The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newcastle Falcons - Premiership 2024 - 2025 - The Diamond Era

+22
Heaf
BamBam
jimbopip
Cumbrian
doctor_grey
Welshmushroom
Oakdene
Fluxy
BigGee
Welly
TightHEAD
No 7&1/2
tigertattie
mikey_dragon
RiscaGame
king_carlos
Hazel Sapling
lostinwales
formerly known as Sam
LondonTiger
Sgt_Pooly
Geordie
26 posters

Page 13 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Go down

Newcastle Falcons - Premiership 2024 - 2025 - The Diamond Era - Page 13 Empty Newcastle Falcons - Premiership 2024 - 2025 - The Diamond Era

Post by Geordie Thu 23 Jul 2020, 3:33 pm

First topic message reminder :

Director of Rugby (Non Rugby Matters): Matt Thompson
Head Coach & DOR (Rugby Matters): Steve Diamond
Performance Coach: Mark Laycock
Forwards Coach: Micky Ward
Defence Coach: Alan Dickens & Steve Diamond
Attack Coach: Alan Dickens
Lineout Coach: Scott Macleod
Breakdown: Micky Ward & Scott Macleod
Skills Coach: Mark Laycock
S&C: Tim Payne

Current Squad:

Hookers
Jamie Blamire
Bryan Byrne
Ollie Fletcher (A)
Jacob Oliver (A)

Props
TH
Eduardo Bello
Murray MaCallum
Richard Palframan
Callum Hancock (A)

LH
Adam Brocklebank
Luin De Bruin
Mike Rewcastle (A)
Isaac Keller (A)
Connor Hancock (A)

Locks
Sebastian De Chaves
Kiran McDonald
Tim Cardall
Luke Coulston (A)
Adam Scott (A)
Fin Baker (A)

Back 5
Pedro Rubiolo
Philip van der Walt
John Kelly
John Hawkins

Back Row
Callum Chick
Josh Bainbridge
Tom Gordon
Freddie Lockwood
Ollie Leatherbarrow
Marcus Tiffin
Cameron Neild
[b]Reuben Parsons (A)
[b]Charlie Turnbull (A)

Scrum Halves
Sam Stuart
Hugh O'Sullivan
James Elliott
Max Pepper
Ben Douglas (A)
Joe Davis (A)

Fly Halves
Brett Connon
Kieran Wilkinson
Junior Newton (A)

Centres
Cameron Hutchison
Jack Metcalf
Sam Arnold
Connor Doherty (Season Loan from Sale)
Oli Spencer (A)
Rhys Beeckmans (A)

Wingers
Ben Stevenson
Alex Hearle
Adam Radwan
Nathan Greenwood (A)

Full Back
Tom Penny - To be confirmed staying or leaving
Louis Brown
Elliott Obatoyinbo
Ben Redshaw (A)

Last edited by Geordie on Thu 12 Sep 2024, 8:05 am; edited 170 times in total

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Newcastle Falcons - Premiership 2024 - 2025 - The Diamond Era - Page 13 Empty Re: Newcastle Falcons - Premiership 2024 - 2025 - The Diamond Era

Post by king_carlos Thu 05 Sep 2024, 2:38 pm

Wow. Sale have gone very strong there for a preseason game. Most teams mix and match a bit. That's just full noise minus injuries as far as I can see. Even then, there aren't many injuries. Schonert, Jonny Hill and Dan du Preez are the obvious absentees. They're strong in those positions though. Especially back row.

Hyron Edwards looks like a signing to directly cover Jonny Hill as a lineout leader when needed. A bit of a moneyball one. He's not as physical but he is a bloody good jumper. With lots of physicality elsewhere, that fits their needs. Their second row has a few interesting players. Ernst van Rhyn was good for them last season but has big boots to fill as Cobus Wiese's replacement this term. Wiese was so consistent for Sale. Excellent in maul defence, excellent tackler and he just smashed rucks, which freed up others. Then Ben Bamber is an exciting talent coming through. Whilst Le Roux Roets is monstrous if they can get his conditioning and all round game right.

As said in the Prem thread, I really fancy Sale for this season. Compared to others in the Prem their squad looks settled, has plenty of quality and they've recruited smartly.

I reckon Nayacalevu could be an inspired signing. He's not young now but he's still such a dangerous runner and off loader at 13. With a couple of playmakers elsewhere in the backline and very good finisher on the wings, I just fancy that Nayacalevu could mesh really well with the rest of the back line. Especially if their forwards can get Warr and Quirke front foot ball. Which they often do. Their second and back row are stacked with good carriers who also have sky high numbers for hitting rucks.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Newcastle Falcons - Premiership 2024 - 2025 - The Diamond Era - Page 13 Empty Re: Newcastle Falcons - Premiership 2024 - 2025 - The Diamond Era

Post by Geordie Thu 05 Sep 2024, 3:35 pm

Well on that summary ill expect a humping....thanks KC Laugh

Theres quite a few complete unknowns in our squad this season, but the noise trickling out of the camp is that Diamond is impressed with a few...the twin props from BUCS for example...a complete unknown...but apparently impressing in training. Proof will be in the pudding against a top prem outfit.

Geordie

king_carlos likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 05 Sep 2024, 3:42 pm

How long has Luan de Bruin been at Falcons? He was a good player, but always seemed to be injured.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 05 Sep 2024, 3:44 pm

Just arrived this summerr...

Yeah hes another unknown. An uncompromising loosehead...but has had his injury issues. Which one are we getting? Hopefully the first one.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 05 Sep 2024, 3:51 pm

Geordie wrote:Just arrived this summerr...

Yeah hes another unknown. An uncompromising loosehead...but has had his injury issues. Which one are we getting? Hopefully the first one.

He can play both sides. Keep him fit and he's a major asset.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 05 Sep 2024, 4:02 pm

Luan looked good for Tigers at LH, then in his very brief chance at TH he looked diabolical. Just absolutely destroying his opposite number. I felt Edinburgh got a very good prop there. Then he just struggled to stay on the pitch. Given Falcons financial restrictions, I think it's a smart signing. He wont be demanding the wages he might've first going to Edinburgh but he's an experienced prop who covers both sides. I doubt Falcons would get a prop with that ceiling if he didn't have the injury issues. Hence Davison and Brantingham both departing. It's a tough gig for Diamond.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Thu 05 Sep 2024, 5:22 pm

Wasnt sure but isnt this Sale's only pre season friendly? In which case they probably had to get the first team out to make sure they are match fit for the opening round.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Thu 05 Sep 2024, 5:28 pm

king_carlos wrote:

As said in the Prem thread, I really fancy Sale for this season. Compared to others in the Prem their squad looks settled, has plenty of quality and they've recruited smartly.

I reckon Nayacalevu could be an inspired signing. He's not young now but he's still such a dangerous runner and off loader at 13. With a couple of playmakers elsewhere in the backline and very good finisher on the wings, I just fancy that Nayacalevu could mesh really well with the rest of the back line. Especially if their forwards can get Warr and Quirke front foot ball. Which they often do. Their second and back row are stacked with good carriers who also have sky high numbers for hitting rucks.

The issue with Nayacalevu is how many games will they get out of him. Backs in that age grade usually have a dire playing record. If they can keep him fit for the season he could be a great signing. If he ends up playing less than 9 games he will probably be a dire signing. Its defo a flip of the coin type of signing.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 05 Sep 2024, 6:02 pm

Nayacalevu's injured record is excellent up to this point in fairness. Allrugby have his record back to '13/14. In 11 seasons, he's only played under 1000 minutes in a season once in '19/20. He's played comfortably over 1500 minutes in 7 of those seasons and over 2000 minutes in a season twice. That's about as good as availability gets in the hyper physical modern game. At 34-years-old he could get a serious injury and struggle to come back. So could any player though. There aren't significant existing injuries you'd worry about reoccurring. I think it's a really smart signing.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Thu 05 Sep 2024, 6:13 pm

I wasnt specifically talking about him though. My point is if you look across the board at backs at 34's the injury records increase by a massive amount. The stats dont make for great reading. And often its the most played backs in the prior 10 years that have the worst records for this.

Now he may end up being one of the outliers but the odds are against him. As i said if Sale can get 15 games out of him then great. All I'm saying that's a big if.

Keep in mind as well Clubs must have these stats too which is why clubs dont fall over themselves to buy 34+ year old centres as a rule of thumb.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Thu 05 Sep 2024, 6:14 pm

On the plus side they can always grab Jonathan Davies as a medical joker if he does get injuries. I hear he is still looking for someone to play for.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 05 Sep 2024, 7:38 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
Geordie wrote:Just arrived this summerr...

He can play both sides. Keep him fit and he's a major asset.
Well that's rhe issue...xan we keep him fit. It's been made very clear he's here as a LH only ...not as TH or TH cover.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 05 Sep 2024, 7:54 pm

king_carlos wrote:Luan looked good for Tigers at LH, then in his very brief chance at TH he looked diabolical. Just absolutely destroying his opposite number. I felt Edinburgh got a very good prop there. Then he just struggled to stay on the pitch. Given Falcons financial restrictions, I think it's a smart signing. He wont be demanding the wages he might've first going to Edinburgh but he's an experienced prop who covers both sides. I doubt Falcons would get a prop with that ceiling if he didn't have the injury issues. Hence Davison and Brantingham both departing. It's a tough gig for Diamond.

They've made it clear Luin is a LH only KC...maybe kmowing the imjry issues he wont be covering TH.. I think SD is going to have to be smart. If Luin has known injury issues then keep him for the big games (which most are for us Lol) and let Brocklebank and the rated young academy lads Hancock, Rewcastle and Keller cover the other games. MCallum is a player I rate and he can cover LH also.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 05 Sep 2024, 9:28 pm

Welshmushroom wrote:Wasnt sure but isnt this Sale's only pre season friendly?  In which case they probably had to get the first team out to make sure they are match fit for the opening round.

Third pre season friendly.

They went hard against Connacht with:

Sale Sharks Starting XV:  

15. Will Addison, 14. Tom O’Flaherty, 13. Waisea Nayacalevu, 12. Rob du Preez, 11. Arron Reed, 10. George Ford, 9. Raffi Quirke, 1. Simon McIntyre, 2. Tommy Taylor, 3. James Harper, 4. Le Roux Roets, 5. Ernst van Rhyn, 6. Sam Dugdale, 7. Ben Curry (c), 8. Jean-Luc du Preez

Replacements:  

16. Luke Cowan-Dickie, 17. Tumy Onasanya, 18. Asher Opoku-Fordjour, 19. Ben Bamber, 20. Tom Burrow, 21, Rouban Birch, 22. Tristan Woodman, 23. Gus Warr, 24. Tom Curtis, 25. Sam Bedlow, 26. Rekeiti Ma’asi-White, 27. Tom Roebuck, 28. Alex Wills.

Played a more youthful team against Caldy though;

Sale Sharks Starting XV:  

15. Luke James, 14. Obi Ene, 13. Rekeiti Ma’asi White, 12. Joe Bedlow, 11. Alex Wills, 10. Tom Curtis ©, 9. Nye Thomas, 1. Tumy Onasanya, 2. Ethan Caine, 3. Patrice Bell, 4. Ben Bamber, 5. Tom Burrow, 6. Will Riley, 7. Tristan Woodman, 8. Rouban Birch.  

Replacements:  

16. Harry Thompson, 17. Ralph McEachran, 18. Tye Raymont, 19. Le Roux Roets, 20. Jos Gilmore, 21. Yande Nkonge, 22. Will Wootton, 23. Osian Roberts, 24. Tom O’Flaherty, 25. Albert Bradshaw.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 05 Sep 2024, 9:41 pm

Welshmushroom wrote:I wasnt specifically talking about him though.  My point is if you look across the board at backs at 34's the injury records increase by a massive amount.  The stats dont make for great reading.  And often its the most played backs in the prior 10 years that have the worst records for this.  

Now he may end up being one of the outliers but the odds are against him.  As i said if Sale can get 15 games out of him then great.  All I'm saying that's a big if.  

Keep in mind as well Clubs must have these stats too which is why clubs dont fall over themselves to buy 34+ year old centres as a rule of thumb.  

Depends on the individual, it's true in terms of a lot of centres that into their thirties they tend to break down but not all. Jimmy Gopperth the 10/12 is still going at 40.

Some of the Fijians have good records playing until later in their careers. Radrada and Botia are around the same age and are still commanding decent salaries. Seremaia Bai was still going at an older age. Ben Volavola has just signed for Tigers at 33 (admittedly he's a flyhalf).

He's also replacing Manu Tuilagi in the squad who, let's face it, wasn't a safe bet for being fit and available on any given week.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 07 Sep 2024, 8:28 pm

Well this gives me hope we'll actually win a game this season.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 08 Sep 2024, 6:54 am

Geordie wrote:Well this gives me hope we'll actually win a game this season.  

Win Vs Sale?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 08 Sep 2024, 8:08 am

One pont defeat Sam but some good passages of play and clear systems being worked on.
Attacked looked like actually functioning...and we were aggressive around the park.
Scrum went well and Connor Doherty was a big presence in the midfield finally.

Geordie

formerly known as Sam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 12 Sep 2024, 8:04 am

Mark Tampin has retired, and more serious, Eduardo Bello has suffered an ACL...out for at least 6 months. Thats a huge blow to him and to us.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 12 Sep 2024, 10:25 am

Normally I'd say there'd be an injury replacement incoming but Falcons might not have the finances for that.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 12 Sep 2024, 4:55 pm

Yeah that's rhe problem Sam....its McCallum (who I'm happy with), Palframan and the unknown BUCS/Academy player Hancock...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13