The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Covid-19 community thread

+45
Good Golly I'm Olly
MrInvisible
guildfordbat
Pie
king_carlos
Galted
McLaren
dyrewolfe
super_realist
IanBru
Valleyboy
alfie
TightHEAD
Samo
demosthenes
SecretFly
TRUSSMAN66
chris_501
Old Man
Luke
BamBam
Duty281
Dolphin Ziggler
mikey_dragon
Soul Requiem
Pr4wn
tigertattie
dynamark
Irish Londoner
yappysnap
Rugby Fan
BlueCoverman
WELL-PAST-IT
TheMildlyFranticLlama
lostinwales
Pete330v2
No 7&1/2
Pal Joey
Pot Hale
BigGee
LondonTiger
RiscaGame
jimbopip
RDW
49 posters

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

The Covid-19 community thread  - Page 2 Empty The Covid-19 community thread

Post by RDW Thu 19 Mar 2020, 9:37 am

First topic message reminder :

With not much sport going on I want to create a thread for anything to do with the global pandemic.

Feel free to use it however you want.

If you need to release stress or anxiety about what's going on to a bunch of strangers who don't know you then go ahead.

If you're self isolating and want some benign chat then crack on.

If you're struggling and looking for anyone to help with anything then reach out here and see if anyone can help out.

This may not be used or it may kick off and help someone out - either way please be nice. We're literally all in it together!

Last edited by RDW on Sun 03 Jan 2021, 1:30 am; edited 3 times in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

The Covid-19 community thread  - Page 2 Empty Re: The Covid-19 community thread

Post by RDW Thu 19 Mar 2020, 9:33 pm

guestalt_physicality wrote:Unfortunately I have flu like symptoms and am self isolating as a precaution. Already feeling better but was touch and go yesterday with breathing difficulties and I planned on phoning the 111 service today if it got worse. Irrespective of whether I have it or not the only sensible thing to do is stay away from people for a fortnight to be on the safe side. My thoughts are with those more vulnerable than I am and for everyone who has and will lose loved ones.  

Sorry to hear that. As much as you don't want to inconvenience people I would definitely recommend phoning 111 for advice if you have bad symptoms - this really isn't something to mess around with.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Thu 19 Mar 2020, 11:54 pm

Take care, guestalt.

I'm based in Tokyo here, where we had a sense of crisis three weeks ago, after the government ordered schools closed.

We haven't seen the kind of spike in casualties that other countries have, which is leading people to wonder if there is misreporting, or we are just running slower on that count because we acted earlier.

One of the unfortunate consequences of nothing happening, is that there's some evidence people are dropping their guards. This is cherry blossom season, which usually sees large numbers of boozy outdoor parties. The numbers are certainly well down on normal years but people are still out and about and restaurants are mostly still operating.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 20 Mar 2020, 2:23 am

RDW wrote:So I'll kick things off.

As some of you know, last week me and my wife emigrated to Sydney. We made it in before Australia announced 14 day self isolation for anyone who arrives in the country, and they've only just announced no one will be allowed in the country tomorrow other than Aussie citizens. We can't comprehend how much of a mess we'd be in if we were flying out this week as we'd quit our jobs and had moved out our flat so would have been stuck in the UK with no income or place to live!

I started my new job this week so have some security, but my wife is meant to be finding a job out here. She's an experienced professional so would normally walk into a new job but they all seem to be disappearing and she's not hearing back from anyone. To add to the complication our temporary accommodation runs out in a few weeks so we need to find somewhere to live, not helped by my wife not being able to find work to contribute to the rental affordability checks they do! The food and toilet roll situation here really is grim - we're really not looking forward to having to fend for ourselves when the temporary accommodation ends. I genuinely haven't seen a single bog roll in a shop since we got here.

What's most difficult however is being so far from home and knowing that if something did go wrong with our families we probably won't be able to get home. Even if we did get home we then wouldn't be able to get back into Australia...

Watching the UK news is tough and I can't imagine what it's like in the UK. We may find out for ourselves in the coming weeks...!

We're also battling a moral dilemma on our minds, as we're actually really gutted that our big move - which has been months in the making - has fallen completely flat. We had loads of plans of things we wanted to do but they're not going to happen anymore. The dilemma being we know there's people far worse off than is so we don't have anything to complain about really.

So all I can do is keep going and try and keep my wife's spirits up - she's really struggling TBH so I'm trying to keep her busy and give her some tasks to do every day.

That's all from me - as I said there's people way worse off than we are so I feel guilty complaining about these things, but that's the life everyone is leading just now. Stay safe everyone and I really hope everyone's worst fears aren't realised over the coming weeks and months.

Sorry to hear all that RDW.

Me and my partner moved to NZ two years ago now are in a similar, if much more stable position to you. We at least have settled jobs, and my employers are very supportive to the whole workforce, but likewise if anything happened to family in the UK then we'd have to stay here, as leaving would mean we couldn't return.

Thankfully NZ hasn't been hit anywhere near as badly as the rest of the world, we still have loo roll for a start! There are only a few cases here and where I am in the South Island there's only a handful. So fingers crossed we stay safe from the worst. Good luck to everyone in the UK and the rest of the world, it looks crazy from what i've seen on tv.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 20 Mar 2020, 8:28 am

Chuffing hell, is it really two years since you moved Yappy? Feels like only yesterday.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 20 Mar 2020, 9:47 am

The wandering daughter is thankfully back in the UK, just touched down a little while ago.

Thanks to everyone who offered assistance and moral support yesterday.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 20 Mar 2020, 9:53 am

OK roll call time;

BigGee, how are you today, how is Mrs Gee? I know you cycle London to Aberdeen everyday on your lunch hour so you should be strong enough to shrug this virus off but my memory of MrsGee is that she is petite and delicate, when Glimpsed in a Glasgow monsoon mind.Hug
guestalt_physicality are the breathing difficulties passing ? If not have you called 111?Hug

RDW, have you wiped your erse yet?oh yeah

Come on lads let's keep the spirits up.

Gee, you posted as I was two finger hitting the keyboard. :doh

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 20 Mar 2020, 10:03 am

Thanks Jim,

Yes you are right, the virus does seem to have hit the missus a bit harder than me, but somehow that seems to be my fault!

Fortunately I know better than to argue!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 20 Mar 2020, 10:10 am

BigGee wrote:The wandering daughter is thankfully back in the UK, just touched down a little while ago.

Great news Biggee.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 20 Mar 2020, 10:13 am

jimbopip wrote:OK roll call time;

BigGee, how are you today, how is Mrs Gee? I know you cycle London to Aberdeen everyday on your lunch hour so you should be strong enough to shrug this virus off but my memory of MrsGee is that she is petite and delicate, when Glimpsed in a Glasgow monsoon mind.Hug
guestalt_physicality are the breathing difficulties passing ? If not have you called 111?Hug

Mrs RDW actually managed to get bog roll today! She was very lucky in that they were stocking the shelves when she was there, and that there was a policeman literally patrolling the aisle.

She also had a touching moment with a young checkout girl who thanked her for being nice and not going crazy when she was told that there was a 2 tin limit on tinned tomatoes. There really are some ar5eholes in the world.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 20 Mar 2020, 10:18 am

RDW wrote:

Mrs RDW actually managed to get bog roll today! She was very lucky in that they were stocking the shelves when she was there, and that there was a policeman literally patrolling the aisle.

She also had a touching moment with a young checkout girl who thanked her for being nice and not going crazy when she was told that there was a 2 tin limit on tinned tomatoes. There really are some ar5eholes in the world.

I like the way you bookend your post Flounder Very Happy Little human interactions like the one Ursula had with the checkout girl are hugely important to our well being. Mind you, you say SHE has toilet paper....is she sharing?
Gee, of course it's your fault... everything is the husband's fault. Always.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 20 Mar 2020, 10:42 am

RDW wrote:
BigGee wrote:The wandering daughter is thankfully back in the UK, just touched down a little while ago.

Great news Biggee.

So she is on the tube home now, reporting that she is feeling hung over, apparently there were about 10 passengers on the plane (a jumbo jet) and so they got stuck into the free booze!

So I am going to have to put up with an ill wife and a very grumpy daughter this afternoon and I can't leave the house!

Wish me luck

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Fri 20 Mar 2020, 11:10 am

RDW wrote:

I was in our local supermarket yesterday and one the staff was wheeling a pallet of tinned vegetables along the aisle to put them on the shelf but people were tearing the plastic covers off the pallet and grabbing tins before she could reach the shelves.

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri 20 Mar 2020, 12:17 pm

I managed to get a tin of beans today, so all is well.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Fri 20 Mar 2020, 12:31 pm

My 22 year old daughter almost hysterical never had to deal with anything like.
Couple of points large parts of the economy will bomb along as normal so not everyone needs a immediate help with costs of living.Be nice to think they had a little bit of savings and resilience plus the economies can be made.
Anything consumer demand led will start to suffer quickly
Is there a positive in getting this infection done and out of the way for the young,healthy,lets say under 60s and really concentrate on keeping the elderly and sick very very isolated for a good few weeks.
Finally smoking related I would be very interested to see how many serious affected have smoking related issues .I know that will not apply to all but thinking its a big proportion .
Best wishes to al

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 20 Mar 2020, 1:24 pm

Elder daughter has been having a fantastic last day at school as they put on certain (safe distance) events to celebrate their achievements.

Now waiting on how her A levels will be awarded, but she has had her offer from Bath upgraded to unconditional today as she had put them down as her firm choice (having rejected Oxford!!)

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 20 Mar 2020, 1:57 pm

RDW wrote:Morning/Evening all,

I'm delighted - and actually quite touched - to read the posts from over night and see everyone coming together and supporting each other. We may just be a piddly rugby forum but there are some really good people here.

Please keeping using this thread as you all wish.

Lions team selections all seem a bit trivial now eh? That will all change in 12 months I'm sure!

Rugby isn’t life. Nor are our little differences of opinion.

LondonTiger will always be lamenting the good old days of Cockerill
BigGee will always be on that fence being impartial
Jimbo will always point out our grammatical errors
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 20 Mar 2020, 2:17 pm

Amazingly enough, the last three sentences makes perfect sense even though they lack full stops. 03.20.2020 20/03/2020 warning

Last edited by LondonTiger on Fri 20 Mar 2020, 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Teasing)

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Fri 20 Mar 2020, 2:27 pm

RDW's story sounds similar to mine. I live in the Philippines now and I'm really struggling with not being at home with my family. Granted, I have my wife's family here (her family are all Indian, but she grew up here) but it's just not the same. Three of my grandparents are still going and if anything happens to them, or anyone else in my family, I likely won't be able to get back.

Also, I'm very worried about security here if things go belly up. Manila is a very populous and dangerous city.

Really, really hoping that this is over relatively quickly, though I'm not optimistic.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 20 Mar 2020, 2:29 pm

jimbopip wrote:Amazingly enough, the last three sentences makes perfect sense even though they lack full stops. 03.20.2020 20/03/2020 warning

It’s a terrible habit of mine Jimbo. I have no idea why, but when I write lists, especially with bullet points, I just don't remember the full stops!

Apparently, everyone has a typing "fingerprint" that can show who has written what bit of text. Along with forgetting full stops at the end of lists, I also have a tendency to type the word "just" as "jsut" - It has something to do with left brain/right brain where one hand will work quicker than the other!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 20 Mar 2020, 2:44 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Elder daughter has been having a fantastic last day at school as they put on certain (safe distance) events to celebrate their achievements.

Now waiting on how her A levels will be awarded, but she has had her offer from Bath upgraded to unconditional today as she had put them down as her firm choice (having rejected Oxford!!)

You may have to start watching Bath a bit more often LT, change of allegiance in the air maybe?

Great place to go to Uni though, a real student town. I did an Open University summer school there many moons ago and still have fond memories. My niece is going to the other University there this autumn as well, to study music.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 20 Mar 2020, 7:21 pm

Ta BG.

Rishi Sunak's announcement today, and our promise to top everyone up to full pay if we have to close down for s but has left my staff much happier. Nice to feel like a good employer for once.

Last edited by LondonTiger on Fri 20 Mar 2020, 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Fri 20 Mar 2020, 8:32 pm

I think one of the few benefits of this may be that people will approach the good things in life - the Lions, democracy, easy access to toilet paper - with a sense of gratitude and goodwill. Anger has become common place on basically all things and it's not healthy. With any luck people will realise how lucky the vast majority of us are. I suspect that this will be one of those things that a year before one could scarce imagine and a year hence will seem rather unbelievable.
I received a call from my mother earlier today, I could tell she was worried. I asked quickly about my father, brother, extended family etc. They were all fine. So I asked what the problem was and she told me she was worried that if Boris got this right then she would have to vote for him (she is not usually an overly political woman, she gave up on politics when John Smith died). I told her that I didn't think that would be an issue for her and that, anyhow, Churchill lost the election after the second world war.

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 20 Mar 2020, 9:45 pm

If we get through this, it won't be because of Boris, who has given us 4 different messages on 4 separate days this week. It is the people in the background who are quietly steering him where he needs to go.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Sat 21 Mar 2020, 9:00 am

When they find a vaccine for this be prepared for the unedifying spectacle of world leaders trying to claim the credit for the work of thousands of scientists, who are currently working 24/7 to get this done as quickly as physically possible.

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 21 Mar 2020, 9:47 am

Well the latest from Aus:

- police had to move large crowds away from Bondi beach as it violated social distancing rules (I've seen the pictures - come on people!)

- 4 of the 5 recent cruise ships that have docked in Sydney  (literally slap bang in the middle of the city) have had people test positive, so there's been thousands of potentially infected people roaming the city. Sydneysiders really don't like these cruse ships - can't imagine they'll like them any better now!

We've been out and about this weekend looking at areas to live, but being sensible and staying well away from people. Australians definitely aren't taking things seriously judging by the number of large groups of people boozing at the bars around circular quay. They're probably people from the mega cruise ship that's currently docked there! steam

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sat 21 Mar 2020, 9:57 am

I fully understand people wanting to carry on going to work as despite the government's measures there will be worries over how easy these grants will be to obtain. The mass gatherings however all over the world are just dumb and all of those involved should forfeit any right to governmental help.

I work in the plastic industry and our sales are rocketing at the moment and we're struggling to meet the demand because of the bulk buying. A fair bulk of our customers are expecting preferential treatment so extra hours are a must at the time being. As an asthmatic with underlying health issues I was recently tested due to what I knew was just a bad cold, results were negative which left me somewhat conflicted.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 21 Mar 2020, 10:04 am

Also, NRL and AFL have kicked off again but behind closed doors. I personally think it sends out the wrong messages, but I know how important sport is to the Aussie mental psyche.

I did get annoyed earlier though when the cameras panned to a large group of blokes who had built a scaffold and were standing on it drinking beer and watching the game, very much within 1.5m of each other. The reporter lady even went over to them and the commentators were laughing and joking about it and calling them legends etc. That very much sends the wrong messages!!

I really, really hope we don't get hit has hard as Europe but it will come as a huge shock to a lot of people here if it does. The frustrating thing is they can't say they haven't been warned (assuming these people actually watch global news)

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 21 Mar 2020, 10:19 am

RDW, the government here has ordered pubs, restaurants, cinemas, gyms etc to close from last night: the news was full of slips of pubs absolutely rammed! It's not just in Oz that people seem wilfully stupid.
Sky news mentioned in an update from northern Italy that people in their30s&40s were now dying. Maybe this will force some of the non-isolators to rethink.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 21 Mar 2020, 10:22 am

RDW, is Aus not on lockdown yet? The UK is and we were one of the last to do it. I've been told we're off work now and should be getting laptops, but there aren't enough to go around. I'll be getting paid for nothing... but I'll still be bored. Gym's are shut - I didn't use mine (One Gym) much anyway because I've grown tired of working out. We have a garage-gym conversion at home though so no excuses now, I've also been trying this keto diet as 16 stone is embarrassing for me - just about managed to get the food I need last night and this morning. The eggs are always going fast though. I'm getting shape for holiday which hopefully isn't cancelled, it's mid-May!

I'm all good, just a bit bored. How's everyone doing?

I was thinking this might be good for the players. Some can possibly pro-long their careers by taking this extra time off. It gives us especially a chance to get over the injuries we are always sustaining, and a longer lay-off for some like Ellis Jenkins will no doubt be good.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 21 Mar 2020, 10:31 am

I'm still working in the office and everything is still open. Indoor venues are limited to 100 people or no more than 1 person per 4m square. There's a ban on all arrivals except Aussie citizens, who still have to self isolate.

So Aus is far from in lockdown!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 21 Mar 2020, 12:27 pm

I would not say we are in lockdown here yet either, certainly not compared to parts of Europe and even the states now.

Once the wandering daughter got home yesterday, I quickly realised that we did not have a bed or a mattress for her. We took the opportunity in her absence to start renovating the house and were planning a re-wire next week. Her bed was in storage and I had chucked the old mattress out.

We retrieved the bed last night and she slept on the sofa and my son was despatched to Ikea to buy a mattress this morning, only to find it completely closed. After a bit of searching, one was eventually sourced from a local shop but he reports that the whole world seems to be out shopping. Other than Ikea, most shops seem to be open and pretty full, certainly no social distancing there.

The only exception seem to be pharmacies, who are limiting the amounts of people in the shop at one time, with the result that lots of old people are queuing up outside the shop (without observing the recommended distance!)

I wonder if the measures announced will be nearly enough and I suspect there is a lot more to come.

We are going to try our luck with the NHS browsing hour at Tesco tomorrow morning to see if we can get some food in the house.

Wish us luck!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 21 Mar 2020, 12:33 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:

I was thinking this might be good for the players. Some can possibly pro-long their careers by taking this extra time off. It gives us especially a chance to get over the injuries we are always sustaining, and a longer lay-off for some like Ellis Jenkins will no doubt be good.

I agree with you Mikey, the sooner they just call this season off and let the players stand down properly the better. They can keep the option of the summer tests for now, though I suspect they will be canned as well.

I cancelled my Premier sports subscription yesterday in anticipation of that. I might as well save 50 quid and will resurrect it in the autumn if things get going again then (which is far from certain)

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 21 Mar 2020, 1:04 pm

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/the-astonishing-despatch-by-maxime-mbanda-on-the-front-line-in-italys-fight-against-coronavirus

How about that for an effort from Italy's Maxime Mbanda.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 21 Mar 2020, 1:21 pm

I’m really confused by the whole social distancing thing. Just been out on my bike around where I live and it’s rammed with runners, cyclists, groups of people out walking (maybe families, so not so bad), cars everywhere, even a group of lads rugby training on the local club pitches. Shops are full of people shopping and mixing. I know being outside is being encouraged and open spaces are not as bad as enclosed, plus people need to shop, but I don’t think people are quite getting it (the concept, not the virus). Or are we not quite at the level of proper isolation yet? I guess if this social distancing is not adhered to then the govt will move to the next level which will be total lockdown and police and army marshalling of the streets. Easy enough in built up cities but how will they do it in the more rural towns and villages?

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Sat 21 Mar 2020, 1:36 pm

With any luck it won't be long before government's run a full scale ad campaign with billboards and television advertisements. People need to realise that the sooner and more strictly they follow the advice the shorter this dreadful experience will be. The fact of the matter is that if everyone in the world stayed put for 5 weeks this, and most other infectious diseases, would run to their natural end. Obviously for practical reasons that is not possible. It is almost like a sort of twisted dystopian test devised to see how determined people are to be selfish. Ultimately to beat this people have to do the things that we have become collectively terrible at as a nation. Firstly, think about how our actions effect the most vulnerable further down the line and, secondly, listen to the experts.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 21 Mar 2020, 1:47 pm

RDW wrote:I'm still working in the office and everything is still open. Indoor venues are limited to 100 people or no more than 1 person per 4m square. There's a ban on all arrivals except Aussie citizens, who still have to self isolate.

I can tell you now, it’s typical of the Aussie male toxicity that this will happen. I know of a school who have had a student in school all week only to find her mother has Coronavirus. Mother cannot leave the house to get child tested so just sent her to school, even sending her back one day after the school sent her home with a cough and fever.

School isn’t closing because there’s no confirmed cases having been in their school. Haven’t told their staff outside one at-risk teacher, who has passed it on to my partner.

My football team was full of annoyed players when I told them we were cancelling training. I woke up in the morning and the committee were discussing it (I’m in the UK currently) and I told them to stop being idiots. It’s going to come for them.

I’m now stuck here, as I’m not a resident so I won’t be allowed back in. Equally, I’m self-employed over here as a supply teacher so my income has stopped. My partner is back in our home, so she’s still in Australia. Not an ideal situation for me on every turn.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 21 Mar 2020, 3:14 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:
RDW wrote:I'm still working in the office and everything is still open. Indoor venues are limited to 100 people or no more than 1 person per 4m square. There's a ban on all arrivals except Aussie citizens, who still have to self isolate.

I can tell you now, it’s typical of the Aussie male toxicity that this will happen. I know of a school who have had a student in school all week only to find her mother has Coronavirus. Mother cannot leave the house to get child tested so just sent her to school, even sending her back one day after the school sent her home with a cough and fever.

School isn’t closing because there’s no confirmed cases having been in their school. Haven’t told their staff outside one at-risk teacher, who has passed it on to my partner.

My football team was full of annoyed players when I told them we were cancelling training. I woke up in the morning and the committee were discussing it (I’m in the UK currently) and I told them to stop being idiots. It’s going to come for them.

I’m now stuck here, as I’m not a resident so I won’t be allowed back in. Equally, I’m self-employed over here as a supply teacher so my income has stopped. My partner is back in our home, so she’s still in Australia. Not an ideal situation for me on every turn.

Sorry to hear that DZ, does not sound like a good situation at all. Hope your partner is ok in Oz as well.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 21 Mar 2020, 5:40 pm

You know, it’s not that bad really. I’d rather be with her, but we’re both healthy and the internet exists.

She’s more despairing of her country, but I guess she has a direct link to the everyday of England now whereas to many it’s just a story on the news.

Maybe I’ll put together a COVID Culture Cup to pass some time

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 21 Mar 2020, 9:17 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:You know, it’s not that bad really. I’d rather be with her, but we’re both healthy and the internet exists.

She’s more despairing of her country, but I guess she has a direct link to the everyday of England now whereas to many it’s just a story on the news.

Well to us it was just a story in China then Italy, talking to some of my colleagyes at work in a London Hospital today, we are going to be in for a massive reality check here before to long and likely Australia will follow.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 21 Mar 2020, 9:58 pm

Back at work already Gee? Was young daughter the last straw? Is MrsGee still blaming you?
Seriously mate, look after yourself.
I think the younger half of the population are in for a shock; from listening to our youngest, 16, he and his buds have no real sense of the gravity of the situation. I think the government have been hoping that we would all follow their guidelines: probably time for " you must and you will " rather than "you really should consider ".

As I said Gee take care of yourself.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 21 Mar 2020, 10:22 pm

Thing is in the UK life is pretty easy. Not that we don't have a whole host of problems (and a government that seemed to be trying its best to feck everything up) - but on the big scale we don't have natural disasters. We don't have the threat of war or high levels of violent crime. We can plan for the long term future.

But this time it is different

It feels as if a tidal wave is just building up before ripping across our country. Its not going to hit everything, but I can't help thinking that when it has passed and we can finally lift up our heads and look around, much will have changed.

There are many charts on the web on the progress of the bug. I have been looking at this one
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

What you can see is that globally the rate of recorded infections (and death) is now increasing exponentially

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 21 Mar 2020, 10:42 pm

BigGee wrote:
Dolphin Ziggler wrote:You know, it’s not that bad really. I’d rather be with her, but we’re both healthy and the internet exists.

Well to us it was just a story in China then Italy, talking to some of my colleagyes at work in a London Hospital today, we are going to be in for a massive reality check here before to long and likely Australia will follow.

That's for sure Big Gee.

About a week ago our PM (after having consulted with Boris apparently) was suggesting we go down the "herd mentality" path in order to try and "flatten the curve" and therefore minimise the impact on our health services sector, which whilst it is right up there by global standards, it is nowhere near ready to cope with the expected massive surge of infected people.

At the same time we were told that if you have mild symptoms... don't go to your GP or even get tested as we don't want mass panic causing overload of the health system in this respect - was the message. I note that there was (in parallel with this message) also a general theme of restricting people above a certain age from receiving any form of treatment... like in Italy. It was quite a blunt reality check to say the least.

However, I fear this approach is fraught with great risk. Surely the most effective way of dealing with this situation is a total lockdown across the board; not selective ones in specific areas after the disease has been confirmed. We should all be aware now how quickly this virus can spread so to delay for even one day; let alone one week will prove disastrous. I can't believe we haven't shut down schools here. Nor bars, clubs and other places of social congregation.

It's also unbelievable that we still have sport at closed venues - surely these 'gladiators' are not immune? It's all about dwindling revenue for them.

Have a brother in Singapore - they jumped on this thing early and take self-isolation very seriously. For those with the virus they must report their location several times a day confirming GPS location and even photographs of their abode. Cheating is not an option as the penalties are severe.
If you are clear and need to do some shopping then there's a guy out the front of your building taking your temperature. Same upon arrival at the store. Then again when you return back home. The same applies for any food deliveries - the rider is tested (and signs) when he leaves the restaurant, tests you and him/herself at your front door (sign off) and again upon return to the restaurant (sign off).

Here in Australia; I simply cannot see the same methods of control being applied unless we break the country down into lockdown zones. As a society there is the immutable prevalence of this inalienable right to be free (even at the expense of others it seems - like the US and probably the UK) and this is our Achilles Heel unfortunately. Last Friday was a warm day - probably the last gasp of summer here. The crowds at Bondi Beach were obviously a mix of locals and tourists who somehow feel they are bullet proof and have a "she'll be right" attitude. God I hate that expression!

Anyway my prediction is that there will be a further announcement regarding locking down (probably later today) and possibly even the introduction of curfews. I can only imagine how this will affect some. In the meantime - everybody keep safe, look after yourselves and your families and do the right thing for others.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 21 Mar 2020, 11:00 pm

I suspect the Aussie government are waiting to see what impact closing the borders has had. They'll probably find cases are still rising so I can see UK style restrictions in the next week.

Those feckin cruise ships very much not helping!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Sat 21 Mar 2020, 11:03 pm

Social distancing is being roundly ignored down here, we took the dog down to the beach today (dutifully keeping our distance from others I would add!) and there are cafes still open and people sitting around drinking beer in the sun as if nothing was going on. I was shocked and find it frankly pretty damn arrogant that people would decide to behave like that with no regard for the impact their actions will have on the rest of society.

How anyone can not be looking at Italy right now and understanding how easily we can end up exactly where they are if we carry on as normal is beyond me!

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 21 Mar 2020, 11:11 pm

Interesting post Pal Joey. I think you’re bang on there - the right to freedom and democracy we enjoy has perhaps given a lot of people in countries like the US, Oz and UK a feeling of being above the government, almost like a version of free speech. Freedom of expression, perhaps. I see videos of countries like China where they are strictly enforcing things and the public don’t get a say. That’s what is needed. Here, in contrast, we’ve got people like former SAS celebrity Ant Middleton all over Twitter saying how this virus wasn’t going to hold him back, how he’s not going to be kept in by a silly virus, how everyone should just get out and face it. What a tw@t! He’s since backtracked and taken his posts down but it really doesn’t help.

Interesting also what you said about the last warm day there. Here is the first proper warmish day of spring. In wales people have been posting pictures of everyone at the beach, up the mountains, etc. Big crowds getting the first bit of nice weather. People last night having ‘one last big night out’ before the pub ban. No one is listening.

I don’t want to get overly political, but part of the problem I think is the way the message is being delivered by Boris. I’m not a fan but I appreciate that for any government this is an overwhelmingly difficult job. They’re up sh*t creek whatever happens. However, it really doesn’t help that Boris is such a bumbling, incoherent speaker and leader. It just doesn’t come across as serious. He mumbles and stumbles his way through some of the most important public messages the country has ever been given by the government. The other day he even said at the end of his daily update “Was that useful?”. I think it was aimed at the journalists in the room, but seriously - WTF? We need a cool, calm, assured and steely leader laying it down in no uncertain terms. Yet Boris comes across like we just need some stiff British upper lip and bat this virus back to where it came from. It’s surely only a matter of time before the govt here have to take it out of the hands of the people and enforce isolation through the police and military (like in Italy). Because the weak and mumbled messages of possible issues are really not working.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 21 Mar 2020, 11:14 pm

No they're not helping at all are they, RDW.

Lovely autumn day here isn't it?
Lucky you missed our Summer of Hell! That was brutal indeed. Hard to describe what that was really like to live through.

If you are desperate to see some nice parts of the city and have some wheels - then may I suggest the Northern Beaches via Mona Vale/ McCarrs Ck Rd.... a beautiful drive. Clean air and that really nice forest aroma. Then perhaps somewhere like Bilgola Beach for a short stop. Palm Beach is probably too crowded on a day like this.

Although Watson's Bay is probably closer to you... that's where I took my Scottish guests in October last year. They loved it. Nice outdoor pub there with fresh air.

Forget Bondi - we used to call it Beirut-sur-Mer. The vibe of the place has turned ugly not to mention it has the highest population density on the continent... ripe for transmission of this nasty virus. Best avoided or just travel through quickly. OK

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 21 Mar 2020, 11:23 pm

Aye Sydney has plenty options for outdoor space with hardly anyone there. We don't have a car yet so the risk is actually getting to these places! We're staying away from the beaches though.

The ferries have been pretty quiet which is print the best way of getting to some of these places.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun 22 Mar 2020, 12:12 am

The UK government isn’t mandating musts and will as this opens the doors to legal action.

If a business loses money because punters are staying away because the government has said people should think about what they are doing, the business has no claim on anything. It’s a downturn in business which happens. If the government says to people “you must stay indoors and stay away from everyone and everything” the business can claim against their business insurers.

Now, who are these insurers who would lose billions? The big finance firms and banks. That’s who.

Guess who the government likes to look after?????

The world is in a right state where still we put peoples health priorities below a few peoples wealth priories.

The head dude of public health in England said it “today you can choose to save someone else’s life” it’s as basic as that. The government should be locking things down now, everyone should be told to hunker down. Emergency services should be running for emergencies only and the armed forces should be delivering food parcels. If wee jimmy isn’t happy because he’s been given own brand beans instead of Heinz or wee Susie isn’t happy because she only likes the red wine gums, get them to absolute Smeg. No one should be going out and basically spreading this virus around

I feel like an old uncle “during the war” Albert but society these days, unless they are backs to the wall poverty stricken souls, don’t know how fcuking easy they have it.

Get this shoite sorted out now. Stop panic buying all the bog roll, leave some soap on the shelf for your fellow human beings and stop being utterly irresponsible with your actions.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 22 Mar 2020, 9:23 am

One of the interesting things about group dynamics is the way that when the group clown, or moaner, or argumentative bugger, or leader leaves someone else automatically assumes that role. We have just seen tigertattie morph into 21st Century Schizoid Man. Hug

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 22 Mar 2020, 10:12 am

Looks like Aussies have closed pubs and clubs, restaurants and cafes, but not schools.

They’ll learn

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next