The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020

+19
owen10ozzy
ralphjohn69
Plunky
TM2K
beninho
Davie
LadyPutt
Shotrock
superflyweight
robopz
pedro
Good Golly I'm Olly
I'm never wrong
BlueCoverman
GPB
navyblueshorts
JAS
super_realist
McLaren
23 posters

Page 6 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 21  Next

Go down

PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020 - Page 6 Empty PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020

Post by McLaren Thu 03 Dec 2020, 8:31 pm

First topic message reminder :

GPB

Either that or the players are just really good. Wink
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020 - Page 6 Empty Re: PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020

Post by Shotrock Wed 24 Feb 2021, 11:31 am

Game over indeed. But not life threatening which is good to hear.

Did anyone else notice how puffy and glassy-eyed he looked when he was being interviewed by Jim Nantz on Sunday? Hate to speculate, but ....

Shotrock

pedro likes this post

Back to top Go down

PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020 - Page 6 Empty Re: PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020

Post by Shotrock Wed 24 Feb 2021, 11:34 am

Mac I had no trouble sleeping, but that could have been some of the wine helping last evening!

Bruce Springsteen (no stranger to car issues himself these days), said having money is great, but money and fame do not make your life any less complicated. I sort of agree with that on the money side, but famous people can stay out of the spotlight if they choose.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 24 Feb 2021, 12:22 pm

McLaren wrote:This latest Tiger story is just so mental, especially in the context of his other issues over the years. I just can't work out how we got from those halcyon days of the early 00's to here?

Don't know about anyone else but it is hard to sleep while thinking about Tiger.
Erm
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 24 Feb 2021, 12:26 pm

Depends on damage, but bones quite often knit well. Depends on breaks, but sound like they were multiple in tib and fib bones. Would think damage to ankles potentially more important re. golf swing motion. Not surprised on injuries given images of front end of vehicle - looks similar to motorsport shunt damage.
Career ending? Dunno. Maybe in his case due to where he is age-wise etc, but in a younger player? We'll see I guess. Positives - maybe this'll force him to let his back heal properly.

Still, he's just a person and only a successful golfer at that. Some sense of perspective perhaps required?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 24 Feb 2021, 12:33 pm

Sounds like he was lucky not to lose his leg.

PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020 - Page 6 Eu990lHUUAMi1YH?format=jpg&name=large

From the Tiger Woods foundation. https://twitter.com/TigerWoods/status/1364447580520738820

Two sets of tib and fib compound fractures on the same leg, plus crush injuries has to be pretty bad right? (not to mention the ankle and foot injuries)
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 24 Feb 2021, 1:22 pm

Will that be that or will he attempt a Hoganesque comeback after a horrific crash.

Mac, with regard to "I just can't work out how we got from those halcyon days of the early 00's to here?" I think the downward spiral started with the death of his dad (although the seeds of self destruction were already being sown), maybe that led him to becoming less careful in his private life which caused the 2009 implosion. The fixation on the Navy seal training regime nonsense compounding the spiral of back op/rehab. Throw in powerful painkilling prescription meds into that cycle and yeah....thats how we got from those supposed halcyon 00's days to here. In saying that, there is NO indication so far that (over) medication was a factor in this accident

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 24 Feb 2021, 2:35 pm

Jas

Hogan was mid 30's when he had his accident, Tiger is mid 40's. Can't see him being in competitive form again. At best he might get to the point where he can play in an event, but basically just making up the numbers as a great recovery story.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 24 Feb 2021, 3:52 pm

McLaren wrote:Sounds like he was lucky not to lose his leg.

PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020 - Page 6 Eu990lHUUAMi1YH?format=jpg&name=large

From the Tiger Woods foundation. https://twitter.com/TigerWoods/status/1364447580520738820

Two sets of tib and fib compound fractures on the same leg, plus crush injuries has to be pretty bad right? (not to mention the ankle and foot injuries)
I'm sure he'll put it all right via self-manipulation and w/o anaesthetic as w/ his 'dislocated' wrist. Nothing for a wannabe Navy SEAL, eh?

Flippancy aside, I hope he recovers and can play again. Would be a bummer to remain tied w/ Snead re. PGA victories. I'm not going to even begin to get maudlin for him though...

Last edited by navyblueshorts on Wed 24 Feb 2021, 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : 'not' is an important word sometimes...)
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 24 Feb 2021, 3:55 pm

McLaren wrote:Jas

Hogan was mid 30's when he had his accident, Tiger is mid 40's. Can't see him being in competitive form again. At best he might get to the point where he can play in an event, but basically just making up the numbers as a great recovery story.
Should he play again, I'm unfortunately sure that we'll be treated to headlines attempting to equate that w/ surviving the battle of Stalingrad as part of the German 6th army, or some GI who went through Omaha and all the way to Berlin....
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed 24 Feb 2021, 5:15 pm

I imagine it will be the damage to the foot and ankle, that will prohibit any return to golf at the highest level. Whatever you think about Woods, it is an unbelievably sad end to what has been a brilliant career.

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Wed 24 Feb 2021, 5:52 pm

Agreed very sad way for it all to end; could argue the Masters win was the perfect sign off for him and possibly best time he ever had to call it a day...

That being said...when your written off the way he was and then go and do that the competitive nature no doubt told him he had another couple in him.

I have to say, and not just in this thread, it amazes the negativity/borderline hate Tiger gets amongst golf fans. In fact even amongst general sports fans he seems to come out badly when opinions are formed. Dont get me wrong done some rather stupid things but nothing really shoves him out there into the realms of deserving the vitriol he seems to get;

Dont think hes ever brought the game into disrepute on the course & quite honestly even off the course...sex addict..plenty of those about...had affairs....not unusual....drove while under the influence....id imagine plenty even on here have regardless of how much over the limit.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

BlueCoverman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Wed 24 Feb 2021, 8:23 pm

Mac - if you want cheering up, look up Bill Malling on Twitter for a prognosis.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 24 Feb 2021, 8:53 pm

INW

Can't seem to find him would you mind posting a link?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Wed 24 Feb 2021, 10:42 pm

https://twitter.com/bambam1729/status/1364583778111393795?s=19

@bambam1729 I think his username is.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Wed 24 Feb 2021, 10:55 pm

The two featured groups on TV at the WGC are McIlroy, Thomas and Homa together with Johnson, Berger and Koepka. I understand why the golf and TV execs do it, but for myself, I woukd like them to spread it around a bit more. I think several if the above were in the featured groups last week, and only DJ got anywhere. It seems ratings overrides everything.
And whilst I'm on a rant, can someone ask the commentators to stop being sycophantic? Radar is the worst when talking about Rory.
If, as people say, the UK has the most knowledgeable golf fans, some of the things he says are very OTT and unnecessary.

I'm never wrong

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 24 Feb 2021, 11:49 pm

I'm never wrong wrote:https://twitter.com/bambam1729/status/1364583778111393795?s=19

Thanks.

I think the issue for Tiger is that he wasn't guaranteed to be competitive again after his most recent back surgery and if he can't start playing golf again for another year due to his leg injuries he faces making a comeback from two separate injuries at the age of 47. That is some ask, even for Tiger.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 25 Feb 2021, 8:49 am

owen10ozzy wrote:Agreed very sad way for it all to end; could argue the Masters win was the perfect sign off for him and possibly best time he ever had to call it a day...

That being said...when your written off the way he was and then go and do that the competitive nature no doubt told him he had another couple in him.

I have to say, and not just in this thread, it amazes the negativity/borderline hate Tiger gets amongst golf fans. In fact even amongst general sports fans he seems to come out badly when opinions are formed. Dont get me wrong done some rather stupid things but nothing really shoves him out there into the realms of deserving the vitriol he seems to get;

Dont think hes ever brought the game into disrepute on the course & quite honestly even off the course...sex addict..plenty of those about...had affairs....not unusual....drove while under the influence....id imagine plenty even on here have regardless of how much over the limit.
To be clear, while he's not my favourite, most of my 'hatred' is w/ the fawning media who drool over his every fart, and not w/ Woods himself.

Disrepute? Assume you mean on-course. Perhaps not, but his getting fans to move an immovable 'movable' object (i.e. large boulder; forget where) and his 'accidental' drop in the wrong place at Augusta suggest he's not a saint. Suggesting that others shag around (although his were quite numerous), drink drive etc is no reason to grant him a pass on those sorts of things.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 25 Feb 2021, 8:52 am

I'm never wrong wrote:https://twitter.com/bambam1729/status/1364583778111393795?s=19

Just out of interest, do we know which ankle (or was it both?) he's damaged? If left, I'd say he's got a lot of possible problems; if right, perhaps not so much.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Thu 25 Feb 2021, 9:56 am

In the thread he mentions right leg and ankle.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 25 Feb 2021, 12:45 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:Agreed very sad way for it all to end; could argue the Masters win was the perfect sign off for him and possibly best time he ever had to call it a day...

Ozzy, he is a black man who upturned the whitest of white sports. Do we need to look further for why Tiger wasn't embraced by golfers of a certain age?
McLaren
McLaren

Shotrock likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 25 Feb 2021, 10:56 pm

Don’t think it’s speculation that he was high on opioids. I think it’s more likely than not. The elephant in the room.

pedro

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 26 Feb 2021, 12:10 pm

I'm never wrong wrote:In the thread he mentions right leg and ankle.
Might not be as bad as could have been then re. his playing days.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 26 Feb 2021, 12:13 pm

McLaren wrote:

Ozzy, he is a black man who upturned the whitest of white sports. Do we need to look further for why Tiger wasn't embraced by golfers of a certain age?
Mac. If you've got nothing better to do than lob snide and tiresome accusations of racism around (again), with no supporting evidence or attempt to qualify, I suggest you take a break from here. You're directly implying I'm a racist. Your behaviour re. stereotyping is pathetic and massively hypocritical. If you do it again, I'll take steps. Why? Because I'm bored of it and I can.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 26 Feb 2021, 12:16 pm

pedro wrote:Don’t think it’s speculation that he was high on opioids. I think it’s more likely than not. The elephant in the room.
Except it's already been discounted by the US police as not the case:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56193243

The elephant has left the building...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 26 Feb 2021, 12:23 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:

The issue is that Tiger ruptured the ACL and damaged the cartilage of his left knee, which required surgery in 2008. So he now has 2 bad legs and a duff back.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 26 Feb 2021, 12:31 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
Mac. If you've got nothing better to do than lob snide and tiresome accusations of racism around (again), with no supporting evidence or attempt to qualify, I suggest you take a break from here. You're directly implying I'm a racist. Your behaviour re. stereotyping is pathetic and massively hypocritical. If you do it again, I'll take steps. Why? Because I'm bored of it and I can.

I will not back down on this. I am almost certain that the lack of enthusiasm towards Tiger in certain demographics is due to racism, conscious or not.

You claim you don't hate Tiger but the media storm around him, so why do you assume I am talking about you?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Fri 26 Feb 2021, 12:38 pm

McLaren wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

I will not back down on this. I am almost certain that the lack of enthusiasm towards Tiger in certain demographics is due to racism, conscious or not.

You claim you don't hate Tiger but the media storm around him, so why do you assume I am talking about you?

Almost certain isn't certainty and without being able to back up your statement it teeters on the verge of libel.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 26 Feb 2021, 12:43 pm

Soul

How much time did you spend in golf clubs in the late 90's/early 00's? I can assure you if you did you would know how obviously this is about racism.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat 27 Feb 2021, 10:55 am

People didn't like Tiger Woods because he was black. I think its a fair comment, I also think people still treat him differently to others because he is black. Remember the Fuzzy Zoehler comment, that was pur racism. I doubt he was the only one in the world.

Now, Tiger Woods doesn't come across overly likeable, though based on nothing more then his media personality. And irs the same with a lot of golfers. The worst being Poulter.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sat 27 Feb 2021, 3:22 pm

beninho wrote:People didn't like Tiger Woods because he was black. I think its a fair comment, I also think people still treat him differently to others because he is black.  Remember the Fuzzy Zoehler comment, that was pur racism. I doubt he was the only one in the world.

Now, Tiger Woods doesn't come across overly likeable, though based on nothing more then his media personality. And irs the same with a lot of golfers. The worst being Poulter.

Just shows how different we are Ben. I lost a lot of admiration for Woods due to his off course activities. I don't separate them from his golfing achievements, which will always be tainted for me. Whereas Poulter embraced social media and is very popular for it. I don't think he pretends to be anything he's not ("me and Tiger" comment apart) and maybe plays up to his persona. I quite like him for doing it, although it's not something I would do in his position.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sat 27 Feb 2021, 4:35 pm

McLaren wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

The issue is that Tiger ruptured the ACL and damaged the cartilage of his left knee, which required surgery in 2008. So he now has 2 bad legs and a duff back.
🤷 Guess he's getting worn out then. Not sure I've seen any mention that his left leg, post-repair, has been a problem, but guess we'll find out eventually.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sat 27 Feb 2021, 4:45 pm

McLaren wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

It's your careless generalisations and stereotyping, Mac. For someone who professes to be so socially aware, I'm surprised at you.

I don't doubt that there are elements of racist behaviour re. Woods in the age groups you're talking about, but unlike you, I don't assume that all white golfers of 'a certain age' must hold that sort of view. It's lazy and simply means those whom you most want to hear what you're saying, simply tune you out.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sat 27 Feb 2021, 4:48 pm

McLaren wrote:Soul

How much time did you spend in golf clubs in the late 90's/early 00's? I can assure you if you did you would know how obviously this is about racism.
Rolling Eyes
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sat 27 Feb 2021, 4:55 pm

beninho wrote:Some People didn't like Tiger Woods because he was black. I think its a fair comment, I also think some people still treat him differently to others because he is black.  Remember the Fuzzy Zoehler comment, that was pur racism. I doubt he was the only one in the world.

Fixed some bits of that for you.

Woods' media presence was so fake, Trump probably loved it. Didn't help people to like him. No, that bit has nothing to do w/ his being black.

He was a brilliant player in his prime, no doubt about that and I wanted him to complete his so-called 'Tiger Slam' as much as anyone, but I really, truly, hate the media fawning over him.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat 27 Feb 2021, 5:11 pm

Whike Woods, is well detached from reality and probably has been fir a long time, like a lot if them. I don't doubt that he, like most are probably pretty decent people. Players talk about him fondly. It's just high profile sport is so media managed by personal reps and TV coverage.

It's why I like the NLU pods with players helps show a different side. I think Rory comes across well, and less heralded playersike Homa and Fitzpatrick.

But, to get to this level of success for many, they need to be so driven and probably selfish. Maybe part of what gets them where they are, means it's hard for them to be relatable.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sat 27 Feb 2021, 11:20 pm

Pleasantly surprised at how well this course is playing. Some interesting holes out there.

Rory ramping up his game nicely for Augusta. This year my bet will pay off. For sure.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sun 28 Feb 2021, 8:02 am

navyblueshorts wrote: but I really, truly, hate the media fawning over him.
I agree. Players are going to "show support" for him by wearing black and red. I think that's a bit over the top.

I'm never wrong

LadyPutt and navyblueshorts like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 28 Feb 2021, 8:10 am

This course seems good to watch. And shows cut and slopes round the greens are better then rough. Liked watching the occasional struggle on 13.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sun 28 Feb 2021, 10:50 am

beninho wrote:This course seems good to watch. And shows cut and slopes round the greens are better then rough. Liked watching the occasional struggle on 13.
Why do we get pleasure from watching the best players struggle or make mistakes? Is it so we can say "Now you know how we feel"?

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 28 Feb 2021, 11:52 am

Golf isn't meant to be easy! But it's good to see players hit shots like me occasionally.

Though, that hole had eagles and double bogeys so, its not unfair

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun 28 Feb 2021, 1:07 pm

I'm never wrong wrote:
I agree. Players are going to "show support" for him by wearing black and red. I think that's a bit over the top.
Yeah vomit. How laughable is that? He broke his legs in a self-induced car wreck. He's had surgery and is recovering. Wow. I wish him well, but...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 28 Feb 2021, 5:18 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
I'm never wrong wrote:
Yeah :vomit:. How laughable is that? He broke his legs in a self-induced car wreck. He's had surgery and is recovering. Wow. I wish him well, but...

Navy I don't think you understand how profound Tigers impact was on a certain age of golf fan. For those who got into golf in the late 90's, Tiger is golf. Put it this way I was in genuine panic until I found out he had only suffered a broken leg in the crash.

If you want to get an idea of what Tiger means to some of us I will echo Ben's recommendation of listening to the NLU podcast. Those guys get it.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 28 Feb 2021, 5:35 pm

beninho wrote:This course seems good to watch. And shows cut and slopes round the greens are better then rough. Liked watching the occasional struggle on 13.

Definitely should be added to the Tours regular schedule, rewards good shots but there is also the chance for big scores you don’t see at other courses if you put yourself in the wrong position. Think they could really ramp up the green speed if they wanted pure carnage too
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 28 Feb 2021, 5:37 pm

This course is certainly a lot more appealing than a lot of Jacks efforts at golf architecture.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 28 Feb 2021, 7:32 pm

After just reading about weekend pairings. Why don't tournaments get to choose the pairings of tied players. I can't think 9f a reason why not.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun 28 Feb 2021, 8:59 pm

McLaren wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
I'm never wrong wrote:
Yeah vomit. How laughable is that? He broke his legs in a self-induced car wreck. He's had surgery and is recovering. Wow. I wish him well, but...

Navy I don't think you understand how profound Tigers impact was on a certain age of golf fan. For those who got into golf in the late 90's, Tiger is golf. Put it this way I was in genuine panic until I found out he had only suffered a broken leg in the crash.

If you want to get an idea of what Tiger means to some of us I will echo Ben's recommendation of listening to the NLU podcast. Those guys get it.
Good grief. Grow up. Is your mental health OK?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 28 Feb 2021, 9:09 pm

It wasn't on Tuesday night.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 04 Mar 2021, 1:22 pm

Bob Macintyre is making his first start in a regular PGAT event at this weeks APinv. It didn't go so well for him at the WGC-Workday where he finished T61, which leaves me wondering what would be a decent result for him this week? It has not always been easy for top Europeans to adjust to playing on the PGAT. How long should it take to get used to playing on a new tour. It would be nice to see him make the cut. I am not sure how secure his top 50 ranking is (he is currently 43) but his aim for his stretch in the US has to be getting into the Masters via the top 50 the week prior.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 04 Mar 2021, 10:28 pm

Billy Ho being a little bitch.

https://twitter.com/ericpeytongolf/status/1367574700335988749?s=20
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 04 Mar 2021, 10:35 pm

And again.

https://twitter.com/launchanglegolf/status/1367592845616451585?s=20
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 21  Next