The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+25
BlueCoverman
skiddy
Davie
McLaren
super_realist
GunsGerms
Mad for Chelsea
kwinigolfer
puligny
navyblueshorts
Nay
LadyPutt
hend085
Bob_the_Job
westisbest
beninho
SmithersJones
MontysMerkin
JAS
golfermartin
sirbenson
pedro
raycastleunited
I'm never wrong
Roller_Coaster
29 posters

Page 13 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 13 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by McLaren Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:42 am

First topic message reminder :

Super

For starters I live in a one bedroom flat. But I think you know that it should not take the people of a nation putting refugees up in their house before the government is required to do anything about it.

For example the government could easily rent 50 premier inns and put the refugees there until they can be given homes.

"Of course it matters. They have a far greater responsibility than the UK does"

So you are saying that because those countries closer to Syria have neglected their responsibilities the UK has the right to do nothing? You are saying that one country doing nothing is sufficient for another country to justify doing nothing?

bob

WTF was that?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 13 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:56 pm

No, the tv show simply demonstrated that contrary to the belief that if you are poor you have to eat from the type of shop advertised by Jim Davidson.

You can eat healthily and cheaply, it's just a fact.

Do I want a world in which everyone is fit and healthy, of course, why wouldn't I, why wouldn't you? and what's more, it's perfectly attainable by education, and by virtue of it, would reduce the strain put on the NHS by peoples lifestyle choices.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 13 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by McLaren Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:23 pm

"You can eat healthily and cheaply, it's just a fact"

It may well be a fact but the assumptions you have to make to make it a fact mean it is a pretty trivial argument. You would have to assume people have the time, skills, knowledge, facilities etc and as ben points out not be affected by any number of circumstances which would make shopping for and preparing an affordable healthy meal unrealistic.

Sometimes the comments you make illustrate that you live a seriously sheltered existence or that you are willfully ignorant of the difficulties some people face.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:53 am

McLaren wrote:"You can eat healthily and cheaply, it's just a fact"

It may well be a fact but the assumptions you have to make to make it a fact mean it is a pretty trivial argument. You would have to assume people have the time, skills, knowledge, facilities etc and as ben points out not be affected by any number of circumstances which would make shopping for and preparing an affordable healthy meal unrealistic.

Sometimes the comments you make illustrate that you live a seriously sheltered existence or that you are willfully ignorant of the difficulties some people face.

Sorry, not having the "skills" is not an excuse. Cooking is bloody easy, you just follow a recipe. Stop trying to make excuses for people to be unhealthy. It's nothing about living a "sheltered" life. I didn't used to be able to cook. If you have the "facilities" to heat a pizza, curry, Farmfoods Fishfingers, you have the facilities to cook.

You seem to be insinuating that poverty and hardship are a recent thing, and that terrible quality food outlets are their saviour. Did people have the skills, facilities, know how etc before these wretched shops come along? Yes, so people could very easily learn to do it now.

Time? Why exactly would they not have the time? If you have time to sit around getting fat eating Iceland and Farmfoods, you have enough time to cook. Sometimes Mac, you really are too much of a hand wringing, simpering liberal for your own good.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:22 am

Me and the wife are not badly off at all, we have one son, we are up at 6am most days, the wife leaves for work at 7.15. I take my son to the childminders at 8am, and get to work by 9am. By the time I finish work get my son home is 6pm, my wife gets home 6.45. We then bath him and get him ready for bed. He is usually asleep by 8pm ( if we are lucky) at this time, we really struggle to start cooking home made meals, so its usually some sort of convenience processed food, ( M&S not iceland).

I deal with basically poor people on a daily basis. These people work whatever hours they can get aswell as bringing up families. It is very tough for a lot of people, with rent costs being ridiculous. After costs of bills some people have very little money, they live how they can live. If its not easy for me to live in this home cooked healthy food lifestyle on a regular basis, its hardder for people that have it more difficult then I do.

I find it hard to accept wealthy people telling poorer people to be more like them.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:33 am

You could easily spend a couple of hours at the weekend making enough food for an entire week of meals. People really will do anything to excuse themselves from being healthy. No wonder the NHS is in a mess.

I've never said "be more like a wealthier person" as there are tons of healthy poor people and tons of unhealthy wealthy people, I'm simply saying it's quick, cheap and easy to be a healthy person if you want to be, regardless of income.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:50 am

I don't think its quick, cheap and easy to be healthy. It may be easy for some people, its not for others. A single man with money will find it easier, then a working family with children with less income and free time.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:51 am

What has money got to do with it? Fresh food is cheap, you just have to know where to look.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:01 am

Can you give some examples of cheap fresh food and recipes?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:10 am

Not wanting to jump into your lively and interesting debate, but I thought I would share how we try and eat cheaply and healthily. Brew up a massive pot of veg soup - just bung in chopped veg, soften with butter and top with stock/water. I usually do this on a Sunday after golf. I can use the soup as a sauce with pasta, base for a bolognese, sauce for chicken breast etc, all through the week. Or just have soup and bread if I'm short on time.

I thank you, in my next bulletin I will be regaling you about haircuts I have loved and lost.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:14 am

Curtains in the 90s monty?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:41 am

Ha yes - after the perm in the late 80's I did progress to the curtains, but not before I dallied with the shaved back n sides n long on top a la EMF. Great times...
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:55 am

beninho wrote:Can you give some examples of cheap fresh food and recipes?

If you have to ask that, you're not putting in any effort at all.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:09 am

McLaren wrote:Super

The type of foods which contain enough sugar to be affected by sugar taxes are typically consumed by those on lower incomes.  Have you seen how cheap the crappy food in Iceland or farmfoods is compared to buying fresh produce to make a healthy meal from scratch.

It takes a lot of time and money to prepare freshly prepared food for a family.
Time, maybe. Money, definitely not.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:15 am

Doesn't take much time either Navy, you just have to be organised.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:07 pm

I eat quite a lot of veggie meals and so presumably my bill for food should be a little less than if I ate more meat, but regardless of what I am trying to make from scratch you don't get much change out of £15 for a meal for two. Veggie stuff can usually last a couple of nights, so that helps.

But you could easily buy a pizza or frozen meal for a few pounds that doesn't take an hour to make and can just be shoved into the oven.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:13 pm

Looks like golf isn't going to be on the cards this weekend. Looking out the window now and it is snowing pretty hard.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:15 pm

McLaren wrote:I eat quite a lot of veggie meals and so presumably my bill for food should be a little less than if I ate more meat, but regardless of what I am trying to make from scratch you don't get much change out of £15 for a meal for two.  Veggie stuff can usually last a couple of nights, so that helps.  

But you could easily buy a pizza or frozen meal for a few pounds that doesn't take an hour to make and can just be shoved into the oven.

Rubbish Mac. You aren't trying hard enough. According to your favourite paper, 67% of men and 59% of women are overweight. Are you really trying to tell me all of them are so poor and so bereft of time that they have no option but to eat poorly?
I've got some swamp land in New Jersey for you to buy if you're that gullible.

I feed myself for an entire week for about £25 and I'm not even trying to keep it down.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:26 pm

Super, now multiply that by 2 or 3 to cover a family of 4 and you will start to understand just how big a weekly food bill can be. Then add in the costs of 2 or 3 kids, energy bills, transport costs etc and suddenly your food budget isn't enough to cover even a measly £25 a head per week.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:29 pm

LIke I said Mac, I'm not even trying to keep it down.

So what if I multiply it by 3 or 4. Your minky farmfoods or iceland isn't going to be much cheaper, so it's a moot point.

Even if it were true, that doesn't explain why 67% of men and 59% of women in the UK are overweight. Are you really suggesting that many people are short of money and time? Nonsense.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:43 pm

Super

The point trying to be made to you is that for those on low incomes with several dependents budgets are very tight, iceland doesn't have to be that much cheaper from your perspective to make a lot of sense to people really on the edge. And again, please don't underestimate the time constraints.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:59 pm

Yes, budgets are tight for some people, but not 69% of men and 57% of women in the UK.

Yes, dreadful shops provide cheap food, but it's not the only cheap source of food.

Yes, people are terrible at organising time. Can you really say that ALL poor people are short on time? Nonsense. Have you ever seen the stats for how much tv this nation watches or how much time people are sedentary?

The way you go on, you make it sound like every poor person has 4 kids, transport costs, sky high energy costs and works every hour there is to make ends meet and that they have no choice but to eat the lips and ahole served up from these budget shops.
There's a Monty Python sketch about this sort of thing Mr Corbyn.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:06 pm

I read that a big issue is basically people working longer hours, and spending more time in cars or at desks. Leaving less time in life to exercise etc.

Basically we are having an unwinnable argument. Some people rich and poor could be living better lifestyles, some may struggle due to their circumstances. You can't tar everyone with the same brush.

Internet forum debates can be fun though, cant they?!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:10 pm

That's the point Ben. The % of people which fall into the too poor/not enough time bucket is nowhere near the % of people who are overweight and potentially putting a strain on the NHS through their preventable condition.

Of course, it's an argument no one can win, but I think it's pretty hard to argue against that almost everyone in the UK could be living more healthily and this could only benefit the NHS.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:34 pm

McLaren wrote:I eat quite a lot of veggie meals and so presumably my bill for food should be a little less than if I ate more meat, but regardless of what I am trying to make from scratch you don't get much change out of £15 for a meal for two.  Veggie stuff can usually last a couple of nights, so that helps.  

You're being done or disingenuous with the reality. Do really spend £15 and use it all for a single meal? Just on vegetables? What are you buying? Rare asparagus out of season? Presumably, you buy the veg, use some of it for a meal and save the rest, using it later?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:37 pm

I remember a time when everything was easy, even golf...then the kid A arrived and it all got quite a lot harder...then kid B arrived and time seemed to just dissolve... That said, while it's definitely more difficult to maintain a varied diet, we will still have freshly cooked or reheated food most nights. Batch cooking is the answer, but it's not a sin to have the odd carry-oot on occasion. Eating ready meals on a daily basis is not a great idea - have you seen how much sugar and salt they pack in those things! Our weekly trip to the supermarche sets us back around 50-60 on an average week (since we made the switch from Tesco to Morrisons, used to be closer to 80 p/w Shocked ) for our family of four, and that's inclusive of nappies 💩

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:59 pm

I'm not unhealthy, but I definitely dont live a healthy lifestyle. I drive to work, I spend most of the day sitting down, I drive home again. We eat ok, but mostly on a day by day shopping on way home from work for dinner. Though try and cook a decent meal for all 3 of us at the weekends.

My life is so different to before little un was born though! Could go to the gym, go running when I wanted, even played a bit more golf.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:05 pm

It really really isn't difficult to eat well and healthily Mac. I'll typically have fruit & yoghurt for brekkie (e.g. Apple, blueberries, strawberries)
Lunch can be something like toast & poached egg or a smoked salmon omelette (you can get packs of smoked salmon trimmings really cheap. Other examples of a cheap lunch being pasta with say tomatoes & spring onion & parsley to jazz it up a wee bit. That only leaves the evening main meal Sometimg like chicken thighs much cheaper than breast, diced turkey meat, fish etc really not that expensive, neither is rice, cous cous, potatoes etc to accompany, add in something like spinach, or carrot and really you should be able to eat well for less than £10 a day.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:05 pm

Navy

I tend to try an make something that can be eaten for a second day. I usually cook asian or middle eastern stuff, as they have a lot of veggie recipes. I am sure I buy a few unnecessary items but it doesn't seem like a get much change out of £15 when I got to the shops.

I usually try and aim for about £3 per portion which is £12 for a meal that lasts two people two nights. I rarely stick to this budget, especially if you using meat.

I buy my veg from the local fruit and veg shop which probably puts the price up a bit, and I also try to use local butchers as well, which again isn't cheap.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:07 pm

beninho wrote:I'm not unhealthy, but I definitely dont live a healthy lifestyle.  I drive to work, I spend most of the day sitting down, I drive home again. We eat ok, but mostly on a day by day shopping on way home from work for dinner. Though try and cook a decent meal for all 3 of us at the weekends.

My life is so different to before little un was born though! Could go to the gym, go running when I wanted, even played a bit more golf.

Of course, circumstances change a bit, lot's of people use that sort of thing as a barrier, it's just rearranging your lifestyle to suit (if you wanted to). Park the car and walk a bit, take the stair instead of the lift, have a walk at lunchtime, eat fruit instead of chocolate and crisps, drink more water.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:08 pm

McLaren wrote:Navy

I tend to try an make something that can be eaten for a second day.  I usually cook asian or middle eastern stuff, as they have a lot of veggie recipes.  I am sure I buy a few unnecessary items but it doesn't seem like a get much change out of £15 when I got to the shops.

I usually try and aim for about £3 per portion which is £12 for a meal that lasts two people two nights.   I rarely stick to this budget, especially if you using meat.

I buy my veg from the local fruit and veg shop which probably puts the price up a bit, and I also try to use local butchers as well, which again isn't cheap.

Who's the second person Mac? Your 9C Poster? Doesn't eat much, or are you having Shane Lowry round for dinner?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:37 pm

I'm mostly too drunk to cook anyway.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:03 pm

super_realist wrote:

Rubbish Mac. You aren't trying hard enough. According to your favourite paper, 67% of men and 59% of women are overweight. Are you really trying to tell me all of them are so poor and so bereft of time that they have no option but to eat poorly?
I've got some swamp land in New Jersey for you to buy if you're that gullible.

I feed myself for an entire week for about £25 and I'm not even trying to keep it down.

You're bulimic? No wonder you hate fat people.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:06 pm

I have often wondered if Super had an eating disorder of some sort. He certainly seems to have a high degree of obsession over what he and other people eat.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:24 pm

A modelling career has it's price...
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:31 pm

Just noticed the last line of Supers comment.

"I'm not even trying to keep it down"

Smithers. Very Happy
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:37 pm

MontysMerkin wrote:I'm mostly too drunk to cook anyway.

That is a brilliant post sir. If I had a cap and knew what a doff was, I would doff my cap to you. clap

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:34 pm

super_realist wrote:Not really Mac. I'm not sure why you are so coy about it. I suspect you don't actually have a career requiring skill and that you simply do a meaningless, brainless job.

It's so obvious what sector Mac "works" in. I've known this for years.

He lives off his mummy and daddy.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:50 pm

Is it that obvious Ray? Sad
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:54 pm

McLaren wrote:Just noticed the last line of Supers comment.

"I'm not even trying to keep it down"

Smithers.  Very Happy

I was wondering if I needed to go back and make that bold!
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:58 pm

Meaningless, brainless job.

What do you class as that then?

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon May 02, 2016 8:49 pm

Chelsea picard

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Mon May 02, 2016 9:12 pm

no surprise spurs are 2-0 up

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon May 02, 2016 10:22 pm

Spurs showing their true face: animals.
Have never seen something like that before, not even in S.America.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon May 02, 2016 10:22 pm

Only surprise is that Spurs didn't have Rose, Lamela and Dier sent off.
Dembele will get his in the morning. Pathetic exhibition.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Mon May 02, 2016 10:25 pm

Feel sorry for you lot having to see Gary Lineker in his underpants presenting match of the day.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon May 02, 2016 10:26 pm

Maybe we get to see Rebecca Lowe in her knick knacks Grumps?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Mon May 02, 2016 10:39 pm

Rather her than Robbie Mustoe or Kyle Martino

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon May 02, 2016 11:31 pm

Chelsea were up to their usual antics and a fired up Spurs took the bait.

But who cares, Leicester pull of what must be the best achievement in English Football since Man Utd's 99 treble.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue May 03, 2016 7:57 am

Mac, how was the "treble" the best achievement in English football up until that point? Don't be ridiculous.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue May 03, 2016 9:14 am

To be fair, since Manchester United won the treble, I cant think of many better achievments in English football. Maybe Arsenal going unbeaten all season is the only thing that could rival it.

But Leicester winning is something else. Though It was all built on them going in administration in 2002, and wiping off all their debts, with local companies going out of business due to money being owed. They then had a nice new stadium and won promotion that season. Which lead to the FA changing the rules regarding administration and points deductions.

But winning the league is a massive achievement. Good tactics and good players can go a long way.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16 ... 20  Next