The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mcdonnell and Degale needed this

+9
Michaels, Sean
beastfromthesoutheast
callan
ArchBritishchris
BALTIMORA
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Liam_Main
Fists of Fury
Seanusarrilius
13 posters

Go down

Mcdonnell and Degale needed this Empty Mcdonnell and Degale needed this

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 22 May 2011, 3:51 pm

Firstly well done groves, i am so pleased, i had it very very close and am rewatching it now to rescore but almost had it even first time round. But what a night for Groves, credit where it is due, Degale looked a little lost at how to break down a opponent who was elusive. Groves stuck to his gameplan with gusto and il even give big up to Booth who devised a great plan.

So glad Degales trainer now has to shut up and Degale needs to learn how to fight opponents who move sideways. Degale still has talent and a rematch in ten fights time or so would be great. But i thought it was a great little fight and saved the card. Yes they could both learn alot but so what they will. They are both young and just earnt crazy money and can both go on to bigger things, Groves at euro level for a bit now and Degale needs to take a little break come back stronge r with that L on his record. Serves him rught for all that bet talk at the presser and his trainer is a complete t**t mcdonnell. hahaha, where your twenty grand now

WELL DONE GROVES!

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Mcdonnell and Degale needed this Empty Re: Mcdonnell and Degale needed this

Post by Fists of Fury Sun 22 May 2011, 3:56 pm

Amen, McDonnell is an uncouth little twerp.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 22 May 2011, 4:00 pm

so funny that they lost the bet too haha, groves if he wanted could make a massive song and dance about that. I think it saved the card i know they both have a lot to learn but was very intriging, Degale needs to learn to throw more jabs against elusive gfighters and for god sake sit on those punches. Groves is a great lad, so pleased he got that big purse and now a very good looking future and a rematch potentially worth a few hundred grand down the line with degale if he wants it

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Sun 22 May 2011, 4:07 pm

I think Degale needs a new trainer tbh. Mcdonnell in the corner just seemed to panic when things weren't going there way they didn't seem to have a plan B. Just seemed to shout at Degale then think out a suitable plan too win. Mcdonnell should of seen the early signs and realised that things weren't going to go there way. By the time Degale was starting to do well it was too little too late.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 22 May 2011, 4:18 pm

i think mcdonnell failed to realise early that degale needed to double the jab instead of just walking forward and trying to LOOK the boss, not enough because Groves is the better piuncher, needed combos. how did u guys score it?

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 22 May 2011, 4:21 pm

tenth was a great round for Groves.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Sun 22 May 2011, 4:22 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:i think mcdonnell failed to realise early that degale needed to double the jab instead of just walking forward and trying to LOOK the boss, not enough because Groves is the better piuncher, needed combos. how did u guys score it?

I had Degale winning by a round but there were that many close rounds the fight was hard to score.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sun 22 May 2011, 4:35 pm

Where are the arrogant brain dead idiots who thought Degale was gonna blow Groves away early with no basis or reason why?

Can't seem to find any of them on here today.

Also love bitter ole fish eyes, he's soooooo gutted. It's fantastic reading his interviews post fight.

He said he hasnt met one person who thought Groves won.

Ok Frank, you can write an article about it next week sure haha
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 22 May 2011, 4:36 pm

yeah i may of had it even on a rewatch but degale by a round is fair, but it was no robbery, the way degale fought left him open to losing this like that

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 22 May 2011, 4:37 pm

haha dee, if Frank needs to find two people who thin Degale lost he should speak to the judges how do we rate these two at this stage of their careers?

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sun 22 May 2011, 4:46 pm

I do think that Degale has potential and I was worried that he would win, but that was based on George losing the head.

I think Groves will go onto bigger an better things. So far he has shown us he can slug it out, dig deep when the going is roughy and fight superbly on the back foot. His movement was fantastic last night.

Degale has fought nothing but euro trash and C-class British fighters, Smith was a good win but is virtually a sitting duck with no movement.

My thoughts are if Degale had of fought better opposition before Groves, he may of well had more tricks up his sleeve. Groves has had more tests and had the perfect plan.

Degale will now know that not all boxers walk in straight lines.

Hopefully he doesn't moan about it for too long as I expect him too. If he shuts his mouth, gets a new trainer and knuckles down, he will reach the top.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 22 May 2011, 4:50 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Where are the arrogant brain dead idiots who thought Degale was gonna blow Groves away early with no basis or reason why?

Can't seem to find any of them on here today.

Also love bitter ole fish eyes, he's soooooo gutted. It's fantastic reading his interviews post fight.

He said he hasnt met one person who thought Groves won.

Ok Frank, you can write an article about it next week sure haha

ONETWO was kicking up a stink and crying robbery earlier, but he was put in his place a bit. Steven_89 had predicted a quick win for Degale but credit to him he's given Groves full dues. I think most people think the result was so close there can be no complaints.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by ArchBritishchris Sun 22 May 2011, 4:55 pm

DeGale appeared to lose his head for the first few rounds, I noticed a few underhand tricks were starting to creep in, possibly due to frustration. Undoubtedly, he is still a raw fighter with a good deal to learn. At least DeGale managed to find his feet at the half way stage and looked a decent fighter for the remainder of the contest. The ability to dig deep is an asset and perhaps he learned something about matching an opponent with Groves's style. Now he knows what not to do.

Impressive display by Groves, took the fight to his opponent for 12 rounds. He emerged on top in the toughest fight of either of their careers to date. To be honest after the Anderson fight, could see Groves progressing to a certain stage, but he looked to have weaknesses. Haven't seen the official scorecards, but I had Anderson ahead at the time of the stoppage. The stoppage itself appeared a bit sudden, Groves landed about 4 punches and the referee called the fight off. Much improved display against DeGale, obviously the more important fight to him.

Its relatively early doors for both competitors and at this stage difficult to predict future careers. Neither fighter may win another bout and become the next Carl Allens. Still, despite the loss, I reckon DeGale may end up progressing further than Groves. Far from perfect, but i've witnessed more quality overall in DeGale. I like Groves, he clearly possesses alot of heart and commitment. Should be a future world champion.

Last edited by ArchBritishchris on Sun 22 May 2011, 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

ArchBritishchris

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 22 May 2011, 4:57 pm

i predicted degale win and degale CAN beat groves in a rematch, or lose again. Nothing is written in stone witht these two, they both have a lot to learn but for 13 fight pros they are doing well. Degale had def suffered from having refs wave of any fight where he hits an opponent int he past, he should of fought better opposition before Groves, Smith was even stopped prematurely. Groves is maybe more limited ut aware of his faults and works toward them. Degale was completley lost in there at times, and stated he thought as the 'british' champ he would get the nod being more come forward in style. Sorry james, you were both undefeated, hehad the commonwealth. you dont get the backyard treatment, esp when you are so obnoxious. But he can come again, fdrop the big gold medalist intros, drop the i amke this and that more than anyone at this stage of their career and the stoppages when opponents are not even bruised. Well see these two at it again in a couple eyars for a bigger purse hopefully with no more defeats on their records (degales)

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 22 May 2011, 5:00 pm

ArchBritishchris wrote:DeGale appeared to lose his head for the first few rounds, I noticed a few underhand tricks were starting to creep in, possibly due to frustration. Undoubtedly, he is still a raw fighter with a good deal to learn. At least DeGale managed to find his feet at the half way stage and looked a decent fighter for the remainder of the contest. The ability to dig deep is an asset and perhaps he learned something about matching an opponent with Groves's style. Now he knows what not to do.

Impressive display by Groves, took the fight to his opponent for 12 rounds. He emerged on top in the toughest fight of either of their careers to date. To be honest after the Anderson fight, could see Groves progressing to a certain stage, but he looked to have weaknesses. Haven't seen the official scorecards, but I had Anderson ahead at the time of the stoppage. The stoppage itself appeared a bit sudden, Groves landed about 4 punches and the referee called the fight off. Much improved display against DeGale, obviously the more important fight to him.

Its relatively early doors for both competitors and at this stage difficult to predict future careers. Neither fighter may win another bout and become the next Carl Allens. Still, despite the loss, I reckon DeGale may end up progressing further than Groves. Far from perfect, but i've witnessed more quality overall in DeGale. I like Groves, he clearly possesses alot of heart and commitment. Should be a future world champion.

very well written, be interesting to see how far they go, Degale certainly lost the fight int he first 6 rounds and groves kept up enough to squeeze it. Re talent, its funny, because as with Froch who has gone on to be truely world class, we all look at Groves and say 'hmmm he may get beat soon' but if he keeps working to gameplans and throwing those big shots, which at 223 yrs old he has a good dig. He might go far. I hope they both do. Love to see this for Franks coveted WBO in two years time, haha. be grand to see the rematch.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by callan Sun 22 May 2011, 10:45 pm

Groves reminds me a lot of Froch and i think he will go far. Degale needs to change trainers he has a coach who is more keen to big him up than to admit his weak points and work on them. For the coach to join in the mud slinging was a joke.Fair play to Booth for acting mature and doing a very good job.
callan
callan

Back to top Go down

Post by beastfromthesoutheast Sun 22 May 2011, 11:52 pm

I'm pretty sure DeGale will go further with his career than Groves, he's got more natural talent and the promoter. Like Amir Khan, I don't think his boxing brain is that good, can't pick his shots that well and had no answer for Groves' game plan.

What was up with his dirty tactics? The shoulder, elbow, and leading with his head. That big head of his did more damage to Groves' face than his fists.

beastfromthesoutheast

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Mon 23 May 2011, 7:50 am

beastfromthesoutheast wrote:I'm pretty sure DeGale will go further with his career than Groves, he's got more natural talent and the promoter. Like Amir Khan, I don't think his boxing brain is that good, can't pick his shots that well and had no answer for Groves' game plan.

What was up with his dirty tactics? The shoulder, elbow, and leading with his head. That big head of his did more damage to Groves' face than his fists.

This loss for DeGale is probably good for him. He'll now come back stronger,fitter and hopefully not as a arrogant p**** like before. I really hope he learns from this defeat as DeGale has alot of skills and talent and if he uses can become one of the best fighters in the division.

On a matter of who will go further I think they'll both win world belts before a rematch so until then I really don't know.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by callan Mon 23 May 2011, 10:43 am

Degale needs to change trainers. When he was confronted with an opponenet who did not fight in straight lines his answer was mainly single shots until later rounds. Still very amateur like in his boxing. I think things are to comfortable with McDonnell at moment. I think he needs to step out of his comfort zone, maybe the route Khan took and going state side would be better for Degale away from all limelight.
callan
callan

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 23 May 2011, 10:45 am

No, we do not need another young British boxing hope going to America, where we will rarely get to see them fight in the UK, or at UK primetime again. A loss doesn't mean you need to up sticks and leave, it means you need to reassess, take a careful look at yourself and address the flaws. He will be quite fine by doing this whilst staying in the UK. No need for a knee jerk reaction to a close decision loss against another promising fighter.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Mon 23 May 2011, 11:08 am

Anyone else think this kind of tear up was too early for either fighter? People often mention 'wars' taking years off a fighters career. This is what struck me during Groves' interview. he looked in a lot of pain.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 23 May 2011, 11:16 am

I think they'll be ok from this one Sean, not too many concussive blows taken by either man, but they certainly shouldn't rematch for a while, a couple more of these and then we could be looking at such a situation, yes.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by callan Mon 23 May 2011, 11:36 am

Fists of Fury wrote:No, we do not need another young British boxing hope going to America, where we will rarely get to see them fight in the UK, or at UK primetime again. A loss doesn't mean you need to up sticks and leave, it means you need to reassess, take a careful look at yourself and address the flaws. He will be quite fine by doing this whilst staying in the UK. No need for a knee jerk reaction to a close decision loss against another promising fighter.

I agree not what i would want but at the end of the day Degale has to think of his own career first. Fact was the corner on the night did not have a plan B and for a coaching team to not plan for that is very very poor. Now either McDonell himself was slack in this approach and jumped onto the Degale easy win bandwagon or its purely down to Degales mind set. Maybe a move to states is not needed but fact remains Degale is going to brood over a hatred which stems from him losing his tag as top dog,queen bee in the gym as an amateur. He lets this play on his mind his career will not go far no matter how much talent. Degale does need to get away from all back slappers simple as and Warren even stated that on TV other night. To many people getting up Degales backside and not enough saying this is what you need to work on.
callan
callan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 23 May 2011, 11:58 am

I probably didn't help Degale when his "puppet" was telling him he was going to be the best British fighter ever to have lived. Silly comment after 10 fights.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon 23 May 2011, 12:06 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:No, we do not need another young British boxing hope going to America, where we will rarely get to see them fight in the UK, or at UK primetime again. A loss doesn't mean you need to up sticks and leave, it means you need to reassess, take a careful look at yourself and address the flaws. He will be quite fine by doing this whilst staying in the UK. No need for a knee jerk reaction to a close decision loss against another promising fighter.

Like people in the UK care for him. Everybody wants him to lose and he has been booed infront of many crowd including his debut, Olympic moment and biggest fight of his career to date. Why should he feel like he owes us. We have jumped on his back and gave him no support despite him representing our country for the Olympics. Fine, he's big headed, load mouthed and "stupid" but that's what makes him watchable and makes it interesting.

He was one of our best prospects and most people hate him. Does remind me of khan. Khan wasn't the most popular of blokes. Now, he has had success and we are paying for not giving him the British backing.

In degales best interest, stateside would be his best option. Warren got roach for khan after his loss which he could do again. Degale would drastically improve under roach and giving bar cleverly,groves and froch all he big fights at SMW and LHW are in America/Canada.

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 23 May 2011, 12:10 pm

Have to say if Degale could manage to show even a crumb of humility, wit, grace, class of charisma in his utterances to the press he may find people warming to him a little bit. Whilst we love to believe the public in the UK love to hate those who are successful more often than not you tend to reap what you sow and personally whilst I wish him well in his career have always found Degale to be a charmless moob whenever I've seen him interviewed and almost impossible to warm to.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 23 May 2011, 12:11 pm

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:

Like people in the UK care for him. Everybody wants him to lose and he has been booed infront of many crowd including his debut, Olympic moment and biggest fight of his career to date. Why should he feel like he owes us. We have jumped on his back and gave him no support despite him representing our country for the Olympics. Fine, he's big headed, load mouthed and "stupid" but that's what makes him watchable and makes it interesting.

He was one of our best prospects and most people hate him. Does remind me of khan. Khan wasn't the most popular of blokes. Now, he has had success and we are paying for not giving him the British backing.

In degales best interest, stateside would be his best option. Warren got roach for khan after his loss which he could do again. Degale would drastically improve under roach and giving bar cleverly,groves and froch all he big fights at SMW and LHW are in America/Canada.

I can do without Khan to be honest, I find him boring and arrogant. I still only tune in to watch him with the hope he will be KO'd. I hope Degale does leave and live in America. He is a poisonous little toad who could do with being a little fish in a big pond.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 23 May 2011, 12:11 pm

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:

I think that's a bit extreme. Not sure it is hate, think it is more of a Floyd Mayweather type situation, whereby he plays the pantomine villain and attracts people to watch his fights because of it. Many of those may be tuning in to hopefully see him lose, but as far as he is concerned that can only be a good thing, as it equals more £££. We all appreciate that he is an extremely gifted fighter, with the potential to do special things in his career, and lets face it we are all going to watch his fights, so I think you are slightly off the mark there.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Mon 23 May 2011, 12:22 pm

--------
DeGale does not need Roach. Roach trains fighters to fight aggressively, punching through with every shot and not giving that much regard for defence. Degale is not a natural puncher, his strengths are his technical skill, quick hands, evasiveness and ability to fight on the back foot. Roach's style of training wouldn't suit him. If anything he'd be better suited doing a bit with one of the mayweather brothers.

What I would agree with is a change of scenery may benefit him. You don't benefit by having people blowing smoke up your backside 24/7. McDonnell may be a good fitness coach but he seemed severely lacking in boxing nouse during Saturday's fight. He's also a first class tool, has the mentality of a petulant youngster in a 50 year olds body, kissing JDG's backside and goading Adam Booth like some sort of teenage cheerleader, that's not what you need from a boxing coach.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down