The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All Blacks Squad: Scott Barrett named Captain

+3
formerly known as Sam
mountain man
Rugby Fan
7 posters

Go down

All Blacks Squad: Scott Barrett named Captain Empty All Blacks Squad: Scott Barrett named Captain

Post by Rugby Fan Mon 24 Jun 2024, 7:44 am

Props: Ethan de Groot, Lyrel Lomax, Fletcher Newell, Pasilio Tosi*, Ofa Tu'ungafasi, Tamaiti Williams

Hookers: Asafo Aumua, George Bell*, Codie Taylor

Locks: Scott Barrett (captain), Patrick Tuipulotu, Tupou Vaa'i

Loose forwards: Ethan Blackadder, Samipeni Finau, Luke Jacobson, Dalton Papali'i, Ardie Savea (vice-captain), Wallace Sititi*

Halfbacks: Finlay Christie, TJ Perenara, Cortez Ratima*

First-fives: Beauden Barrett, Damian McKenzie

Midfield: Jordie Barrett, Rieko Ioane, Anton Lienert-Brown, Billy Proctor*

Outside backs: Caleb Clarke, Emoni Narawa, Stephen Perofeta, Sevu Reece, Mark Tele'a

* new caps

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/international-rugby-all-blacks-squad-naming-for-england-tour-of-new-zealand/ZKL26FVIU5DYRLDW7CPYLI4I5A/

Pundits seems to think the selection suggests a new style of play, probably a faster tempo, attacking the outside. Savea was touted as another possible captaincy candidate. He has been named vice-captain.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

All Blacks Squad: Scott Barrett named Captain Empty Re: All Blacks Squad: Scott Barrett named Captain

Post by mountain man Mon 24 Jun 2024, 8:30 am

Beauden Barrett back at 10? Been a while since he was there not 15 I think(?).

How many of team are uncapped?

Anyway, whilst might not be NZ of old there's no such thing as a weak All Black team.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

All Blacks Squad: Scott Barrett named Captain Empty Re: All Blacks Squad: Scott Barrett named Captain

Post by Rugby Fan Mon 24 Jun 2024, 8:44 am

mountain man wrote:...How many of team are uncapped?...
Five in all (the names with asterisks by them)

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Mon 24 Jun 2024, 8:53 am

Oh yeah. Probably pays to read post fully.

Thought I'd read somewhere there was going to be more but anyway I'm sure they'll all be pretty useful.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Mon 24 Jun 2024, 9:47 am

Two Cents rugby does a ten minute run-down, highlighting where there were surprises,

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 24 Jun 2024, 10:46 am

The following players were not considered due to injury: Sam Cane, Will Jordan, Samisoni Taukei’aho, Cam Roigard.

Blues lock Sam Darry, Hurricanes outside back Ruben Love and the Crusaders pair of prop George Bower and midfielder David Havili will also assemble with the squad as cover.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 24 Jun 2024, 10:55 am

No Sotutu or Ioane from the title winning Blues backrow is a surprise.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 24 Jun 2024, 11:24 am

Huge front-row options. One injury to Barrett or Tuipulotu and they look pretty average there. Expected to see Sotutu in the back-row too.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Mon 24 Jun 2024, 12:49 pm

Shame that Cam Roigard is injured. He looked good in the World Cup. Still, having TJ Perenara back is far from bad!

As it's the ABs, if there are further injuries, the new guys often step up to the plate with huge performances. I still think it'll be closer than some reckon, but even as a hopeful English fan, I see 2x AB wins.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Mon 24 Jun 2024, 3:10 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:No Sotutu or Ioane from the title winning Blues backrow is a surprise.

Planet Rugby piece notes Sotutu generally doesn't go low in the tackle, which might have been a factor.

https://www.planetrugby.com/news/all-blacks-the-telling-stats-that-provide-clarity-to-hoskins-sotutus-snub

Telegraph notes if Sotutu doesn't get another NZ cap by November 2025, then he'll qualify for Fiji and England again, through his parents.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 24 Jun 2024, 4:27 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:No Sotutu or Ioane from the title winning Blues backrow is a surprise.

Planet Rugby piece notes Sotutu generally doesn't go low in the tackle, which might have been a factor.

https://www.planetrugby.com/news/all-blacks-the-telling-stats-that-provide-clarity-to-hoskins-sotutus-snub

Telegraph notes if Sotutu doesn't get another NZ cap by November 2025, then he'll qualify for Fiji and England again, through his parents.

Then Make Barrett captain Laugh

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 26 Jun 2024, 12:12 pm

A few notable absentees between retirement and injury.

Jordan is a huge blow. He's right up there with Penaud and Kolbe as one of the most rounded wings in the game.

There's still a hell of a squad in there of course.

1.de Groot
2.Taylor
3.Lomax
4.Vaa'i
5.Barrett
6.Jacobson
7.Papalii
8.Ardie

9.TJ
10.Beauden

11.Telea
12.Jordie
13.Reiko
14.Reece
15.DMac

16.Aumua
17.Tu'ungafasi
18.Williams
19.Tuipulotu
20.Sititi
21.Christie
22.ALB
23.Proctor

Tasty.

It's going to be a really intriguing series. Razor finally at the helm and Borthwick presumably continuing the development of England's tactics seen in the Six Nations.

The ABs are still heavy favourites at home but I'm really looking forward to these couple of tests.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 27 Jun 2024, 10:58 am

I'd have thought Clarke to be on the bench instead of both ALB and Proctor. Could we maybe see DMac and Beauden the other way round as well. Could be a bit controversial but DMac is both younger and has looked brilliant in Super Rugby this season, perhaps building for the next few years with him at 10.

I was a little surprised that a younger 10 such as Plummer or Cameron weren't included in the squad to bed them in for the next few years. Beauden is 33 now, Mo'unga is 30 and DMac is 29. At some point Razor is going to have to look at other options. Cameron at 27 and Plummer at 26 ain't exactly rookies.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down