The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who will be the next new slam champion?

5 posters

Go down

Who will be the next new slam champion? Empty Who will be the next new slam champion?

Post by socal1976 Thu 18 Sep 2014, 6:11 am

This thread has been done before. I wanted to find the old thread but did not have the patience to search for it through all these pages of thread topics it would be interesting if someone did to see what predictions were made at the time. But since we have had a new grandslam champion this topic again becomes pertinent. There are new contenders to consider, there are old hands that just need the breakthrough. But it is highly interesting at this stage because the chinks in the armor of the top 4 are finally starting to appear. The pack always catches up eventually and now the question becomes who among the pack will be the first to grab his share of grandslam glory?

Dimitrov- Stylish game, big talent, loads of athletic ability. Has to improve his return, which seems to be occuring. Still he is one of the poorer returners among the top of the game. Also has to get fitter and more consistent. But the serve, movement, variety and strokes are all there.

Kei- Got oh so close and if he was to do it he would become the first asian male ever to win a singles slam. Great speed, lots of shotmaking ability off both wings and he has a very good serve for a shorter player. And he has been one of the best returners on tour for a number of years. One issue is that he generally is very up and down over the course of a season or a match because of how flat and aggressive he is from the back of the court. He has a tendency to go out in a blaze of errors. The second serve was weakness but now he is well over 50 percent which is good enough to get him where wants to go.

Berdych- Tomas is losing on the time scale. He has huge shots, moves well for a big man and a monster serve. For a big guy he lacks a great kick serve and the forehand down the line. Also he is a pretty poor player when moving up into the court. For me he lacks that bit of mental toughness and often lets his temper get the better of him in big match situations. Still he has to be one of the top contenders with how well he hits and his ability to move for a big man. He has a couple of grandslam finals so he understands what it takes.

Tsonga- another old hand who is running out of time. Big serve, huge forehand, and another good mover for his size. Plus he can get up into net and has deft touch when he gets there. Not the fittest guy on tour, another inconsistent player who can make any shot and also miss any shot. His return of serve and his backhand are his technical weaknesses. But you have to think that he could do some damage at wimby or one of the hardcourt slams.

Raonic-he is not as bad an athlete and all around player as some assume. He is not just a huge serve and a huge forehand. He is pretty good at net, moves pretty well for a big guy as well. Like many of the others though his backhand and return are big weaknesses. His best bet would seem to be wimby or the USO.

Who do you think will do it and why?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Who will be the next new slam champion? Empty Re: Who will be the next new slam champion?

Post by HM Murdock Thu 18 Sep 2014, 9:08 am

Kei looks like the best bet to me (assuming he can stay fit).

I'd say he is probably less dependent on getting the right draw and the right surface than Dimitrov or Raonic.

I see a touch of Djokovic about him in the way that, although perhaps lacking a devastating weapon, he doesn't have a glaring weakness either. A well-balanced game attached to good movement will always be in with a chance.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Who will be the next new slam champion? Empty Re: Who will be the next new slam champion?

Post by Born Slippy Thu 18 Sep 2014, 9:39 am

I can't see it being another of the old guard. Have to feel their chance has now passed.

Of the youngsters, Kei is the obvious call but I do still wonder if he can stay fit and his serve is still such a relative weakness at the highest level.

I fear it will be Raonic as he has been steadily improving. His serve is just devastating and I could see him winning Wimbledon on the back of that alone.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu 18 Sep 2014, 10:00 am

I still think Nalbandian could've walked the USO if he wasn't retired. All the stars point to Kyrgios breaking the boring top 4 which then means Fedal lose their fanbase and jump on his wagon.

Tsonga past his best
Berdych too soft
Kei too humble
Raonic can't grind
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Thu 18 Sep 2014, 11:23 am

If he gets Lendl... Berdych, he'll sort out that bird brain of his

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down