The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gene Tunney vs James J Corbett

+3
Rowley
HumanWindmill
The genius of PBF
7 posters

Go down

Gene Tunney vs James J Corbett Empty Gene Tunney vs James J Corbett

Post by The genius of PBF Tue 14 Jun 2011, 10:44 am

I think Tunney probably destroys Corbett.

Last edited by The genius of PBF on Mon 01 Aug 2011, 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Gene Tunney vs James J Corbett Empty Re: Gene Tunney vs James J Corbett

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 14 Jun 2011, 10:49 am

I believe that Tunney wins, but I don't believe it would be easy.

Very, very similar in style, these two, and the pair actually boxed an exhibition during the twenties, when Corbett was pushing sixty years old, after which Tunney announced that he had learned a great deal. I've seen a short clip of the session - Corbett is wearing trousers ! - and Corbett's style looks very ' dated ' but Tunney was no fool, and he wasn't very forthcoming with compliments, so I believe that we can say he was sincere in his appreciation of Corbett. Jack Johnson claimed to have been hugely influenced by Corbett, also.

Tunney to win over the long haul, but not by a landslide, in my opinion.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 14 Jun 2011, 10:52 am

Think you are being a little harsh on Corbett. To go 61 rounds with a nigh prime Peter Jackson is no mean feat as I am sure Dave will be along to point out soon enough. Also pushed a prime Fitzsimmons close every time they fought and whilst not a massive heavyweight Fitz is a huge puncher and a genuine all time great. However would still have to fancy Tunney, for me does everything Corbett does just that little bit better and with the natural size advantage.

However it should be noted these two fighters sparred in a playful session, and even allowing for the fact the spar was friendly and Corbett was a middle aged man Tunney spoke with awe at some of Corbett's defensive moves and his ability to parry, slip and feint shots. Also worth noting Tunney was never too quick to heap praise on those that had come before him, so his words carry weight.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Tue 14 Jun 2011, 10:53 am

HumanWindmill wrote:I believe that Tunney wins, but I don't believe it would be easy.

Very, very similar in style, these two, and the pair actually boxed an exhibition during the twenties, when Corbett was pushing sixty years old, after which Tunney announced that he had learned a great deal. I've seen a short clip of the session - Corbett is wearing trousers ! - and Corbett's style looks very ' dated ' but Tunney was no fool, and he wasn't very forthcoming with compliments, so I believe that we can say he was sincere in his appreciation of Corbett. Jack Johnson claimed to have been hugely influenced by Corbett, also.

You got a link to this session windy?...Would be interested in seeing this

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 14 Jun 2011, 10:56 am

The genius of PBF wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:I believe that Tunney wins, but I don't believe it would be easy.

I'll see if I can find it, PBF. Can't promise, since it is a while since I saw it and can't remember where I found it, but watch this space. I'll spend a few minutes trying to find it for you.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Tue 14 Jun 2011, 10:59 am

HumanWindmill wrote:
The genius of PBF wrote:

I'll see if I can find it, PBF. Can't promise, since it is a while since I saw it and can't remember where I found it, but watch this space. I'll spend a few minutes trying to find it for you.

Thanks windy much appreciated thumbsup

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Tue 14 Jun 2011, 11:02 am

Nice article.

Corbett's feints and tricks will give most fighters trouble - but that doesn't mean he wins. To be able to defend yourself for over 60 rounds against Jackson - whilst returning fire is no mean feat.

Now Tunney for me could do it all - outboxed the fearsome Dempsey and had skills and power. So I'd back him to beat Corbett - especially over a shorter distance. But if they fought 10 imes - especially if they fought over 60 something rounds - I'd reckon on Corbett to nick a few.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeb the owl Tue 14 Jun 2011, 11:06 am

think this is the link windy talking about:

http://orphanfilmsymposium.blogspot.com/2008_05_01_archive.html

Zeb the owl

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 14 Jun 2011, 11:12 am

Zeb the owl wrote:think this is the link windy talking about:

http://orphanfilmsymposium.blogspot.com/2008_05_01_archive.html

Bingo !

Thanks very much, Zeb. You just saved me a deal of trouble.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 14 Jun 2011, 11:17 am

I'd back Tunney, for much the same reasons as have already been pointed out. The naturally bigger man who dealt with a whole manner of styles, including the likes of Gibbons and Carpentier who, like Corbett, were truly rounded fighters, very good technically.

I think Jeff has hit the nail more or less on the head by saying that both Tunney and Corbett did largely the same things, but that Tunney did most of them that little bit better. Over fifteen rounds I believe Tunney has the upperhand more often than not, with the odds evening out a little more over a longer distance.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeb the owl Tue 14 Jun 2011, 11:27 am

Think everyone is in agreement about the result on this one, Neither fighter does anything badly and over the longer distance i agree that Corbett comes into the reckoning a bit more simply through the virtue of it being a bit more on home territory.

Saying that i would favour tunneys chances over the longer distance much more than i favour corbetts over the shorter so the nod would have to go to tunney. As already said, two very technically sound well rounded fighters, tunney is just that little bit 'rounder' for me though.

Zeb the owl

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Tue 14 Jun 2011, 11:31 am

Thanks Zeb and Windy...nice clip

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeb the owl Tue 14 Jun 2011, 11:37 am

The genius of PBF wrote:Thanks Zeb and Windy...nice clip

np, PBF, id never seen it before either, just got intrigued when it was mentioned.

Zeb the owl

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 14 Jun 2011, 4:52 pm

How does Tunney destroy Corbett.....They are two stylists from that age with Corbett the naturally bigger man...

Corbett was for me just as skillful as Tunney if less quick and the longer the fight goes on the better chance he has of wearing the smaller man down.

Don't forget there was a lot of clinching in those days..lot's of time to lean on the guy and take his legs.....

Corbett was ahead of his time and Tunney looked good in an era of brawlers...Not a great skill threshold difference!!

Corbett in a 25 round fight Tunney by decision in a 15..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down