The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do boxers disregard opinions?

+6
catchweight
kingraf
ONETWOFOREVER
jimdig
Dipper Brown
3fingers
10 posters

Go down

Do boxers disregard opinions? Empty Do boxers disregard opinions?

Post by 3fingers Thu 23 Oct 2014, 9:41 pm

Do boxers disregard the opinions of those who haven't fought? This interview given by Haye would seem to indicate they do.

I know there are a lot of psychoanalysts on V2, therefore, watch the first 2 minutes of the video then tell me, as soon as the interviewer says "In my opinion", does Hayes body language scream "WHAT THE F#CK DO YOU KNOW!?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63yWiLO3rNo

Do boxers in general think this? Is it just Haye? Or is it just sports people in general when they speak to the public?

For instance if Alex Ferguson was talking football strategy with John Motson would he think STFUYDKSAF (shut the f#ck up, you dont know shiiiiit about football)?

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Do boxers disregard opinions? Empty Re: Do boxers disregard opinions?

Post by Dipper Brown Fri 24 Oct 2014, 7:56 am

People in any industry are suspicious of armchair critics. I think Haye would have every right to disregard the opinion of someone who's never boxed.

If you haven't done something first hand you're only really qualified to identify good or bad practice. I've never laced up and although I've seen enough to think 'he should do that there, he shouldn't do that', having not been in the position where I've had to make those decisions while being punched in the face, I wouldn't expect a boxer to take my opinion seriously.

Similarly, if David Haye observed one of my lessons, I'd accept 'that was a good lesson/bad lesson', if he lectured me on use of literacy or differentiation between mixed ability learners, I'd probably laugh in his face.

That's not to say, you have to have done something to have an opinion on it. Just don't expect people who are in the industry to value your opinion as much as someone who's been there and done it.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Fri 24 Oct 2014, 8:00 am

Ferguson wouldn't, Ferguson is probably still kicking himself for giving his job to moyes over mourino. 

Thing with football is that everyone has played football. Not everyone has boxed. Average boxers make great trainers, average football players make great trainers. I don't think someone that has never boxed could become a credible trainer, how would they teach the basics? But that doesn't mean that someone who has never boxed can't have any insight on the sport. I hate the "what would you know attitude".

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri 24 Oct 2014, 8:37 am

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Any of the Chelsea football team can turn around to Mouriniho after getting a dressing down and say, YDKSAF, because Jose never played top level pro football his career ended very early......but his achievements suggests he knows a hell of a lot.

Haye may feel this way and he has a right to do so.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 24 Oct 2014, 8:42 am

The difference is of course, Mourinho has managed his way to two Champions league titles, seven league titles spanning four countries, four different nations equivalent of the FA Cup... Who have you successfully managed as a boxer?

At best, fans are just armchair critics who majored in hindsight. No need to disrespect us, yes, but don't for a minute think our collective opinion is worth a damn to a fighter, nor should it be.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Fri 24 Oct 2014, 8:54 am

In MY opinion, it looked more like Haye just wasnt in the mood to be hanging about being interviewed in some carpark. There were lots of celebs inside to schmooze with. I thought he just looked impatient to get going.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 24 Oct 2014, 9:23 am

Paul Smith is notorious for telling fans they don't know sh1t.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 24 Oct 2014, 10:12 am

Of course boxers disregard opinions, Audley hasn't retired, Floyd hasn't fought Manny and Tyson Fury hasn't jumped off a f*cking cliff.

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Fri 24 Oct 2014, 10:46 am

But although Mourinho didn't play top level football, he was good enough to be paid to play and had played at a decent level since being a kid. Not many boxing fans have this sort of history and insight of their favourite sport.
But hey, i still have an opinion but obviously know not to approach Froch and tell him how he can improve and to be taken seriously.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 24 Oct 2014, 11:01 am

Ahh mackem's favourite subject! Two ways of looking at it for me:

1. You only have to listen to ex sportsmen commentate to realise how little insight most of them can add. A lot of these guys aren't the brightest buttons, they're usually excellent physical specimens with varying degrees of talent who've been coached to do something. Doesn't mean they can always objectively apply that coaching and certainly doesn't mean they can elucidate it. Usually they come out with the same platitudes and cliches as everyone else. There are exceptions and moments of insight, but let's be honest they're the exception. There are fans who've watched way more boxing than many fighters, and its possible to pick up plenty of relevant knowledge and experience.

2. The flipside, is that there's a respect between sportsmen on the basis of a shared understanding of what it's like to actually do the sport. Its understandable why a boxer would have more empathy with the view of another who understands the techniques they've been taught and knows the pain they've been through, than an armchair fan who's never laced up.

In terms of level of experience required to be a trainer? In business the best salesmen are rarely the best sales managers, it's a different skillset to get the best out of others, but experience of  the challenges they face is obviously really important.

Most successful trainers in sport are ex players who weren't that good, who knew what they should be doing but couldn't do it that well themselves... Or just had an appetite to learn/teach. Coaching/managing suits a more selfless less driven personality than that of a typical top sportsman. But then for every manny steward there's the odd buddy McGirt, and those who never boxed like Virgil hunter.

Whether boxers disregard the opinion of those that haven't fought? I guess that's just down to the individual.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Fri 24 Oct 2014, 11:54 am

Great thoughts Milky. I'm racking my brain for reasons Great Boxers don't go into coaching now. A couple of reasons come to mind..

1) They are accustomed to being the star thus they don't want to take a back seat to an emerging star.

2) The money is not quite what they are used too; they can probably earn the same amount for public appearences (being paid to talk about yourself)

3) They have become disalutioned with the fight game; they've earnt their money, and now they want out.

And quickly..

Some reasons why those who weren't Great become good coaches..

1) They lacked the discipline and determination to make the sacrifices required to succeed (training at stupid times, dieting, refraining from 'youthliness' etc). Therefore, failing at the final hurdle, and being aware of their shortfalls, will allow them to pass on the lessons learned through age and experience.

2) Injury may have cut their career short, unfairly. Thus, they are aware of the importance of taking care of your body, again, another valuable lesson.

3) They may have an innate desire to help others to fullfill their potential, or give back to their community, and have the interpersonal skills to do such a thing.

Expanding on your final point...I think in life, in general, whether somone disregards a persons opinion is an individual choice most likely down to..

1) ignorance
2) disregarding is sometimes easier (for some) than admitting they are wrong
3) personal gain or to give themselves credance
4) general dislike

oh..

..or they were p"ssed Wink

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 24 Oct 2014, 12:10 pm

Whenever someone criticizes an opinion of mine, saying I've never done it so can't possibly be entitled to an opinion, I often reply, "I've never stuck my head in a deep fat fryer but I know enough about them to know not to do it"

Other times, I'll just stick with "F*ck off you arrogant c*nt!"

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Fri 24 Oct 2014, 12:27 pm

But does it really matter if our opinion is disregarded by a proboxer?
I am a boxing fan and enjoy reading other peoples opinions on boxing related matters on sites such as this. The fact that certain boxers haven't made adjustments based on my opinions doesn't surprise, or bother me.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 24 Oct 2014, 12:47 pm

aja424 wrote:But does it really matter if our opinion is disregarded by a proboxer?
I am a boxing fan and enjoy reading other peoples opinions on boxing related matters on sites such as this. The fact that certain boxers haven't made adjustments based on my opinions doesn't surprise, or bother me.
How DARE you call yourself a boxing fan? It's your duty help these idiots boxers improve

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Fri 24 Oct 2014, 12:56 pm

Its their loss mate.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 24 Oct 2014, 1:32 pm

3fingers wrote:Great thoughts Milky. I'm racking my brain for reasons Great Boxers don't go into coaching now. A couple of reasons come to mind..

1) They are accustomed to being the star thus they don't want to take a back seat to an emerging star.

2) The money is not quite what they are used too; they can probably earn the same amount for public appearences (being paid to talk about yourself)

3) They have become disalutioned with the fight game; they've earnt their money, and now they want out.

And quickly..

Some reasons why those who weren't Great become good coaches..

1) They lacked the discipline and determination to make the sacrifices required to succeed (training at stupid times, dieting, refraining from 'youthliness' etc). Therefore, failing at the final hurdle, and being aware of their shortfalls, will allow them to pass on the lessons learned through age and experience.

2) Injury may have cut their career short, unfairly. Thus, they are aware of the importance of taking care of your body, again, another valuable lesson.

3) They may have an innate desire to help others to fullfill their potential, or give back to their community, and have the interpersonal skills to do such a thing.

Expanding on your final point...I think in life, in general, whether somone disregards a persons opinion is an individual choice most likely down to..

1) ignorance
2) disregarding is sometimes easier (for some) than admitting they are wrong
3) personal gain or to give themselves credance
4) general dislike

oh..

..or they were p"ssed Wink

Probably all true fingers. You get a few half hearted attempts like lewis training price. You get the impression he kind of wants to give something back, but has millions in the bank and can't really be arsed!

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 24 Oct 2014, 1:33 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Whenever someone criticizes an opinion of mine, saying I've never done it so can't possibly be entitled to an opinion, I often reply, "I've never stuck my head in a deep fat fryer but I know enough about them to know not to do it"

People criticise your opinions Dave? Surely not. Some misguided souls out there.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 24 Oct 2014, 1:54 pm

milkyboy wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:Whenever someone criticizes an opinion of mine, saying I've never done it so can't possibly be entitled to an opinion, I often reply, "I've never stuck my head in a deep fat fryer but I know enough about them to know not to do it"

People criticise your opinions Dave? Surely not. Some misguided souls out there.
Fear not Milky, they only ever do it once (not because they've been put straight, I just ignore them from then on in!)

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Fri 24 Oct 2014, 2:05 pm

Made me laugh

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by erudito Fri 24 Oct 2014, 2:27 pm

As with football I think sometimes great boxers, like great footballers, can struggle to become great coaches because their new charges find it hard to do certain technical things which comes easy/naturally to them. I'm thinking of people like Hoddle, Pele etc. and it would be interesting to see if someone like Mayweather could transfer his skills to coaching.

erudito

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 24 Oct 2014, 2:47 pm

Fair point... You can imagine herol graham or nicolino locche training:

'Ok, let's try it... What you do is put your hands behind your back and stick your chin out... Then when he throws the punch, duck... Let's go.... Oh.... Smelling salts please someone'

Or Ali.

'Listen son, when you fight a really, really  big puncher, just sit on the ropes and let him hit you until he's so tired he can't hit you any more. Then knock him out. You got that kid?'

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 24 Oct 2014, 3:00 pm

Nigel Benn..."just go out there and smash the granny out of him."

Audley..."just let him hit you, lulling him into a false sense of security before we let our game plan take over in the second half of the fight"

Michael Gomez..."give it what you can for four rounds cos after that, you'll be blowing out your ar$e"

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 24 Oct 2014, 3:06 pm

Ha, I had nigel benn in 'have a tear up son' and audley in a 'get him dancing to your tune' but thought I'd leave some in the bank. Sad twisted minds think alike and all that!

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by erudito Fri 24 Oct 2014, 3:12 pm

I would love to be a fly on the wall to witness Oliver McCall training Audley on how to take a punch

erudito

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down