The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGATour Running Commentary January 2022

+20
JDizzle
superflyweight
robopz
Plunky
pedro
beninho
TM2K
Good Golly I'm Olly
BlueCoverman
super_realist
RDW
Davie
ralphjohn69
LadyPutt
JAS
Shotrock
McLaren
incontinentia
I'm never wrong
GPB
24 posters

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

PGATour Running Commentary January 2022 - Page 11 Empty PGATour Running Commentary January 2022

Post by GPB Sat 01 Jan 2022, 2:32 pm

First topic message reminder :

Happy New Year.  After a nearly a year and half, its time for a new thread.

39 ofthe 40 Players eligible to play Sentry ToC are playing.  Only one missing is Rory McIlroy.

GPB

Back to top Go down

PGATour Running Commentary January 2022 - Page 11 Empty Re: PGATour Running Commentary January 2022

Post by pedro Wed 20 Jul 2022, 2:47 pm

Well done super. So a round around 72 then?

Did you play from the same tees?

pedro

Back to top Go down

PGATour Running Commentary January 2022 - Page 11 Empty Re: PGATour Running Commentary January 2022

Post by super_realist Wed 20 Jul 2022, 3:00 pm

pedro wrote:Well done super. So a round around 72 then?

Did you play from the same tees?

Mostly the same tees. The only tees where there is any significant difference of say more than half to one club are
5, 10, 12,13,14,15 and 17. Bearing in mind that these guys are at least 50 yards longer than me off the tee it evens things out a bit.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 20 Jul 2022, 3:04 pm

Shotrock wrote:Super - Given your familiarity with TOC I would be interested in your take on Cam Smith's 3rd shot on 17. I thought it was brilliant and that he played the contours perfectly ... too far left and he might have gone in the bunker ... too far right and he's got a 20+ footer for par. Would you have done the same or attempted a flop shot from the tight lie?

Also, are the green speeds pretty much consistent year round?

My tactic on 17 is to take yardage to the front of the green. This takes out the bunker or over hitting and ending up on the road.
I remember once being in Cams position I putted into the bunker so now I'd probably flop it as it's a shot I'm good at.

Greens are reasonably consistent, more time is spent in summer obviously due to tourists whilst in winter greens are still decent but you can tell that predominantly local golfers matter less to the links. It is never what you call fast though and are inferior to Carnoustie as surfaces

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed 20 Jul 2022, 8:38 pm

Thanks Super.

Hope to get over there one of these days. Actually paid for a trip that was cancelled due to covid ... Had Crail and Elie lined up as well. Also, a buddy of mine is the club champ at Royal Burgess, so hoping to add that to the mix.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 20 Jul 2022, 10:24 pm

Shotrock wrote:Thanks Super.

Hope to get over there one of these days. Actually paid for a trip that was cancelled due to covid ... Had Crail and Elie lined up as well. Also, a buddy of mine is the club champ at Royal Burgess, so hoping to add that to the mix.

I live right next to Burgess

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 21 Jul 2022, 12:50 am

Super - If I make that trip, we should play.

I also really enjoy playing classic courses.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 21 Jul 2022, 7:36 am

Shotrock wrote:Super - If I make that trip, we should play.

Definitely. Elie is a gem too. No par 5's but the 13th is one of the best par 4's you'll ever see.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Thu 21 Jul 2022, 10:20 am

Shotrock wrote:Super - If I make that trip, we should play.

You’ll pass me on the way to Crail and Elie - but you probably wouldn’t fancy playing Lundin Ladies! Although it is a great 9-hole James Braid course open to men as well and I’ve just played my way into the final of the 9-hole Club Championship.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 21 Jul 2022, 2:34 pm

super_realist wrote:

You live in silverknowes/muirhouse?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 21 Jul 2022, 2:48 pm

McLaren wrote:
super_realist wrote:

You live in silverknowes/muirhouse?
Barnton Mac

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 01 Aug 2022, 2:12 pm

Super will love this…

Bubba on why he joined LIV (for $50m):

“My wife loved it,” Watson said, “we prayed about it, we came to the decision and here we are.”

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 01 Aug 2022, 2:28 pm

I prayed to win the lottery this weekend. Did not work 😄

Shotrock

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 19 Aug 2022, 2:36 pm

LIV impact?

The BMW championship is being conducted about 20 miles from my house. It was last held in this area in 2018 and, I know it's only day 1, but the crowds seem a lot smaller. (Both courses -- Aronimink 2018 and now Wilmington CC pull from the same metro area.)

Rory could be at the top of the leaderboard save for his triple bogey on 15 -- par 3.

Early days still.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Fri 19 Aug 2022, 2:52 pm

Shotrock wrote:LIV impact? It was last held in this area in 2018

Weather was bad in 2018 as I recall....

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 19 Aug 2022, 3:16 pm

Very hot the first couple of days ... and then cool and wet.

Beautiful weather here at the moment. Chance for rain Sunday.

C'mon Rory!!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 23 Aug 2022, 10:44 am

Shotrock

I haven't seen any numbers for spectators but from watching on TV the course looked pretty empty. Doubt it would be because of the Saudi stuff, but you never know.

Is the PGAT now too woke for the US general public?

And can Cantlay please go to the Saudi golf league. He has had a compete charisma bypass. Always a tough week when he wins.
McLaren
McLaren

incontinentia likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 23 Aug 2022, 2:10 pm

McLaren wrote:Shotrock

I haven't seen any numbers for spectators but from watching on TV the course looked pretty empty. Doubt it would be because of the Saudi stuff, but you never know.

And can Cantlay please go to the Saudi golf league. He has had a compete charisma bypass. Always a tough week when he wins.

Charisma bypass? Your demi god Woods is about as wooden as you can get.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 25 Aug 2022, 8:40 am

super_realist wrote:

I'd love to see a highlights reel of Cantlay's most exciting moments stacked up against Tiger's.

Have a look at this clinic from Woods in 2004 to see how engaging and humorous he can be (check out the 5:00 mark).

incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 25 Aug 2022, 9:36 am

incontinentia wrote:
super_realist wrote:

I'd love to see a highlights reel of Cantlay's most exciting moments stacked up against Tiger's.

Have a look at this clinic from Woods in 2004 to see how engaging and humorous he can be (check out the 5:00 mark).

A laugh every 18 years?

super_realist

pedro and incontinentia like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 25 Aug 2022, 9:42 am

super_realist wrote:
incontinentia wrote:
super_realist wrote:

A laugh every 18 years?
If the media exposed all your romantic conquests, you'd be cagey about opening up to them too.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sun 28 Aug 2022, 7:06 pm

Looks like the FedEx cup is Scheffler's to lose. Rory not off to the best start, but you never know.

Some more defections to LIV. It will be very interesting (to me at least) to see how this thing plays out over the next few years. Just like the US car industry has been shaken up (woken up?) by Tesla, the PGA has certainly been making some fast changes due to the Saudis.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 29 Aug 2022, 12:05 am

RORY!!!!

Spectacular save on 16.

Cream rises to the top.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 29 Aug 2022, 11:38 am

Good job by Rory, but Scottie will be kicking himself with both feet.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 29 Aug 2022, 4:07 pm

I bet LIV was hoping for a Scheffler win. A PGAT dominated by Scheffler and Cantlay is the best that could happen for the LIV Tour.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 30 Aug 2022, 7:32 am

pedro wrote:I bet LIV was hoping for a Scheffler win. A PGAT dominated by Scheffler and Cantlay is the best that could happen for the LIV Tour.

Does Schleffer have acromegaly? He's an odd looking man, looks at least 40.

super_realist

incontinentia likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 30 Aug 2022, 10:49 am

If the Majors paid out like the fedex then Rory would be homing in on Jacks 18 majors.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 31 Aug 2022, 7:57 am

McLaren wrote:If the Majors paid out like the fedex then Rory would be homing in on Jacks 18 majors.
Why isnt he gone to LIV then? I wish he would shut up, his constant banging on about LIV has gotten very tiresome
incontinentia
incontinentia

pedro and ralphjohn69 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 31 Aug 2022, 10:50 am

incontinentia wrote:
McLaren wrote:If the Majors paid out like the fedex then Rory would be homing in on Jacks 18 majors.
Why isnt he gone to LIV then? I wish he would shut up, his constant banging on about LIV has gotten very tiresome

I really admire what Rory is doing to combat the Saudis. Why should he shut up? Would you be ok with the Saudi regime ruining the thing you are passionate about? If only more people would stand up to regimes like the Saudis (Eg UK government or Newcastle fans).
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 31 Aug 2022, 12:15 pm

McLaren wrote:
incontinentia wrote:

I really admire what Rory is doing to combat the Saudis. Why should he shut up? Would you be ok with the Saudi regime ruining the thing you are passionate about? If only more people would stand up to regimes like the Saudis (Eg UK government or Newcastle fans).
I admire that he didnt take the money (although he's already loaded) but I dont think he cares about the Saudi regime at all, he just cares about the effect LIV is having on top-tier golf.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 31 Aug 2022, 5:04 pm

McLaren wrote:
incontinentia wrote:

Or Lewis Hamilton?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 01 Sep 2022, 9:48 am

incontinentia wrote:
McLaren wrote:
incontinentia wrote:

I admire that he didnt take the money (although he's already loaded) but I dont think he cares about the Saudi regime at all, he just cares about the effect LIV is having on top-tier golf.
Rory is golfs Prince of wokeness. Don't think he cares about the PGAT, only his own self image. Remember, he never had a problem taking appearance money from tournaments in dodgy places, or shafting the ET.

pedro

ralphjohn69 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 01 Sep 2022, 11:29 am

No reason to think Rory and Tiger aren't genuine in their concern for the PGAT. They both seem like decent people and probably realise the PGAT is what made them who they. And are happy to pay it back.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sun 11 Sep 2022, 11:18 pm

Go big Shane.

This event played right into the hands of the LIV guys -- 54 holes and all.

I do wish more events were played (and televised) on heathland courses.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 12 Sep 2022, 6:16 am

My favourite type of course.
I wish the Open would break with their silly links tradition and add a couple of heathland courses to the rota

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 12 Sep 2022, 11:32 am

super_realist wrote:My favourite type of course.
I wish the Open would break with their silly links tradition and add a couple of heathland courses to the rota
I get your point. But links courses is what sets The Open apart. It may be dull viewing at times but I think it’s good that some tourneys have a certain character.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 19 Sep 2022, 10:48 am

Danny Willett? Full choke.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 19 Sep 2022, 3:57 pm

Ouch for Danny Willett.

But top professionals have short memories ... this will test his.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 19 Sep 2022, 7:23 pm

Three putts happen.
Willett has been doing quite nicely in recent seasons. Swing looks tremendous. It's not a major, or even a big tournament so I think he'll get over it quite quickly, a sleepness night or two, but back to business soon.
Not a bad place to learn a lesson of this type. Choke? Probably, not a big deal in the course of a career.

super_realist

LadyPutt and navyblueshorts like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 20 Sep 2022, 7:47 am

I said this on the other thread. Danny Willet had come back from worse then missing a putt to win a pfa event over recent years.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 20 Sep 2022, 11:45 am

Super

I shanked a 70/80 yard wedge OB from the middle of the fairway (second shot, short par 4) on the final hole of a fairly important junior event while A/S, and I think about it relatively often to this day. The shame and embarrassment I felt in that moment will never leave me.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 20 Sep 2022, 5:48 pm

McLaren wrote:Super

I shanked a 70/80 yard wedge OB from the middle of the fairway (second shot, short par 4) on the final hole of a fairly important junior event while A/S, and I think about it relatively often to this day. The shame and embarrassment I felt in that moment will never leave me.

I lost a club championship from being 3 up after 22 holes. Never slept that night, but learned a lot from it. Expect Willett will too.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by ralphjohn69 Tue 20 Sep 2022, 8:48 pm

Club championship semi-final last year, 1 down playing the 16th but have a 15-footer for birdie to square the match. I left it 3 feet short and dribbled the 3 footer wide of the hole to go 2 down. 17th is a driveable par 4 with OB & trees short & right; after my opponent has hit his tee shot safely to within 40 yards of the green I thin/slice my tee shot straight OB and shake his hand before leaving the tee. I still think about that 5 minutes, and those 3 shots, 2 or 3 times a week.

ralphjohn69

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 21 Sep 2022, 10:41 am

super_realist wrote:
McLaren wrote:Super

I lost a club championship from being 3 up after 22 holes. Never slept that night, but learned a lot from it. Expect Willett will too.

Wouldn't say that was a choke Super. to lose 4 holes in 14 can happen to anyone if they other player gets a bit hot. On what hole did your opponent take back the lead?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 21 Sep 2022, 10:48 am

ralphjohn69 wrote:Club championship semi-final last year, 1 down playing the 16th but have a 15-footer for birdie to square the match.  I left it 3 feet short and dribbled the 3 footer wide of the hole to go 2 down.  17th is a driveable par 4 with OB & trees short & right; after my opponent has hit his tee shot safely to within 40 yards of the green I thin/slice my tee shot straight OB and shake his hand before leaving the tee.  I still think about that 5 minutes, and those 3 shots, 2 or 3 times a week.

I managed similar in a stroke play event. It was tough conditions and no one was breaking par. The leading scores in the house were +3 and +4. I had a 6 foot birdie putt on the 15th to get back to level. Raced it by and 3 putted for a bogey. The next 3 holes were some of the worst golf I have ever played. I think I was +5 for the final 3 holes.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 21 Sep 2022, 10:59 am

2016, Norfolk coast.

Was 1 up with one to play. Thought I'd hit my putt ok but left it ridiculously short. Nerves had got to me. Opponent steps up, rolls it straight through the T-Rex's mouth, doesn't clip any of the teeth on the way through. Ball goes through the dinosaurs body, clean as a whistle, and then rolls down the gully on T-Rex's tail and settles about 8 inches from the hole. I was rattled. Took 3 more shots to get it through Rexy's jaws. Kept clipping the teeth hazard. Pretty big teeth to navigate past when you're low on confidence.

Son rolls his putt in comfortably whilst I took another couple of shots to sink mine.

It's never left me.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 24 Oct 2022, 6:45 pm

Meanwhile .... Rory returns to World #1 ... would really like to see him bag a major or two in 2023. He's most likely in the prime of his career.

And ... will the green coats make any exceptions to their qualifying rules for contracted LIV players? I would be surprised.

Shotrock

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 25 Oct 2022, 9:23 am

Shotrock wrote:Meanwhile .... Rory returns to World #1 ... would really like to see him bag a major or two in 2023. He's most likely in the prime of his career.

And ... will the green coats make any exceptions to their qualifying rules for contracted LIV players? I would be surprised.

Highly doubt it - most of the LIV players they would want to play, are either already qualified as past champions, or previous finish/current OGWR ranking. There was some rumours that they would ban all LIV players, but I just can't see them stepping out and doing that (albeit as far as I understand, they are well within their rights to do so, with the tournament of course being an invitational)
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 25 Oct 2022, 10:42 am

Would love to see Rory bag some more majors but there has to be a worry that 2022 was his chance to do that given how phenomenal he has been this year, and the chance has passed him by. Just have to hope he comes out next season and continues his form. He was playing this well at the back end of 2019 and then didn't turn up in 2020.
McLaren
McLaren

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 26 Oct 2022, 4:13 am

Why would they ban anyone? It can hardly qualify as a Major if it doesn’t field all the best players in the world.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 26 Oct 2022, 9:21 am

pedro wrote:Why would they ban anyone? It can hardly qualify as a Major if it doesn’t field all the best players in the world.

Only Cam Smith is relevant anyway. Unless the Saudis can recruit some more top 20 players over the winter it isn't looking as rosy as it did for them after they tempted the open champ.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next