The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roy Jones, Curriculum Vitae, Ya'll must've forgot about these.....

+7
WelshDevilRob
J.Benson II
Young_Towzer
Fists of Fury
TRUSSMAN66
HumanWindmill
Michaels, Sean
11 posters

Go down

Roy Jones, Curriculum Vitae, Ya'll must've forgot about these..... Empty Roy Jones, Curriculum Vitae, Ya'll must've forgot about these.....

Post by Michaels, Sean Mon 20 Jun 2011, 8:46 pm

Roy, wouldn't it have been better to lose to these guys?

The Puncherhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkDha33AGA8

The Showmanhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2l5zppPYpA&feature=related

The Best https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcb1MgGrlWA

The Warriorhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TVgkCN_1aE

The Blast from the Pasthttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz4KWIP3mrQ

The Inexcusablehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEKeuzPxwUk
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Roy Jones, Curriculum Vitae, Ya'll must've forgot about these..... Empty Re: Roy Jones, Curriculum Vitae, Ya'll must've forgot about these.....

Post by HumanWindmill Mon 20 Jun 2011, 8:50 pm

Sean, you just hit the boxing section's 50000th. post. Quite a landmark, eh, fellas ? Busiest, ( and best behaved and most knowledgeable, of course, ) section at 606v2.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Roy Jones, Curriculum Vitae, Ya'll must've forgot about these..... Empty Re: Roy Jones, Curriculum Vitae, Ya'll must've forgot about these.....

Post by Michaels, Sean Mon 20 Jun 2011, 8:54 pm

Thanks, Windy. While the article is a bit of a wind up, I've spent a bit of time on it and I think it's great video throughout. Especially 'The Best'. What a shame about him.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 Jun 2011, 8:58 pm

Pity the accolade didn't fall on a more worthy poster....

no apology yet for the racist remarks I see.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon 20 Jun 2011, 9:00 pm

There are certainly some fabulous match ups there, Sean. McClellan v Jones, for example, with so many inherent possibilities and the clash of styles, might have been one for the ages.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 20 Jun 2011, 9:03 pm

Think Roy would have beaten the lot, to be honest Sean (and you probably know that too, I assume this one was done tongue in cheek after the article earlier), but some fine highlights there, particularly Nunn, cracking fighter, wasn't he?

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Mon 20 Jun 2011, 9:03 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Pity the accolade didn't fall on a more worthy poster....

It's Mark Twain by the way. If you've 'really' read him you wouldn't be so defensive.

Boxing: I've not seen a better, more fearsome boxer than Nunn. Focused he would have re-written history.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon 20 Jun 2011, 9:03 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Pity the accolade didn't fall on a more worthy poster....

C'mon, you're both excellent members of this forum, and a volatile and controversial topic always had the potential for misunderstandings.

Perhaps it's my fault, in that I should have been quicker to see it coming and shut it down. Either way, two valuable members shouldn't still be slugging it out with bad feeling.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 Jun 2011, 9:05 pm

Did I type Mark Twain wrong on the computer...

Leave it, he insulted me, my Country and it ain't right and all the victims of 9/11...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Mon 20 Jun 2011, 9:12 pm

Trussy, insult me on a different thread. This is a good one. Wink
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 Jun 2011, 9:15 pm

Not amused...........

Don't want to insult you..

Just want you to realise that when you call me and my fellow countrymen anti-Jewish, homophobic, black hating dumbasses and mean it..............It can be construed as racist and offensive..

I don't think you understand that......

Had I thought you were having a joke I wouldn't of took issue...

P**s poor behaviour..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Mon 20 Jun 2011, 9:20 pm

TRUSSY, i love Americans, there mentality, etc, but take your Apollo Creed hat off for 5 minutes mate, and cool down people who have said what he said about your countrymen are idiots, we all know that that aint true, end of. So lets not give them the pleasure of talking about them. I've been to America 5 times and can honestly say the people were very hospitable and lovely.

Last edited by Young_Towzer on Mon 20 Jun 2011, 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Mon 20 Jun 2011, 9:21 pm

It's for another thread Truss. I specifically didn't taint one and all. I don't take anything back. We live in an ar5e of a world and denial of it's problems is worse than the crime itself.

Boxing: C'mon boss, give me your opinion on Nunn. How good does he look in that highlight reel?
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Mon 20 Jun 2011, 9:22 pm

None of those names would be career-defining wins.
Besides, Jones beat boxers that were better than, or least on par with the names you've listed.
Therfore, its unfair to use them as a stick in which to beat Jones, especially when you also consider that the likes of Eubank have admitted that they were not even interested in fighting him.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 Jun 2011, 9:22 pm

Good post Towzer Mate.....

The kid went too far...and he think it's funny..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Mon 20 Jun 2011, 9:24 pm

Nunn is better than Tarver or Johnson, as are Benn, Eubank imo Who has Tarver beat apart from a fading RJJ? he's a phoney.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 Jun 2011, 9:28 pm

All dumb enough to elect george Bush......a bunch of Jew, black hating homophobes..think every muslim is a terrorist etc etc....

But you weren't being specific....

It's not for another thread......but i'll leave it...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Mon 20 Jun 2011, 9:29 pm

Would have loved to see Roy fight all those guys. My opinion that he would have beaten them all but it's a waste that he didn't fight them (for whatever reason)

Roy is one of the Greatest fighters of all-time and his skill level was truly unbelievable.

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Mon 20 Jun 2011, 9:32 pm

J.Benson II wrote:None of those names would be career-defining wins.
Besides, Jones beat boxers that were better than, or least on par with the names you've listed.
Therfore, its unfair to use them as a stick in which to beat Jones, especially when you also consider that the likes of Eubank have admitted that they were not even interested in fighting him.

Outrageous comments. These were the best around by a mile and a super generation - throw in an ageing Barkley, a weight drained Toney. Compare them to the Super 6 and it's laughable. Eubank wasn't interested in Jones because Eubank 'allegedly' cherished his WBO title. He never said he wouldn't give Jones a match, his words suggested they would both end up in hospital and that didn't appeal.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 Jun 2011, 9:33 pm

Nunn was the middleweight version of Curry...A shining star that faded all too quickly.....

The performance against Tate was one of the best clinics of Boxing I've ever seen...Kalambay was special and he was a dominant 160 champ and a star...

Was handing out a lesson to Toney when he got caught like Curry-mccalum and like Curry was the never the same afterwards....

Like Curry been in jail......too...

Similar careers and both semi alltime greats..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Mon 20 Jun 2011, 9:40 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Nunn was the middleweight version of Curry...A shining star that faded all too quickly.....

The performance against Tate was one of the best clinics of Boxing I've ever seen...Kalambay was special and he was a dominant 160 champ and a star...

Was handing out a lesson to Toney when he got caught like Curry-mccalum and like Curry was the never the same afterwards....

Like Curry been in jail......too...

Similar careers and both semi alltime greats..

Still in jail.........

Like a ballet dancer, leaning away and seemingly off balance, coming back with bombs. Similar to Naz?
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 Jun 2011, 9:42 pm

He was better than Naz he had a better defence, better jad and an uppercut to die for...less power but a better all round game...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 20 Jun 2011, 9:53 pm

Nunn was a beautiful boxer to watch when in full flow - but he only has himself to blame for never securing a fight with Jones, which would have defined him.

It's easy to say that he was never the same after the Toney loss, but having seen his subsequent 168 lb performances, I think he still had plenty in the tank. He looked good against Cordoba for the WBA belt, and would have been primed for a fight with Jones in 1994 (when Jones stepped up to Super-Middleweight) had he not took his eye off the ball and performed so lethargically in losing to Steve Little. Whether or not he had one eye on a fight with Jones or a Toney rematch, who knows, but I think that was the most damaging defeat for him, rather than the knockout against 'Lights Out' in 1991.

Still, as I said, poetry in motion when he was at his best.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 Jun 2011, 9:58 pm

Disagree he didn't look the same at 168.....The gloss had come of him...He seemed more workmanlike...

He looked dreradful against the garbage Crawford Ashley...full of mistakes!!

Got old overnight.....

Toney was much more damaging went from future superstar to ordinary fighter..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric Da Cat Mon 20 Jun 2011, 10:03 pm

Jones took steroids, he should have all his belts took off him in a similar way Ben Johnson got his medal took off him.

As a pillar of society I like to be fair and on the side note why does sky sports news have so many women on?

Women in sport is terrible like watching a bloody bunch of amateurs, whose interested it's like watching a Westland terrier in a greyhound race.

Stick to what they good at sperm trough
Eric Da Cat
Eric Da Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 20 Jun 2011, 10:04 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Disagree he didn't look the same at 168.....The gloss had come of him...He seemed more workmanlike...

He looked dreradful against the garbage Crawford Ashley...full of mistakes!!

Got old overnight.....

Toney was much more damaging went from future superstar to ordinary fighter..

Haven't seen the fight against Ashley, so will take your word for it. But even so, the loss against Little really is a sickener, with potential match ups against Jones and Toney around the corner. As soon as he lost the WBA belt he gave Jones a reason to bypass him. It's a shame; a win for Nunn would have reestablished him as a major force, a win for Jones would have been another string to his bow and might just have made my article today a little easier!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 Jun 2011, 10:04 pm

Careful anyone might think you were sexist or something..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 Jun 2011, 10:06 pm

Fact is he shouldn't be struggling with the likes of Little which kind of proves my point...

The Nunn that beat Tate 9-0 in rounds was brilliant..made Tate look ordinary.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric Da Cat Mon 20 Jun 2011, 10:08 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Careful anyone might think you were sexist or something..

Shut up son, I'm a minister remember.

Eric Da Cat
Eric Da Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 Jun 2011, 10:10 pm

Sperm trough....

Church vocabulary has changed quite a bit since I last went..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric Da Cat Mon 20 Jun 2011, 10:14 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Sperm trough....

Church vocabulary has changed quite a bit since I last went..

Slip of the Tongue big fella, not wearing my collar this evening.

Have a lovely evening and a good night sleep champ and ill have a discussion with you tomorrow.

Forever young I waana be forever young

Nite sweet cheeks

Shocked idea heart
Eric Da Cat
Eric Da Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 Jun 2011, 10:18 pm

Shame Iwas looking forward to one of Erik's soothing poems to read whilst my Wife reads her Hello, OK, Playgirl... or whatever crud she'll be reading when I get up there..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric Da Cat Mon 20 Jun 2011, 10:21 pm

It's Eric not Erik ya fat pig
Eric Da Cat
Eric Da Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Mon 20 Jun 2011, 10:22 pm

Michaels, Sean wrote:
J.Benson II wrote:None of those names would be career-defining wins.

Outrageous comments. These were the best around by a mile and a super generation - throw in an ageing Barkley, a weight drained Toney. Compare them to the Super 6 and it's laughable. Eubank wasn't interested in Jones because Eubank 'allegedly' cherished his WBO title. He never said he wouldn't give Jones a match, his words suggested they would both end up in hospital and that didn't appeal.

Toney was the P4P No.1 when Jones beat him. A better boxer than anyone on that list. He had beaten Nunn a few years earlier.

Hopkins, although green, was still considered to be good enough at the time to challenge for vacant world title. Jones beat him one handed and Hopkins would remain unbeaten for the next 12 years afterwards.

Dariusz M never left Germany and his unbeaten record would eventually come to a halt against JC Gonzalez, who then was beaten with ease by Jones.

Thulani Malinga proved himself to be on a similar level to the Benn's and Eubank's of the world, yet was shown up to be several levels below Jones.

Therefore, would wins against the names you've listed really be any more significant for Jones' legacy than the names he's already got on record? Possibly Dariusz as he was the lineal LH champion.....but the others? I don't really believe so.

Anyway, you can pick holes in any boxer's record's. There will always be potential fights that would have been missed for one reason or another.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 Jun 2011, 10:23 pm

sperm trough and fat pig....

No way for a minister to speak..think of your followers...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Tue 21 Jun 2011, 10:24 am

Nunn was incredible.

When I tried to box, I tried to box like him - it hurt my face.

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 22 Jun 2011, 6:48 am

This is like in 15 years looking back saying why didnt Pacquiao fight Hamed, Casamayor, Castillo, Corrales, Vasquez, Campbell etc.

It just doesnt take into account any circumstances.

Jones beat Hopkins in 1993 for his Middleweight title. Thats right about when Jackson was beaten by McClellan and then more or less finished off for good in their rematch. So a fight with Jackson was simply never a credible option.

Benn was campaigning at SMW when Jones originally won his MW title. Jones bypassed him in order to face Toney who was then unbeaten and considered the best SMW as well as a top 2/3 p4p fighter. So this was a worthier fight than Benn. A few months after both Benn and McClellan were more or less finished by their own encounter. Thus, McClellan was never a real option. There was a small window of about 6 months around the end of 1995 where a unification fight with Benn could have happened but any potential for the fight was destroyed a few months after that when Benn was more or less finished off with his losses to Malinga and Collins.

Eubank had no interest in facing Jones. Said so himself.

Nunn was never an option. When Jones moved to SMW and beat Toney Nunn had lost his title and vanished from the scene with a series of poor losses.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 22 Jun 2011, 8:52 am

So what you're saying is that all the other top guys were too busy fighting amongst themselves while Jones was off knocking down tomato cans?
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 22 Jun 2011, 8:59 am

Michaels, Sean wrote:So what you're saying is that all the other top guys were too busy fighting amongst themselves while Jones was off knocking down tomato cans?

No and I fail to see how you can come to that conclusion. Guess what? In that period Jones beat Toney and Hopkins. The two probable HoF fighters in the mix. None of the others are or will be.

Other than a tiny window where he could potentially have fought Benn - which Benn blew by losing to the likes of Collins and Malinga, none of the fights were even viable to make. Thats what I am saying.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down