The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Farewell

+14
pedro
hogie
MustPuttBetter
lorus59
JAS
incontinentia
kwinigolfer
Bob_the_Job
navyblueshorts
Diggers
gaelgowfer
super_realist
Davie
dewsweeper
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Farewell Empty Farewell

Post by dewsweeper Mon 21 Jul 2014, 8:07 pm

I have not visited this forum for a long time and now I realise why.
The negativity of the same old suspects still hangs large.
I have always tried,without success at times,to see both sides in any discussion,this does not seem to be the case on this forum.
I will miss reading Kwini's posts,possibly the best contributor on any forum I delve into,but in the main this forum is full of bile and prejudice.
'None so blind as those who will not see'
Adios,
Dewsweeper

dewsweeper

Back to top Go down

Farewell Empty Re: Farewell

Post by Davie Mon 21 Jul 2014, 8:32 pm

Bye Dewi - we'll miss your 20 odd posts in 3.5 years.

Best advice I EVER heard on internet forums was "enjoy what you like, ignore the rest, and if you can't live with that, don't even think of announcing your departure"

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 21 Jul 2014, 8:49 pm

Forums need light and shade in order to prosper.

The golf section on this forum is amongst the best because it allows the posters to be a bit more "opinionated" than some of the others.

Can you imagine how boring and drab it would be if people all had the same opinion and were unerringly positive all the time.

It's a shame you feel the need you have to leave, as Davie said, you don't have to get involved if you don't want to, and I do feel that there is no real animosity between any posters, it's all good humoured and good natured.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Tue 22 Jul 2014, 9:23 am

...it's all good humoured and good natured.

Rolling Eyes

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 22 Jul 2014, 9:45 am

Davie wrote:Bye Dewi - we'll miss your 20 odd posts in 3.5 years.

Best advice I EVER heard on internet forums was "enjoy what you like, ignore the rest, and if you can't live with that, don't even think of announcing your departure"

Best advice I EVER heard on internet forums was NEVER write a word in caps to accentuate your point.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 22 Jul 2014, 10:41 am

Diggers wrote:
Best advice I EVER heard on internet forums was NEVER write a word in caps to accentuate your point.

clap 

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 22 Jul 2014, 10:59 am

dewsweeper wrote:I have not visited this forum for a long time and now I realise why.
The negativity of the same old suspects still hangs large.
I have always tried,without success at times,to see both sides in any discussion,this does not seem to be the case on this forum.
I will miss reading Kwini's posts,possibly the best contributor on any forum I delve into,but in the main this forum is full of bile and prejudice.
'None so blind as those who will not see'
Adios,
Dewsweeper
 Headscratch If you like Kwini's posts, why on Earth would you cut yourself off from that? If you don't want to post, don't, but it seems a bit peculiar not to read the regular articles you like.

In addition, this forum is not "full of bile and prejudice". Talk about over-exaggeration. Some remarks go beyond the pale and some personalities are more forceful than others but that's the way it goes. Generally, this is pretty polite cf. many other fora I've seen.

Still, all the best.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Tue 22 Jul 2014, 12:23 pm

See?! This is why we can't have nice things!

Really? It's a forum for voicing opinions and by human nature and almost by definition, there will be debate, arguments, misunderstandings, hissy fits, dogma and pretentious drivel - think of it as Newsnight with less Paxman. One man's bile and prejudice is another man's enthusiasm and conviction.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 22 Jul 2014, 12:54 pm

All I would say, and thanks to dewi for your kind comments, is that any good new subject post should be in some way provacative.

When the "discussion" provoked becomes mean-spirited a very fine line gets crossed.
The very few outside blogs/comment boards that I read contain stuff that's downright nasty and incredibly ignorant, just look at the drivel on the BBC, and I thank our mods for keeping that in check here.

Actually feel we all lose something when a poster leaves, so sorry to see you go dewi, but please keep on reading.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 22 Jul 2014, 1:24 pm

I frequent a few different forums and this is by far the most civilised. Dewsweeper if you think this place is bad I urge you never to look at youtube comments.

Stay on and post more, and use the ignore feature if you don't like someone! heart 
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 22 Jul 2014, 1:49 pm

I've only been banned once, so it can't be that bad. Laugh

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 22 Jul 2014, 2:44 pm

Dare I ask what was the straw that broke the camels back Dewy?

I dont post as much as some but I do read most of it and looking back through the last few days I don't see anything leave-worthy, I'd go as far as to say it's not quite as...um.. "colourful" here as it used to be. However each to their own I suppose.

I still say what we lack is that we don't really make an effort as a whole to arrange 606 meet ups so we all still tend to be quite anonymous. In saying that I have actually met a few and would count D4S who I originally met through 606 to be a personal friend, Everyone else I've met (Puligny, Plunky, Noshankingtonite, Doon the Water) have all been enjoyable company. I'm quite sure Super, Mac , Navy, Diggers, George, BtJ, Incon, Kwini, Shotrock, Gael, Davie (who I know on FB now as well) et all would be equally enjoyable company too.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Tue 22 Jul 2014, 3:40 pm

I have always found the golf section of 606v2 to be very entertaining at times. Having been on here for a few years, you can almost predict how certain people will react to any given topic. It can even be educational. Announcing that you are leaving does seem to be a tad melodramatic.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 22 Jul 2014, 3:42 pm

I can understand someone being bored by the repetition of the debates on here, that's what gets me. But it's not remotely toxic bar the odd barbed post.
Let's face it though it's like when you see your real mates, we have a few jars and bang on about the same stuff. Or maybe that's just me....

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 22 Jul 2014, 3:53 pm

It's actually the posters I have had most "needle" with that I think I'd most like to meet..........

.......besides Gael Run

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 22 Jul 2014, 3:55 pm

JAS is right - meetups would be great. I did meetups from the old USENET newsgroup uk.sport.golf for 10 years until it died a death .. Including meeting a few of the group's more prickly characters and they all (almost) all turned out to be great people

And of course there was a mini-meet last week from the "other forum" with Grumps and BlueCoverman :-)

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Tue 22 Jul 2014, 4:00 pm

super_realist wrote:It's actually the posters I have had most "needle" with that I think I'd most like to meet..........

.......besides Gael Run

I have a sneaking suspicion that if you met Gael in person it would end in tears...and nobody likes to see a grown man cry. Whistle 
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 22 Jul 2014, 4:05 pm

Well I've a summer off and am going to attempt to swing a club again this weekend. If there is anyone in the south east (of England) who fancies the opportunity to feel very good about their golf game by playing me I'll happily oblige.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue 22 Jul 2014, 6:18 pm

I'd be up for a meet up. Quite a few of you lot are not a million miles from me
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 22 Jul 2014, 7:16 pm

I was in Woking at the weekend for a wedding MPB. De Vere hotel, hit a kerb on the way home the next morning and got a flat, discovered Tourans don't carry a spare do am now familiar with the huge industrial estate on the outskirts ! Mrs D was not a happy bunny, I was just quite pleased to be away from the kids for a bit longer.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue 22 Jul 2014, 7:48 pm

Ha ha, Gorse Hill?
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 22 Jul 2014, 7:50 pm

Gorse and Hill - two words to strike fear into many a golfer :P

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 22 Jul 2014, 9:11 pm

Yep. I'm not feeling much Woking love.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 23 Jul 2014, 9:38 am

Diggers wrote:Well I've a summer off and am going to attempt to swing a club again this weekend. If there is anyone in the south east (of England) who fancies the opportunity to feel very good about their golf game by playing me I'll happily oblige.
But I thought teachers worked all through their 6 weeks away from school over the Summer? Whistle Headscratch
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 23 Jul 2014, 9:57 am

I've not even started my course and I've got 3 essays to do before induction week Navy. Plus about 3 course books to read, its going to be pretty full on I think. Will make up for my 3 years at uni where I did basically nothing.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 23 Jul 2014, 10:02 am

Diggers wrote:I've not even started my course and I've got 3 essays to do before induction week Navy. Plus about 3 course books to read, its going to be pretty full on I think. Will make up for my 3 years at uni where I did basically nothing.
Cool. Enjoy!
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by hogie Wed 23 Jul 2014, 5:49 pm

super_realist wrote:Forums need light and shade in order to prosper.

Light and shade are one thing, but your many racist attacks against all things Irish really do drive me nuts. Probably the reason I only pop in every now and then as opposed to every day like I used to.  Any time an interesting thread starts about any of the Irish lads you will inevitably turn up with you “tatty muncher” and “Oirish” comments.   I really wish I could just ignore them but I can’t.

hogie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 23 Jul 2014, 6:40 pm

hogie wrote:
super_realist wrote:Forums need light and shade in order to prosper.

Light and shade are one thing, but your many racist attacks against all things Irish really do drive me nuts. Probably the reason I only pop in every now and then as opposed to every day like I used to.  Any time an interesting thread starts about any of the Irish lads you will inevitably turn up with you “tatty muncher” and “Oirish” comments.   I really wish I could just ignore them but I can’t.

Top O' The Morning Hogie guinness 

How many times do you have to be told that there is no such thing as the Irish "race"? So if they aren't a race, and they aren't, how can you be racist about them? There isn't an Estonian race, a Hungarian race or an Andorran race, so let's not pretend for the sake of calling anyone "racist" that there's an Irish one, because there isn't.

Even if there was, you could hardly call the two terms you mentioned as being "racist abuse" I haven't said the "TM" word for an age, and "oirish" is about as offensive as describing an American as a 'murcan. Hardly the crime of the century. So if that's the sum of your complaints, you really don't have much to be upset about.

Just how seriously can you take yourself and your nationality? How insecure are you that you can't take a bit of ridicule/cajoling/banter, and how sad is it that you have synthetic outrage from something someone has written on a bloody forum.

Inco has the right idea about the whole thing, and can even laugh at his own nationality, why are you so serious?

ps, I was even nice about "yer man there" Shane Lowry this week and I didn't mention "luck of the Irish" once, miss that did you? Leprechaun

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 23 Jul 2014, 9:14 pm

Hogie, lighten up. It's like amen in the church - you know it's coming. Just like the yank bashing we all buy into come RC.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 24 Jul 2014, 8:51 am

hogie- its a shame the Irish bashing has made you stay away. I have learned to deal with it. Also the idea that a haggis-swilling skirt wearer of the highlands would poke fun at the Irish is ridiculous, and immediately negates any possible offence.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu 24 Jul 2014, 9:12 am

Offence? Isn't that what's round my garden?

drumroll 

Sorry.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 24 Jul 2014, 9:18 am

incontinentia wrote:hogie- its a shame the Irish bashing has made you stay away. I have learned to deal with it. Also the idea that a haggis-swilling skirt wearer of the highlands would poke fun at the Irish is ridiculous, and immediately negates any possible offence.

Racist.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 24 Jul 2014, 9:22 am

I wouldn't worry Hogie. When the Yes vote wins not only will Super be merely Scottish, he'll be a Scotsman living in Aberdeen!
You can't really get a lot lower down the food chain than that Wink

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 24 Jul 2014, 9:24 am

Diggers wrote:I wouldn't worry Hogie. When the Yes vote wins not only will Super be merely Scottish, he'll be a Scotsman living in Aberdeen!
You can't really get a lot lower down the food chain than that Wink

Or the city with the second highest salaries after London.

Either way, I'll be moving if that fat, sweaty, heart attack in waiting Salmond wins the vote. Looks like a no though.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 24 Jul 2014, 9:28 am

Biggest salaries in Australia are in the mining towns, doesn't mean you'd want to live there though.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 24 Jul 2014, 9:29 am

Aberdeen's not too bad Diggers, better than living in London.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 24 Jul 2014, 9:36 am

Sure...if you like living amongst parochial sheep shaggers that is.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 24 Jul 2014, 9:39 am

Super how do you go golfing in that get-up?
Farewell Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRg844ZyRqGPvYI1MXwE1ltbzt34lxt35MVrhNzWmU5qV2QVrKGvCi8OOo
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 24 Jul 2014, 9:41 am

Did anyone see the Commonwealth games opening? I couldn't bear to watch.
Just how Scottish can you try to be?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 24 Jul 2014, 10:15 am

The start was pretty poor, it's not really fair but you couldn't help compare it to London 2012 and it was like the local amateur dramatics compared to a full Broadway production. I always like watching the teams match in though.
Flying up on Tuesday for two days of athletics. Can't wait.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 24 Jul 2014, 11:03 am

The pleas for donations were cringeable in the extreme if you ask me, even if they're in a good cause. Salmond was surprisingly bad for someone who's generally an excellent orator.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 24 Jul 2014, 11:10 am

Colin Jacksons was so bad, he really is appalling on TV. Someone should have mentioned best not to grin like a maniac when you lead into a piece about premature babies!
Couldn't work out why Keeley Hawes got a gig, English actress who was never that famous at her peak 5 years ago? Still pretty fit though.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Thu 24 Jul 2014, 11:48 am

I thought it was really good. Scotland not tying to take itself too seriously, the perfect start to the friendly games. And much more understandable than the ridiculously overblown London 2012 thing with the gor blomey guvnor chimneysweeps.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 24 Jul 2014, 12:01 pm

These Games need to be a success to keep the CG idea alive. Delhi was a disaster, I think Glasgow will do a great job, ticket sales are really good. Just hope we get some decent weather.
See Salmond gets stick in the press for using the Games to promote the yes vote, but its apparently fine for Queenie to deliver a pretty obvious message on behalf of the no vote.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 24 Jul 2014, 12:26 pm

Salmond is scum.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 24 Jul 2014, 12:45 pm

Having watched all the debate down here, seen both sides of the argument, if I was Scottish Im pretty sure Id vote yes.
I rate Salmond way above most politicians, forgetting whether you like him or his policies, he's good at what he does. Id take him over Cameron, or indeed any of the party leaders, any day.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 24 Jul 2014, 12:55 pm

His policies aren't clever diggers, certainly not from an Oil side, whilst on others, he makes pathetic soundbites and assertions.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 24 Jul 2014, 12:58 pm

Well that's your view, you are hardly impartial and plenty disagree. The Tory policy's aren't exactly that smart from where I'm sitting.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Thu 24 Jul 2014, 12:58 pm

Err, we're stuck with Salmond for now whether there is a yes or a no vote...
The referendum should be more than a just a personality contest.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 24 Jul 2014, 1:02 pm

More that I don't see Independence as being better, the SNP seem to make an assumption it will be despite having nothing to back that up.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next