The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Silly season transfer rumours III...

+61
DaveM
Recwatcher16
chris_501
whocares
RDW
Pot Hale
PhilBB
Knackeredknees
nathan
international198
Driver
TheMildlyFranticLlama
kingelderfield
stnick88
LeinsterFan4life
doctor_grey
englishborn
LordDowlais
BigGee
NeilyBroon
Seagultaf
mckay1402
beshocked
bluestonevedder
sad_gimp
geoff999rugby
MonkeyOwain12
exile jack
Fluxy
Rugby Fan
Artful_Dodger
WELL-PAST-IT
Heaf
profitius
Margin_Walker
munkian
Ozzy3213
George Carlin
Geordie
No 7&1/2
Cumbrian
BamBam
HongKongCherry
propdavid_london
stub
Bathman_in_London
True Raven
ChequeredJersey
king_carlos
formerly known as Sam
lostinwales
mikey_dragon
LondonTiger
Sgt_Pooly
jbeadlesbigrighthand
demosthenes
Welly
yappysnap
Bathite
VinceWLB
Hazel Sapling
65 posters

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down

Silly season transfer rumours III... - Page 6 Empty Silly season transfer rumours III...

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:33 am

First topic message reminder :

Aaron Jarvis has signed for Clermont (http://www.planetrugby.com/news/ospreys-prop-jarvis-to-join-clermont/). The Osprey's signed Rhodri Jones as a replacement I guess.

Steve Shingler (of is he eligible for Scotland or not fame) has gone to the Blues. Straight swap of Shingler for Patchell. Hope Cardiff are paying less as Scarlets got the better player (http://www.planetrugby.com/news/shingler-swaps-scarlets-for-blues/)

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Silly season transfer rumours III... - Page 6 Empty Re: Silly season transfer rumours III...

Post by Welly Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:18 pm

king_carlos wrote:Michael Van Vurren to Bath for next year is being rumoured.

He's the Saffa hooker who has been at Tigers this season first on trial and then signed until the end of the season as injury cover. He's a big unit and seems to have shored up the scrum a couple of times when he's come on. Although his line-out throwing seems as  iffy as most hookers these days.

I'd rather keep him at Tigers and allow Thacker to try his hand at 7 more often but Tigers are well stocked at hooker and Bath currently aren't for next year so it would make sense as a signing.

The only thing place I have seen that being rumoured was one poster on the offy.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Silly season transfer rumours III... - Page 6 Empty Re: Silly season transfer rumours III...

Post by Bathite Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:02 pm

king_carlos wrote:Michael Van Vurren to Bath for next year is being rumoured.

He's the Saffa hooker who has been at Tigers this season first on trial and then signed until the end of the season as injury cover. He's a big unit and seems to have shored up the scrum a couple of times when he's come on. Although his line-out throwing seems as  iffy as most hookers these days.

I'd rather keep him at Tigers and allow Thacker to try his hand at 7 more often but Tigers are well stocked at hooker and Bath currently aren't for next year so it would make sense as a signing.

Haven't seen much of him. Would he really be a first choice option? We're lacking quality with Webber off (although he isn't great) and Batty not back in form and/or fit.

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:25 pm

Not sure he's first choice material, more squad option. I was hoping he'd stay at Tigers and keep the competition high but it seems not.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:27 pm

Welly - I've heard it from a Bath fan who says that rumours they are signing a squad hooker from Tigers have floated around for a bit and it has been put together that it's Van Vurren. It would make sense as Van Vuuren is good enough to get more game time than he will at Tigers and Bath need hookers.

I haven't checked the offy in a while as I got sick of the constant negativity towards the coaching staff and certain players regardless of performance. To many fans on there seem to believe that Tigers have some divine right to win silverware every year and that if it doesn't happen human sacrifice must be immediately offered from the playing and coaching staff.

Bathite - He wouldn't (or probably better to say shouldn't) be first choice for you but could be a useful squad player if you sign Jack Walker. Walker is talented but will need to be used sparingly in his first season of top flight rugby. Van Vuuren would offer depth for rotation. He's certainly got the physicality for Prem rugby and is solid in the scrum but he hasn't had a chance to show more than that.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:58 am

We have signed backrower Harrison Orr from Ealing.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:59 am

Anyone know much about Pat Howard? The Dragons have signed him from Northampton.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:11 am

So it seems we didn't learn the lesson of Keiron Brookes and Micky Youngs....

Now we're bringing back Joel Hodgson.... Erm Headscratch

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:56 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:So it seems we didn't learn the lesson of Keiron Brookes and Micky Youngs....

Joel Hodgson returning as a 9 or 10?

Mikey I don't think Howard has played for Saints that often. I can't remember seeing him in action.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:40 pm

Hodgson been playing well for Yorkshire hasn't he?

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:42 pm

Even the fans of 'Yorkshire' are ashamed to call themselves that.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:29 pm

I think Sinfield has playing 10 with Hodgson coming off the bench. I read his try return was decent but not nailing a starting spot in the Championship isn't massively encouraging.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:39 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote: but not nailing a starting spot in the Championship isn't massively encouraging.

Should fit right in with Falcons.

Hug

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:45 pm

Welly wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote: but not nailing a starting spot in the Championship isn't massively encouraging.

Hug

And then Tigers will steal him from us, ruin him and he'll come back with his tail between his legs Wink

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:46 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:
Welly wrote:

Hug

And then Tigers will steal him from us, ruin him and he'll come back with his tail between his legs Wink
Only to move to saints Wink

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:52 pm

Haha, I was just about to add that the traitorous furious

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:42 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:I think Sinfield has playing 10 with Hodgson coming off the bench. I read his try return was decent but not nailing a starting spot in the Championship isn't massively encouraging.

I bet Sinfield is an incredible on field leader and a defensive rock though. Young 10s generally struggle in those departments.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:06 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Anyone know much about Pat Howard? The Dragons have signed him from Northampton.

Was on loan with Munster for a season. Good player who does the basics well
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:30 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:So it seems we didn't learn the lesson of Keiron Brookes and Micky Youngs....

Joel Hodgson returning as a 9 or 10?

Mikey I don't think Howard has played for Saints that often. I can't remember seeing him in action.

Not sure Sam possibly as someone who covers 9, 10, 15

I'm really happy with our signings, but this one puzzles me and I'm not hugely impressed.

Hope he can prove me wrong

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:35 pm

So since Saints ruined Hodgson first does that mean when Falcons turn him into a international player He will go to Tigers?

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:49 pm

I don't think Saints have ruined Hodgson, he's just stalled. It was a bad career move move from the lad tbh.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:43 am

Ollie Curry leaving Irish.

Now that is a youngster I would like to see at Tigers.
Esp If we are not getting another 8 and lock and Slater and Fitzy are being viewed as back row cover.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:58 pm

Rowntree to Quins as forwards coach :0

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:02 pm

Good move on all parts IMO.

Rowntree gets a chance to restore his rep. (Which wouldn't of been so damaged if not for Lancasters and Faz fitness ideas.

Quins get a experience forwards coach to help school Easter in the coaching role.

Quins england players must of liked him considering they said they didn't want Lancaster, and Marler played well with him.

If Cockers was to go within the next 2 years i would like Rowntree to replace (Just a hypothetical thing as Murphy is prob the long term DoR prospect).

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:07 pm

Glasgow announced today that Nakarawa is confirmed off to a French club (to be announced by the French team) next season.

Also several players leaving including Jerry Yanayanatawa (LH) and Tyrone Holmes (Flanker) who may be of interest to Aviva/Top 14 clubs as squad players for those who need depth.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:49 pm

I transferred from Abu Dhabi to Dubai this year. Just saying.

I can report higher levels of road rage but better restaurants.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:20 pm

How did you find Abu Dhabi George? I'm mulling over a job offer, currently in Bahrain.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:02 pm

What do you drive George? I thought to move to Dubai there were strict vehicle checks and your car had to be gratuitously expensive

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:21 pm

I don't think there's such a thing as strict vehicle checks in the Middle East. I've just had my equivalent of an MOT and they basically walked around the car and said its ok.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Margin_Walker Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:43 pm

Welly wrote: Ollie Curry leaving Irish.

Esp If we are not getting another 8 and lock and Slater and Fitzy are being viewed as back row cover.

Would be a little left field, I'd think. He's still only 20 and only had 2 or 3 cameos from the bench in the AP and a few Challenge cup starts following an injury crisis at lock. He may well develop into a decent player (and I would have preferred him to stay to find out). Hasn't been involved with England U18/20 as far as I'm aware either, so isn't kicking the door down just yet.

Margin_Walker

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:46 pm

Margin_Walker wrote:

Would be a little left field, I'd think. He's still only 20 and only had 2 or 3 cameos from the bench in the AP and a few Challenge cup starts following an injury crisis at lock. He may well develop into a decent player (and I would have preferred him to stay to find out). Hasn't been involved with England U18/20 as far as I'm aware either, so isn't kicking the door down just yet.

I think he would suit Leicester @ Lock not as a 6 (Long term) from what i have seen of him he is big and physical.

Although we do have Maksymiw and Galletly coming up both look promising so either way.

Mind i'm waiting for the mad scramble when Cokanasiga turns 20.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Margin_Walker Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:54 pm

Welly wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:

I think he would suit Leicester @ Lock not as a 6 (Long term) from what i have seen of him he is big and physical.

Although we do have Maksymiw and Galletly coming up both look promising so either way.

Mind i'm waiting for the mad scramble when Cokanasiga turns 20.

Yeah, Cokanasiga will be an interesting one. Massive kid, but also looks a bit of a tug boat when he's turned defensively from what little I've seen. Obviously very early though, so could develop into a real weapon.

Margin_Walker

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:57 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:Glasgow announced today that Nakarawa is confirmed off to a French club (to be announced by the French team) next season.

Also several players leaving including Jerry Yanayanatawa (LH) and Tyrone Holmes (Flanker) who may be of interest to Aviva/Top 14 clubs as squad players for those who need depth.  

Townsend said that the Nakarawa deal allowed them to strengthen the squad. Interesting to see who's coming in.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:35 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:How did you find Abu Dhabi George? I'm mulling over a job offer, currently in Bahrain.
Bahrain is okay in the sense that it's now a stable place to live. 

It completely depends what you're used to and where you currently live. Bahrain is a small country and not as scrubbed up and shiny as some of the other parts of the region. That said, it's an awful lot better than living in Saudi or Kuwait where the quality of life is pretty patchy or Qatar (which is really, seriously, small). It's all about saving money for me (the UAE has no income tax although VAT is coming in the next year) so check what sort of tax Bahrain will ask you to pay. 

I would always recommend a change of scene as it keeps you fresh and sharp. I still maintain (although I would say that) that the UAE is the best place in the region though. Liberal country (I can go to my local church freely), no direct tax (a sh!t-ton of indirect ones, mind), good weather, a large ex-pat community and the whole country still has money to spend which means that there's a fair amount to see and do, whilst also being a decent springboard to the rest of the word if you want to travel. 

For example, I can go and watch Dara O'Briain (which I did last month) but at the same time I am going to see Placido Domingo in the new Dubai Opera House in August. As I said, depends what you're used to. I lived in London for 10 years so I think I needed a city like this, but if I'd come straight from Glasgow, I might not think that Bahrain was too bad. 

Abu Dhabi is a great city, incidentally. The capital, so understated old money, but very nice locals and geographically very compressed. Great place to raise kids. If you get a chance to go there (or Dubai), you should think seriously about taking it.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:36 am

yappysnap wrote:What do you drive George? I thought to move to Dubai there were strict vehicle checks and your car had to be gratuitously expensive
True dat. I drive a Volkswagon because my wife has become curiously adept at spending all of our money.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:48 am

Thanks George. I've been in Bahrain 18 months so have the general jist, it's a pretty cool place. I've done Dubai a far bit, but feel I'd be dead in a year or two with all the partying options!

I've heard Abu Dhabi is a comfortable middle ground between Bahrain and Dubai so might give it a shot. It's a decent pay rise too which always helps.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:03 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Thanks George. I've been in Bahrain 18 months so have the general jist, it's a pretty cool place. I've done Dubai a far bit, but feel I'd be dead in a year or two with all the partying options!

I've heard Abu Dhabi is a comfortable middle ground between Bahrain and Dubai so might give it a shot. It's a decent pay rise too which always helps.
Ah. I misread your email. I thought that Bahrain was the destination. 

In that case, it's a no-brainer. Abu Dhabi is a much nicer place to live than Manama and the whole country is more pleasant. PM me if you need a steer on where to live because I can feel the boredom from the other people on this thread but it's the best time in the (40 year) history of the country to move into good quality accommodation. Aim for Saadiyat Island (stunning) or Sowwah Square if you're one of those corporate youngfellers that I probably used to be.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:19 am

Ben Sowerby confirmed from Wuss.

Cant work that one out.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:24 am

Thanks George, I'll message you if I take the position.

Odd one GF, will he add anything?

See Lockwood made Championship team of the year.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:23 am

Well it leaves us in the position of:

1 Senior Experienced Hooker - Lawson whos not getting any younger

and

3 "Work in progress" kids none of whom have had any significant premiership experience??

Nelson and Socino has impressed in the A games but they've had no exposure to Premiership rugby?? ANd neither has Sowerby from what Wuss fans say.

Lockwood is apparently a beast of a scrummager. Lets hope he is...will work well with Welsh.

What was the point in getting Ben Harris??

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:16 pm

Rob Andrew resigning to be replaced by Nigel Melville

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun May 01, 2016 1:00 pm

Mafi leaving Bath after a bust up with backroom staff over physio time. Won't be coming back next season.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sun May 01, 2016 1:01 pm

OHHHHH he would sort out Tigers 8 needs.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun May 01, 2016 1:13 pm

I'd guess that Mafi will just go back to Japan given the money he gets in the Top League.

He might be available for another contract from January, as Bath signed him on, if a side is looking for a big carrier to shake up their back row for the second half of the season.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun May 01, 2016 5:46 pm

I'm not sure Tigers have any needs at 8 Welly. The two sevens plus Williams at six is the best balance we've had in the back row since 2009 when we had three open sides in the back row (Moody, Woods, Newby). Pick two of Evans, McCaffery and BOC and we're good, we have Fonua for impact and Crane is great when the weather is awful.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon May 02, 2016 11:25 am

Luke Hamilton of Agen to Leicester tigers

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon May 02, 2016 11:32 am

Had to google him. Looks a pretty uninspiring signing Welly.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon May 02, 2016 11:36 am

Top tackler in the Top 14 (or top 2)

Yeh very uninspiring.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/remarkable-story-unknown-unwanted-welshman-11156801

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon May 02, 2016 11:44 am

You could associate the tackling stats to where Agen lie in the table I guess?

Some strange recruitment in the pack for Tigers of late. They've signed some great backs, Toomua will really add something. A lot of mediocre players coming into the forward line though.

Are Tigers going to be able to continue to compete with the big boys next season?

Saracens sign Schlak Burger, Tigers sign Luke Hamilton.....(I know it's not as simple as that obviously)

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon May 02, 2016 11:44 am

As the comments on that article state, he is one of the top tacklers in the Top 14 as Agen are gash and spent about an hour each game without the ball. I'd have decent tackle numbers playing for them, as that's all I'd be doing.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon May 02, 2016 11:54 am

Ozzy3213 wrote:As the comments on that article state, he is one of the top tacklers in the Top 14 as Agen are gash and spent about an hour each game without the ball.  I'd have decent tackle numbers playing for them, as that's all I'd be doing.

Well Irish could of done with you then, considering there top tackler makes what 3 tackles a game despite being relegation fodder Wink

Mind Irish could be in a low enough league that you could actually play for them in the not so distance future.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next