The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: The Masters - The Elimination Game: Notes from the Ballwasher

+27
Diggers
GPB
sirbenson
puligny
wiretapper
1GrumpyGolfer
navyblueshorts
raycastleunited
NedB-H
JAS
robopz
I'm never wrong
super_realist
beninho
SmithersJones
Be_the_ball
pedro
Nay
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
Good Golly I'm Olly
owen10ozzy
EmmDee57
Humpyd
Jermaine2015
sportform
Shotrock
Faldono1fan
31 posters

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: The Masters - The Elimination Game: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 5 Empty PGA Tour: The Masters - The Elimination Game: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 04 Apr 2017, 2:55 pm

First topic message reminder :

OK, We haven't done this for a couple of years, going through the field of 94 golfers in completely arbitrary and biased fashion until we find a winner we can be happy with. Inspired by Andy North.

No consideration is being made for the conditions which may be influenced by the weather forecast. Storms on Monday closed the course, should be pleasant today, but more storms expected Wednesday. Perhaps the SubAir will presumably cope unless it blows a gasket through overuse, but it sounds as if fairways will still be soft. Then cool and quite windy for Rounds 1 and 2, fine and calmer for the weekend, greens drying out and running at 20 on the Stimpmeter.

1).No amateur has won The Masters and that won't change this week. Five golfers eliminated.

2).And Augusta first-timers haven't won since Fuzzy almost 40 years ago. That gets rid of 14 more, but this is an impressive crop of debutants including Fleetwood, Hadwin, Noren, Pieters & Rahm. Sorry guys, maybe next year.

3).Old Masters and Past Masters: This year in particular, the over-forties crowd who have flourished in the past, have been put into their place by the Young Guns. No-one over 40 has won the Green Jacket since Fatty O'Meara in 1998 and I don't see that trend changing, although Mickelson would undoubtedly bet against that trend. Green Zimmer frames for Phil, Lee, Henrik and 20 others, including 38-y-o Trevor Immelman who won't be in contention. Will he?

For those scoring at home, that's 42 down, 52 to go.

4).We haven't seen an Asian-born Major winner and who's to say Matsuyama won't be the first? Just not this week, Hideki, and you can commiserate with Ben An, James Hahn, Ikeda, Kevin Na (got to get rid of him somehow) and Tanihara. That's another six deported, 46 to go.

5).Continental Europe hasn't produced a winner since Jose Maria 18 years ago and that won't change this year, much as I think Rafa will have a good week. That's five more gone, plus I'll throw in Shane Lowry if my back can take it. 40 remain.

6).Lightning won't strike twice, willett? Very thin ice here as I really like Justin Rose to have a fine week. Good form all year and this may be his focus, much as Rio was last year. But the rest of the British contingent (including Rory) will drown their sorrows with the Patrons, and that's another 9 down the drain. 31 still playing.

7).I like winners and recent winners even more. That sees the field narrow considerably if I eliminate all those who haven't won this year or last - 11 more leave the premises, and then there were 20 (hate to see Kisner go).

8).Some high-flyers from last year have been under the radar this. Augusta National is no place to rediscover your game so adios to Jason Day, Spieth (but he'll surely be around the lead, won't he?), Scott, Reed, Bubba, 3 x Saffers, Walker, Koepka, Berger, Moore. That's a dozen to the exit, and an elite eight remain.

9).Most Masters winners are terrific putters, and Justin Thomas (48th in putting), Brendan Steele (102nd) and Johnny Vegas (164th) won't get it done.

10).Which leaves DJ, Fowler, Henley, Leishman and Sneds.
Sneds ticks most of the boxes, not least being someone who embraces the "Augusta" thing. Not in top form though.
Fowler still has that double-bogey in his DNA.
So this leaves us with a top 3 of Russell Henley, Marc Leishman and Dustin Johnson. All recent winners of course, but nothing wrong with a hot golfer. I can't see past DJ; he may be unsettled by the wind early in the tournament but soft fairways won't hurt him at all.  
Best of the rest: Berger, Oosthuizen, Rose, Spieth.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Masters - The Elimination Game: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 5 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Masters - The Elimination Game: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Diggers Fri 07 Apr 2017, 6:05 pm

Despite my mellowing, I'd still happily punch anyone who uses the word "patrons".

Diggers

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Masters - The Elimination Game: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 5 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Masters - The Elimination Game: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by super_realist Fri 07 Apr 2017, 6:34 pm

Agree Diggers. I also cannot stand the American commentators doing the "highlights" and the video commentary on the Leaderboard videos.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 07 Apr 2017, 6:40 pm

Anyone know what happened to Sergio on #10? Originally shown, and reported, as a bogey, now a triple.
Strange.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Fri 07 Apr 2017, 6:43 pm

Just home, whats happened to Shane? picard

Looks like very tough conditions, a few car crashes out there!

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Fri 07 Apr 2017, 6:48 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Anyone know what happened to Sergio on #10? Originally shown, and reported, as a bogey, now a triple.
Strange.

On the Track feature on the app, it doesn't show his shots?!?! Thats the only hole it doesn't give data for?! Could be a penalty in there somewhere...

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 07 Apr 2017, 6:52 pm

Be_the_ball wrote:
kwinigolfer wrote:Anyone know what happened to Sergio on #10? Originally shown, and reported, as a bogey, now a triple.
Strange.

On the Track feature on the app, it doesn't show his shots?!?! Thats the only hole it doesn't give data for?! Could be a penalty in there somewhere...

Seems even the press doesn't know. "If the guy leading the tournament had a triple bogey but no-one was able to watch it, did it actually happen?" From golfchannel.com

EDIT: Now there are reports that officials are investigating some sort of issue regarding a "provisional" ball - not clear what, but Shotrock and McLaren have both called in to Augusta.

Rules issues seem to follow Westwood around, DJ one year, Sergio the next.

Meanwhile Shane is exploding.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 07 Apr 2017, 7:26 pm

Pea brain!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 07 Apr 2017, 7:28 pm

Mess by the Leaderboard. Just a 5 for Garcia, not a 7

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 07 Apr 2017, 7:34 pm

If Shane is exploding we'd all better take cover.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 07 Apr 2017, 7:37 pm

Reminds me of the gas buildup in a beached whale Diggers.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Fri 07 Apr 2017, 7:42 pm

Reprieve for Sergio on 10, two shots given back. Big big moment..

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 07 Apr 2017, 8:09 pm

Rory isn't playing the par 5's like a Masters champion.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 07 Apr 2017, 8:16 pm

Mac, have you got a forfeit ready if "Pea Head" wins?

He's joint leader.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 07 Apr 2017, 8:41 pm

Can you think oh one for me?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 07 Apr 2017, 8:46 pm

Maybe eat fried chicken for a week?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 07 Apr 2017, 8:48 pm

If you really want that to be my forfeit but I will admit that I love fried chicken.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 07 Apr 2017, 8:57 pm

I just wish people would cut the cr*p about Sunday being Seve's birthday and if it happens to be Sergio's (or Rahm's) day, celebrate it for what a performance it would be, and not tie it in to Seve

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 07 Apr 2017, 9:04 pm

McLaren wrote:If you really want that to be my forfeit but I will admit that I love fried chicken.

You have to invite a dozen random black American tourists if they'd like to join you.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 07 Apr 2017, 9:05 pm

Agree Davie, Seve's long dead. Get over it people.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 07 Apr 2017, 9:08 pm

Sneaky 2nd green jacket for handsome Adam?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 07 Apr 2017, 9:12 pm

Watson getting his putts lined up like he's on the LPGA. Plank.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 07 Apr 2017, 9:14 pm

:picard:
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Fri 07 Apr 2017, 9:21 pm

super_realist wrote:Agree Davie, Seve's long dead. Get over it people.

I'm glad you're not a medical professional Super Laugh

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 07 Apr 2017, 9:34 pm

It's a bit tiresome BTB isn't it? Constantly trying to shoehorn a Seve "influence" into every tournament. He's brown bread.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Fri 07 Apr 2017, 9:53 pm

super_realist wrote:It's a bit tiresome BTB isn't it? Constantly trying to shoehorn a Seve "influence" into every tournament. He's brown bread.

I'd be surprised if the players actually knew it. Commentators will say anything to burn up a bit of time and play to viewers heart strings.

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Fri 07 Apr 2017, 9:55 pm

What are Pieters boots like? Would anyone wear them?

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 07 Apr 2017, 10:00 pm

Not even Rickie Bumfluff would wear them.

Chances of a European win look pretty strong. Just a few septics in the way and Rose sneaking up unnoticed.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Fri 07 Apr 2017, 10:26 pm

Yeah big time, if the mild forecast turns out to be true it could be very low scoring on the weekend. Tomorrow will be very interesting.

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 07 Apr 2017, 11:01 pm

Mr. Mickelson, Would you like some Mustard with that Hot Dog?

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 07 Apr 2017, 11:25 pm

Our GB guys are mostly doing a Brexit - from the leaderboard anyway.

Well done for the Diamond from Antwerp.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 07 Apr 2017, 11:45 pm

Can't believe Hootie and the Blowfish allow a 57 year old play the Masters.

Last year a 58 yr old was in the penultimate group on Sunday.

This year a 57 yr old is the top 10 going into the weekend.

Their playing privileges should be revoked so GMAC and Barnrat can get into the tournament.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 08 Apr 2017, 12:17 am

GPB wrote:Can't believe Hootie and the Blowfish allow a 57 year old play the Masters.

Their playing privileges should be revoked so GMAC and Barnrat can get into the tournament.

I can't believe super will have a comeback to this.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sat 08 Apr 2017, 12:29 am

In fairness, I don't think anyone's saying players that are still competitive should not be playing. I think the point made was that there are clearly some players that will stink the place out yet there are good players that are denied a chance to compete. This is The Masters, if people didn't care they wouldn't offer their opinion.

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 08 Apr 2017, 12:53 am

And, as if to emphasise B_t_b's point,
From the Golf Channel (yawn, again):

Most cuts made in Masters history:
37: Nicklaus
30: Player
29: Couples
27: Floyd

Looks like Jason Day is out with a marker on Saturday. Do you sense a sick note coming on? Hope not, there's plenty of golf to go yet.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 08 Apr 2017, 1:36 am

Not the strongest field ever for next week's Heritage, kinda rescued by the European Tour:
Rafa, Donald, Fitz, Hatton, Beef, Kaymer, Knox, Lingmerth, Lowry, McDool, Molinari, Poults, Willett, etc.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 08 Apr 2017, 1:55 am

What about EuroTour players like Kevin Na and Brandon Grace and Anirban Lahiri.

or are they part of the "etc."

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 08 Apr 2017, 2:37 am

Quite.
Actually wasn't sure of the status of Grace & Lahiri (plus a couple of Europeans) and couldn't give a monkey's about Na.

Jason Day tees off at 10.20, presumably with Jeff Knox as a marker. Hope they don't hold up the field.

I'll wait a few pairs and pick up Matty Fitz & Snedeker. Some very attractive twosomes in prospect.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 08 Apr 2017, 7:12 am

McLaren wrote:
GPB wrote:Can't believe Hootie and the Blowfish allow a 57 year old play the Masters.

I can't believe super will have a comeback to this.

Actually Mac, I do, for every Couples, there's ten Woosnam's or Lyle's. So it is time to put a limit on these hackers embarrassing themselves and in addition make it a full event.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 08 Apr 2017, 1:32 pm

Where I reckon The Masters misses the boat with its field is by conspicuously failing to honour winners of great Championships around the world. The Aussie & South African Opens would be my first choice, but add the very top level European & Asian tournaments too - perhaps only half a dozen in total.

It's proper parky in Augusta first thing this morning, close to freezing, but it should grow into a lovely weekend with the wind having settled down.
First action about 10.30-ish and hopefully Pompey will be a goal or two up by then.

Let's just hope the dry air doesn't inspire the Hooties to ramp the stimp up to 20.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 08 Apr 2017, 1:48 pm

It may not be an exemption, but the current Aussie Open is in the Masters field (and currently T10th.)

I don't know why the Masters should give the South African Open more respect than the Sunshine Tour and the top ranked South Africans. The SA Open is no longer the Sunshine Tour "flagship" event and the three top ranked South Africans couldn't even bother to play it (Grace, Oosty, Schwartzel) a few months ago.

super_realist wrote:Actually Mac, I do, for every Couples, there's ten Woosnam's or Lyle's. So it is time to put a limit on these hackers embarrassing themselves and in addition make it a full event.

You already opined that only 30 players can win the Masters, why do you want a full field of 150 players when only 30 can win.

IMO the root cause of all this Masters angst criticisms is xenophobic anti-Americanism

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 08 Apr 2017, 2:03 pm

Perhaps you've made my point, GPB. Matt Jones would have been an extremely deserving Aussie qualifier a year or two ago.
Just make it more embracing of the world of golf, not just the Hooties' idea of American exceptionalism.

To moi, and probably only moi, The Masters is a good golf tournament which goes out of its way to exemplify so much of what I don't care for about "America", very little of what's so good about the place.

Lyle, O'Meara and Woosnam will all be 60 by next year's tournament, high time for them to say goodbye. So will Bernhard but imagine he'll stick around until professional pride sends him packing; right now, usually competitive and that's OK.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 08 Apr 2017, 2:32 pm

Unlike PGA Champions (who also have lifetime exemptions) former Masters Champions are not taking a spot away from a current player.

50 & 60 something PGA Champions generally don't play the PGA because they are taking a spot from highly ranked player. O'Meara, Woosie, Lyle are not taking a spot from anyone.

Part of the 'aura' of the Masters is getting that invite. If they start opening the field to 120+ players, that 'aura' starts to get diluted. The 'journey' to Augusta is just as important as the destination.

Scott Gregory got to play with Sandy Lyle this week and future Amateur Champs will probably get to play with Willett when Lyle does decide to pack it in. Toto Gana, the Latino Americas Champ, got to play with Grillo (I though he would play with Cabrera).

Its the one golf tournament where the Past and the Present and the Future meet. You can see that in 36 hole leaderboard. (With all due respect to Charles Dickens and A Christmas Carol)

The Ghosts of Masters Past (Couples and Mickelson)
The Ghosts of Masters Present (Spieth and Scott)
The Ghosts of Masters Future (Pieters and Rahm)

Add in a couple of real ghosts that are haunting ANGC this week (Arnie and Seve) and some tragic characters of Sergio and Rose.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 08 Apr 2017, 2:44 pm

Just like The Open Championship, which also bends over backwards to embrace the world of golf.

Not sure why Justin Rose is a "tragic character" but maybe I've got the wrong Rose.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 08 Apr 2017, 2:59 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Just like The Open Championship, which also bends over backwards to embrace the world of golf.

Except Amateur Golf.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sat 08 Apr 2017, 4:42 pm

GPB wrote:
kwinigolfer wrote:Just like The Open Championship, which also bends over backwards to embrace the world of golf.

Except Amateur Golf.
6 at the Masters and 4 at the Open. Not that different.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 08 Apr 2017, 5:02 pm

6 out of 94

4 out of 156 .. most of the "open" exemptions go to players playing in professional tournaments.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sat 08 Apr 2017, 5:08 pm

Not all bad for Danny Willett today, The Blades have auto qualified for the Championship Bubbly

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 08 Apr 2017, 6:19 pm

All the ups and downs so far are from S.Yorks.

Not many ups or downs in Augusta yet; J'Day the only one on the move so far.

An opportunity for players to get themselves into position at least for a Top 12 result which means you're on Billy Payne's rsvp list for next year, but no-one taking advantage. But ten straight pars to open for Ross Fish and a couple of birds coming in would be just the job.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 08 Apr 2017, 7:07 pm

GPB wrote:6 out of 94

4 out of 156 .. most of the "open" exemptions go to players playing in professional tournaments.

Does it matter, surely the 4 best amateurs is more than enough. Quite frankly one would be enough, we want (or at least I want) the best players and they are basically the pros.
I do want to see the future, the present and the past. But the future, present and past (or rather declining) of the current/active generation of pros.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 08 Apr 2017, 7:35 pm

Super

Have you got your usual fiver on kjeldsen?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next