The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGATour Running Commentary January 2022

+7
Shotrock
Good Golly I'm Olly
Duty281
incontinentia
owen10ozzy
super_realist
king_carlos
11 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

PGATour Running Commentary January 2022 - Page 2 Empty PGATour Running Commentary January 2022

Post by king_carlos Fri 14 Jun 2024, 4:30 pm

First topic message reminder :

incontinentia wrote:
super_realist wrote:Anyone want to hazard a guess when "Three Round Rory" will have his customary blow up?
Today probably, he's already +2 early doors.

Back to +1 for the day through 13. Given the scoring today, that's not bad going. He's had a couple of good putts role very close too. Similar to yesterday. It feels like he's putting himself in a position where he could suddenly go low if his putter heats up.

Schauffele has had a mini charge but it's tough going out there. Bryson has yo-yoed up and down to be level for the round. Tommy is having a bit of a mare, sadly.

I think they've got the conditions about spot on so far to be fair. It's right on that precipice where it's insanely tough, hence entertaining, but it hasn't crossed over into crazy golf territory where you might has well chuck a windmill and laughing clown on the green. Great watching thus far.

It's going to be really interesting to see how Cantlay and Ludvig fare later.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

PGATour Running Commentary January 2022 - Page 2 Empty Re: PGATour Running Commentary January 2022

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 17 Jun 2024, 11:06 am

owen10ozzy wrote:Well Rory choked for himself and the PGA......

Simple fact is of course he is world class and i'm sure doesnt give a tosh what the likes of me and others say but that was absolutely mind blowing; for all the wrong reasons. Every error from 15 onwards he could make he did.

That one is one you never come back from I dont care what anyone says. McIlroy will close his career with "just" the 4 majors phenonemal but nowhere what his talent should have. Between the ears and man on the bag has cost him at least another 3 or 4 majors along the way.
I don't think enough gets said about this. What he needed on 18 was someone to tell him to put his driver back in his bag and hit 2-iron; ditto the daft 7-iron on 17, even though he saved par there. Faldo was going mental in the booth, and quite rightly. The 18th wasn't so long that he needed to go anywhere near driver.

Last edited by navyblueshorts on Mon 17 Jun 2024, 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

PGATour Running Commentary January 2022 - Page 2 Empty Re: PGATour Running Commentary January 2022

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 17 Jun 2024, 11:11 am

super_realist wrote:I fear his career in retrospect is going to be seen through a "what if?" lens.
I'm sure his bank balance will help soften the disappointment, but I'd personally be unfulfilled to have "only" achieved what he has given his ludicrous skill. Like Woods, I think he's a bit lacking in the brains department.
Even Koepka has five majors.
Imagine what Woods could have achieved in the game if he had any brains! Honestly. Woods didn't win the Majors (and PGAT events) he has by lacking golfing brains, I'm afraid.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 17 Jun 2024, 11:15 am

Excellent US Open. The game needs more of that sort of challenge for the top players. Not every week, maybe, but it shows that it doesn't always have to be lush rough, too much water and balls stopping on a sixpence when hit to a green.

Pinehurst #2 on my bucket list as well - what a venue. Might need a lottery win, but can see much in booking a place to stay for a few weeks or so, and then playing every track there...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 17 Jun 2024, 11:16 am

JAS wrote:
super_realist wrote:McIlroy in relative terms is one of golfs big underachievers. One  the most naturally talented player in the last 30  years and only 4 majors, and none in over 10 years.
I really think his talent should have landed him 8-10 minimum.

I get 99.9% of golfers would love his career, but he should have won many more and for whatever reason he hasn't. Definitely think caddy is part of that, and would like to see him with a Billy Foster or someone like that as well as working with a proper short game coach on a permanent basis.

Jeez I don't think I've ever been as 100% aligned with one of your posts :-p
Ironically, apart from the last few holes yesterday, I thought his short game was exceptional the rest of the time.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 17 Jun 2024, 12:37 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
super_realist wrote:I fear his career in retrospect is going to be seen through a "what if?" lens.
I'm sure his bank balance will help soften the disappointment, but I'd personally be unfulfilled to have "only" achieved what he has given his ludicrous skill. Like Woods, I think he's a bit lacking in the brains department.
Imagine what Woods could have achieved in the game if he had any brains! Honestly. Woods didn't win the Majors (and PGAT events) he has by lacking golfing brains, I'm afraid.

As usual you're missing the point Navy.
Woods lack of brains are demonstrated by the laughable idea that he thought he could pump 100's of women and not be found out, his inability to drive a car without having an accident and his insane and ruinous exercise regime which ignored his legs and irreparably damaged his body. He now has a geriatrics body and can no longer compete.

Think of how many more opportunities he would have had had all these self inflicted injuries and needless absences (caused by his stupidity) not led to such extended time out? That's the point.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 17 Jun 2024, 1:06 pm

There has been push back against the term "choke" on here before, but even the chokerati have to admit what happened to Rory.

Not even sure it was the putting that actually did it for him, I know he missed those short putts but I think that stemmed from his nerves being shot to pieces by not being able to hit a golf shot after he got to -8.

Said it so many times, but an old school caddie like Steve Williams or Billy Foster would have gotten him over the line. Wrong club and wrong shot shape into both the par 3's up the stretch and a bone headed club choice up the 72nd.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 17 Jun 2024, 1:11 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:Well Rory choked for himself and the PGA......

Just on this "for the PGA" part - with every single passing major it becomes clearer the majors are the only events benefitting from what's happening with week to week professional golf between the PGA Tour and the Saudis. As many on here/pundits have said throughout.

None of the majors won by either "LIV" or "PGA Tour" guys these last few years mean anything when it comes to that tours product. It's an individual event, it's their own individual legacy.
Brooks winning in Oak Hill, Rahm going to LIV as Masters champion, Bryson's youtube haven't made a jot of difference to the LIV product or viewership/attendance. In the same way the PGA Tour continues to flail around in the wilderness despite numerous of "their guys" winning majors.

Yet there is some meaning to them all coming together four times a year and it now being the only time that Scottie/Rory play golf against Bryson/Brooks. Must be a bit similar to what it was like with Euro Tour/PGA back in the 80s?

The leadership of those two tours need to get a grip on things pronto, or else that chasm and apathy towards the week to week stuff is only going to increase, and pro golf will just continue towards being worth tuning in for four times a year and maybe the odd Sunday back nine on either tour on occasion.
For me that means reuniting the game, and also expanding where the golf is played to include Australia and some other countries rather than just touring the States and coming over here for two weeks in Open season. Also for the love of god go to some better golf courses, obviously not every week is going to be a major venue but the constant drivel the PGA Tour serves up course wise is off putting. If you were to watch this week going from Pinehurst to TPC River Highlands is gonna be jarring.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

navyblueshorts and wadey101 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 17 Jun 2024, 1:16 pm

Rory and Bryson were both largely excellent with their short game. They kept getting in trouble but getting out of it with fantastic wedge play and clutch putting. Then Rory missed 2 short ones, whilst Bryson only missed one.

The putt on 18th was a horrid one with that pressure. Lightning fast down hill left to right slider. If he missed high it would've just kept running. Tap it and you can easily miss low. Nasty. It was still a dire strike though. He practically topped it. The putt on 16 was easier despite being a foot longer. That was another awful strike though. It was really painful to watch unfold.

In situations like that, it's good to see it eventually won by a bit of brilliance from the victor, rather than solely the runner up f***ing it. Obviously, Rory f***ed his lead by bogeying 3 of the last 4. That up and down from the bunker by Bryson was exceptional though.

I do feel that Bryson had more than his share of luck with missing the fairway yesterday though. He couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo but repeatedly got good lies and good lines in despite it. You still have to convert from those fortunate positions, but, if he played again today and hit those "wire grass" areas that many times I find it hard to think he wouldn't be directly behind those clumps of grass on half his approach shots.

Instinctively, I'm in Olly's camp of thinking. If Rory keeps being this close in the majors that another one must eventually get over the line. Perhaps it's wishful thinking as he's a golfer I find really likable and love watching play.

In terms of fulfilling his talent, 4 majors is low for his immense ceiling. Vitally, he is a Masters win from the Grand Slam though. Only 5 have done it. If he does that, then one more major win suddenly takes the narrative from "unfulfilled talent" to "all timer". Yesterday was so brutal that I fear it may be the former. Time will tell. There's a lot of people hoping he does it.

As an aside, I thought the Open as a whole was terrific. Spot on conditions, so tense on Sunday, brilliant golf and drama. Look at Finau, basically one hole knocked him out the running with that treble on Saturday. Brutal. However, the small but loud collection of f***wits around the 18th green chanting "USA" and "come on Bryson" milliseconds after Rory missed that putt on 18th can collectively get in the bin and stay there. Absolute turboc*nt behaviour.

king_carlos

navyblueshorts and wadey101 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 17 Jun 2024, 1:19 pm

The US Open produces drama that The Open never can on most of the courses on the rota.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 17 Jun 2024, 1:20 pm

super_realist wrote:The US Open produces drama that The Open never can on most of the courses on the rota.

If only they would play it on Trumpton.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 17 Jun 2024, 1:25 pm

Why not Mac?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 17 Jun 2024, 1:27 pm

Super, does it need explaining?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 17 Jun 2024, 1:29 pm

McLaren wrote:Super, does it need explaining?

Yes Mac, it does. Majors should be held on courses capable of producing drama and intrigue. You're previously on record as saying it should be held there instead of obsolete relics like TOC, so what has changed?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 17 Jun 2024, 2:27 pm

Trump is am awful human being. Is that enough?

I have said in the past that classic courses should not be altered to accommodate current technology. I would rather see the Open held at the belfry (or other courses not worth worrying about) than have the R&A butcher our classic links courses in an arms race with manufacturers.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 17 Jun 2024, 2:29 pm

Why is that a problem Mac?
Legally he can (and probably will) be the next US President, if its good enough for that office, why not hold it at one of his courses? Its not as of the R&A, Muirfield, Augusta etc are paragons of virtue, so why be so precious about Trump?

super_realist

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 17 Jun 2024, 5:09 pm

super_realist wrote:The US Open produces drama that The Open never can on most of the courses on the rota.

A bit counter intuitive to disagree with you on that point the morning after an absolutely outstanding US open on an excellent Test like Pinehurst BUT, most Open venues DO have form for drama, your old hobby horse TOC being probably the notable exception. Remember any dull opens at Carnoustie? What about Turnberry? Both 77 and 09. Troon? Aye the Stenson Mickleson duel was dull as dishwater. Muirfield and Mickelson, Ernie pipping Adam Scott at Lytham, Darren Clarke grinding it out at RSG, I could go on but the main point, the Open DOES produce plenty of drama at most venues

JAS

navyblueshorts likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 17 Jun 2024, 6:38 pm

Thoughts on Rory leaving the golf course and not speaking to media or congratulating Bryson?

Very poor form in my opinion.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 17 Jun 2024, 6:59 pm

He must have been fuming so perhaps better off that he didn't face the press at that time. You can be sure he will be asked soon enough.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 17 Jun 2024, 7:06 pm

Also, big fan of Rory here, but he wilted down the stretch. Not sure how many ways he can answer that. 3 bogeys in the last 4 holes of a major rarely (if ever) wins the day.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 17 Jun 2024, 9:33 pm

Shotrock wrote:He must have been fuming so perhaps better off that he didn't face the press at that time. You can be sure he will be asked soon enough.
He should still man up and shake his opponents hand and speak to the media (even though the latter is really sh*t in the circumstances, hence Faldo's comment to Norman in 1996- "Dont let the b*stards grind you down")
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 18 Jun 2024, 5:33 am

JAS wrote:

A bit counter intuitive to disagree with you on that point the morning after an absolutely outstanding US open on an excellent Test like Pinehurst BUT, most Open venues DO have form for drama, your old hobby horse TOC being probably the notable exception. Remember any dull opens at Carnoustie? What about Turnberry? Both 77 and 09. Troon? Aye the Stenson Mickleson duel was dull as dishwater. Muirfield and Mickelson, Ernie pipping Adam Scott at Lytham, Darren Clarke grinding it out at RSG, I could go on but the main point, the Open DOES produce  plenty of drama at most venues

If you have to go back to 1977 then you really don't have a point.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 18 Jun 2024, 9:43 am

And if 1 out of 10 is your idea of “most of the courses on the rota ” then you don’t really have a point either do you?

‘77 regardless of how long ago it was was widely regarded as one of the best opens ever. Apart from that many more up to date episodes were mentioned.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 18 Jun 2024, 9:44 am

I see McIlroy taking a break now until the Scottish open, that’s a long time off!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 18 Jun 2024, 10:03 am

super_realist wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

As usual you're missing the point Navy.
Woods lack of brains are demonstrated by the laughable idea that he thought he could pump 100's of women and not be found out, his inability to drive a car without having an accident and his insane and ruinous exercise regime which ignored his legs and  irreparably damaged his body.  He now has a geriatrics body and can no longer compete.

Think of how many more opportunities he would have had had all these self inflicted injuries and needless absences  (caused by his stupidity) not led to such extended time out? That's the point.
As usual you go for the whataboutery. What he did in his private life has zero, absolutely zero, to do with his golf. Golf is what we're talking about. Your speculation re. his fitness regime and its specifically negative effect on his game is just that: speculation based on zero knowledge. Do try to keep up thumbsup.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 18 Jun 2024, 10:06 am

McLaren wrote:There has been push back against the term "choke" on here before, but even the chokerati have to admit what happened to Rory.

Not even sure it was the putting that actually did it for him, I know he missed those short putts but I think that stemmed from his nerves being shot to pieces by not being able to hit a golf shot after he got to -8.

Said it so many times, but an old school caddie like Steve Williams or Billy Foster would have gotten him over the line. Wrong club and wrong shot shape into both the par 3's up the stretch and a bone headed club choice up the 72nd.
It's not that, perhaps, nerves got the better of him. It's the derogatory word and the way its used. As if those using it have the first clue about what it's like to be in that situation. The sort of thing used by keyboard warriors who never were, are not, and never will be the world's best at anything.

Nice to see you again, Mac. Genuinely.

Last edited by navyblueshorts on Tue 18 Jun 2024, 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 18 Jun 2024, 10:10 am

Something like 496/496 putts for Rory from inside four feet this season. He then misses the next two purely because the winning line is in sight.

Nothing else to call it but a choke.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 18 Jun 2024, 10:13 am

incontinentia wrote:Thoughts on Rory leaving the golf course and not speaking to media or congratulating Bryson?

Tend to agree, on balance. He must have been hurting, but it's part of the deal IMO. Depends on who's asking the questions though - some of the banal, moronic questions I've heard asked of various sportspeople after they've just lost an epic encounter make me want to strangle the reporter.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 18 Jun 2024, 10:15 am

Duty281 wrote:Something like 496/496 putts for Rory from inside four feet this season. He then misses the next two purely because the winning line is in sight.

Why am I not surprised?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 18 Jun 2024, 10:29 am

navyblueshorts wrote:
incontinentia wrote:Thoughts on Rory leaving the golf course and not speaking to media or congratulating Bryson?

Tend to agree, on balance. He must have been hurting, but it's part of the deal IMO. Depends on who's asking the questions though - some of the banal, moronic questions I've heard asked of various sportspeople after they've just lost an epic encounter make me want to strangle the reporter.

I think hurting would have been an understatement. I can only imagine that if he’d stayed, he’d have broken down in the interview, it would have been cringeworthy (however understandable) and would have taken a degree of limelight and attention away from Bryson’s moment (who I can’t stand btw but can’t help but admire his persistence and determination).

Anyway, after a day or so of calming down, he’s put out a statement saying he’s taking a break and which does contain a genuine congratulations to Bryson.

The question now is…did it sting enough to make him as singlemindedly ruthless as he needs to be if he doesn’t want a few more Sundays like the one he’s just had. It may be harsh on Diamond BUT I think the Caddie question needs to be addressed… a mate or a seasoned pro who tell you what you NEED to hear when it really really matters.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 18 Jun 2024, 10:37 am

navyblueshorts wrote:
Duty281 wrote:Something like 496/496 putts for Rory from inside four feet this season. He then misses the next two purely because the winning line is in sight.

Why am I not surprised?

Definition of a choke: "In sports, choking is the failure of a person, or persons, to act or behave as anticipated or expected.[1] This can occur in a game or tournament that they are strongly favoured to win, or in an instance where they have a large lead that they squander in the late stages of the event."

In missing two consecutive putts at a distance where Rory had rolled in the previous 496, due to being in a position where he was strongly favoured to win, it easily fits the definition of a choke.

Not my issue that you think the term is purely derogatory.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 18 Jun 2024, 10:51 am

navyblueshorts wrote:The sort of thing used by keyboard warriors who never were, are not, and never will be the world's best at anything.

I like to think I am a world class keyboard warrior.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 18 Jun 2024, 10:56 am

Super

I am curious why you try and make out woods has low intellect rather than just saying he didn't make the life choices you would have? Einstein, Feynman and Oppenheimer had tumultuous love lives, would you say they were dumb and could have achieved more if they had kept it in their pants?

Honestly, I have my suspicions why you bring intellect into this but I will give you a chance to explain yourself first.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 18 Jun 2024, 2:37 pm

Duty281 wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

Why am I not surprised?

Definition of a choke: "In sports, choking is the failure of a person, or persons, to act or behave as anticipated or expected.[1] This can occur in a game or tournament that they are strongly favoured to win, or in an instance where they have a large lead that they squander in the late stages of the event."

In missing two consecutive putts at a distance where Rory had rolled in the previous 496, due to being in a position where he was strongly favoured to win, it easily fits the definition of a choke.

Not my issue that you think the term is purely derogatory.
And? I know what it means. However, I don't care about your, or anyone else's, definition re. this term. I'm not surprised you'd use it.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Tue 18 Jun 2024, 5:49 pm

Golf has been great for Rory and he's been great for golf. By all accounts an extremely pleasant professional.

Seems good to this observer that he's taking time off after what should have been (IMO) another major. (Taking nothing away from BDC who certainly rose to the occasion.)

The absolute best way he can bounce back would be to win the Open. And, yes, 100% agree there should be another caddie on his bag.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 18 Jun 2024, 11:13 pm

One of my favourite golf stats is that Nicklaus has the most runner up finishes in majors. Jack came second 19 times. 5 of them either in a playoff or by 1 shot. He's got the most major wins in history and still came second more times than he won.

If you're good enough to be in contention, then you're going to lose plenty by small margins.

I still think Rory wins another major if he keeps playing as well as he is. Mickelson was 34 before he won his first major after all.

king_carlos

navyblueshorts and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 19 Jun 2024, 9:46 am

I don't think it was his finest moment, but similarly I can't begin to imagine facing the press in that situation. Just a very human reaction really.

Not surprised he's taking time off until the Scottish Open. Don't think he would really gain anything by playing a couple of meh PGA Tour events, go away and get your mind right for the Open swing.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 19 Jun 2024, 9:49 am

king_carlos wrote:One of my favourite golf stats is that Nicklaus has the most runner up finishes in majors. Jack came second 19 times. 5 of them either in a playoff or by 1 shot. He's got the most major wins in history and still came second more times than he won.

If you're good enough to be in contention, then you're going to lose plenty by small margins.

I still think Rory wins another major if he keeps playing as well as he is. Mickelson was 34 before he won his first major after all.

Plenty of examples of guys bouncing back from major heartbreak too, including Rory himself. Of course, plenty on the other side of the fence...but DJ at Chambers Bay, Adam Scott at Lytham, Rory/Spieth at Augusta, Mickelson at Winged Foot...all bounced back to win one fairly quickly. Heck Rory has experienced St Andrews/LACC in recent years and put himself right there again. Will be more opportunities
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

king_carlos likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 19 Jun 2024, 1:27 pm

Jacks old adage was something along the lines of "wait for them to choke" (probably didn't say choke Wink )

Problem for Rory is, he is one of the guys that the contenders are waiting to choke.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 21 Jun 2024, 2:40 pm

McLaren wrote:Super

I am curious why you try and make out woods has low intellect rather than just saying he didn't make the life choices you would have? Einstein, Feynman and Oppenheimer had tumultuous love lives, would you say they were dumb and could have achieved more if they had kept it in their pants?

Honestly, I have my suspicions why you bring intellect into this but I will give you a chance to explain yourself first.

Being incapable of being able to think through the consequences of your actions (which you are trying to disguise as "bad life choices" ) is a key factor in a lack of intellect.
It's also a common factor in high performing sportspeople who don't think too much about the consequences of a shot (or dwelling too much on the outcome). Those are dangerous competitors and people like Woods, Johnson, Rahm, Bubba Watson exemplify that. Look at footballers, some of the best ones have been thick as a fridge door.

Woods "bad life choices", of which there have been many have directly resulted in extended absence from competition. Similar acts haven't hindered the careers of those scientists you mention. They could still work, whereas Woods couldn't.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 21 Jun 2024, 4:30 pm

...but we aren't talking about academic ability etc. We're talking specifically about the ability to choose and then execute the correct decisions in the context of playing golf at the highest level. Whatever you say about Woods (and I don't disagree re. the appearance of some of his 'life choices'), it's clear he could absolutely do that.

As for those scientists, who says that had they made different 'life choices', their scientific careers wouldn't have been even more stellar? Bit like you're claiming for Woods. Can't have it both ways IMO.
Also, who's to say if they (or Woods) had been more 'straight laced', they'd have got remotely close to the levels they did? Neither you nor anyone else know the answer to that with any certainty.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 21 Jun 2024, 5:29 pm

Two of the skills I most associate with 'smart golfers' is clutch putting and being able to get up and down when it really counts. That's all about reading greens, reading lies, making the right decisions under pressure and having the 'feel' to execute. Prime Tiger was as good as it gets in those situations.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 22 Jun 2024, 7:00 am

Again you miss the point Navy. No one mentioned anything about academic ability.
Wood's stupidity, or couch it however you like led to him being incapable of being on a golf course, and you can't win anything if you don't actually play.
Indulging in behaviour which means you can't compete is stupidity by definition.
If you go to a job interview, but don't account for potential  travel issues and you miss the interview, that's your own stupidity, no one else's.
Likewise if you have a one car accident because you're driving too fast, you're an idiot. If you indulge in an exercise regime that damages your body, you're an idiot. Woods has prematurely ended his competitiveness through his own stupidity.

Woods own stupidity has repeatedly restricted how much he could play. That's the point and that is why he's stupid, as for his poor articulation, that's another issue, but hasn't kept him off the course.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun 23 Jun 2024, 3:12 pm

super_realist wrote:Again you miss the point Navy. No one mentioned anything about academic ability.
Wood's stupidity, or couch it however you like led to him being incapable of being on a golf course, and you can't win anything if you don't actually play.
Indulging in behaviour which means you can't compete is stupidity by definition.
If you go to a job interview, but don't account for potential  travel issues and you miss the interview, that's your own stupidity, no one else's.
Likewise if you have a one car accident because you're driving too fast, you're an idiot. If you indulge in an exercise regime that damages your body, you're an idiot. Woods has prematurely ended his competitiveness through his own stupidity.

Woods own stupidity has repeatedly restricted how much he could play. That's the point and that is why he's stupid, as for his  poor articulation, that's another issue, but hasn't kept him off the course.
And, yet again, you believe your interpretation of something is perfect and the only one worth having.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 23 Jun 2024, 11:45 pm

Another PGA triumph for Scheffler.

Sixth win in his last ten starts, this time after a playoff.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 24 Jun 2024, 8:00 am

Duty281 wrote:Another PGA triumph for Scheffler.

Yep. Turning into an amazing season for him. Wonder how the USPGA would have turned out had that overzealous cop not arrested him?

His scoring averages here are silly, especially the 'Scoring Overall' section. He's the only player averaging <69 overall and leads Schauffele by ~0.8 shots.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 24 Jun 2024, 9:15 am

It is interesting re: Scheffler's continued dominance on the week to week tour - because he's not yet managed to separate himself from his peers of his generation when it comes to major victories. And, nothing outside of Augusta in the major cabinet (obviously not saying it's not a major, but its limited field and course specific....)

Tied with Rahm/Morikawa/Bryson on two majors apiece. The way he's separated himself on tour and in all the data metrics, he'd surely be a little disappointed to not come away from this major season with one of the USPGA, US Open or The Open.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 24 Jun 2024, 11:03 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:It is interesting re: Scheffler's continued dominance on the week to week tour - because he's not yet managed to separate himself from his peers of his generation when it comes to major victories. And, nothing outside of Augusta in the major cabinet (obviously not saying it's not a major, but its limited field and course specific....)

Tied with Rahm/Morikawa/Bryson on two majors apiece. The way he's separated himself on tour and in all the data metrics, he'd surely be a little disappointed to not come away from this major season with one of the USPGA, US Open or The Open.

That's your tip for Troon then Olly? Interesting fact about Troon and Open's held there is that last time out, Stenson in beating Mickelson, finally broke a decades long (six in a row) sequence of American winners at Troon, no other stop on the rota in (my lifetime certainly) had such a one country monopoly of Champion golfer of the year. So in that respect, the odds probably do favour an American

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 24 Jun 2024, 11:25 am

navyblueshorts wrote:
Duty281 wrote:Another PGA triumph for Scheffler.

Yep. Turning into an amazing season for him. Wonder how the USPGA would have turned out had that overzealous cop not arrested him?

His scoring averages here are silly, especially the 'Scoring Overall' section. He's the only player averaging <69 overall and leads Schauffele by ~0.8 shots.

Yeah, I like the par 4 statistics for the season.

Tour average +8. Out of 170 players only 7 have a score of -20 or better. Only 2 have a score of better than -27. One is Schauffele on -49. The other is Scheffler...-90! Shocked

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 24 Jun 2024, 11:27 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:It is interesting re: Scheffler's continued dominance on the week to week tour - because he's not yet managed to separate himself from his peers of his generation when it comes to major victories. And, nothing outside of Augusta in the major cabinet (obviously not saying it's not a major, but its limited field and course specific....)

Might be a few small whispers of him being a flat track bully, especially after the US Open where he was absolutely nowhere, and the PGA where he finished eight shots back, and those whispers will only intensify if he flops at The Open.

Duty281

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 24 Jun 2024, 11:43 am

I wouldn't say Augusta is an easy track to be fair to Scottie!

He just drove like hot trash at Pinehurst from what I saw.

I love watching his approach play when he gets in position off the tee. That ability to stop the ball basically in his pitch mark is oddly mesmerising. I know some fans say he's boring, but I love watching that sort of distance control. I also think there's an element of him making aggressive approach shots look 'boring' due to what's basically a superpower of stopping the ball so quickly. On song, he attacks pins others don't consider because it's a safe shot for someone so precise.

I just wish he was an angry enough character to have considered a legal case over that arrest. The difference between the report and what eventually was released LMPD (not the unavailable bodycam footage of the actual incident of course...) was genuinely f***ed. The photo of the officers "injuries" that sent him to hospital and mentioning his ruined trousers were comical. If that isn't a world famous golfer, they are facing a felony charge for second-degree assault of a police officer, life ruining consequences.

king_carlos

incontinentia likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next