with internet dating

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 13 Feb 2014, 1:44 pm

York (which is in York Shire) has a very good museum. It's indoors so you could probably wear sandals instead of Hi-Tecs and look only marginally less silly.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 13 Feb 2014, 1:47 pm

Galted wrote:

Ahem...! <coughs>

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 13 Feb 2014, 2:21 pm

Sorry TopHat, would've mentioned your input but am intimidated by the amount of internet bullying directed at you and didn't want to be targeted.

@ the 667Killer, the restraining order on me approaching people I've met on the net is in place for a few years more.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 13 Feb 2014, 2:23 pm

Galted wrote:Sorry TopHat, would've mentioned your input but am intimidated by the amount of internet bullying directed at you and didn't want to be targeted.

Laugh 

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Feb 2014, 3:13 pm

Galted wrote:Sorry TopHat, would've mentioned your input but am intimidated by the amount of internet bullying directed at you and didn't want to be targeted.

@ the 667Killer, the restraining order on me approaching people I've met on the net is in place for a few years more.
What if you actually dressed up as that 14 year old girl you've been pretending to be since 2003?

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 13 Feb 2014, 3:51 pm

I get you and shah bothering me.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Feb 2014, 3:55 pm

You say that like it's a bad thing

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 13 Feb 2014, 4:48 pm

I've had worse experiences.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 13 Feb 2014, 4:50 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:York (which is in York Shire) has a very good museum. It's indoors so you could probably wear sandals instead of Hi-Tecs and look only marginally less silly.

Could possibly hollow out two fish and wear them on his feet and look marginally less silly.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Thu 13 Feb 2014, 9:59 pm

Yorkshire would be a fantastic destination Galted. Although I'd avoid Wesies (West Yorkshire people that call Castleford Cass).

York is a great city, the Shambles, the Minster, a seemingly unlimited amount of pubs and restaurants, the city walls, Museums parks, the dungeons, Jorvik centre, National Railway Musuem, Cliffords tower, a quality dingy little music venue called fibbers and lots more besides.

On the coast you have Scarborough, Whitby, Robin Hoods Bay, Runswick Bay and Staithes which are all lovely.

Leeds and Sheffield have a great night life.

Helmsley, Ripon, Richmond, Harrogate, Middleham and Pickering are quaint little towns with plenty of history.

North Yorkshire moors and dales for plenty of walks including the Lyke Wake Walk and the Cleveland Way.

You will have a great time and the people are very friendly despite what people on here sometimes believe!

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 14 Feb 2014, 9:22 am

spencerclarke wrote:
On the coast you have Scarborough, Whitby, Robin Hoods Bay, Runswick Bay and Staithes which are all lovely.

Have you ever been to Staithes, Spence? Weird place, proper inbred, like a northern coastal version of Royston Vasey.

My aunty lived there for a few years (well, Cowbar to be precise), glad she moved back to Stockton frankly!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 14 Feb 2014, 9:51 am

spencerclarke wrote:Yorkshire would be a fantastic destination Galted.  Although I'd avoid Wesies (West Yorkshire people that call Castleford Cass).

York is a great city, the Shambles, the Minster, a seemingly unlimited amount of pubs and restaurants, the city walls, Museums parks, the dungeons, Jorvik centre, National Railway Musuem, Cliffords tower, a quality dingy little music venue called fibbers and lots more besides.

Leeds and Sheffield have a great night life.

Helmsley, Ripon, Richmond, Harrogate, Middleham and Pickering are quaint little towns with plenty of history.

North Yorkshire moors and dales for plenty of walks including the Lyke Wake Walk and the Cleveland Way.

You will have a great time and the people are very friendly despite what people on here sometimes believe!

Cheers, Spencer, plenty of places to be researched, doubt I'll be too productive workwise next week. I had a one-week career in the Xmas tree-farming industry in the mid-90s so have some experience of Harrogate (where I waited in the snow for the farm manager to collect me) and Ripon. The countryside was quite pretty although I did grow to hate Xmas.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Feb 2014, 10:48 am

Robin Hoods Bay bloody stinks...avoid!!!!
Whitby...get some fish and chips, walk up to the castle and....well that's about it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 14 Feb 2014, 10:51 am

Galted wrote:

You asked a direct question about Reykjavik and I gave you a direct answer. You then fired off an obscenity at me. That is the truth of the matter.

Some people can be so ungrateful.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 14 Feb 2014, 10:52 am

DAVE667 wrote:Robin Hoods Bay bloody stinks...avoid!!!!
Whitby...get some fish and chips, walk up to the castle and....well that's about it.

Exactly how Bram Stoker described it in Dracula.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 14 Feb 2014, 10:59 am

Haha!

Best fish & chips in England though, almost worth the 3hr drive from London alone!

Used to love the amusement arcades as a kid too. Think my parents did too, £2 changed into 2p & 5p's would keep me busy for hours in there!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 14 Feb 2014, 11:01 am

Did you sneer and laugh at the poor kids whose parents could only change up 50p?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Feb 2014, 11:01 am

superflyweight wrote:

Exactly how Bram Stoker described it in Dracula.  
The extended version does, I believe, contain the words "the place is utter w*nk"

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 14 Feb 2014, 11:03 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
Galted wrote:

You asked a direct question about Reykjavik and I gave you a direct answer.  You then fired off an obscenity at me.  That is the truth of the matter.

You deserved it for being a pompous little stalker.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 14 Feb 2014, 11:08 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:Did you sneer and laugh at the poor kids whose parents could only change up 50p?

Nope, didn't know the difference, was young and naïve and hadn't had my eyes opened to the world.....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 14 Feb 2014, 11:13 am

Galted wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
Galted wrote:

You asked a direct question about Reykjavik and I gave you a direct answer.  You then fired off an obscenity at me.  That is the truth of the matter.

You deserved it for being a pompous little stalker.

C*ck.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 14 Feb 2014, 11:19 am

Laugh 

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Fri 14 Feb 2014, 12:54 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
spencerclarke wrote:

Have you ever been to Staithes, Spence? Weird place, proper inbred, like a northern coastal version of Royston Vasey.

My aunty lived there for a few years (well, Cowbar to be precise), glad she moved back to Stockton frankly!!

Had to laugh at this post mate, I used to play football for Staithes and my office is 5 mins from Cowbar! Think most of my mates are the inbred people you are talking about! Very Happy

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Fri 14 Feb 2014, 1:07 pm

Dave think you might be thinking of Scarborough as there is no castle at Whitby.

Whitby is far from a large place but it's nice for a walk out, is picturesque, has lots of character and there are plenty of fishing and boat trips. The pubs and restaurants are good (I'd avoid the tourist trap that is the Magpie though, no better than many of the places without a queue). Also it is home to the famous Seasiders Whitby Town FC. Smile

Not sure where you got that Robin Hood Bay stinks from mind? It's a lovely place. None of these seaside places are by themselves a full day visit but the are all very close to one another and make a nice day going to a few of them. I missed out Sandsend as well. There is a nice four mile walk that goes from the car park.

Gothland (Heartbeat country is also only a few miles away).

Near Pickering you have Dalby Forest as well where you can do plenty of walks/mountain biking/segway riding/go ape and concerts in the summer.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Feb 2014, 1:24 pm

spencerclarke wrote:

Dave think you might be thinking of Scarborough as there is no castle at Whitby.

Whitby is far from a large place but it's nice for a walk out, is picturesque, has lots of character and there are plenty of fishing and boat trips.  The pubs and restaurants are good (I'd avoid the tourist trap that is the Magpie though, no better than many of the places without a queue).  Also it is home to the famous Seasiders Whitby Town FC. Smile

Not sure where you got that Robin Hood Bay stinks from mind?  It's a lovely place.  None of these seaside places are by themselves a full day visit but the are all very close to one another and make a nice day going to a few of them.  I missed out Sandsend as well.  There is a nice four mile walk that goes from the car park.

Gothland (Heartbeat country is also only a few miles away).
Castle...Abbey...it's a pile of stones with supposed historic value but sweet F.A. outside of that. Oh, re Gothland you could also buy some silver and Onyx jewellery...if you're an idiot!

I got that Robin's Hood Bay stinks because I went a few years ago.....and it stank!

Wife likes Blackpool (she's from Lancashire, what can I say?) but outside of Scarborough, I struggle to find any other reason to convince her to visit the East Coast

Near Pickering you have Dalby Forest as well where you can do plenty of walks/mountain biking/segway riding/go ape and concerts in the summer.
Bloody hell, I was supposed to write Castle...Abbey, it's just a pile of rubble that you have to walk up a million steps to see. Just like in Scarborough.

Last edited by DAVE667 on Mon 17 Feb 2014, 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I'm an idiot)

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 16 Feb 2014, 9:17 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Are you London based, Galted?

Ever get up to Epping Forrest? Is a beautiful peaceful countryside area but accessible on the tube and has lots of good walks and some nice pubs too.

York itself is a fab city, makes a great weekend trip from London - especially if you sign up for the cheap tickets on EastCoast.co.uk and get up there almost for free.

My father in law used to do a lot of business in London and owned a house on a road called Stanmore way in Loughton.........Sometimes we'd borrow the house at weekends or go visiting him when he was stuck up there...(preferred the former !!)..Nice place..

That was right on Epping forest and we used to go for walks there a lot.......Come to think of it there was a guy who resembled the Marshmallow man in there a lot !!

Beautiful piece of Country..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 17 Feb 2014, 9:33 am

Loughton is absolutely lovely, and on the tube line still.

It's where I'd like to move to if/when having a house becomes an issue.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down