The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Are You Currently Reading?

+119
Galted
ChequeredJersey
lfc91
AdamT
Rowanbi
kenn20152014
Alistair
Geordie
Derbymanc
Breadvan
kingraf
ONETWOFOREVER
seanmichaels
1GrumpyGolfer
The Boss
jbeadlesbigrighthand
JDizzle
88Chris05
rIck_dAgless
break_in_the_fifth
superflyweight
Mike Selig
Duty281
TRUSSMAN66
bsando
Mind the windows Tino.
english warrior
Rowley
liverbnz
Steffan
alfie
kittenv2
SharkSoul
Crimey
Ent
NickisBHAFC
Good Golly I'm Olly
Cyril
Melkor
JuliusHMarx
mckay1402
barragan
compelling and rich
tammywilson52
drsambo1928
bluestonevedder
Smirnoffpriest
Lee
Teej
GSC
Thomond
Cari
yappysnap
as1079
Casartelli
Il Gialloblu
sugarNspikes
teassoc
littleswannygirl
BigPhil
ShahenshahG
hodge
Roberto Mankini
Hero
Colan (niner)
Looseheaded
rawa86
GG
Rava
hampo17
6oldenbhoy
The Galveston Giant
dummy_half
Sir. badgerhands
Cheesehead United
Enforcer
Diggers
Celtic Warrior
greybeard
No1yankee
Sugar Floyd Louis
Fists of Fury
Mad for Chelsea
Goldbug
Kenny
Beer
Gaelic-Warrior
CFCNick
CelticLuke
Scottrf
ADMIN
racingnut
Mat
ncfc_Tooze
BALTIMORA
ALPanorak
md_fan
John From London Town
Luke
nadalistic
Pr4wn
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
theundisputedY2D2
Marky
Adam D
Sara
AquaArab
calamity jane
randy-poffo
President Trump
AberdeenSteve
Nay
Kramxel
Solerina
asdral225
Legend
davidl1061
LondonJonnyO
David Tails
123 posters

Page 11 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down

What Are You Currently Reading? - Page 11 Empty What Are You Currently Reading?

Post by David Tails Thu 17 Feb 2011, 4:40 pm

First topic message reminder :

As the title suggests; this is just a post to find out what people are currently reading (I don't want any sarcastic comments stating "This thread" thumbsup)

I'm currently reading What The Night Knows by Dean Koontz. I'm only about 19 chapters in, but it's really good so far.

I finished Shattered Bones by Stuart MacBride at the weekend. That was okay, but the editing was poor so it detracted from my enjoyment a little.

Actually that is another question for this thread. Is it just me, or does sloppy editing bother you? I'm talking in terms of spelling mistakes, double words etc. I find it really off putting and I can't really explain why. I guess it could be because it interupts the flow of the story.

It really grinds my gears Shocked

David Tails

http://officerrahl.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

What Are You Currently Reading? - Page 11 Empty Re: What Are You Currently Reading?

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 30 Oct 2013, 2:08 pm

Rowley wrote:Dahl is a brilliant writer. So versatile. His childrens books are outstanding. Loved Danny Champion of the World as a kid. He did the screen play for the Bond Film You Only Live Twice trivia fans.
He was author of Tales of the Unexpected too. That tv programme from years back.

Great writer like you say and what a life he had, lived it to the full.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

What Are You Currently Reading? - Page 11 Empty Re: What Are You Currently Reading?

Post by JDizzle Thu 07 Nov 2013, 5:16 pm

Four Kings - George Kimball

Not an ardent boxing fan, will watch the big fights and know the the big names, but really enjoyed this book. Nicely written, easy to follow and not only gives in an insight into the fights between the "four kings", but also their dealings with their trainers and various promoters. Very good read for the less informed of us about boxing.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 07 Nov 2013, 5:37 pm

JDizzle wrote:Four Kings - George Kimball

Not an ardent boxing fan, will watch the big fights and know the the big names, but really enjoyed this book. Nicely written, easy to follow and not only gives in an insight into the fights between the "four kings", but also their dealings with their trainers and various promoters. Very good read for the less informed of us about boxing.
Fantastic book. Might want to read the last great fight and unforgiveable blackness both fun reads and provide different insights into boxing - you get dragged in unawares.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 07 Nov 2013, 5:44 pm

Agree re Four Kings, easy enough for the casula fans to follow but enough in there that is new even to the hardcore fan. If you do follow shah's advice and read Unforgivable Blackness ignore the footnotes, there are too many of them, not many of them bring anything to the story and they really spoil the flow of the book.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 07 Nov 2013, 11:56 pm

Cheers guys. Just started Bookie, Gambler, Fixer, Spy by Ed Hawkins a book on corruption in cricket which is very interesting, if very depressing for a cricket fan, but have ceratinly had my appetite wetted for more boxing reads.

Unforgivable Blackness sounds decent, just a quick read on Jack Johnson suggests there would be enough to write a decent book about so will probably give it a go at some point. Picked up The Fight by Norman Mailer a few weeks ago, which I heard good things about so that'll probably come first though.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 20 Nov 2013, 4:29 pm

Am currently reading The Wolf of Wall Street as it is Scorsese’s next film and I wanted to read it before I see the film. Although I really don’t understand all the financial dealing which remains impenetrable to me, no matter how much I try and understand it, I am enjoying the book. Can’t really fault a good old rise and fall story, which this shows all the signs of being.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 20 Nov 2013, 4:54 pm

Rowley wrote:Am currently reading The Wolf of Wall Street as it is Scorsese’s next film and I wanted to read it before I see the film. Although I really don’t understand all the financial dealing which remains impenetrable to me, no matter how much I try and understand it, I am enjoying the book. Can’t really fault a good old rise and fall story, which this shows all the signs of being.
Might want to read the king of Torts by grisham - big rise and fall story - essentially a good man who gets lost in the madness following a lawsuit.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 21 Nov 2013, 12:45 pm

Recently read The Sixth Man by David Baldacci. His writing style is pretty uninspired and undemanding and the story would have been far better as a film than a book.

Currently reading Heart of Darkness. Am only 13 pages in but it does have the makings of a classic.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed 27 Nov 2013, 5:05 pm

Bookie, Gambler, Fixer, Spy by Ed Hawkins which is about gambling and match fixing in cricket, especially in India as he actually travels with a bookmaker in India for a while. Reasonably interesting and informative as it explains some of the misconceptions about spot fixing (like how you couldn't actually bet on the no balls bowled in England by the Pakistani bowlers) and explains how it is big business and it also points the finger at some high profile games without actually providing solid evidence of them being fixed.

Would recommend it if you are interested in cricket, but he has a pretty defeatist attitude about the whole thing which occasionally gets a bit much.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 09 Dec 2013, 8:58 pm

Having read Mandela's Long Walk to Freedom, I couldn't understand why a young Mandela had shown a such trepidation in allowing Indians (who were inspired by Ghandi) to join the ANC's struggle. This led to read the book, Ghandi - Behind The Mask of Divinity... Having just finished it, I'm quite disturbed at the love given to an open racist who had questionable sexual relations... It's a good read, if fact based, with very little emotion.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Mon 09 Dec 2013, 9:40 pm

Might want to read around a bit kingraf - Its like reading steffans history of england with gb singh. some overblown, some true and some out of context.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 09 Dec 2013, 10:06 pm

Possibly - but without trying to fall into a political/racial debate - it's possible some parts may have been overblown, and his sexual life is really neither here nor there, just creepy (imo, can understand if someone else gets) but he is attributed with various quotes where he quite openly states he regards Africans as the inferior race. Others where sounding like an Indian uncle Tom, he tells the English they should be placed at the head of the country, and that he is willing to send out Indian men to die in a war to establish Britain's dominance over Zulu people... I'm not sure how you can overblow, or take that out of context...
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 07 Jan 2014, 7:41 pm

Currently attempting to brush up on some Classics, so at the moment am aboiut 40-odd pages into "The Woman in White", really enjoying it so far, it is superbly written without the sort of "superior" writing style you sometimes get from such works.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 08 Jan 2014, 11:31 am

A Confederacy Of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. Up to page 204 out of 429, pretty funny so far.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 08 Jan 2014, 7:31 pm

Galted wrote:A Confederacy Of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole.  Up to page 204 out of 429, pretty funny so far.
That's an excellent read. Ignatius is such a well-written character.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 09 Jan 2014, 12:48 pm

"Get Your C**k Out" by Mark Manning (aka Zodiac Mindwarp)

Bears repeated reading as it's violent, disgusting, hilarious, disgusting, hilarious, violent and disgusting.

If you fancy it, also try reading "T*ts Out Teenage Terror Totty" by the late Steven Wells or "Vatican Bloodbath" by Tommy Udo

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Tue 14 Jan 2014, 4:33 pm

Tales from the secret footballer by ???? but possisbly Dave Kitson. Its trashy heat magazine style crap but ok to pass the time at work.
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 14 Jan 2014, 7:05 pm

Breadvan wrote:Tales from the secret footballer by ???? but possisbly Dave Kitson. Its trashy heat magazine style crap but ok to pass the time at work.
I was going to by this in the aiport the other to read in Benidorm (good job I didnt really as was never sober enough to read  Smile )

What makes you think Dave Kitson is the secret footballer? Not disagreeing like butt just wondering

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 14 Jan 2014, 7:19 pm

Steffan wrote:
Breadvan wrote:Tales from the secret footballer by ???? but possisbly Dave Kitson. Its trashy heat magazine style crap but ok to pass the time at work.
I was going to by this in the aiport the other to read in Benidorm (good job I didnt really as was never sober enough to read  Smile )

What makes you think Dave Kitson is the secret footballer? Not disagreeing like butt just wondering

http://www.whoisthesecretfootballer.co.uk/

Dave Kitson or Nicky Shorey seem to be the leading candidates.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Tue 14 Jan 2014, 9:37 pm

Just typed in who is the secret footballer on google like above. It does add up to kitson with what's in the book. It's not a bad read tbh. Some good anecdotes and insights.
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon 20 Jan 2014, 9:06 pm

Captain Beefheart: The Biography - Mike Barnes

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 30 Jan 2014, 12:30 pm

D-Day by Antony Beevor. If you like WWII history then it is pretty much a wet dream. If you don't, best give it a miss.

I really enjoy Beevor's writing and having recently read All Hell Let Loose by Max Hastings, it is nice to read a book that focuses on a specific aspect of WWII. All Hell Let Loose is superb and Hastings is a great historian (terrible journalist though) but the very fact the book is about the entire war means some parts are less detailed than others. D-Day is very detailed so far and the author isn't afraid to give his opinion, rather than just recanting facts. Enjoying it immensely at the moment.

It's also an added bonus that I can giggle at his surname every time I pick it up.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 30 Jan 2014, 12:36 pm

Finished A Confederacy Of Dunces yesterday, very funny. The writer's surname is Toole, which isn't quite as funny as Beevor. Quite a lot less funny, actually, as he's dead.

Have just started The Master And Margarita which I received for my birthday last month, along with a blue scarf. I hope that the book is really good as the scarf is a bit scratchy.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu 30 Jan 2014, 12:42 pm

Galted wrote:Finished A Confederacy Of Dunces yesterday, very funny.  The writer's surname is Toole, which isn't quite as funny as Beevor.  Quite a lot less funny, actually, as he's dead.

Have just started The Master And Margarita which I received for my birthday last month, along with a blue scarf.  I hope that the book is really good as the scarf is a bit scratchy.

You've been reading that for ages. Long book or slow reader?

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 30 Jan 2014, 12:53 pm

Funnily enough Tina got Beevor's book The Second World War for Christmas, believe it is his version of All Hell Let Loose.

Have not read it yet though, too many boxing books to get through

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 30 Jan 2014, 12:54 pm

superflyweight wrote:
Galted wrote:Finished A Confederacy Of Dunces yesterday, very funny.  The writer's surname is Toole, which isn't quite as funny as Beevor.  Quite a lot less funny, actually, as he's dead.

Have just started The Master And Margarita which I received for my birthday last month, along with a blue scarf.  I hope that the book is really good as the scarf is a bit scratchy.

You've been reading that for ages.  Long book or slow reader?  

Very slow reader, I only manage about twenty minutes a day on my lunch break.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 30 Jan 2014, 12:58 pm

Rowley wrote:Funnily enough Tina got Beevor's book The Second World War for Christmas, believe it is his version of All Hell Let Loose.

Have not read it yet though, too many boxing books to get through

Do you laugh at his surname like I do?

Are you still in Laaaandon?

People have been taking the p*ss out of you on the Culture Cup thread. Not me though, I wouldn't be so disrespectful.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 30 Jan 2014, 1:05 pm

I am still here Tina, in our office now which is comfortingly reassuring.

Hvae not been mugged yet or met Top Hat so have to class the visit as a success so far.

Do need to buy something though just to give me opportunity to whinge at the price.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 30 Jan 2014, 2:55 pm

If you have a spare £15 you could alway buy half a Guiness

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Mar 2014, 8:28 pm

Just finished the Lee Child 'Jack Reacher' books. Heard Vince Flynn was good & have just bought 'American Assassin'. Anyone read Vince Flynn & this Mitch Rapp character?

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sat 29 Mar 2014, 2:45 am

I have John, they're quite entertaining and a good read. American Assassin is the first prequel which is about the background of Mitch Rapp which is alluded to in the other stories. Kill Shot follows up that prequel.

Term Limits was his first novel but it doesn't feature Rapp it does, if memory serves me correctly, feature some characters that then return in the Rapp stories.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 04 Apr 2014, 8:37 am

Tender Is The Night by F Scott Fitzgerald. Exquisitely written but one of the main characters (60 pages in) is called Dick Diver which does make it difficult. One sentence began something like "Dick came" which, unfortunately, I'm not above finding funny.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 04 Apr 2014, 9:14 am

Galted wrote: One sentence began something like "Dick came" which, unfortunately, I'm not above finding funny.

You'd have to be dead to be above that Galted. Am finally half way through the Second World War by Antony Beevor, don't want to read on to the end and spoil it but I think we are going to win now. Fairly sure I would have got through that quicker if he had a less amusing surname.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 04 Apr 2014, 9:59 am

finished reading Meditations, by Emperor Marcus Aurelius. Quite the read, even if obviously a little archaic.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 08 Apr 2014, 12:22 pm

Rowley wrote:
Galted wrote: One sentence began something like "Dick came" which, unfortunately, I'm not above finding funny.

You'd have to be dead to be above that Galted. Am finally half way through the Second World War by Antony Beevor, don't want to read on to the end and spoil it but I think we are going to win now. Fairly sure I would have got through that quicker if he had a less amusing surname.

2 more quotes from Tender Is The Night...
...of course I do love Dick best
Now Dick hardened himself...

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 28 Apr 2014, 10:33 am

Undisputed Truth - Tyson's biography: Really enjoyed it as expected some sugar coating but seemed quite truthful and emotions seemed to come through the book. First book in a while i've taken my time over to read properly.

The Big fight - Sugar Ray Leonard: Another good book but get the feeling Leonard likes to see himself as a master at the art of outthinking people and (It seems to me) does not like to give too much credit too others (bar hearns.)

A Sugar Ray Robinson Biography (cannot remember the name) - Brilliant, for anyone that doesn't know about possibly the greatest boxer of all time and follows the sport pick up a story of his life and enjoy. If i can find the book again i'll update with the name and author.

The last Vampire vol 1 and 2/Christopher Pike - Absolute garbage, I was bored and had nothing to do. Read most of Vol 1 which was okay for a sunday afternoon read, Vol 2 was near enough the same as Vol 1 with a couple of names changed.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 29 Apr 2014, 9:45 am

Half way through Tyson's book, like you say he is not sugar coating anything, but do get the impression he is a bit whiny and am getting a bit bored of the constant tales of his bedroom exploits, but is better than I was expecting.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Tue 29 Apr 2014, 10:41 am

Rowley wrote:Half way through Tyson's book, like you say he is not sugar coating anything, but do get the impression he is a bit whiny and am getting a bit bored of the constant tales of his bedroom exploits, but is better than I was expecting.

Is it just me or do you find it a bit of a hard read? I've only got through the first two chapters and have switched to a different book as the prose is pretty poor. He does like a good lengthy chapter as well.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Tue 29 Apr 2014, 11:11 am

I thought it was a good easy read. Got to admit that it is a bit draining reading about the virility of Tyson but the same goes for a a few biographies.

Another good biography is Chris Jericho's (both of them.) He proper rips into himself sometimes and gives you a good idea of some of the backstage workings.

Sugar Ray Robinson's was by Will Haygood, it can be a bit of a trek through sometimes but again if you don't know about the man gives a good account of his life

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 29 Apr 2014, 11:19 am

6oldenbhoy wrote:
Rowley wrote:Half way through Tyson's book, like you say he is not sugar coating anything, but do get the impression he is a bit whiny and am getting a bit bored of the constant tales of his bedroom exploits, but is better than I was expecting.

Is it just me or do you find it a bit of a hard read? I've only got through the first two chapters and have switched to a different book as the prose is pretty poor. He does like a good lengthy chapter as well.

He does like a long chapter, however I read Morrissey's the other week, which is about 600 pages and has literally no chapters, in comparison this is tolerable. The book gets better 6olden, once you get out of him growing up where the endless life on the streets, bad boy stuff and into his actual career things pick up.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 30 Apr 2014, 1:45 pm

Just finished the biography of Ray Mancini (former boxer, for those who don't follow the sport). Good little read - proper review in the boxing section for anyone who posts on there.

Just got going on my first WWII-related book since finishing 'All Hell Let Loose' which it seems has been read by quite a few on here (agree it's a brilliant book). New one I'm just getting in to now is 'World War Two Behind Closed Doors - Stalin, the Nazis and the West' by Laurence Rees. Very promising so far but it's early days yet. Will post a bit more on that next week or something once I'm in to it properly. Anyone else here read it?

Interesting you mentioned Morrissey's sprawling, drawn out book there Rowley.....I've got 'A Light that never Goes Out - The enduring saga of The Smiths' which I need to start (properly) soon. Had it since Christmas, but haven't been able to get going with it yet as it just seems so heavy-duty and slow-burning. Like the Morrissey one, it's about 600-700 pages, I think.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 27 May 2014, 11:05 am

Eliot Rodger's mainfesto/diary thing.

He's a very talented writer, rather was, but was clearly ill in the head.

Seems a rather strange to say, and I'm no trying to be tactless, but it was a very good read, most enjoyable.

Some of his ideas were positively terrifying, not to mention implausible (women in concentration camps, abolish sex), but it's clear to see where his issues stemmed from.

Haven't read a book like it since Mein Kampf, and whilst he doesn't mention Hitler at all, some of his racial ideas appear to be linked from there; particularly Rodger's fascination with white-skinned, blonde girls.

Overall, very chilling.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu 29 May 2014, 12:34 pm

Duty281 wrote:Eliot Rodger's mainfesto/diary thing.

Seems a rather strange to say, and I'm no trying to be tactless, but it was a very good read, most enjoyable.

Some of his ideas were positively terrifying, not to mention implausible (women in concentration camps, abolish sex), but it's clear to see where his issues stemmed from.Haven't read a book like it since Mein Kampf, and whilst he doesn't mention Hitler at all, some of his racial ideas appear to be linked from there; particularly Rodger's fascination with white-skinned, blonde girls.

Overall, very chilling.

The fact that he was a d1ck.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 29 May 2014, 4:18 pm

Some of his ideas were positively terrifying, not to mention implausible (women in concentration camps, abolish sex), but it's clear to see where his issues stemmed from.

Haven't read a book like it since Mein Kampf, and whilst he doesn't mention Hitler at all, some of his racial ideas appear to be linked from there; particularly Rodger's fascination with white-skinned, blonde girls.

Overall, very chilling.
You sure you haven't mistaken it for Hugh Hefner's biography?

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 29 May 2014, 5:42 pm

superflyweight wrote:

Some of his ideas were positively terrifying, not to mention implausible (women in concentration camps, abolish sex), but it's clear to see where his issues stemmed from.Haven't read a book like it since Mein Kampf, and whilst he doesn't mention Hitler at all, some of his racial ideas appear to be linked from there; particularly Rodger's fascination with white-skinned, blonde girls.

Overall, very chilling.

The fact that he was a d1ck.  

I would say more the lack of proper parenting, the depression, and the social anxiety he suffered.

I can feel empathy for that.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 29 May 2014, 8:37 pm

Finished Tender Is The Night, wonderfully written which is typical of F Scott Fitzgerald, story a bit lacking which is also typical of F Scott Fitzgerald. Never really did get over one of the main characters being called Dick Diver, "Dick stiffened" and "Dick came" never ceased to amuse.

Reading Love In The Time Of Cholera now, have only finished the first chapter but is quite brilliant so far, reminds me a bit of A House For Mr Biswas.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 29 May 2014, 8:44 pm

Reading James Lee Burke Feast Day of Fools. Not usually a fan of crime fiction but picked this up a whim at the library and it is pretty good this far, which is a result as he has written shedloads.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu 29 May 2014, 10:00 pm

Just finished East of Eden by John Steinbeck.  Fantastic and definitely Steinbeck's best work (just ahead of Grapes of Wrath).  Takes a bit of effort to get through it as it is fairly long and the book has extended contemplations on the human condition.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 29 May 2014, 10:20 pm

Will have to give that a go as Grapes Of Wrath is in my top 3.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu 29 May 2014, 10:34 pm

I think it tends to split opinion, Galted.  Although I'm still undecided on the ending, I think the rest of the book is great.  

The Grapes of Wrath is brilliant - I'm a big fan of the film as well.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next