The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leicester Tigers part ways with Cockerill.

+20
broadlandboy
TheMildlyFranticLlama
propdavid_london
hugehandoff
rosbif
Big
Gooseberry
Rugby Fan
Sgt_Pooly
king_carlos
mid_gen
B91212
Kingshu
Artful_Dodger
offload
SecretFly
eirebilly
doctor_grey
formerly known as Sam
Welly
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Leicester Tigers part ways with Cockerill. Empty Leicester Tigers part ways with Cockerill.

Post by Welly Mon 02 Jan 2017, 12:34 pm

End of a era.

http://www.leicestertigers.com/news/25986.php

Richard Cockerill is to leave his position as director of rugby at Leicester Tigers with immediate effect.
Former Tigers and England hooker Cockerill has been on the coaching staff at the club since 2004, becoming director of rugby in 2010.

Cockerill said: "It is with great sadness and regret that I leave my position as director of rugby with immediate effect. I still believe that I am the right person to lead the team at this present time but respect the Board's decision to make change as they see fit in the best interests of the club.

"I wish to thank the club and in particular Simon Cohen and Peter Tom for giving me the opportunity to lead this great club and the support they have given me in the last seven years.

"I arrived back at the club in 2004 as an academy coach and leave as DOR with a record that speaks for itself and stands up against any in club rugby in the world.

"This club has made me the person and the coach I am today and I will never forget what they have done for me.

"I wish Tom Youngs and the team the very best for the future and will miss being part of the Tigers Family."

Cockerill joined the club as a player in 1992 and became a member of the 'ABC Club' front row with Graham Rowntree and Darren Garforth, making 262 appearances, winning five league titles, two domestic cups and back-to-back European Cups. He also earned 27 caps for England.

After two years with Montferrand in France, Cockerill returned to Leicester for a second spell as a player and joined the coaching staff, initially with the academy. He worked as forwards coach and twice as interim head coach before being named head coach as Tigers won the Premiership title and reached the European Cup Final in 2009.

Tigers retained the Premiership crown in 2010 and Cockerill became director of rugby in July that year. The team reached the Premiership Final again in 2011 and 2012, as well as winning the Anglo-Welsh Cup in 2011/12, and the team collected a record 10th league title with victory in May 2013.

Tigers chairman Peter Tom CBE said: "We thank Richard for his loyal and dedicated service as a player, coach and director of rugby. He has a great passion for the club and for the game of rugby, and has shared in many massive occasions with the Tigers.

"The club always has aspirations to contest the major honours in the game and that remains unchanged but the board believes this is the right time to make a change."

Tigers head coach Aaron Mauger will be in interim charge of team affairs working with coaches Richard Blaze and Geordan Murphy and the existing support staff.

The Board will also conduct a review of the coaching structure to determine an appropriate way forward.

The club will not make any further comment at this stage.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Leicester Tigers part ways with Cockerill. Empty Re: Leicester Tigers part ways with Cockerill.

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 02 Jan 2017, 12:55 pm

Where's the replacement? Blaze I don't rate as a forwards coach. I don't like the way the board say they are conducting a review. That should have been done before they decided to sack one of the leagues most experienced DORs and our forwards coach.

I feel for Cockers. He's always been honest and done everything he could for the club. Yesterday he gave us the right tactical set up and passion to win the game. Unfortunately for him that hasn't happened away from WR.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Leicester Tigers part ways with Cockerill. Empty Re: Leicester Tigers part ways with Cockerill.

Post by doctor_grey Mon 02 Jan 2017, 1:02 pm

I would think as DOR he was responsible/accountable for the players in the team. And I don't think the talent is there compared to previous seasons.

However, Cockers the coach was able cover that up by generally getting the best out of his players he did have, something I respect massively. It is not easy or common, but also can't last forever.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 02 Jan 2017, 1:03 pm

This really is not the time to sack a DOR. Very foolish from the Tigers.

They are still in Europe and are very much in contention for the premiership. Thought that they have been playing ok and getting better by the week. If they felt that he was not the right man then they should have waited until the end of the season and scout a good replacement, this all seems kneejerk and may de-stabilise the team somewhat.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 02 Jan 2017, 1:05 pm

Cockerill won't realise this now.... but at a personal level I'd say Leicester has done him a service in separating him from what has been in a way his comfort blanket. You can get too tied in and stunt your own growth when you become part of the furniture of any single establishment.
It will be a shock to his system to move away and on but I think in a few years time he'll feel it was actually a positive moment in his career. It's a chance for him to reset the clock and start something fresh.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Mon 02 Jan 2017, 1:09 pm

Good to see a board take decisive action. Too often coaches are retained too long. He's a good coach and will have a positive impact somewhere else.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 02 Jan 2017, 1:12 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Where's the replacement? Blaze I don't rate as a forwards coach. I don't like the way the board say they are conducting a review. That should have been done before they decided to sack one of the leagues most experienced DORs and our forwards coach.

I feel for Cockers. He's always been honest and done everything he could for the club. Yesterday he gave us the right tactical set up and passion to win the game. Unfortunately for him that hasn't happened away from WR.

Tigers board have been working behind the scenes for a month now things will happen soon.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 02 Jan 2017, 1:15 pm

eirebilly wrote:This really is not the time to sack a DOR. Very foolish from the Tigers.

They are still in Europe and are very much in contention for the premiership. Thought that they have been playing ok and getting better by the week. If they felt  that he was not the right man then they should have waited until the end of the season and scout a good replacement, this all seems kneejerk and may de-stabilise the team somewhat.

TBH this isn't the first or the last time the board will sack someone mid season, it happened to Deano.

To their credit the board are pretty good at not letting a knee jerk reaction trick them.

SecretFly wrote:Cockerill won't realise this now.... but at a personal level I'd say Leicester has done him a service in separating him from what has been in a way his comfort blanket.  You can get too tied in and stunt your own growth when you become part of the furniture of any single establishment.  
It will be a shock to his system to move away and on but I think in a few years time he'll feel it was actually a positive moment in his career.  It's a chance for him to reset the clock and start something fresh.  

Prob go to france to coach again.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 02 Jan 2017, 1:16 pm

SecretFly wrote:Cockerill won't realise this now.... but at a personal level I'd say Leicester has done him a service in separating him from what has been in a way his comfort blanket.  You can get too tied in and stunt your own growth when you become part of the furniture of any single establishment.  
It will be a shock to his system to move away and on but I think in a few years time he'll feel it was actually a positive moment in his career.  It's a chance for him to reset the clock and start something fresh.  

Very good point Fly. I do believe that he is a very good coach and I am certain he will be snapped up. My only concern for him is that he has really only known a Leicester kind of game plan and approach which may not work at another club.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Mon 02 Jan 2017, 1:28 pm

Who will replace him? I see Martin Johnson's name being thrown around a lot, what about Stuart Lancaster?

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 02 Jan 2017, 1:30 pm

eirebilly wrote:

Very good point Fly. I do believe that he is a very good coach and I am certain he will be snapped up. My only concern for him is that he has really only known a Leicester kind of game plan and approach which may not work at another club.

He was very succesful as a player and coach with Clermont from what i gather, and has a good relationship with the club.

Leicester game plan is a forwards game plan for Cockers and plenty of other clubs like/want that,

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 02 Jan 2017, 1:39 pm

Welly wrote:
eirebilly wrote:

He was very succesful as a player and coach with Clermont from what i gather, and has a good relationship with the club.

Leicester game plan is a forwards game plan for Cockers and plenty of other clubs like/want that,

I don't remember that he was so successful with Clermont, don't believe he was there long enough to make his mark. My concern is that he only knows the in depth workings of Leicester and may struggle to adapt to another club's culture fast enough. He is, without a doubt, a very good coach so I hope he does very well wherever he goes.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 02 Jan 2017, 1:40 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:Who will replace him?  I see Martin Johnson's name being thrown around a lot, what about Stuart Lancaster?

Lancaster would not be a popular appointment. 

Meyer who had to leave early last time because of family illness. Johnno or Ben Herring (who has had several coaching jobs in Japan after playing and coaching at Tigers). Would all be more popular choices.

Mauger is still head coach so you'd assume it would be someone who he is happy to work with.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 02 Jan 2017, 1:41 pm

eirebilly wrote:
Welly wrote:
eirebilly wrote:

I don't remember that he was so successful with Clermont, don't believe he was there long enough to make his mark. My concern is that he only knows the in depth workings of Leicester and may struggle to adapt to another club's culture fast enough. He is, without a doubt, a very good coach so I hope he does very well wherever he goes.

He was there for a couple of years. He was popular enough for them to offer him the DOR job a few years ago which is how he got his long term deal at Tigers (we didn't want to lose him).

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 02 Jan 2017, 1:43 pm

Fair enough Sam, was unaware that he was offered the DOR job at Clermont.

Wish him the best but still feel the timing of it is very poor.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 02 Jan 2017, 1:49 pm

Yeh and he set up an academy exchange program with Clermont was very popular.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Mon 02 Jan 2017, 1:49 pm

Think Stuart Lancaster would fit well.
He wasn't a bad England coach, and Leinster are better this year (weither that is gone to him or not, or how much) but he cetainly has enchanced his image there.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 02 Jan 2017, 1:58 pm

Kingshu wrote:Think Stuart Lancaster would fit well.
He wasn't a bad England coach, and Leinster are better this year (weither that is gone to him or not, or how much) but he cetainly has enchanced his image there.

Dear God the Leicester was would go crazy.

Never seen a coach as disliked by the Tigers fans as Lancaster.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 02 Jan 2017, 2:36 pm

As a Saints guy, I would like to feel happy to see Leicester is some disarray.  But in the case of Cockers, I can't do it.  He is a true club loyalist, a good man, and bleeds Leicester colours.  I know that is more and more an artifact of the past, but I find that is something really to admire.  I wish him the best of luck.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 02 Jan 2017, 2:54 pm

Kingshu wrote:Think Stuart Lancaster would fit well.

He'd probably be booed at his first home game. Do not underestimate how badly the Welford Road crowd would take his appointment. Many of the Crumbie stand think Cockers is a modernist radical in terms of playing style. The appointment of Lancaster would be about as popular an appointment as Voldemort. Especially after the RWC and Farrell love in.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Mon 02 Jan 2017, 3:07 pm

Although another Saints guy I too I'm sorry to see him gone. A true character, I admire his honesty and loyalty, and feel he is a good man. Think the league will be a worse place without him if he does in fact go abroad for a spell.

Disagree with some though saying you shouldn't get rid of a DOR mid season. If you already know you are going to replace them then keeping them on until the end of the season can make recruitment for the following season very hard. Either the new guy coming in doesn't get a say on who is brought in for when they start or the outgoing DOR is completely undermined by the board negotiating with players not of his choosing. Then the writing is obviously on the wall and the club will suffer.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by mid_gen Mon 02 Jan 2017, 4:25 pm

I would be very happy to see Cockers join Quins next season and put a rocket up the backside of our underperforming squad!

mid_gen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 02 Jan 2017, 4:33 pm

I can't blame the board for feeling forced to make a change, but it's gutting to see him go.

I love the man, will never forget the look on his face after the win against Wasps at the Ricoh.

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 02 Jan 2017, 9:04 pm

Listening to the local radio report, they seem to think Mauger is going to be given until the end of the season to show that he should be the next DOR. Maybe we'll bring in a forwards coach in the short term until the summer when they'll make a full decision?

I expect to see a more expansive Leicester under Mauger.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 02 Jan 2017, 11:52 pm

This is what I posted after the loss to Sarries and pretty much sums up my views today too:

Some grubby wee oink wrote:Sitting in 5th, especially 5 points behind Bath in 4th, is the pressure builder for Cockers.

That and the big European losses away of course. Those are countered by the two home wins and a torrid group to be drawn in though.

My view of Cockers remains very much the same as it has been for a couple of seasons. I think he does a good job in a difficult position. Add up the financial difficulties compared to rivals (no Toomua injury replacement is very telling), huge expectations from a generation of fans accustomed to success and an academy in need of some changes to make the most of it's talent and catchment area.

He may not be the greatest coach or the best manager, his uncompromising style with both is well known to rub some up the wrong way.

However he has done a better job than I believe most would with the same pressures around the position. All coaches have a shelf life and Cockers may well be reaching his at Tigers but until someone suggests a better replacement (who the club can realistically line up) then I'm happy for him to continue.

The lack of a replacement being announced doesn't inspire me with confidence.

I also fear that this will lead to another season of chopping and changing of other back room staff, rebuilding, new game plans, etc.

It's an understandable decision because the players are performing as less than the sum of their parts. The amount Cockers did at a club with many 'conference room' issues was phenomenal though and I think the scale of work he did behind the scenes (i.e. not with the players or coaches) will show with him gone. Hopefully someone will take that slack but Tigers are currently a club operating on a very different model to those they are competing with. It is also a club where almost all suggestions are met by resistance from somewhere.

If a clean up of the coaching staff is needed then a bit of febreze amongst the suits wouldn't go amiss either.

As for now I'd just like to say thanks to Cockers on what has been a life time at the club for him. Both as a player and coach his dedication, honesty and love for the club and game can't have been questioned. Whilst Tigers might end up better off with a new coach I reckon he'll be a presence that is missed in the Prem overall.

During the BT documentary episode on Tigers last season Cockers came out with  a terrific line saying, "I'm just a carpenter who happened to play rugby and now this is my life". That's an attitude that sums up the guy perfectly.

He's an excellent forwards coach and I fully expect he will go onto further success leading a different pack in the near future.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 03 Jan 2017, 12:04 am

Surprised with the timing but it had to happen.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Tue 03 Jan 2017, 7:47 am

Cockerill has had a lot of bad luck but, from an outsiders point of view, his player contract management has seemed a little odd.

Tigers supporters have taken me to task before when I mention it, but not giving George Ford more starts seemed short-sighted at the time, but even more so when he decided to join his dad, and then Toby Food left.

A lot of teams lose players to injury but Cockerill kept renewing the likes of Croft and Manu while cutting people like Waldrom, who has proven to be physically resilient, and a consistent performer for Exeter.

The Eggchasers podcast recently suggested that rugby hasn't completely worked out the job demarcation between Director of Rugby and Head Coach roles. It's a full time job staying on top of how you manage your budget between new signings, contract renewals, and bringing through academy players. In US professional sports, a General Manager is in charge of "people, profits and press". He hires coaches and players, but usually isn't selecting the teams.

In a post above, King Carlos says Cockerill was doing a lot of work that will only be appreciated now he's gone. Perhaps he shouldn't have been doing all that work. It might have been better for all concerned to have had a clearer demarcation.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Tue 03 Jan 2017, 8:24 am

TBF Croft took a big pay cut I blieve and Manu was 24, whereas Waldrom was 31.

With respect to egg chasers podcast which is very entertaining, they talk a fair amount of rubbish aswell (JB love affair with Sale proving it) a lot of the stuff you pointed out like contract etc get handled by the CEO at Tigers

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Tue 03 Jan 2017, 8:25 am

Firstly the guy is a true club man in every sense, and regardless of what people think of him as a human or as a coach/leader its a loss to the game that we have moved further away from that ideal. Likely Tigers will see a further clear out of the " old boys" from the backroom staff. Tigers have prided themselves for many years on recruiting from within and having still even have some second generation players around the squad. Cockerill embodies what club rugby used to be about.
OK he's also a bit of t1t at times.

In terms of his sacking it shouldn't be any great surprise. Hes done remarkably well to hold the job as long as he has.
There wasn't strong support for him from much of the board when he got it after taking on the interim post. Theres a faction that has long wanted to break the traditional club mentality, despite some poor flirtations with "big name" foreign coaches. Early results forced their hand a bit.

But Cockerill hasn't sustained that early success, and despite a good run in Europe last year has largely failed to make Tigers competitive in the HC. The knock out stages have become a rarity. The last few seasons they've increasingly struggled to be a big player in The Jeff, and whilst no other club comes close to their level of consistency in making the playoffs that record looks in serious danger this year and its a long time since they've look like champions.

The academy kids have not come through in the way they did in the Youngs/Croft days. That decline may not be Cockerills fault, but its on his watch. Maybe they haven't bust the cap in the way the likes of Saracens and Bath have, but teams like Exeter have managed to compete with Tigers and retain sensible finances. Maybe in some years he's been unlucky with injuries, but you can only ride that excuse for so long.

Changes have been made in the backroom structure to support him, and its paid off with further gradual decline. Yes its hardly a terrible season by mist clubs standards but its not all about this one year, Hes been in place for a long time now and whats there is his. The early success could be partly attributed to the foundations laid by others.

Its certainly not as controversial as the way they parted company with Dean Richards off the back of one (relatively) bad season.

This has been on the cards for a long time. How much the "toxic backroom culture" stuff was real I don't know, it smacked of factions trying to undermine him and look for excuses to push him out. Regardless of whether there was a bit too much shouting at people for the modern sensitive players its really the results and play that matter, and Tigers have been pretty bobbins at times year. By all accounts the Exeter defeat was especially limp, without mentioning a couple of their away fixtures in the HC. Even in victory thyve rarely looked convincing.

Changing coach ( or DOR) isn't a magic bullet of course, but I can see how why this had to happen at some point.

Sad in many ways, but no great shock.

My big worry now is some of the names being bandied around....Lancaster? Shocked

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Tue 03 Jan 2017, 9:13 am

What is Matt Taylor contract like with Glasgow currently?

He would be a good assistant coach to bring in.

(See he is out of contract next season).

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Tue 03 Jan 2017, 10:50 am

It's very sad and I have huge respect for Cockerill - but if a player was performing to the standard Cockerill appears to be, I think Cockerill would decide it was time for them to be released. And that for me is all there is to it. The pressure is on the board now to get the right replacement, and if they fail at that then think about what to do about their own failings.

However, Cockerill could look on this as an opportunity. As England will be wanting a new (probably English) manager in about 3 years time - if he goes and gets himself some international experience, and can improve as a coach, he has a real opportunity to make the case that he's the man for that job.

Big

Back to top Go down

Post by rosbif Tue 03 Jan 2017, 12:08 pm

Should think he is far down the list for the England job, he has taken a top performing team to mid table mediocrity which the other clubs should thank him for. Also the number of players lost like Ford or the Exeter trio Salvi/Parling(probably right to let him go) and over the hill "Thomas the Tank" ( 46 tries in 65 matches for Exeter) shows lack of judgement. The biggest club in the UK should be doing much better.

rosbif

http://www.brittanygite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hugehandoff Tue 03 Jan 2017, 12:50 pm

As a critic basing his views on the ITV highlights this season (therefore speaking with real depth of knowledge) and on all the press reports it seems to me that Cockerill has done a similar job to which Lancaster did with England. By that I mean take a side based on forward domination and try and make them more expansive, creative and able to score tries. That appears to have come at the expense of their forward dominance and in their clarity of how they play the game. Mauger was clearly the signing to move them forward in their attacking play and currently they are caught between two stools. Either continue the process or do an Eddie Jones and immediately ensure your forward platform is fully restored before continuing to develop the try scoring ability. I would at least like to see an Englishman get the top job.

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 03 Jan 2017, 1:02 pm

rosbif wrote:Should think he is far down the list for the England job, he has taken a top performing team to mid table mediocrity  which the other clubs should thank him for. Also the number of players lost like Ford or the Exeter trio Salvi/Parling(probably right to let him go) and over the hill  "Thomas the Tank" ( 46 tries in 65 matches for Exeter) shows lack of judgement. The biggest club in the UK should be doing much better.

TTE I wasn't fussed about seeing go. He is only interested in the attacking game. Still the same at Chiefs, see their slump when both Salvi and Armand were unavailable to cover his work rate in the loose. Parling a great servant but past his best. Salvi was a loss but we took a gamble on bringing in a link minded openside as opposed to a purely defensive one. A risk that was worth taking.

Ford left because he wanted to work with his dad. Cockers publicly said he offered the same cash as Bath and had been giving him starts since he was what 16?

O'Connor was the thorn in the side of our academy development.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Tue 03 Jan 2017, 1:23 pm

Go and be a scrum coach for O'Shea with Italy.
It has seemed that Cockers has always come under pressure when Tigers have a poor start to the season - but this was one tight squeeze too many. I agree with many that he has been particularly unlucky this season with injuries.
Like Mid_Gen I would happily see him at Quins instead of John Kingston (would work well with Rowntree). But cant see the Quins board giving JK the heave-ho this season.
For Cockers it wouldn't be the worst thing to have half a season off!

As a replacement, heard that Pat Lam was leaving Connaught to take over Bristol next season - I wonder if he would want to still go to Brizzle if they were relegated! Tigers would do well to swoop on that and as a contingency lure him to Tigers as DoR. I think there are many sides that would benefit from Pat's experience.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Tue 03 Jan 2017, 1:27 pm

Pat Lam made it pretty clear he's going to Bristol regardless of what happens this season, due to the enormous amount of money they are offering him and the security it will bring his family in future. He won't be changing his mind.

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Tue 03 Jan 2017, 1:36 pm

Ah, scuppers that theory....Fair point though.
Andy Robinson for Tigers DoR? Cant see that being more popular than Bomber!

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Tue 03 Jan 2017, 2:02 pm

I have a list of wants, possibles and likely but not wanted.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Tue 03 Jan 2017, 2:10 pm

I wouldve had Neil Back on the wants list but I think hes scuppered his chances with a poor showing on Masterchef.

Joking aside its a pity they let him and Andy Key go. They did great things at Leeds before being shafted. A bit irrelavnyt now mind, its lomng water under the bridge and both are well out of the loop.
Dean Richards on the other hand .... who wouldnt want a 3 times sacked DOR? Whistle

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 03 Jan 2017, 3:00 pm

Three most worrying rumours;

1. MOC - please sweet lord above no. Back to the predictable and attritional rugby with absolutely no opportunities to be given to young prospects.
2. Lancaster - he's be booed at his first home game by the Crumbie.
3. White - after seeing how he destroyed Montpellier in the eyes of the fans I'd rather he didn't bring his truck load of mercenaries over here and do the same at Tigers.

Most promising rumours;

1. Gustard - that defence and aggression, yes please.
2. Meyer - started slowly but I could see what he wanted to do last time, he laid the foundations for Cockers early success.
3. Rowntree - Tigers at heart and knows how to sort out the set piece, not sure he's ready to head up the ship though.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Tue 03 Jan 2017, 4:09 pm

Wonder if Ben Ryan might be interested in the backs coach role if Mauger goes.

Him and Gibson would be high on my backs coaches list.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 03 Jan 2017, 4:41 pm

I like Ben Ryan he comes up with very different solutions to squad weaknesses. His let's not have a breakdown work with Fiji was awesome. Can't see Tigers board going for that though.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 03 Jan 2017, 4:59 pm

Meyer seems the logical choice although I heard he struggled to settle in the Leicester area last time? Gustard I really can't see and not sure if Rowntree would be an improvement.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by broadlandboy Tue 03 Jan 2017, 5:19 pm

Meyer liked Leicester but Family problems (IIRC an illness) back in SA meant he felt he had to return there

broadlandboy

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 03 Jan 2017, 5:30 pm

Rowntree would be absolutely perfect for the Tigers. I do think that the Tigers will be able to get a top quality DoR as they are a prestigious club.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 03 Jan 2017, 6:06 pm

eirebilly wrote:Rowntree would be absolutely perfect for the Tigers. I do think that the Tigers will be able to get a top quality DoR as they are a prestigious club.

There's a very finite amount of money. The club have not been able to sign injury dispensation players this season because of the off field developments. There won't be a big war chest for recruiting a big name pike Bristol and Pat Lam.

With Meyer I think it was a combination of a serious failing in the health of his wife's parents whilst his own had health problems as well. He's mentioned previously that he'd fallen out of love with rugby before joining Leicester and that the short stint revitalised him. He also mentioned meeting up with the Youngs boys post international games in the past. Whether he wants another high profile rugby role after the Boks debacle.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 04 Jan 2017, 10:30 am

I see Eddie Jones has stated that he will not close the door on Cockers as a forwards coach for England... Great news for Cockers but how does that make Borthwick feel? Indirectly, is Jones is saying that Borthwick's position is under threat?
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Wed 04 Jan 2017, 10:36 am

I cant see Borthwick being under threat, hes done a fanstic job. oIf anything it suggests hes due a promotion or Cockerill to be part of his forwards coaching team.

the actual quote is a bit odd even if you get past the giggling over cockerills name and the phrase "well endowed" .. On one hand hes saying we have loads of forwards coaches and on the other saying that means he could get cockerill.

Borthwicks also going to be off with the Lions for a bit, so it may be they look to bolster resources in his absence on a temporary basis.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 04 Jan 2017, 10:50 am

Eddie Jones likes his guest coaches. He could bring in Cockers for a short spell to target a specific area where Eddie wants to see improvement or additional input. As Gooseberry says he'll also need cover whilst the Lions is on

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Wed 04 Jan 2017, 11:16 am

Actually the more you think about it a temporary post makes sense for both Cockerill and England. Its not ofetn that a coach with his credentials pops up with half a season to spare. Being involved with England wouldnt harm his chances of picking up a full time club job elsewhere.

It would just be fing typical that he ends up at Wasps as a coach getting paid twice as much though.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next