The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tony Bellew - why is he so unpopular????? (by Truss!)

+12
Pedro147
Rodney
Strongback
wheelchair1991
TRUSSMAN66
RanjitPatel
shenglong2015
Dipper Brown
Coxy001
Steffan
ONETWOFOREVER
88Chris05
16 posters

Go down

Tony Bellew - why is he so unpopular????? (by Truss!) Empty Tony Bellew - why is he so unpopular????? (by Truss!)

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 02 Jul 2015, 2:49 pm

Afternoon lads, copying and pasting this for the beefster because he can't tell the difference between the boxing and Off-Topic sections!

------------------------------------------------

TRUSSMAN66 Today at 2:30 pm

I like this guy..............Say's what he thinks in a PC age.

Always comes to fight !!!. Went to Stevo's hometown.... Was willing to take Clev 1 at a week's notice..

Looks a decent cruiserweight !!. Anyone who purchased the PPV with a downer on the fight should blame Cleverley who didn't turn up to fight !!.

Big personality in a game that needs them......How many Joshua's could we take ???.....

You know he's always up for a challenge.........and make no mistake is a serious cruiserweight contender in a division that sucks..

Hope he bags an ABC.....and I think he will !!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Tony Bellew - why is he so unpopular????? (by Truss!) Empty Re: Tony Bellew - why is he so unpopular????? (by Truss!)

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 02 Jul 2015, 2:56 pm

Woeful against Stevenson.

A lot of talk but nothing to back it up.

gets destroyed by Hernandez

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Tony Bellew - why is he so unpopular????? (by Truss!) Empty Re: Tony Bellew - why is he so unpopular????? (by Truss!)

Post by Steffan Thu 02 Jul 2015, 3:27 pm

I agree that Bellew should not be so unpopular. Not a lot of people know this as he keeps it under wraps but he has a wife and three kids and he fights to feed them

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Thu 02 Jul 2015, 3:31 pm

Steffan wrote:I agree that Bellew should not be so unpopular. Not a lot of people know this as he keeps it under wraps but he has a wife and three kids and he fights to feed them

Strictly speaking he's also now an actor and pundit.

I quite like Bellew, apart from that accent that makes me want to pour hot superglue in my ears. Certainly enjoyed him smacking Cleverly around. He comes across as a bit of a dimwit before fights, but he's got a bit more about him than someone like a Quigg, Frampton, Brook etc.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Thu 02 Jul 2015, 3:36 pm

Liked Bellew up until the second fight with Clev, came across like a complete and utter tool in the build-up in my opinion.

Don't think he's the worst fella but can't be impartial when talking about friends of his and this impacts his ability as a pundit at times.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Thu 02 Jul 2015, 3:47 pm

Coxy001 wrote:
Steffan wrote:I agree that Bellew should not be so unpopular. Not a lot of people know this as he keeps it under wraps but he has a wife and three kids and he fights to feed them

I quite like Bellew, apart from that accent that makes me want to pour hot superglue in my ears. Certainly enjoyed him smacking Cleverly around. He comes across as a bit of a dimwit before fights, but he's got a bit more about him than someone like a Quigg, Frampton, Brook etc.

When did that happen?! Hardly landed a punch in the second fight. Which in fairness is better than Cleverly who barely threw a punch. Still, let's not revise history and say it was some kind of beating. More like two kids from the crayon class fighting for the black marker pen.

I think the main criticism is the fact he doesn't back up his talk. Portrays himself as this down to earth, no nonsense man of the people and a realist but half the time his head's in the clouds.

Basically just contradicts himself all the time flipping between 'I love fighting' (fight then) and 'I only fight to feed my three kids'.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2015 Thu 02 Jul 2015, 3:47 pm

Its simple, he frustrates the ordinary fan, because he talks a great fight, and if he had the talent he professes to have he would be a superstar, instead what we get is alot of mouthing off followed up by very little action.

I like Bellew, love the way he mixes it with others, and his reactions to his opponents pre-build up, and the way everything winds him up - and I would like nothing more than a ruthless lion like Scar from the Lionking when he gets in the ring, instead we get Garfield from Garfield.

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 02 Jul 2015, 3:52 pm

Dipper Brown wrote:
Coxy001 wrote:

When did that happen?! Hardly landed a punch in the second fight. Which in fairness is better than Cleverly who barely threw a punch. Still, let's not revise history and say it was some kind of beating. More like two kids from the crayon class fighting for the black marker pen.
I thought this myself but then realised it was only Coxy saying it

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 02 Jul 2015, 3:54 pm

shenglong2015 wrote:Its simple, he frustrates the ordinary fan, because he talks a great fight, and if he had the talent he professes to have he would be a superstar, instead what we get is alot of mouthing off followed up by very little action.

I like Bellew, love the way he mixes it with others, and his reactions to his opponents pre-build up, and the way everything winds him up - and I would like nothing more than a ruthless lion like Scar from the Lionking when he gets in the ring, instead we get Garfield from Garfield.
Shenglong nice to see you back on here. No doubt you will get accused of being me and visa versa as in the past

Bellew talks a good post fight as well. After beating Ovill McKenzie on points he more or less compared it to Ali v Williams

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Thu 02 Jul 2015, 4:01 pm

He's a lively, entertaining guy when he's talking. Doesn't seem to translate it to the ring. Talked as if he hit harder than Shavers and Foster when his power is ok but nothing special.

Self promotion is alright but there's a real spite with him that makes it difficult to warm to him or you can start to like him then he'll say something daft again to change your mind.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 02 Jul 2015, 4:29 pm

Steffan wrote:
shenglong2015 wrote:Its simple, he frustrates the ordinary fan, because he talks a great fight, and if he had the talent he professes to have he would be a superstar, instead what we get is alot of mouthing off followed up by very little action.

Shenglong nice to see you back on here. No doubt you will get accused of being me and visa versa as in the past

He's harder to ignore.....

I think the game plan against Stevo was woeful and probably not his fault......Bit like Quigg when he drew and won the title..

If you're struggling to make weight you don't attempt to last four rounds and then start working.....

Thought Smith's game plan against Ward was all wrong and he shared the same Coach Quigg did...

Gallagher on the Ward fight............"I thought he acquitted himself quite well and it's a shame he got cut as it was bubbling into a good fight!!"

Did anybody see the fight he did ????

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Thu 02 Jul 2015, 5:27 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Steffan wrote:

He's harder to ignore.....

I think the game plan against Stevo was woeful and probably not his fault......Bit like Quigg when he drew and won the title..

If you're struggling to make weight you don't attempt to last four rounds and then start working.....

Thought Smith's game plan against Ward was all wrong and he shared the same Coach Quigg did...

Gallagher on the Ward fight............"I thought he acquitted himself quite well and it's a shame he got cut as it was bubbling into a good fight!!"

Did anybody see the fight he did ????

The way Joe has talked about that fight beggers belief he must think we are all as blind as stevie wonder......as for Bellew Dipper pretty much nailed why i don't like him earlier in this thread. I get the sense hes bittil a bit as his career has not turned out as well as he had thought it would

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 02 Jul 2015, 6:52 pm

Bellew is alright when he is not in fight mode. Once he starts training he's insufferable, comes across as if he's got a screw loose.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 02 Jul 2015, 10:43 pm

Wonder If Eddie will try his luck with a Hernandez-Bellew...stacked card PPV ???

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Fri 03 Jul 2015, 8:59 am

He was exactly the same in the amateurs - he fought a a friend(more of an acquaintance) of mine twice and was giving it the "Big I am" loudmouth antics then. He comes across as a first class be11end in fight mode as mentioned by Strongback, however I've heard through many he's a down to earth lad and has enormous amount of time for fans and is very approachable.

Cheers, Rodders

Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Thu 10 Dec 2015, 6:16 pm

Here's Bellew knocking out actor Michael B Jordan on the set of the new Rocky film. Think he's finally found his level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1xtSbIWuD8#t=14

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 10 Dec 2015, 11:51 pm

I like Bellew a lot comes across great in interviews

Needs to stop talking so much smack when he doesn't back it up

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Fri 11 Dec 2015, 11:45 am

Bellew has everything apart from ability.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by themadworldofjb Fri 11 Dec 2015, 12:19 pm

He acts like hes the best fighter ever when he isnt. I would be surprised if he ever won a world title
themadworldofjb
themadworldofjb

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 11 Dec 2015, 2:30 pm

He's got a really abrasive attitude and acts like a bullhead sometimes. I like him though, he seems to love the sport and has never ducked or shirked anyone else. Don't think he's World level (neither was Clev in my eyes) but he should make a comfortable living and he's sometimes great to watch

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down