The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 2023 Cricket World Cup

+21
wisden
Galted
Oakdene
Soul Requiem
msp83
dummy_half
Marky
Afro
Pal Joey
compelling and rich
JDizzle
GSC
alfie
Jetty
king_carlos
VTR
guildfordbat
KP_fan
eirebilly_01
Good Golly I'm Olly
Duty281
25 posters

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down

The 2023 Cricket World Cup - Page 6 Empty The 2023 Cricket World Cup

Post by Duty281 Mon 18 Sep 2023, 1:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

After the drama-free finish to the 2019 Cricket World Cup, the 2023 Cricket World Cup will finally get under way on the 5th October, having been initially delayed by Covid and then threatened by a Pakistani boycott.

England are the defending champions, and they're also the reigning T20 World Champions. Doubleplusgood, eh? They're looking to be the first nation to win consecutive ODI World Cups since the Aussie vintage of 1999-2007. Biggest adversaries to that are likely to be India, who haven't won a major global competition since the 2013 Champions Trophy, but will no doubt be heartened by the knowledge that the last three ODI World Cups have been won by a host nation.

Five-time winners Australia can never be ruled out, while Pakistan are fueled by a burning motivation to win the World Cup in the homeland of their greatest rivals. New Zealand have made the last two finals - losing the last on boundary count, would you believe? - and will hope to make the final step this year.

South Africa will presumably think they're due to win something, as they've not won a global competition since the 1998 Champions Trophy, while the Afghans will believe they can spin anyone into submission. Bangladesh will be hoping to make a sizable impact at the ODI World Cup for the first time.

Sri Lanka breezed through qualifying and will be encouraged by making the recent Asia Cup final, even if they did get hammered in said final. The Netherlands round off the ten teams after performing minor miracles in qualification, which of course means the West Indies, the winners of the first two ODI World Cups, will be missing out on this tournament for the very first time.

The ten-team format for the World Cup remains as simple as ever. Ten teams all play each other once, and the top four teams in the group at the end of it go through to the semi-finals, where it becomes a straight knockout. 48 matches total. There will be reserve days for the three knockout matches and, if necessary, Super Overs. But you can't win games on boundary count anymore...

Fixtures:

Tournament Odds:

Squad Lists (Teams have until the 28th September to finalise their squads):

Last edited by Duty281 on Thu 28 Sep 2023, 3:36 pm; edited 6 times in total

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Pal Joey, guildfordbat, alfie, king_carlos and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

The 2023 Cricket World Cup - Page 6 Empty Re: The 2023 Cricket World Cup

Post by Duty281 Wed 11 Oct 2023, 12:12 pm

I said I hoped the Afghan bowlers would make it interesting, but it's actually this fourth wicket stand that's making it interesting!

They might lift Afghanistan over 300, although that is unlikely to be enough on another (yawn-inducing) near-perfect batting surface with small boundaries.

Sorry Afghanistan, wicket falls just as I post that.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 11 Oct 2023, 12:31 pm

Well I don't expect them to post a winning score , but the Afghans are making India work : 201/4 and some 13 overs left. Will be interesting to see how India approach a chase of (potentially) rather more modest proportions than some.

That was a fascinating dissertation by dummy_half on the vicissitudes of NRR ... but after reading all that detail my head hurts Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 11 Oct 2023, 1:05 pm

Does seem a theme of this tournament has been teams struggling to accelerate at the end so far. The cameo innings seem tough atm
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 11 Oct 2023, 1:31 pm

272. Well it's credible, but shouldn't be anywhere near enough. Afghanistan were unfortunate with a couple of 'umpire's call' decisions going against them. Let's see if Rashid or Mujeeb have some magic to trouble India.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Wed 11 Oct 2023, 1:34 pm

That's an interesting score, should not realistically trouble India but it is a very defendable score at the same time. First 15 overs of the chase will be telling for me.

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed 11 Oct 2023, 1:34 pm

from 60 odd for 3 to 272 is a good recovery and a good total.
This is a slippery game for India...because the pitch is not a patta....there is a gentle sprinkle of grass ...giving some seam movement and bounce off a length if you dig it in.

Plus the Indian spinner got purchase in their second spell which along with Bumrah restricted Afg to only 272 from 211-4 in 40 overs.
Afg will be happy they have a middish total to bowl at & will hope Ind come under pressure

This is more like the pitches we saw in Asia cup in SL
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Wed 11 Oct 2023, 2:29 pm

Sharma not holding back here...

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 11 Oct 2023, 2:31 pm

India have raced to 50 in 6.1 overs, like a T20 game. It's a cruise. Don't think 372 would have been enough for Afghanistan.

It'll be 20% of the way through the group stage, nine games in, after this match. It's all been a bit crap so far, hasn't it? Not sure of any games that will live long in the memory. By contrast, in 2019 after nine games we'd already seen three/four close finishes.

Duty281

VTR likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 11 Oct 2023, 2:55 pm

A bit yeah. It feels like the group stage is probably a bit too long with 45 games and then immediately two semis and a final to follow. There will be jeopardy at the end of the group stage but probably takes a bit too long to get there

Maybe 16 teams of two groups of 8 or 4 groups of 4 would've worked better with quarter finals added.
GSC
GSC

Good Golly I'm Olly and VTR like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Wed 11 Oct 2023, 3:17 pm

Outstanding century from Rohit Sharma, simply stunning thumbsup

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed 11 Oct 2023, 3:49 pm

All boxes checked for India with bat......and Afg's bowling is not bad.
Just not disciplined enough .
Though there was a lot of talk about Gill missing as a loss for India....I think there is no weakening of side when Ishan replaces him.
India blundered by not playing Ishan as the WK in tests vs Aus and WTC final

Indian Bowling was a bit underwhelming though ......
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 11 Oct 2023, 4:32 pm

That was a thumping and a half. Three no-hopers in this group phase - Sri Lanka, Afghanistan and the Netherlands - and it's important for teams with ambitions of going all the way to maximise their points total against those no-hopers. So far, so done, as the no-hopers record reads a combined 0-6.

Australia and South Africa tomorrow. This looks a good match-up, and it might be the one where we see the first close finish of the World Cup. It's a pressure game for Australia because if they lose then they'll be the only one of the semi-final contenders to be on zero points after two games, which would put them in danger of being cut adrift from the pack.

Let's just hope we get something to spark the tournament into life.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 11 Oct 2023, 4:59 pm

Losing Head was a gigantic blow for Australia. Their batting looks so short of firepower without him.

Warner's numbers have actually held up really well. He doesn't look quite the force he once was (he was one of the best white ball batters we've seen at his peak in ODIs and T20) but he's still a strong opener in the format. With Head's obscene performance since going up to open they had a gun pair to get things started.

Without that it just looks very meh. I don't think Smudge and Labuschagne in the same middle order will work against the best. Maxi has always been hit and miss in ODIs but is increasingly missing. Carey is struggling to hit them. Green looks far better suited to the top order in white ball stuff. Stoinis is better suited there batting but weakens the bowling.

Add in that they have a few players looking a bit knackered - Border-Gavaskar, WTC, Ashes, CWC with a lot of players relied on across the formats. Then Zampa's recently excellent form seeming to evaporate.

They really need a win. Their seamers can still deliver. Cummins, Starc and Hazelwood are generational talents that have happened to play a ton of cricket together. Starc's CWC record is insane and he's bowling well with the white ball again. Outside of that it feels like a side that's struggling though.

king_carlos

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed 11 Oct 2023, 7:41 pm

GSC wrote:A bit yeah. It feels like the group stage is probably a bit too long with 45 games and then immediately two semis and a final to follow. There will be jeopardy at the end of the group stage but probably takes a bit too long to get there

Maybe 16 teams of two groups of 8 or 4 groups of 4 would've worked better with quarter finals added.

QF format does not work in cricket because its a K.O involving 8 teams.
And there are barely 8 top teams.......half of which get K.O in one go.
One bad hour and your are out of the World Cup devoids chance of recovery nor multiple games between top sides.

You have to get the top sides to all play each other allowing for recovery from a bad day to team and multiple top duels for the viewers
To get rid of meaningless games....it could be only 8 sides in world cup final round
OR get top six into a Super SIX
KP_fan
KP_fan

alfie and VTR like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed 11 Oct 2023, 7:48 pm

Duty281 wrote: Three no-hopers in this group phase - Sri Lanka, Afghanistan and the Netherlands -.

SL is better than BD & I would not write them off yet...they have lost only to SA & Pak...and have scored nearly 700 runs in those two games.
Aus could well be in the same boat as SL tomm if they lose to SA.....nor would I consider Aus out even in the event of their defeat tomm
Ned, SL, Afg and BD Bottom-Four  are in my view likely to scalp a Top-six each at some point when they hit their high & the top six have their low day.....which is bound to happen 1 in 9 games of all.

And of these bottom-four  SL has more skills than other and still has a chance of going all the way IMO
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed 11 Oct 2023, 7:52 pm

I think 6 wins will see you through and 5 wins might with NRR in play....and especially if  Bottom-Four starting winning their odd games vs top-6.

Look at the 1992 Table split between Top-6 and Bottom-3

4 wins were enuf to take Pak thru and they won their last 4 games
The Bottom-3 opened up the race by winning 1 game each against top-6
Ind beat Pak, SL beat SA and Zim beat Eng ( in that famous Chicken farmer Edo Brandes Games) and that win got them test status

The 2023 Cricket World Cup - Page 6 1999210

KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 11 Oct 2023, 9:32 pm

KP_fan wrote:
GSC wrote:A bit yeah. It feels like the group stage is probably a bit too long with 45 games and then immediately two semis and a final to follow. There will be jeopardy at the end of the group stage but probably takes a bit too long to get there

One bad hour and your are out  of the World Cup devoids chance of recovery nor multiple games between top sides.

You have to get the top sides to all play each other allowing for recovery from a bad day to team and multiple top duels for the viewers
To get rid of meaningless games....it could be only 8 sides in world cup final round

Well the format for 2027 will involve a Super Six. It'll be two groups of seven, top three in each go through to the Super Six, top four from the Super Six go to the semis. The same format as 2003. Means teams still have to play 11 games if they're going to win the World Cup, like this year.

Not a fan of expanding the World Cup, personally. 10 is fine.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 11 Oct 2023, 9:34 pm

KP_fan wrote:
Duty281 wrote: Three no-hopers in this group phase - Sri Lanka, Afghanistan and the Netherlands -.

SL is better than BD & I would not write them off yet...they have lost only to SA & Pak...and have scored nearly 700 runs in those two games.
Aus could well be in the same boat as SL tomm if they lose to SA.....nor would I consider Aus out even in the event of their defeat tomm
Ned, SL, Afg and BD Bottom-Four  are in my view likely to scalp a Top-six each at some point when they hit their high & the top six have their low day.....which is bound to happen 1 in 9 games of all.

And of these bottom-four  SL  has more skills than other and still has a chance of going all the way IMO

I wouldn't agree. I think Bangladesh have a shot of making the semis, but Sri Lanka are horrific and will be nowhere near.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 11 Oct 2023, 9:35 pm

KP_fan wrote:I think 6 wins will see you through and 5 wins might with NRR in play....and especially if  Bottom-Four starting winning their odd games vs top-6.

Look at the 1992 Table  split between Top-6 and Bottom-3

4 wins were enuf to take Pak thru and they won their last 4 games
The Bottom-3 opened up the race by winning 1 game each against top-6
Ind beat Pak,  SL beat SA and Zim beat Eng ( in that famous Chicken farmer Edo Brandes Games) and that win got them test status

The 2023 Cricket World Cup - Page 6 1999210

I think 2019 showed that six wins should almost certainly be enough. Five wins might do it, depending on NRR/rain.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 11 Oct 2023, 11:11 pm

Duty281 wrote:
KP_fan wrote:

One bad hour and your are out  of the World Cup devoids chance of recovery nor multiple games between top sides.

Well the format for 2027 will involve a Super Six. It'll be two groups of seven, top three in each go through to the Super Six, top four from the Super Six go to the semis. The same format as 2003. Means teams still have to play 11 games if they're going to win the World Cup, like this year.

Happy to hear different suggestions, my gripe with this format is it takes too long to really get to any tension/jeopardy, and then it's just about over at that point.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 11 Oct 2023, 11:54 pm

GSC wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
KP_fan wrote:

Happy to hear different suggestions, my gripe with this format is it takes too long to really get to any tension/jeopardy, and then it's just about over at that point.

Yeah, that's fair enough. I think it's too bloated as it is.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Thu 12 Oct 2023, 10:31 am

I don't mind this format from a pure sport perspective, but from an entertainment point of view it's definitely lacking. The tournament currently feels like a series of one off games where the consequences are completely unknown.

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 12 Oct 2023, 10:38 am

Solid platform established by South Africa - 80/0 after 15. de Kock doing most of the scoring.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 12 Oct 2023, 11:40 am

Solid enough platform , indeed. But at 160/2 in the 29th , with VdD just out , they will need to get a move on over the last 21 to set a really imposing total. They have the players to do so : Australia need a couple more wickets , I think.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 12 Oct 2023, 11:44 am

They should have had another one there. Very poor drop from Cummins off the batting of Markram, which would have put SA three down and on the back foot.

90-ball ton for de Kock. Tons are hardly special at this World Cup!

171/2 after 30 overs. Should be looking for 330+.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 12 Oct 2023, 11:45 am

Anyway de Kock has his hundred and might be set to go ballistic...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu 12 Oct 2023, 11:52 am

I have watched on and off a third of the overs & in that time itself I saw easy catches dropped by WK & Cummins
Can't drop easy one when contending a red hot QDK

the pitch I think has spin bit Aus does not have enuf resources and a captain who has shown to be think and does not read game / pitch / situation on the feet well
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 12 Oct 2023, 12:15 pm

Rather an unfortunate way to get out , QdK ... Maxwell being oddly effective today.

200 up , for three. Reckon they need a good last 14 overs. Surely want more than 300 ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 12 Oct 2023, 12:22 pm

Hazlewood and Cummins haven't looked 100% today. The pitch has had a bit of turn, though Zampa has made little impact, so Maxwell has been Australia's best bowler, although I do think SA have been a little too passive towards him.

Anyway, Maxwell's done now. 11 overs for Markram, Klassen, Miller and Jansen to push SA beyond 330. I think they need it.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu 12 Oct 2023, 12:24 pm

Even a fast and flat Maxwell was getting turn and SA have shams and Maharaj
AUS should have played another batsman for Hazelwood
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu 12 Oct 2023, 12:39 pm

Stoinis, Marsh, Green haven't bowl
A bowler or two too many
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Thu 12 Oct 2023, 12:44 pm

Never seen the point of Stoinis, he's the quintessential bits and pieces player who just takes up a place that would be better given to a specialist. He's not a big enough hitter to be coming in at 7.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 12 Oct 2023, 12:49 pm

Seems a pretty old Aussie side
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 12 Oct 2023, 1:25 pm

311. Very good last over from Starc keeping SA below 320. Jansen took too many dot balls in the final few overs, and Miller didn't get on strike enough. Australia's fielding needs serious work.

Australia should get this, but as indicated yesterday the pressure is firmly on them to win.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu 12 Oct 2023, 1:45 pm

Big aussie pacers slower cutters into the pitch were spinning like a booming off spinner and bouncing ( because of their height)
Aus delayed trying slow cutters for too late....and erred by not using theise limited over specialist Stoinis , Marsh who are adept to mixing it up.
I would say game even with SA Nose slightly ahead because I am a believer runs on board and pressure is on chasing side......but Rohit & Co made a mockery of this notion yesterday.

Marsh owes a cracking 80 ball 100

Last edited by KP_fan on Thu 12 Oct 2023, 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Thu 12 Oct 2023, 1:46 pm

Surely South Africa have to have a better opener than Bavuma, he is just too pedestrian for me. He may be good to come in at 3 or 4 when required to anchor an innings but he really is not an opener for me.

I am not so sure the Aussies will get this but agree that it could be very close.

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu 12 Oct 2023, 2:03 pm

eirebilly_01 wrote:Surely South Africa have to have a better opener than Bavuma, he is just too pedestrian for me. He may be good to come in at 3 or 4 when required to anchor an innings but he really is not an opener for me.

I am not so sure the Aussies will get this but agree that it could be very close.
There are white, black and mixed color players in SA and I have a feeling that there are some affirmative action type schemes, maybe unwritten because of which a certain proportion of the 3 colors get picked.

and I juts noted Bavuma is captain too
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Thu 12 Oct 2023, 2:12 pm

Not so sure it is a colour thing KP_fan as Bavuma would be far better suited to batting at 3 or 4 as I said. I just do not see him as an opener, he is much more suited to the anchor role like Root in ODI's.

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Thu 12 Oct 2023, 2:16 pm

eirebilly_01 wrote:Surely South Africa have to have a better opener than Bavuma, he is just too pedestrian for me. He may be good to come in at 3 or 4 when required to anchor an innings but he really is not an opener for me.

Unsure if these stats include todays innings.

Bavuma has opened 14 times in ODI's, he's scored 841 runs (4 centuries and 2 fifties) off of 842 balls faced, so a SR of basically 100. The numbers would suggest he's perfectly placed opening, the sample size is admittedly quite small.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu 12 Oct 2023, 2:20 pm

eirebilly_01 wrote:Not so sure it is a colour thing KP_fan as Bavuma would be far better suited to batting at 3 or 4 as I said. I just do not see him as an opener, he is much more suited to the anchor role like Root in ODI's.

from my p.o.v I see him a forced fit even in tests at any spot.....and on top of that he is captain
catches Marsh though now

Marsh was hardly getting anything in the middle of bat
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Thu 12 Oct 2023, 2:28 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:

Unsure if these stats include todays innings.

Bavuma has opened 14 times in ODI's, he's scored 841 runs (4 centuries and 2 fifties) off of 842 balls faced, so a SR of basically 100. The numbers would suggest he's perfectly placed opening, the sample size is admittedly quite small.

Actually decent stats those then. I must only ever se him when he is going at a snails pace during Power Plays then.

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 12 Oct 2023, 2:41 pm

Smith's out from that LBW? Erm

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu 12 Oct 2023, 2:42 pm

SA's pace attack is fast...and getting a bit of nip also
Aus struggling
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 12 Oct 2023, 2:49 pm

Absolute corker from Rabada and I think that's near-enough the game.

56/4. Still not sure about that DRS call. But no doubt about that one.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu 12 Oct 2023, 2:50 pm

you can0t have bits & pieces batter coming at 3-down and win a game against this qualty of pace
Inglis is a no. 8
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 12 Oct 2023, 2:50 pm

Marnus the last hope for Australia now?
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu 12 Oct 2023, 2:53 pm

Marsh, Inglis, Maxwell, Stoinis and Green are all no. 7 and no. 8 batters
that's Aus's problem
and that none of the above were needed for their bowling barring Maxwell
and that they are missing a 1st spinner quality spinner is another problem

Aussie have just turned up without a proper team
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Thu 12 Oct 2023, 3:10 pm

65/5.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 12 Oct 2023, 3:12 pm

GSC wrote:Marnus the last hope for Australia now?

Definitely now as Maxwell departs.

Had hoped this would be a close game, but looks as though South Africa are going to win by a distance.

Still relatively early, but Australia's World Cup hopes are already on the brink. 0-2, might need six wins from seven.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 12 Oct 2023, 3:17 pm

Good old Joel Wilson definitely got that one wrong, however. Still the worst umpire on the elite circuit. Good grab from the keeper.

Australia just need to try and salvage the NRR as best they can now. Get to 200.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next