The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Federer : I'm all set to return at Hopman Cup

+3
CaledonianCraig
Born Slippy
lags72
7 posters

Go down

Federer :  I'm all set to return at Hopman Cup Empty Federer : I'm all set to return at Hopman Cup

Post by lags72 Sun 27 Nov 2016, 4:07 pm

Caught a brief live TV interview earlier today with the Fed in Abu Dhabi, where he was attending the final race of the Formula 1 GP season (clearly benefitting from the many privileges provided by his sponsor Mercedes Benz)

He said he was feeling in good shape and looking forward to a return to competition at the Hopman Cup before moving on to Melbourne. He did hesitate somewhat when asked if he was totally 'injury-free', saying that because he hadn't played since Wimbledon he doesn't know for sure just how his body will hold up. He certainly looked to be in rude health and (perhaps not surprisingly) very relaxed.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Federer :  I'm all set to return at Hopman Cup Empty Re: Federer : I'm all set to return at Hopman Cup

Post by Born Slippy Sun 27 Nov 2016, 4:13 pm

Curious that he mentioned the Hopman Cup. He's signed up to play the Indian Premier League albeit his appearance dates have yet to be confirmed.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Federer :  I'm all set to return at Hopman Cup Empty Re: Federer : I'm all set to return at Hopman Cup

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 27 Nov 2016, 4:15 pm

Born Slippy wrote:Curious that he mentioned the Hopman Cup. He's signed up to play the Indian Premier League albeit his appearance dates have yet to be confirmed.

I'd be gobsmacked if he entered that to be honest.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun 27 Nov 2016, 4:17 pm

Looking forward to what will likely be Feds last season on tour Smile

Enjoy it whilst it lasts folks.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Sun 27 Nov 2016, 4:18 pm

It's been confirmed Craig:

http://www.tennisworldusa.org/news/news/Roger_Federer/38619/roger-federer-to-make-his-comeback-at-the-iptl-nadal-won-t-play/

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 27 Nov 2016, 4:26 pm

Born Slippy wrote:It's been confirmed Craig:

http://www.tennisworldusa.org/news/news/Roger_Federer/38619/roger-federer-to-make-his-comeback-at-the-iptl-nadal-won-t-play/

Goes against what he was saying earlier today then.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sun 27 Nov 2016, 6:37 pm

Yes, CC that does go against what he said just a few hours ago in Abu Dhabi.

A number of possible explanations ..... ?

- he was thinking about his new season (as in tournies beginning 2017), but will still play ITPL.

- he's not actually playing ITPL at all (contrary to some reports)

- he doesn't regard ITPL as serious tennis, so didn't bother mentioning it one way or the other ..... Wink

EDIT - yes, I too believe it will be his last season - although ..... if he somehow got back to top 3, then I think he would be inclined to give it another year.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 27 Nov 2016, 6:49 pm

I think it will all depend what Roger expects/wants from the sport now.

If he still enjoys the battles, the hunger to win and is content with less big tournament wins ie Masters Series wins and would be happy reaching QF's and SF's in slams then this may not be his last year especially if his knee feels good.

However, if he still harbors ambitions of more slam wins and is not content to just make QF's and SF's in slams and finds playing more of a chore then he may opt for an exit from the sport by the end of the year.

Who knows?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sun 27 Nov 2016, 8:26 pm

Indeed. Who knows ....??

It's likely to take some time to get truly match-fit and  - as he himself mentioned today - to see "where my game is at"

On-court performance apart, I guess the natural desire to spend 'quality time' (as the cliché goes ...) with the family tribe could become an increasingly significant factor.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Sun 27 Nov 2016, 10:02 pm

If he comes back at his 2015 level, then he's the third best player in the world and a major contender at Wimbledon and US open.

He ran into Djokovic having one of the all time best seasons in two slam finals in 2015.

Djokovic in decline and Murray dominating...Fed fared better against Murray in recent years and I think Murray may be more likely to go out early than Djokovic was during his dominant period.

I still think he'll be a contender at worst.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Mon 28 Nov 2016, 9:33 am

Yes, a very valid reminder of just how serious a contender he was in 2015, Guest82.

However, with the passing years I think the fundamental problem at Slams is, as ever, the ability of an ageing body to recover between rounds when/if there are lengthy 5-set battles.

But across the tour in general I would think that Fed's name on a draw sheet will continue to be a fairly unwelcome sight for the vast majority of players. Even in his (albeit truncated) 2016 season, only one guy outside the top ten managed a win against him - and that was the 'up & coming' Zverev.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue 29 Nov 2016, 10:50 am

With this prolonged absence (and four kids to feed),  I really don't know how he's paying all the household bills.

Although still the highest-earner in world tennis every year since 2006, he apparently only managed to bank a little over $67m in the 12 months to June 2016 ..... Sad

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2016/08/30/federer-heads-the-worlds-highest-paid-tennis-players-2016/#64ee6c783cfc

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by TRuffin Thu 01 Dec 2016, 1:13 am

I think it's all about Wimbledon for him. If he can stay healthy he should be able to build to peak match toughness at that point. Let's not forget on a blown unstable knee he made it to semis and gave an in prime top 5 Raoinc all he could handle for 5 sets this year. A healthy fed is always a massive threat on grass.

After his back problem 2013- he entered 2014 saying he was healthy but his plan was to be able to build to peak fitness by July. After his ealry season success he expressed surprise it came back so quickly to him. He has much more rust this time so I think a similar plan is what he is trying for

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 02 Dec 2016, 12:19 am

Anything's possible for Federer in 2017 but I don't expect much.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Tue 06 Dec 2016, 1:57 pm

Fed does indeed drop out of the IPTL - seemingly uncertainties around the currency situation. Serena has pulled out as well. Probably a good call for him anyway.

The cynical side of me does wonder if there was some agreement to say that they were playing (with some form of retainer) to drum up interest but always with an option to drop if the finances didn't look right.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 06 Dec 2016, 3:32 pm

Born Slippy wrote:Fed does indeed drop out of the IPTL - seemingly uncertainties around the currency situation. Serena has pulled out as well. Probably a good call for him anyway.

The cynical side of me does wonder if there was some agreement to say that they were playing (with some form of retainer) to drum up interest but always with an option to drop if the finances didn't look right.

And does explain his comments at F1 a week and a half ago. Obviously, a decision he had made a few weeks ago.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down