The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The summer of cricket 2020

+18
LondonTiger
AlciG
sirfredperry
Soul Requiem
KP_fan
dummy_half
VTR
Dolphin Ziggler
Good Golly I'm Olly
JDizzle
Pal Joey
TRUSSMAN66
king_carlos
guildfordbat
Gooseberry
Duty281
GSC
alfie
22 posters

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20

Go down

The summer of cricket 2020 - Page 20 Empty The summer of cricket 2020

Post by alfie Fri 17 Jul 2020, 4:31 pm

First topic message reminder :

Stokes gone at last...and Roach gets one at last ! Bit fluky , reverse leg side edge but I think Kemar was entitled to dome good fortune...

Hell of an innings from Stokes thumbsup

alfie

Back to top Go down

The summer of cricket 2020 - Page 20 Empty Re: The summer of cricket 2020

Post by GSC Sun 02 Aug 2020, 9:36 am

Is the Australia series off? I thought it was provisionally later this summer
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 02 Aug 2020, 9:48 am

Yes, it's meant to be in September this year, but no dates have been announced. Australia have got a provisional squad ready.

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/australia-26-player-preliminary-list-training-group-uk-england-tour-odi-t20-covid19/2020-07-16

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 02 Aug 2020, 10:20 am

For those who haven't already seen it, The Edge is on BBC 2 this evening.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/53597318

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 02 Aug 2020, 10:35 am

Duty281 wrote:Yes, it's meant to be in September this year, but no dates have been announced. Australia have got a provisional squad ready.

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/australia-26-player-preliminary-list-training-group-uk-england-tour-odi-t20-covid19/2020-07-16

Whilst things would probably be easier for Australia's ODI squad if it is agreed that they'll tour here in September, it may still not be a piece of cake getting everything done. Surrey's Morne Morkel is currently in Australia with his Australian wife and is unable to get a visa and a flight to return to the UK.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 02 Aug 2020, 1:12 pm

Think the next white ball contest is t20 series with Pakistan , after the Tests , no ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 03 Aug 2020, 7:33 am

Very good to see Haseeb Hameed making a good start with Notts after tribulations at Lancashire.

He's only 23 and could well come again.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 03 Aug 2020, 9:10 am

Did anybody catch "The Edge" on BBC2 last night? If not, would highly recommend...it is an excellent documentary.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000lhvt/the-edge
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 03 Aug 2020, 9:42 am

Thanks for the recommendation, Olly. Got it recorded and will certainly watch.

First though, dentist and then Churchy.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 03 Aug 2020, 11:00 am

sirfredperry wrote:Very good to see Haseeb Hameed making a good start with Notts after tribulations at Lancashire.

He's only 23 and could well come again.

Indeed. Sixty odd first innings , and he's going again 30no second knock...good signs. I've hoped he might work his way back ; and this is encouraging. Early days yet...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Mon 03 Aug 2020, 11:12 am

Things have moved on a bit since Hameed played, he's still young but the place he's primarily after is that of Dom Sibley and there's i'm surprised to see that they are 23 & 24 respectively, feels like a bigger age gap than that between the pair. I say he's after Sibley's place for the sole reason that there are mild complaints about the current pairs scoring rate which would only slow down were it he and Hameed.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 03 Aug 2020, 11:16 am

Could well end up being a need for an opener on the sub continent given Roy's issue with spin against Chase.

In any case given recent history, more options are never a bad thing. Long way to go yet though for Hameed.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Mon 03 Aug 2020, 11:26 am

I don't think Chase caused Burns that many problems in fairness, he just kept getting himself out with poorly executed shots and did at least appear to have worked on his game come the third test where he was sweeping a lot more than he had done previously.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 03 Aug 2020, 2:37 pm

Watching the live stream of the Notts game it was great seeing Hameed playing the ball late again. In his struggles for Lancs he seemed to be going harder at the ball and struggling to play it under his nose. Which is what he was so good at when he made his England debut. His technique was excellent and he would play the ball so late and with soft hands.

That natural ability seemed to have gone missing with his form falling apart. It's great seeing the young man playing like that again.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon 03 Aug 2020, 2:41 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Did anybody catch "The Edge" on BBC2 last night? If not, would highly recommend...it is an excellent documentary.

Yep. I’ve got it on DVD (they do still exist apparently) and it is excellent. With all the stress and effort they put in to get to number one, it’s obvious watching it why things became frayed at the end with KP and the pressures that Trott felt he was under. Excellent watch.

On Hameed - he did get an early season hundred last year for Lancs in the CC, but fingers crossed this is a more permanent start of something...

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 03 Aug 2020, 4:44 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/53629648

Definitely approve of this. Ties in nicely with Silverwood's ambition of this England test side batting time and occupying the crease.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Mon 03 Aug 2020, 4:48 pm

Duty281 wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/53629648

Definitely approve of this. Ties in nicely with Silverwood's ambition of this England test side batting time and occupying the crease.

Seems a bit overkill when Graham Thorpe is already the main batting coach, could potentially lead to some mixed messages.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 03 Aug 2020, 4:51 pm

Find it slightly odd that you would stick to a single batting coach anyway. Cricket sometimes feels 30 years behind other sports

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Mon 03 Aug 2020, 4:53 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Find it slightly odd that you would stick to a single batting coach anyway. Cricket sometimes feels 30 years behind other sports

Well there's Collingwood in the set up too, there are only five or six front line batsmen in the squad, not sure how many coaches you think they need.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 03 Aug 2020, 4:59 pm

Multiple, yeah, because of the individualism of batting and the different areas of strength. It’s different eyes, different ideas, different voices too.

The harm of mixed messages would only come from a chaotic and poorly run setup, and it would be a symptom of many.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 04 Aug 2020, 12:23 am

JDizzle wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Did anybody catch "The Edge" on BBC2 last night? If not, would highly recommend...it is an excellent documentary.

Yep. I’ve got it on DVD (they do still exist apparently) and it is excellent. With all the stress and effort they put in to get to number one, it’s obvious watching it why things became frayed at the end with KP and the pressures that Trott felt he was under. Excellent watch.

I've just watched it now. Really interesting watch, particularly the last 20 minutes when the players are chatting about mental health issues.

As is often the case with these documentaries I found hearing from the less prominent players really interesting. Finn and Monty talking about mental health issues for instance. Bresnan talking about the Boxing Day tests - his little reminiscent grin after showing the ball from the second innings is a lovely moment.

During the KP documentary by Sky I found hearing from Michael Carberry similarly interesting with regards to that 5-0 drubbing in Australia.

The big players chatting is fascinating as well of course. Especially Trott at the end talking about his preparation against the bowling machines, struggles sleeping, anxiety, etc before returning from Australia.

What I liked in particular is that the Edge didn't get bogged down concentrating solely on the more polarised opinions from that era. We know that KP didn't like Flower and Swann. We know Swann didn't like Pietersen and arguably liked himself a touch too much. It's been done to death. The Edge offers some different perspectives whilst still hearing from those guys in amongst it. Cracking documentary.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 04 Aug 2020, 5:47 am

Howya lads.

Don't get much time anymore to post on here but as an avid cricket fan and an Irishman i have been watching the ODI series between England and Ireland. I am not all that impressed with Ireland, i thought that they may give England a bit more pressure than they have done so far. Its a shame that England have not won any toss and elected to bat first as Ireland batting first is a bit of a let down. We all know that Ireland are far more comfortable at chasing a score rather than set it.

As for Curtis Campher, although i am happy such a young talent is representing Ireland, it does also leave a sour taste that he actually knows very little about the country he is representing.

On a plus side, i have really enjoyed KP's punditry during the games. Just like the way he played, he calls it just how he sees it.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Tue 04 Aug 2020, 9:44 am

Has Campher actually ever been to Ireland? Its hard to have a go at Ireland when Morgans representing the opposition! As Archer did with England hes made an immediate impact which will have silenced any criticism over his selection. It is part and parcel of the modern game, the only thing that surprises me is that such a young player chose that path when he was already in a top tier nations development system.

In terms of batting first, I think Ireland have looked at how England have struggled even when chasing some fairly modest totals. More often than not they can bat teams out of a game by going first up, all the games they lost at the world cup they batted second and they also "drew" the final batting second. The last ODI they played each other Ireland batted first, scored under 200, then had England on the rack and werent that far off an unlikely win.

End of the day England are the number one side in this format, and even with a reduced squad a serious cut above Ireland. Batting first or second its going to be difficult for Ireland to win. Both of these matches theres been period where England looked in trouble chasing, not dissimilar to what happened in 2019. Irelands disappointment shouldn't just be with failing to make enough with the bat but also in not being able to capitalise on Englands collapses.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 04 Aug 2020, 10:59 am

eirebilly wrote:Howya lads.

Don't get much time anymore to post on here but as an avid cricket fan and an Irishman i have been watching the ODI series between England and Ireland. I am not all that impressed with Ireland, i thought that they may give England a bit more pressure than they have done so far. Its a shame that England have not won any toss and elected to bat first as Ireland batting first is a bit of a let down. We all know that Ireland are far more comfortable at chasing a score rather than set it.

As for Curtis Campher, although i am happy such a young talent is representing Ireland, it does also leave a sour taste that he actually knows very little about the country he is representing.

On a plus side, i have really enjoyed KP's punditry during the games. Just like the way he played, he calls it just how he sees it.

Whilst Ireland have been underwhelming it's worth noting they are in a bit of a transition phase. The interview below with Kevin O'Brien is quite interesting.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/29556981/kevin-obrien-brought-irish-cricket-far-now-younger-guys

It seems that Graham Ford is using this series to look to the future. I'm not arguing that Dockrell and Wilson for instance would have made a difference but if this were a World Cup then they probably would be playing. Dockrell in particular is a really good bowler.

Add in Tim Murtagh retiring (yes, he's arguably another ringer who had a short career but was important for them over the last 2 years), William Porterfield stepping down from the captaincy and Boyd Rankin being injured. That's their long term opening batsman and captain, both opening bowlers, first choice spinner and wicket-keeper from recent years out of this side for various reasons.

Very much a transitional period with Ford looking to the future I'd say.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 04 Aug 2020, 12:01 pm

It is worth pointing out though KC, that it is not the young guys who have come in that have been disappointing - but rather the experienced heads retained. Stirling, Balbirnie & O'Brien spring to mind.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 04 Aug 2020, 12:26 pm

LondonTiger wrote:It is worth pointing out though KC, that it is not the young guys who have come in that have been disappointing - but rather the experienced heads retained. Stirling, Balbirnie & O'Brien spring to mind.

True. Stirling is still their best batsman and a vital player. Balbirnie the best option to replace Porterfield as skipper and a strong number 3 as well. O'Brien realistically hasn't done too much in one dayers the last couple of years. He did score a very good Test century though to be fair. They have failed 6 innings out of 6 in the first two ODIs though.

I think there are green shoots though. Singh isn't young and once again people will say he's a ringer but he's also a very good spinner. Add McBrine and Dockrell, Ireland have 3 strong spinners to rotate. Craig Young looks a natural successor to Rankin/Murtagh as an opening bowler with a bit of experience. Campher obviously has been impressive. Harry Tector is a strong talent as well I think. Tucker also a promising looking successor to Niall O'Brien and Gary Wilson who have had the keeper spot between them for over a decade it seems.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 04 Aug 2020, 1:53 pm

Ireland lose the toss and choose to chase today. Curran for the injured Topley the only change for England
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 04 Aug 2020, 2:08 pm

Roy gets out in the first over of ODIs a lot, doesn't he?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 04 Aug 2020, 2:39 pm

England in bother at 44/3. Vince hasn't grabbed his chance in this three game series.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 04 Aug 2020, 2:43 pm

So long, our sweet prince, James Vince. I will miss your 27 (24) caught at first slip on the drive.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 04 Aug 2020, 2:44 pm

Duty281 wrote:Roy gets out in the first over of ODIs a lot, doesn't he?

Roy when in form is brilliant, can’t be many better players to watch. But out of form, he is painful. When he had that poor patch around the Champions Trophy it looked like he had forgotten how to hit the ball.

Shame for Vince, as I do like watching him bat. Wonder if he has blown his last chance with Hain lurking for the back up number three slot and Banton (albeit he hasn’t delivered yet either but is younger) for the opening role.

Big chance for Banton here though.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 04 Aug 2020, 2:49 pm

Tuned in a bit late to see two down early...and , sadly unsurprisingly , witnessed Vince nicking one to the keeper...England in a bit of trouble. Morgan looks to be going well though.
Ireland appear to have made the right choice at the toss.

Think this would be a good day for Banton to get some runs !

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 04 Aug 2020, 2:59 pm

It is what you get with Roy , though , isn't it ? As you say , first over dismissals are common. But so are days where he destroys the opening attack by blasting them everywhere right from the start.
Most days , if he fails , it matters little because Bairstow gets going and you have Root coming in early. Days like today , with Jonny also falling early on , it looks a bit dicey... But is it not the other side of the bargain for having the fastest scoring opening pair in the known universe ?
As long as it comes off as often as it does , I am happy enough to put up with the odd early collapse ; even though there are days where even the usually deep batting list cannot arrest the slide.

As long as it isn't a WC knock out round , anyway Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Tue 04 Aug 2020, 3:00 pm

That must surely be James Vince's last chance, he's consistently failed to grab multiple opportunities and whilst he looks stylish he's just not up to international cricket. I don't fully understand why Dawid Malan isn't in the squad, as a decent first class player and a quality T20 player he's got all the attributes to make a good ODI middle order batsmen and unlike Vince doesn't have a glaring deficiency in the format. I'd probably have gone Hain at three with Malan at five at the start.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 04 Aug 2020, 3:00 pm

Danger for Banton ...Campher is coming on ghost

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Tue 04 Aug 2020, 3:02 pm

alfie wrote:

It is what you get with Roy , though , isn't it ? As you say , first over dismissals are common. But so are days where he destroys the opening attack by blasting them everywhere right from the start.
Most days , if he fails , it matters little because Bairstow gets going and you have Root coming in early. Days like today , with Jonny also falling early on , it looks a bit dicey... But is it not the other side of the bargain for having the fastest scoring opening pair in the known universe ?
As long as it comes off as often as it does , I am happy enough to put up with the odd early collapse ; even though there are days where even the usually deep batting list cannot arrest the slide.

Dare I say it but Roy hasn't looked particularly interested this series, were we playing India or Australia I think he'd have actually done a lot better.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 04 Aug 2020, 3:03 pm

Got to be honest, I didn't realise the 3rd ODI was today!

A pleasant surprise to entertain me at work on a very rainy and quiet day or business.

Morgan playing a typical Morgan knock under pressure here. His ability to hit boundaries with relatively low risk shots is really important in these circumstances. 34 of his 40 runs coming in boundaries to relieve some pressure.

Banton has a big opportunity right here with Vince failing. Root has a busy schedule ahead as always so there will be opportunities at 3 when he is rested.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 04 Aug 2020, 3:09 pm

alfie wrote:

Oh yes, absolutely. With the way England play, you do have to accept that on the odd occasion it goes wrong, but most of the time it works (hence why England are the best in this format). It just seems a statistical oddity at how frequently Roy finds himself out in the first over!

As expected, England are carrying on with the attack despite early losses. 250 should be enough to win...but England will be looking for 300+ as per usual.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 04 Aug 2020, 3:10 pm

king_carlos wrote:Got to be honest, I didn't realise the 3rd ODI was today!

Might be the only time England have played an ODI followed by a test on consecutive days.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 04 Aug 2020, 3:16 pm

Comms confirming Duty's point about Roy and first over dismissals ...

16 times since 2015 was it ? I didn't catch how many matches but that is indeed rather a lot !

Morgan not at all perturbed , rattling along at 125%... Excellent fifty clap

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 04 Aug 2020, 3:17 pm

Duty281 wrote:
king_carlos wrote:Got to be honest, I didn't realise the 3rd ODI was today!

Might be the only time England have played an ODI followed by a test on consecutive days.

I'd be more surprised if it wasn't a first than if it was!

Good news coming in the form of Stokes bowling at full speed in training as well.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Tue 04 Aug 2020, 3:45 pm

Banton working the ball around a lot better this innings rather than relying solely on boundaries, I don't even think Morgan is in fourth gear yet, could be carnage.

-------

https://www.606v2.com/viewtopic.php?t=69687

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20