The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lions team if picked today

+50
jbeadlesbigrighthand
hugehandoff
No 7&1/2
InjuredYetAgain
robbo277
offload
doctor_grey
gavstar
brennomac
BamBam
Sgt_Pooly
GunsGerms
rodders
Barney McGrew did it
The Great Aukster
little_badger
the-goon
SirJohnnyEnglish
RDW
lostinwales
WELL-PAST-IT
IanBru
HammerofThunor
Notch
Comfort
Luckless Pedestrian
Seagultaf
ScarletSpiderman
wrfc1980
George Carlin
Tattie Scones RRN
mikey_dragon
Cyril
RubyGuby
beshocked
alive555
LordDowlais
fa0019
SimonofSurrey
TJ
Shifty
funnyExiledScot
bedfordwelsh
Geordie
RuggerRadge2611
majesticimperialman
LondonTiger
nathan
R!skysports
54 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

Lions team if picked today - Page 7 Empty Lions team if picked today

Post by R!skysports Tue 20 Oct 2015, 3:45 pm

First topic message reminder :

Updated this to include my team

This should be selected on World Cup form alone. So no injured people who did not play no 6 nations form - there will be a chance to choose then too

1. Dickinson (S)
2. Ford (S)
3. Nel (S)
4. Charteris (W)
5. J. Gray (S)
6. Warburton [c] (W)
7. Hardie (S)
8. Denton (S)

9. Laidlaw (S)
10. Biggar (W)
11. Watson (E)
12. Henshaw (I)
13. Bennett (S)
14. Bowe (I)
15. Brown (E)

16. Best (I)
17. Healy (I)
18. Ross (I)
19. Henderson (I)
20. Lydiate (W)
21. Murray (I)
22. Ford (E)
23. Hogg (S)

Last edited by Riskysports on Wed 21 Oct 2015, 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Lions team if picked today - Page 7 Empty Re: Lions team if picked today

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 03 Nov 2015, 9:13 pm

He would be for me but then I would always pick him, his workrate and defensive duties are huge and by him doing that it allows his No 7 & 8 to concentrate on their game.

That said I have noticed in the last few games and in the Pro12 that a lot of refs seem to be looking at the chop tackle a bit more now and whether the arms were used or not, well some of his tackles could be judged not to.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by CraigS1874 Wed 04 Nov 2015, 10:04 am

interesting to read the sky sports pundits predict the teams they would select http://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/news/12321/10054433/our-rugby-experts-pick-their-british-and-irish-lions-team

All of them have went for alun wyn Jones and north/watson wing combo. The rest is a complete lottery. I like Alan Quinlans centre pairing of henshaw and tuilagi, bare in mind nonu/smith and possibly SBW wont be playing that tour, they could run over any defense.Stuart Barnes has selected a back row with 3 opensides:

6:Warburton
7:Steffon
8:O'brien

I like the idea as they would all carry but the line out would struggle so height would be required in the second row....please don't bring Toner.

CraigS1874

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 04 Nov 2015, 10:06 am

So in that backrow only one of them will be playing in their natural position, well done Barnes - muppett.

Also on current form I wouldn't pick North.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 04 Nov 2015, 10:11 am

Its strange to how Halfpenny seems to have dropped out of the reckoning, it can't be because of injury because others out injured have been picked.

Not say he is am automatic choice but would select him ahead of Hogg and also consider him maybe as a wing option.

bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 04 Nov 2015, 10:14 am

It is going to be an interesting year from 1/2P given that Wales have finally seen that they don't need to rely on him for his kicking - will his all round dependability be enough to keep him in the team?

I'd personally want a more attacking threat from 15 against the ABs - whether that is Williams, Watson, Brown, Hogg or whoever.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 04 Nov 2015, 10:21 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:It is going to be an interesting year from 1/2P given that Wales have finally seen that they don't need to rely on him for his kicking - will his all round dependability be enough to keep him in the team?

I'd personally want a more attacking threat from 15 against the ABs - whether that is Williams, Watson, Brown, Hogg or whoever.

From a Welsh POV if Liam Williams is fit and on form then he would be my XV and let Halfpenny compete with the other wingers in the squad.  That said a guy of his experience and his ability will always be there or there abouts and great to have two world class kickers in the side.

Halfpenny can play the attacking role as we witnessed in the 3rd Lions test last time out, it's just not what's asked of him in the Welsh set up which is annoying.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 04 Nov 2015, 10:43 am

I would agree that if you take kicking out of the equation then Liam Williams is probably the best bet for Wales at 15. Halfpenny would certainly feature strong as an option on the right wing though, probably in competition with Walker and Amos. Cuthbert needs some time away from international rugby.

I think the 15 jersey would be Mike Brown were I selecting purely on form, but I have an inckling that Anthony Watson is the longer term prospect at 15 for England and has vast potential. I'd put Hogg and Williams in the same bucket. Both high calibre attacking players but I'm yet to be convinced that either have the big match temperament needed for a Lions Test.

I think the selection will depend to a certain extent on where NZ go over the next few years. Losing Mealamu, McCaw, Carter, Nonu and Smith leaves a few holes and whilst the replacements all have awesome potential (as always with the ABs), it's going to be interesting watching them adjust.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 04 Nov 2015, 11:24 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:I would agree that if you take kicking out of the equation then Liam Williams is probably the best bet for Wales at 15. Halfpenny would certainly feature strong as an option on the right wing though, probably in competition with Walker and Amos and North. Cuthbert needs some time away from international rugby.

I think the 15 jersey would be Mike Brown were I selecting purely on form, but I have an inckling that Anthony Watson is the longer term prospect at 15 for England and has vast potential. I'd put Hogg and Williams in the same bucket. Both high calibre attacking players but I'm yet to be convinced that either have the big match temperament needed for a Lions Test.

I think the selection will depend to a certain extent on where NZ go over the next few years. Losing Mealamu, McCaw, Carter, Nonu and Smith leaves a few holes and whilst the replacements all have awesome potential (as always with the ABs), it's going to be interesting watching them adjust.

North for me isn't or shouldn't be an automatic choice his form for Wales has been poor as for where the ABs are I guess we can only pick from what we have regardless of how good or bad the Blacks are.

I like Watson a lot as for Hogg and Williams not having the temperament, Brown isn't exactly the calmest person when on the field and can be wound up quite easily I reckon.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 04 Nov 2015, 12:03 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:I would agree that if you take kicking out of the equation then Liam Williams is probably the best bet for Wales at 15. Halfpenny would certainly feature strong as an option on the right wing though, probably in competition with Walker and Amos and North. Cuthbert needs some time away from international rugby.

North for me isn't or shouldn't be an automatic choice his form for Wales has been poor as for where the ABs are I guess we can only pick from what we have regardless of how good or bad the Blacks are.

I like Watson a lot as for Hogg and Williams not having the temperament, Brown isn't exactly the calmest person when on the field and can be wound up quite easily I reckon.

Maybe but then I'd bet Brown has a lot less YC's than Hogg and Williams

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Wed 04 Nov 2015, 12:12 pm

Crazy to consider Brown on par with Williams or Hogg, Hogg and Brown are similar defencively, in the sense the very rarely make the cover tackle, Williams has the ability to do so however makes too many mistakes.

Halfpenny on the other hand has the ability to make try savers when he has no right too, and regularly shows the kind of nous and bravery the other 3 cannot.

Brown needs to develop a kicking game to not be so predictable, Hogg needs to cover tackle something, and Liam Williams gets too carried away in attack.

For me Halfpenny, Williams and Hogg make the lions squad as full backs, and Watson gets added for his and Williams ability to play wing.

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 04 Nov 2015, 12:15 pm

Don't get me wrong I think Brown is a class act but like the others he has shown signs he got be 'got at' and teams will target that.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Wed 04 Nov 2015, 12:18 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Don't get me wrong I think Brown is a class act but like the others he has shown signs he got be 'got at' and teams will target that.

I kind of disagree with this, pressure at the RWC was huge, and unlike a few English players who went into their shells he at least tried to fight his way out, I don't like or dislike Brown, however as a FB in the modern game I dont think he has an international future with England, there is too much talent coming through.

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 04 Nov 2015, 12:24 pm

I don't think many Scotland fans would have big issues with Hogg's tackling from deep - I remember he put in a really good covering tackle against Aus in the QF.

He went through a spell of being terrible under the high ball, but he seems to have sorted that.

So he's not as good as 1/2P with the cover tackles but I certainly wouldn't say it was a real weakness.

End product was his biggest failing in the world cup - he'd make great breaks but mess up the pass!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Wed 04 Nov 2015, 6:05 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:I don't think many Scotland fans would have big issues with Hogg's tackling from deep - I remember he put in a really good covering tackle against Aus in the QF.

He went through a spell of being terrible under the high ball, but he seems to have sorted that.

So he's not as good as 1/2P with the cover tackles but I certainly wouldn't say it was a real weakness.

End product was his biggest failing in the world cup - he'd make great breaks but mess up the pass!

He is similar to Brown in that his cover tackle rate is too low, he has the gas to corner flag and recover, but is stepped so easily! He's good under a high ball, and is lightning in attack, although I felt for him during the RWC, at times he was the go to guy and asked to produce something from nothing too often.

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7