The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BT Sport: Dallaglio interview with Eddie Jones

+2
funnyExiledScot
Rugby Fan
6 posters

Go down

BT Sport: Dallaglio interview with Eddie Jones Empty BT Sport: Dallaglio interview with Eddie Jones

Post by Rugby Fan Tue 13 Sep 2016, 7:51 am

The Rugby Tonight show had an exclusive interview with Eddie Jones a few weeks ago, and it's now up on their podcast. Dallaglio does tend to talk over Jones, and has a slight habit of adding answers to his own questions ("Do you get up to much outside rugby? Like going to theatre, watching other sports? Or...") but it's not too bad.

It's on itunes, or you can find it through Podcrawler. Here's one link:

http://stitched-files.bwh9c8255b4.netdna-cdn.com/stitch1/rugbytonight/exclusiveeddiejonesinterview/nOaENMg4DUGChDTVUyNjhw.mp3

An edited version clip of the interview was up on YouTube, so you can see how it was set up:

I hadn't realized Jones did a player exchange scheme back in 1991, and ended up spending time with Leicester, while Matt Poole went to Australia. Jones said he once took a quick lineout, after which he was told "We don't do that kind of thing here".

Jones says he hasn't really focused much on overall conditioning for the England squad so anticipates getting improvements on that front from now. He admitted that the attacking prowess will take more time to develop, and even thinks that won't be fully realized until the next World Cup.

He says he'll play his strongest side against South Africa in the Autumn and then take it from there.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

BT Sport: Dallaglio interview with Eddie Jones Empty Re: BT Sport: Dallaglio interview with Eddie Jones

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 13 Sep 2016, 2:20 pm

I hadn't realized Jones did a player exchange scheme back in 1991, and ended up spending time with Leicester, while Matt Poole went to Australia. Jones said he once took a quick lineout, after which he was told "We don't do that kind of thing here".

I love that story and can believe it 100%. Some wonderful Leicester stories from those days: I think it was Dallaglio who claimed that his debut against Dean Richards involved being blatantly punched in the face by Richards at an early lineout whilst the ref had his back turned.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

BT Sport: Dallaglio interview with Eddie Jones Empty Re: BT Sport: Dallaglio interview with Eddie Jones

Post by yappysnap Tue 13 Sep 2016, 6:25 pm

Reminds me of Austin Healy's first training session at Tigers.

He's playing 10 gets the ball and steps the forward infront of him, as he's going around the player, who turns out to be Richard Cockerill, he's punched in the face and told 'we don't don't do that at leicester'!

Listened to the first few mins of interview but can't stand Dallaglio, great player but joins Monye on the 'terrible tv personality trading on their playing rep pile'.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Tue 13 Sep 2016, 6:46 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:...Some wonderful Leicester stories from those days...

I was listening to Andy Goode and Jim Hamilton talk about Leicester back-of-the-bus fights on a recent podcast. It sounds like Hamilton and Corry once had a very vicious set-to. Goode reckons Neil Back was always landing low blows during them. They both seemed to think it was great team culture. Then again, Saracens are showing there are other ways to get results.

Wonder which club Dave Flatman is talking about here:

http://sport-magazine.co.uk/features/flats-friday-73

yappysnap wrote:Listened to the first few mins of interview but can't stand Dallaglio, great player but joins Monye on the 'terrible tv personality trading on their playing rep pile'.

Thought Dallaglio was awful when he started but he has improved as part of the BT team. However, this shows he is certainly no interviewer. Jones likes talking, so you should give him as much space to speak as possible.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 13 Sep 2016, 9:37 pm

Good to read Rugby Fan. Flatman is one of the ex pro's who's moved seamlessly into the world of tv and newspaper, I always think he's under used by BT.

As to Sarries and their culture, it can't really be replicated. A few pints are a lot cheaper for most teams then team iPads, trips abroad and potentially breaking certain rules to buy a few veteran pro's, then paying legal fees to cover it up to build a culture...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 14 Sep 2016, 7:36 am

The iPads are cheap. The undeclared cars, house payments, spousal jobs, free childcare, family holidays much less so Run

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 14 Sep 2016, 8:28 am

Yep Tigers would we'll know just how much those sorts of things would cost... Wink and the cost of opening and running Italian restaurants

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Wed 14 Sep 2016, 9:09 am

6-7% improvement - Might take a bit more than that to overhaul the AB's

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 14 Sep 2016, 9:36 am

I used to think that Dallaglio was quite a vain guy but I met him at a rugby dinner, had a good chat with him, he's obviously very passionate about Wasps unsurprisingly but was a really nice bloke. Seemed more down to earth than I thought he'd be.

Found him easier to talk to than some other current and ex players I've met.

As for Saracens, Londontiger I am sure you know things I don't but I am sure I know things you don't too.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down