The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Scotland 'I give up' Thread

+30
MacKnocked-on
Totalflanker
Anglobraveheart
aqualung71
TheMildlyFranticLlama
IanBru
alive555
Lowlandbrit
Rory_Gallagher
VinceWLB
GunsGerms
Alex_Germany
Notch
Brendan
glamorganalun
funnyExiledScot
21st Century Schizoid Man
George Carlin
Scratch
tigertattie
beshocked
RuggerRadge2611
thebandwagonsociety
jimbopip
cakeordeath
Nachos Jones
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
rodders
R!skysports
34 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The Scotland 'I give up' Thread - Page 2 Empty The Scotland 'I give up' Thread

Post by R!skysports Mon 10 Mar 2014, 3:28 pm

First topic message reminder :

As a few of us Scots are coming to the end of our tether, and ability to be able to raise the energy levels to watch the continued garbage that we once called Scottish Rugby, I thought I would create a new thread - so that I, and my disillusioned' friends do not de-rail the other threads

My summation of how i feel now is - Dead inside

some of my musings below (picked for recent threads)

"In reality - who cares about this match now

I have lost all faith and energy and will be playing golf instead

At least when I stuff up a shot, I know I can only blame myself

It is just too depressing being a Scotland fan, and I am fed but wasting my time watching this rubbish every week"

and in response to people who think we played well against France....

"Sorry I do not actually think we did play that well at all. We may have had 20 mins of ok play - but this was a French team that a bunch of boy scouts, with a single proficiency badge in canoeing could have beaten

We had two scores and one other try scoring position - but that is all - the rest of the time we did what we always do and have done for 10 years - lots of possession, running across the park, making little dent in the 22

The second half was a joke. Even after the interception, I can not stand how easily we give up - THEY ARE Fing PROFESSIONALS and if any one I played gave up like that they would be dropped

So in Summary

We did not play well
The opposition were a joke (running into each other)
We STILL COULD NOT WIN
and we gave up

Why should I waste my valuable (in my eyes) time, ?

PS I am not even angry any more - just accepting that we are c r a p and have not progressed in 10 years (We can keep deluding ourselves that we have but the results do not lie) - and that is what really means this is becoming a waste of my time - I have no passion left for it"

Anyone else feel free to vent, tell stories of what we once had, share experiences  - this is a support group

My Name is RiskySports - I am 2 days clean of caring about Scotland rugby

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

The Scotland 'I give up' Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Scotland 'I give up' Thread

Post by George Carlin Sun 01 Mar 2015, 12:24 pm

I thought for one happy moment Asbo had returned and then I realised that the thread is a year old.

How utterly, fecking depressing that we can simply cut and paste a thread that is fundementally about disappointment.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

The Scotland 'I give up' Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Scotland 'I give up' Thread

Post by R!skysports Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:03 pm

Anglobraveheart wrote:Risky, the next game is a fortnight away. Dont do all your gardening next weekend, or you'll have no excuse to miss the England game....

Ah. It seems my planning is as good as the sru

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Fri 13 Mar 2015, 12:47 pm

George Carlin wrote:I thought for one happy moment Asbo had returned and then I realised that the thread is a year old.

How utterly, fecking depressing that we can simply cut and paste a thread that is fundementally about disappointment.

Not even cut and paste - just commented on it and it came to the top

Every single point is exaclty the same and the Scotland team has not moved on an inch -

It makes me laugh that we have our supporters discussing how every single one of our backs are better than the English counterpart - delusional and depressing

I will be watching, but also considering laying some grass if the beer does not dampen the pain

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 13 Mar 2015, 12:52 pm

Riskysports wrote:
I will be watching, but also considering laying smoking some grass if the beer does not dampen the pain

probably a better thing to do
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 13 Mar 2015, 12:55 pm

Riskysports wrote:
George Carlin wrote:I thought for one happy moment Asbo had returned and then I realised that the thread is a year old.

Not even cut and paste - just commented on it and it came to the top

Every single point is exaclty the same and the Scotland team has not moved on an inch -

It makes me laugh that we have our supporters discussing how every single one of our backs are better than the English counterpart - delusional and depressing

I will be watching, but also considering laying some grass if the beer does not dampen the pain

Not everything is the same: ASBO has gone awa and Alex Dunbar is out for the rest of the season and probably the World Cup too. Fecc fecc feccity fecc. Really miss ASBO.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Totalflanker Fri 13 Mar 2015, 1:25 pm

Results aside (and I realise it is a results business) not quite as depressing as years gone by.....

1) we actually do have a back line that have the potential to score. 1999 aside for about 15 years we had a forward pack that would win 60-70% of possession and we would do nothing with it. All we need now is a scrum half that can give quick service......or rather.....just select one of the two we actually already have.

2) the pack is really only missing a tighthead.....and the selection of the right backrow players that are available.

3) we have a coach that can take us forward.......once at least one of the hands is untied from behind his back.

Now if you want depression...... If the French have got any sense they will ditch st. Andre and afraid after the WC Vern won't be seen for dust.

Totalflanker

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Fri 13 Mar 2015, 1:42 pm

Totalflanker wrote:Results aside (and I realise it is a results business) not quite as depressing as years gone by.....

1) we actually do have a back line that have the potential to score. 1999 aside for about 15 years we had a forward pack that would win 60-70% of possession and we would do nothing with it. All we need now is a scrum half that can give quick service......or rather.....just select one of the two we actually already have.

2) the pack is really only missing a tighthead.....and the selection of the right backrow players that are available.

3) we have a coach that can take us forward.......once at least one of the hands is untied from behind his back.

Now if you want depression...... If the French have got any sense they will ditch st. Andre and afraid after the WC Vern won't be seen for dust.

On paper I would agree with you...but....

Every year we have the same old round about of nearlys, if only we had, and what could have been

Looking at your 3 points..

1) True to an extend - we have had a lot of chances this 6 nations and butchered a lot of them in the backs - this is a mystical back line that is suddenly better than everyone else. We can run fast and junk, but other basics are missing including catching a high ball - we all seem to get a little starry eyed at running fast forward

2) Really - a tighhead is all it is - we have not dominted anyone in the scrum, maul and in the break down. It is more than just one position. We have had the right backrow before and it was much the same

3) I hope so, but I really do not think he has one hand tied behind him. If he is as scary as people say - he will be making the decisions himself. Anything else is an excuse

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 13 Mar 2015, 3:20 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
George Carlin wrote:I feel the OPs pain, but obviously we will never stop following and supporting the team. It's like Stockholm Syndrome - you become dependant on your abuser.

Cotter will make a difference. He's too good a coach not to and I believe if he brings his backroom staff with him, the players will respond well. Still believe that Scotland are only a good team selection, a 90% fit squad and a boot up the crevice away from being a very good team.

Agree. As an Edinburgh fan I can testify to the difference moving from a completely useless coaching regime to a competent one can make. Also remember what happened when Matt Williams was replaced with Frank Hadden.

There is no questionning Cotter's pedigree as an excellent coach, and assuming he's allowed to revamp his back room staff as he sees fit, we will see improvements.

This is not a bad group of players, but they are poorly coached, under prepared in comparison to their rivals and horribly selected by Scott Johnson. The comparison between Johnson on the one hand and Schmidt, Lancaster and Gatland on the other is horrible.

This comment showed particularly good judgement in my humble opinion Wink ....shame Cotter got stuck with the chumps hand picked by Johnson.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Totalflanker Fri 13 Mar 2015, 3:57 pm

Riskysports wrote:
Totalflanker wrote:Results aside (and I realise it is a results business) not quite as depressing as years gone by.....

On paper I would agree with you...but....

Every year we have the same old round about of nearlys, if only we had, and what could have been

Looking at your 3 points..

1) True to an extend - we have had a lot of chances this 6 nations and butchered a lot of them in the backs - this is a mystical back line that is suddenly better than everyone else. We can run fast and junk, but other basics are missing including catching a high ball - we all seem to get a little starry eyed at running fast forward

2) Really - a tighhead is all it is - we have not dominted anyone in the scrum, maul and in the break down. It is more than just one position. We have had the right backrow before and it was much the same

3) I hope so, but I really do not think he has one hand tied behind him. If he is as scary as people say - he will be making the decisions himself. Anything else is an excuse

Fair play and tongue was firmly in cheek for some of the above as they are some of the oft mentioned clichés. But we are better, just that everyone else is better too, with bigger budgets and bigger player bases.

Totalflanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Totalflanker Fri 13 Mar 2015, 3:58 pm

Serious about Vern though - if I was France I would offer him a job.

Totalflanker

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 13 Mar 2015, 4:05 pm

Totalflanker wrote:Serious about Vern though - if I was France I would offer him a job.

Agreed - they missed a trick there. He'd have been perfect for them.

I wonder if they'll end up back with Laporte.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Sat 14 Mar 2015, 10:24 am

To call for Cotter to go is a bit ridiculous frankly, we could quite easily be going in to today's game on the back of three wins; if we had kicked the goals we missed against France we would have won, the referee basically gave Wales the game through his ineptitude and against Italy, our worst display, if we had cleared our lines at the end we would most probably have held on.
So given all three games were so close I think we have made progress of sorts up till now.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by Totalflanker Sat 14 Mar 2015, 12:58 pm

MacKnocked-on wrote:To call for Cotter to go is a bit ridiculous frankly, we could quite easily be going in to today's game on the back of three wins; if we had kicked the goals we missed against France we would have won, the referee basically gave Wales the game through his ineptitude and against Italy, our worst display, if we had cleared our lines at the end we would most probably have held on.
So given all three games were so close I think we have made progress of sorts up till now.  

Don't think anyone is calling for Cotter to go - my point was I think we might be lucky if we are able to keep him.

Totalflanker

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRugbyMaster Sat 14 Mar 2015, 1:24 pm

I could just see Scotland getting up and upsetting England today. Can you just imagine the meltdown that would ensue if they could pull that off! Ho ho, fairly set the cat amongst the pigeons that would do!

TheRugbyMaster

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Sat 14 Mar 2015, 6:49 pm

Looking forward to some new members joining this conversation.

That was a pathetic Scotland performance

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottish White Line Fever Sat 14 Mar 2015, 6:56 pm

I'll just copy and paste this from the thread I had created.

After another defeat today, I'm struggling to see many positives emerge from this Six Nations now.

The defence was woeful once again this evening - it's unacceptable for a team to tackle like that at this level. England thoroughly deserved their win. I don't fancy us to beat Ireland so realistically that leaves us picking up yet another Wooden Spoon.

Other than Hogg's performances this 6N, there hasn't been much else to take from this year's tournament. Part of the issue I feel is that not many of our squad have experience of winning tournaments and so haven't experienced winning in "big" matches. Hopefully Glasgow can get over the line in the Pro12 this year, because it could help develop a "winning culture" and get many of our key players used to winning tight matches. It wouldn't necessarily have made a big difference to the England match, but it might have given us the edge in the Italy match or even the France and Wales matches.

For the Ireland match, I think we need to shake things up and give more game time to the likes of SHC, Toolis and Watson. We literally have nothing to lose because we could already have the Wooden Spoon by then, depending on how Italy get on tomorrow. I would also like to see Fraser Brown start because we need to prepare for him starting against SA or Samoa if Ford is injured.

I would add though that we haven't had the rub of the green this tournament - the rebounding penalties, Cole not getting a yellow and the break of the ball at times has not favoured us.

Scottish White Line Fever

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Sat 14 Mar 2015, 6:58 pm

The sad thing is that while this thread was started over a year ago, it is still 100% true still today

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 14 Mar 2015, 7:10 pm

26 missed tackles by us!!!!!

Only Hogg can come away from that game with any form of personal satisfaction at the job he did!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Sat 14 Mar 2015, 7:14 pm

Thought Cowen played well and Denton smashh

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 14 Mar 2015, 7:16 pm

How can our defence be so bad? Especially when Glasgow's is so good?
It's the easiest part of the modern game to be good at for frak's sake.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottish White Line Fever Sat 14 Mar 2015, 7:18 pm

George Carlin wrote:How can our defence be so bad? Especially when Glasgow's is so good?
It's the easiest part of the modern game to be good at for frak's sake.

For me it highlights the importance of Dunbar to both teams - it's not something I had considered until today!

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 14 Mar 2015, 7:20 pm

If it wasn't for hogg and England's inability to pass the ball backwards, there should have been another 35 points added to the scoreline
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Sat 14 Mar 2015, 8:15 pm

I really think we going to struggle to get out our group..

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottish White Line Fever Sat 14 Mar 2015, 8:18 pm

Riskysports wrote:I really think we going to struggle to get out our group..

We should beat USA and Japan and lose to SA heavily - key game is Samoa - we might beat them if it's a horrendously windy and wet Newcastle day! But I have my doubts as to whether we can front up to the physicality which they will bring.

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat 14 Mar 2015, 8:27 pm

Hogg was good today, as were Gray and Cowan. The rest were pretty average.

Not a good year for us, and Ireland next week will be a real struggle.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Sat 14 Mar 2015, 8:47 pm

Dunbar was a massive loss for us defensively. If Nowell could give  a pass we would have been faced a heavy defeat today. Not really Scott's fault as he is only recently back from injury but what is also clear as day is that our half backs cannot play a kicking game a la Biggar or Sexton. Frodo's kicking was poor and he must go. SHC, Henners and Cus must be the way forward to give Russell the time to do his gallus best.

But the main thing is that the SRU must use some of the 20 Million windfall they got from BT to ditch Johnson, Humphreys and all the other medioce coaches they have on their books.  Munro as forwards coach and Lineen for the backs could be a stop gap until full time class candidates can be put in place. Its the one thing that makes me think Big Vern isnt as hard as he seems. How could he agree to take the head job without insiting that he be allowed to choose his own back room staff, when we were clearly a basket case last season?

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Sat 21 Mar 2015, 5:03 pm

Well that was an all time low..

I am now selling my world cup tickets.

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottish Shaun Sat 21 Mar 2015, 5:42 pm

Change of coach is a MUST!

Plus get 1st team squad to Frak as well and play Under 20s.

Scottish Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 21 Mar 2015, 6:44 pm

George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2