The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possible 2011 Disappointments

+8
Derbyblue
TheBrownTown
Thomond
GB1919
El Capitan
skins4ever
CFCNick
Pr4wn
12 posters

Go down

Possible 2011 Disappointments Empty Possible 2011 Disappointments

Post by Pr4wn Tue 19 Jul 2011, 4:42 pm

Slow week again with no CBA, so I was just wondering which highly rated players you guys feel will be a huge disappointment in the 2011 season.

I'll start the ball rolling: LeGarette Blount.

He had a superb season last year, rushing for over 1,000 yards in only seven starts with a YPC average of over five. But Blount has been called lazy by some scouts, and I know he hasn't been attending Josh Freeman's players'-only minicamp in Florida. He was also mainly used on 1st and 2nd down rushes last year and has still yet to fully grasp blocking schemes for 3rd down pass plays. Not working with Freeman really hasn't helped this situation and I can see Blount taking a step back.

You guys got any ideas?

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Possible 2011 Disappointments Empty Re: Possible 2011 Disappointments

Post by CFCNick Tue 19 Jul 2011, 5:03 pm

Hines Ward - Always been Ben's go to guy, could have a poor year as age catches up.

I know I shouldn't say this but what the hell......

The entire New York Giants roster. There I said it. Whistle

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Tue 19 Jul 2011, 5:13 pm

DeSean Jackson - coming off an injury like that, I reckon his numbers will be relatively disappointing compared to 2 years ago.

Manning may also slump as he's struggling to get over his op.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by El Capitan Tue 19 Jul 2011, 5:21 pm

I'm hoping that this isn't the case but...Michael Vick.

He was beginning to get found out last year....+ the injuries that he gets with his style of play mean that I have a feeling 2011 could be a disappointing year for the Eagles QB.

Again, I hope this isn't the case as I have him in my keeper league and he absolutely killed it last year Smile

El Capitan

Back to top Go down

Post by GB1919 Tue 19 Jul 2011, 7:10 pm

Some convincing suggestions so far. I'd add:

Arian Foster

He didn't just run last year he caught a lot as well, 66 receptions for 604 yards. That put him ahead of Donald Driver, Dez Bryant and Steve Smith. There's no way he can match that season and if Leach leaves he'll struggle more with the running game too.

Chicago Bears

Easy to say but they over-performed last year, can't see them doing so again.

Mark Sanchez

I feel this is the year that he gets found out as he'll fail to show any progression and the hype around the Jets will disappear somewhat.

GB1919

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue 19 Jul 2011, 7:42 pm

The Bucs team. An easy enough schedule last year.

Player wise,Foster could do worse and I think that Manning may have a disappointing season,he threw quite a few picks last year and with the neck surgery and everything he could be in for a poor enough year by his standards.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBrownTown Tue 19 Jul 2011, 8:08 pm

Peyton Hillis

Just can't see him performing like he did last year

TheBrownTown

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Tue 19 Jul 2011, 9:34 pm

Peyton Hillis: Montario Hardesty was drafted last year to be the lead back and he's now returning from injury, I'm not saying that Hardesty straight away becomes the lead back but I think they are likely to be sharing carries, but then depending on how good Hardesty turns out to be Hillis may become the lead back in the latter part of the season. Another reason is the longer the lockout drags on the less time the offence have to learn the new offence, meaning that our running game could be seen as our main threat in the early stages of the season, which will make it easier to shut down, though Hillis does have a talent for smashing through tackles, if he's seen as the only threat he will have more tackles to break.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 19 Jul 2011, 10:13 pm

Bears will regress simply because I doubt things will fall into their lap as easily as last season.

Chiefs and Bucs will regress on paper because even if they improve they won't be good enough on their schedules imo.

GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 19 Jul 2011, 10:14 pm

And agreed on Hillis, simply because he isn't that good.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Forward Pass Tue 19 Jul 2011, 11:22 pm

Sanchez & the jets
and unfortunatly the Cowboys running game
Forward Pass
Forward Pass

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 20 Jul 2011, 10:54 am

Any number of highly touted rookies could be disappointments. If I had to choose one it would be Von Miller, prototypical 3-4 OLB but not sure how he will fit into the new 4-3 in Denver. Also possibly Julio Jones, WR is notoriously one of the most difficult positions to adapt to and there will be a lot of pressure on him to step up after the big trade by the Falcons

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Virgil_Caine Wed 20 Jul 2011, 11:31 am

I’ve a feeling Michael Turner production might drop off a bit this year, he’s had a lot of carries since he’s been a Falcon and seemed to tail off towards the end of last year.

Brandon Lloyd and Stevie Johnson just because they had such good seasons last year but, both should still be productive.

Mario Williams has a new position to learn and could struggle.

Virgil_Caine

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 20 Jul 2011, 12:18 pm

DeSean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin, Hakeem Nicks, Mike Williams, Dez Bryant, Jordan Shipley, Percy Harvin, Austin Collie, Kenny Britt, Mike Wallace, Mohammad Massoquoi and Eddie Royal have all been somewhat productive as rookies the last 3 years.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Wed 20 Jul 2011, 1:14 pm

GSC - some examples of good rookies, and I agree in the main, but I would counter with some points:

Jackson - good contribution to Eagles O, but I think his special teams production influenced the impression of him being outstanding. Also, he was predominantly a deep threat in his rookie year, that being McNabb's strength (some would say his only strength). His high volume of long passes was a bit out of kilter with the norm for most WR's. Harvin, to some extent likewise.
Maclin and Nicks were productive, but not #1 WR's.
Bryant should have been outstanding given his physical attributes etc. and given the other weapons the Cowboys have at WR. Austin draws heavy coverage most of the time as he's an excellent route runner, and Bryant usually had single coverage. Again the same applies to Collie, and he had Manning throwing to him.
Britt I'll give you as there wasn't a great deal of expectation (but look at him now) but I'd argue that Wallace was pretty much just a deep threat (an incredibly dangerous one mind) and has struggled against good coverage.
I haven't seen much of Massoquoi, so no real comment.
Royal is I think the real exception on this list. Like Colston in NO, he came in with reasonably little expectation on his shoulders, proved himself in camp and then went out and produced pretty much from the off. It did help that he had Marshall on the same side of the ball, but from what I saw he showed straight away a great ability to get open quickly and a penchant for the tough catch. On that list I'd take Royal above everyone else. If he looks after himself, he'll have years of production ahead of him because he does what every QB wants - makes them look good.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed 20 Jul 2011, 1:34 pm

Skins, I think the same applies to Mike Williams of TB. He is now our number one receiver after catching 11 TDs in his rookie season after being a 4th round pick.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Wed 20 Jul 2011, 1:40 pm

Oops, missed Williams out. Yes, he's a TD threat, but I rate Royal higher because of some of the catches I saw him make. Haven't seen enough of Williams yet. Also, maybe a bit slanted because Tampa have a good running game so more balance to the O.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed 20 Jul 2011, 1:55 pm

We had no running game at all for the first half of last season.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 20 Jul 2011, 5:33 pm

I said they were productive though. And Julio walks into the best situation of all of them.

AJ Green is more likely for me with the Bengals having no proven QB.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 20 Jul 2011, 5:34 pm

Royal for me is the one who hasn't really progressed.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 20 Jul 2011, 8:08 pm

Graeme Swann's Cat wrote:I said they were productive though. And Julio walks into the best situation of all of them.

AJ Green is more likely for me with the Bengals having no proven QB.

I agree that Julio Jones is in a good situation, and I did say that he possibly could be a disappointment because of the expectation. He has been drafted to help stretch the field, is not going to receive much, if any double coverage with White and Gonzalez on the team, and has an excellent young quarterback in Matt Ryan. If he fails to match the productivity of some of those receivers you mentioned then he will be a disappointment in my view.

Compare that with AJ Green. He will most likely have a 2nd Round rookie throwing to him, and will probably be the Bengals best receiver from day 1. If he doesn't perform it is easy to say that he had less help and possibly a far worse qb.

Jones will need to outperform AJ this year or he will have had a disappointing season in my view

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down