The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Are You Currently Reading?

+119
Galted
ChequeredJersey
lfc91
AdamT
Rowanbi
kenn20152014
Alistair
Geordie
Derbymanc
Breadvan
kingraf
ONETWOFOREVER
seanmichaels
1GrumpyGolfer
The Boss
jbeadlesbigrighthand
JDizzle
88Chris05
rIck_dAgless
break_in_the_fifth
superflyweight
Mike Selig
Duty281
TRUSSMAN66
bsando
Mind the windows Tino.
english warrior
Rowley
liverbnz
Steffan
alfie
kittenv2
SharkSoul
Crimey
Ent
NickisBHAFC
Good Golly I'm Olly
Cyril
Melkor
JuliusHMarx
mckay1402
barragan
compelling and rich
tammywilson52
drsambo1928
bluestonevedder
Smirnoffpriest
Lee
Teej
GSC
Thomond
Cari
yappysnap
as1079
Casartelli
Il Gialloblu
sugarNspikes
teassoc
littleswannygirl
BigPhil
ShahenshahG
hodge
Roberto Mankini
Hero
Colan (niner)
Looseheaded
rawa86
GG
Rava
hampo17
6oldenbhoy
The Galveston Giant
dummy_half
Sir. badgerhands
Cheesehead United
Enforcer
Diggers
Celtic Warrior
greybeard
No1yankee
Sugar Floyd Louis
Fists of Fury
Mad for Chelsea
Goldbug
Kenny
Beer
Gaelic-Warrior
CFCNick
CelticLuke
Scottrf
ADMIN
racingnut
Mat
ncfc_Tooze
BALTIMORA
ALPanorak
md_fan
John From London Town
Luke
nadalistic
Pr4wn
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
theundisputedY2D2
Marky
Adam D
Sara
AquaArab
calamity jane
randy-poffo
President Trump
AberdeenSteve
Nay
Kramxel
Solerina
asdral225
Legend
davidl1061
LondonJonnyO
David Tails
123 posters

Page 7 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 15  Next

Go down

What Are You Currently Reading? - Page 7 Empty What Are You Currently Reading?

Post by David Tails Thu 17 Feb 2011, 4:40 pm

First topic message reminder :

As the title suggests; this is just a post to find out what people are currently reading (I don't want any sarcastic comments stating "This thread" thumbsup)

I'm currently reading What The Night Knows by Dean Koontz. I'm only about 19 chapters in, but it's really good so far.

I finished Shattered Bones by Stuart MacBride at the weekend. That was okay, but the editing was poor so it detracted from my enjoyment a little.

Actually that is another question for this thread. Is it just me, or does sloppy editing bother you? I'm talking in terms of spelling mistakes, double words etc. I find it really off putting and I can't really explain why. I guess it could be because it interupts the flow of the story.

It really grinds my gears Shocked

David Tails

http://officerrahl.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

What Are You Currently Reading? - Page 7 Empty Re: What Are You Currently Reading?

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 03 Jan 2013, 5:37 pm

Saving myself for the last Wheel of Time book- finally after literally decades that series is over and the hours I invested in my teenage years might come to fruition.

I've had so little time to read last year, it's pretty sad but I resolve to do better in the New Year.

I see someone here is masochistic enough to read Joyce, the man who doesn't believe in sentences or punctuation or, in fact, anything resembling any kind of structure
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

What Are You Currently Reading? - Page 7 Empty Re: What Are You Currently Reading?

Post by Diggers Thu 10 Jan 2013, 2:24 pm

gazzyD wrote:Just finished the final Hunger Games book, pointless. After two very enjoyable books, the final installment was just a huge anti-climax, not impressed.

Borrowed a book called Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch which I'm just about to start reading, my mate wouldn't shut up about it so am hoping it lives up to his reviews

I actually enjoyed the first and third ones and wasnt a fan of the middle Hunger Games books.
Currently reading The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry, very much enjoying it.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 10 Jan 2013, 2:29 pm

I've started reading Catch 22, my boss bought it for me 5 years ago and keeps asking me if I've read it yet Laugh

Doesn't appear to be my cup of tea though, I don't like books that think they're funny. Not even joke books are funny.

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 10 Jan 2013, 5:47 pm

Diggers wrote:
gazzyD wrote:Just finished the final Hunger Games book, pointless. After two very enjoyable books, the final installment was just a huge anti-climax, not impressed.

Borrowed a book called Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch which I'm just about to start reading, my mate wouldn't shut up about it so am hoping it lives up to his reviews

I actually enjoyed the first and third ones and wasnt a fan of the middle Hunger Games books.
Currently reading The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry, very much enjoying it.

Tbh for me they got worse as they went along. 1 was very good, 2 was alright and 3 wasn't that great.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 10 Jan 2013, 10:21 pm

Brighton Rock by Graham Greene.

It's more enjoyable than I thought it would be
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sun 13 Jan 2013, 1:43 pm

I started to read 50 shades of gray

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun 13 Jan 2013, 6:10 pm

NickisBHAFC wrote:I started to read 50 shades of gray

What's wrong with you?

I'm reading fifty sheds of grey, some great lines in it.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 14 Jan 2013, 10:17 am

im currently on robin hobb books, currently on the third of the farseer trilogy assassins quest, been a good trilogy so far

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Mon 14 Jan 2013, 10:32 am

Ent wrote:
NickisBHAFC wrote:I started to read 50 shades of gray

What's wrong with you?

I'm reading fifty sheds of grey, some great lines in it.

Laugh

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 14 Jan 2013, 11:19 am

Azzy Mahmood wrote:I've started reading Catch 22, my boss bought it for me 5 years ago and keeps asking me if I've read it yet Laugh

Doesn't appear to be my cup of tea though, I don't like books that think they're funny. Not even joke books are funny.

Despite the fact that it's considered a classic, I thought Catch 22 was an awful book with an even worse sense of humour.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 14 Jan 2013, 11:43 am

Crimey wrote:
Azzy Mahmood wrote:I've started reading Catch 22, my boss bought it for me 5 years ago and keeps asking me if I've read it yet Laugh

Despite the fact that it's considered a classic, I thought Catch 22 was an awful book with an even worse sense of humour.
I'm 50 pages in and I want to cut my hands off, eat my eyeballs, and decapitate myself. It's dreadful. Will have to tell the boss how great it is though Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 14 Jan 2013, 1:43 pm

Has anyone read Will Selfs Book Of Dave ? I started reading ait a month or so ago and gave up after about 30 pages, it was annoying me so much. Im normally pretty good at seeing a book through but just couldnt bring myself to carry on.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon 14 Jan 2013, 2:05 pm

Diggers wrote:Has anyone read Will Selfs Book Of Dave ? I started reading ait a month or so ago and gave up after about 30 pages, it was annoying me so much. Im normally pretty good at seeing a book through but just couldnt bring myself to carry on.

Haven't read a novel of his but read the occasional article by him on BBC - he normally has valid points but has to raid the thesaurus to get them across which makes him seem revoltingly smug, can just imagine him haw-haw-hawing self-indulgently over cocktails with the literati

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 14 Jan 2013, 2:38 pm

Galted wrote:
Diggers wrote:Has anyone read Will Selfs Book Of Dave ? I started reading ait a month or so ago and gave up after about 30 pages, it was annoying me so much. Im normally pretty good at seeing a book through but just couldnt bring myself to carry on.

Haven't read a novel of his but read the occasional article by him on BBC - he normally has valid points but has to raid the thesaurus to get them across which makes him seem revoltingly smug, can just imagine him haw-haw-hawing self-indulgently over cocktails with the literati

Ive seen him on Qustion Time a few times, obviously an incredibly bright guy and even though by and large I agree with his views he still manages to deliver them in such a smug, supercilious way Id happily puch him.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by SharkSoul Fri 18 Jan 2013, 10:58 pm

Christopher Hitchens - God is not great. Very interesting counter arguement to religion for the 'free thinker'.

SharkSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 22 Jan 2013, 5:00 pm

'The Chocolate Wars' by Joel Glen Brenner - about the ruthless dealings of the multi-billion dollar American confectionary industry, particularly the secrecy and enmity between Mars and Hershey.

I'm going to follow that with 'Chocolate Wars' by Dorothy Cadbury - the same from a UK perspective.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by asdral225 Sun 27 Jan 2013, 7:06 pm

Last Man Standing. The memoirs of a Seaforth Highlander during the Great War
The man in question is Lieut Norman Collins,the book is based on letters he sent to his parents and brother, all of the letters and photos are now in the Imperial War Museum. The book is about his personal experiences in the trenches. Wounded three times he survived the war.
asdral225
asdral225

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Sun 27 Jan 2013, 7:21 pm

Just finished 'we only kill each other' a book from the 70's documenting the life of Bugsy Ben Siegel. I'm a big fan of mob films and book and felt this was really good. Some of it is hard to believe which makes it all the more amazing that its true. If you are interested in the beginning of las vegas, the mob, police corruption, actors, or 1940's glitz, this is a great book.

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by asdral225 Wed 30 Jan 2013, 6:18 pm

The Hunting Submarine: The fighting life of HMS Tally-Ho.
A sucessful Second World War submarine which operated in the Far East in waters some said to shallow to allow the subs to operate effectively.
The boat was given its name by Winston Churchill.
During the course of a day up to 40 gallons of condensation would collect causing the crew to sleep under oil skins also striking matches was a problem due to the lack of oxygen. I have only just started it but interesting facts have "surfaced" already.
asdral225
asdral225

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 30 Jan 2013, 6:22 pm

Another way to win, Pep Guardiolas biography
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by kittenv2 Wed 30 Jan 2013, 6:41 pm

'A Streetcat Named Bob' Smile
kittenv2
kittenv2

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 02 Feb 2013, 12:10 pm

Crimey wrote:

Surprised.

I really enjoyed it . Must be an age thing...

The again I read it when I was 26 Smile

Must be just down to taste then.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by teassoc Fri 08 Feb 2013, 10:59 pm

tigerrobins wrote:
Smirnoffpriest wrote:What are they about?

They're fantasy books, about a land that at night is plagued by demons who attack and kill humans at if they haven't set there magical wards properly or leave there safety. The 2 books are about the characters who the people believe will save them and there lead them into the final battle. THE PAINTED MAN, is about Arlen who is a white man and his life, THE DESERT SPEAR about Ahmann Jadir who seems to be based on a Muslim (though I could be wrong), and his life.

They tell off there childhoods,rise to power friends etc, they really are both very good entertaining books that build both characters up very well and are well worth a read if you like fantasy books.

I'm up to page 200 in the Painted Man, and to be honest I'm not enjoying it as much as I'd hoped. I've got the second one as well so I'm going to keep going and hope it improves.

BTW The next Terry Goodkind book, following on from the Omen Machine, is planned for 2nd September. Currently titled Goodkind Fantasy 2.

teassoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 08 Feb 2013, 11:28 pm

Jack Reacher ' The Hard Way'......brilliant

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 08 Feb 2013, 11:51 pm

A Memory of Light by Brandon Sanderson (cause Robert Jordan died). It's ok but only just a satisfactory end to his series
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sat 09 Feb 2013, 2:11 am

Teassoc,
The painted man is hard to start with and fairly slow, it but it does get better towards the end, I preferred The Desert Spear, which has alot more action, and intertwines with the current day better toward's the end. In my opinion They are worth sticking with though.

Not sure about the new Goodkind book, re-read the omen machine, and agree with what you said about building up the new main bad guy. But still think the series was finnished. Will get it, but it will have to be something spectacular to keep me interested I think.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by asdral225 Sat 16 Feb 2013, 1:30 pm

1000 Years of Annoying the French.
Very amusing book, basically everything that the French have taken credit for over the past 1000 years, well it puts the record straight.
The French put a clause into the Treaty of Versailles to try and protect the Champagne brand, millions of French men are left dead and mutilated after the first World War and one of things the French politicians are worried about is a name. In itself not very annoying but without the help of the British Who discovered a better way of manufacturing glass Champagne may never have come into being.
asdral225
asdral225

Back to top Go down

Post by teassoc Mon 18 Feb 2013, 10:40 pm

tigerrobins wrote:Teassoc,
The painted man is hard to start with and fairly slow, it but it does get better towards the end, I preferred The Desert Spear, which has alot more action, and intertwines with the current day better toward's the end. In my opinion They are worth sticking with though.

Agreed. It was certainly rather dull and predictable at the start. Getting much more interesting now as the main characters have got older.

The third one has now been published I believe.

teassoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 21 Feb 2013, 12:22 pm

Just finished Ulysses after months of torture, while Joyce is undoubtedly a genius think it's too showy-offy to be considered the greatest novel ever as it's often referred to.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 26 Feb 2013, 4:57 pm

This is a great read:

Spoiler:

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 26 Feb 2013, 5:10 pm

I am just rereading the first compendium of the Walking Dead graphic novel.

Forgotten how good it is!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ncfc_Tooze Tue 26 Feb 2013, 9:44 pm

im currently reading the leon mckenzie autobiography, then after that I think I will be picking the book about 1pw called against all odds, which should be interesting to say the least

ncfc_Tooze
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by ncfc_Tooze Thu 28 Feb 2013, 2:24 pm

ok so the new 1PW book is here, its massive haha
What Are You Currently Reading? - Page 7 533041_10200797105039430_476718606_n

ncfc_Tooze
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by davidl1061 Wed 13 Mar 2013, 9:01 am

I am currently reading Gary Nevilles autobiography which is quite easy to read. Im not a Man U fan but having grown up in the period he talks about it is quite interesting.

I am currently waiting for the final Peter Brett book to become available in the library, cant wait to find out the end of the story

davidl1061

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 13 Mar 2013, 10:34 am

I thought Catch 22 was classic - better than the film, which is good - and has some great 'catch 22's' in it. I read it when I was about 26 too, and loved it. But then I do love Douglas Adams (Hitchhickers Guide...), Malcolm Pryce (Aberystwyth Mon Amoir) and other comedy novels.

Reading book 4 (or book 3 part 2) of the Game of Thrones/A Song of Fire and Ice saga - excellent - I can't get enough of them.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 20 Mar 2013, 9:51 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:I thought Catch 22 was classic - better than the film, which is good - and has some great 'catch 22's' in it. I read it when I was about 26 too, and loved it. But then I do love Douglas Adams (Hitchhickers Guide...), Malcolm Pryce (Aberystwyth Mon Amoir) and other comedy novels.

Reading book 4 (or book 3 part 2) of the Game of Thrones/A Song of Fire and Ice saga - excellent - I can't get enough of them.
Smirnoff, have you read Last Tango in Aberystwyth and The Incredible Lightness of Being in Aberystwyth etc?

I lived in Aber for 5 years. I've just realised he's done 3 other Aber novels. Must check them out!

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Thu 28 Mar 2013, 1:22 pm

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich - William L.Shirer. Not bad so far. I thought it would be a tough read, especially given the length but I've quite enjoyed it.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 28 Mar 2013, 4:54 pm

liverbnz wrote:The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich - William L.Shirer. Not bad so far. I thought it would be a tough read, especially given the length but I've quite enjoyed it.

If you enjoy books on the subject Richard J Evans' trilogy The Coming of the Third Reich, The Third Reich in Power and the Third Reich at War are worth the effort, total around 2000 pages between them and will make your brain hurt by the end but are never anything less than fascinating.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by english warrior Sat 30 Mar 2013, 6:40 pm

Currently re-reading Tom Clancy's 'Red storm rising' that i first read in the late 80's when his books were fantastic, but he and they seemed to drop off a lot and get bogged down in detail. However, a truly great read and one that entertains and informs from start to finish.

Also completed Harry Sidebottoms ' Warrior of Rome ' 5 book series which is probably the best series of Books i have read in many a long year.

english warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 02 Apr 2013, 1:15 pm

I am reading a book called Liar's Poker by Michael Lewis.

It is a semi-autobiographical account of his time as a bond trader at the old Salomon Brothers investment bank. It is a bit old hat now and there are some very good contemporary books on the banking crisis that are far more current, but if you're at all interested in that sector and era, it is a hugely entertaining book. It deals with that whole Wall Street 'big swinging dick' trader era in a very witty fashion and all the 80's yuppie excesses are there in the pages.

Some of the stuff these guys got up to is just incredible and if it wasn't so funny it would be dangerous. It's a bit like Easton Ellis' American Psycho but without the executions and decapitated heads in the fridge.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 02 Apr 2013, 5:15 pm

If you enjoy Lewis' books Tina you could do worse than read The Big Short, is another one about the financial crisis but from the perspective of the small band who saw it coming and made an absolute mint backing against the market.

Also his book Moneyball is an absolute classic about Baseball, I am a baseball fan but have loaned the book to people who cannot stand the game and they loved it nearly as much as I did, definitely one of the best sports books I have read.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 03 Apr 2013, 11:24 am

Rowley wrote:If you enjoy Lewis' books Tina you could do worse than read The Big Short, is another one about the financial crisis but from the perspective of the small band who saw it coming and made an absolute mint backing against the market.

Also his book Moneyball is an absolute classic about Baseball, I am a baseball fan but have loaned the book to people who cannot stand the game and they loved it nearly as much as I did, definitely one of the best sports books I have read.

A few of the chaps at work have read The Big Short, Jeff. Most of them have good things to say about it. I didn't even know Lewis had penned Moneyball, but like yourself, I have only heard glowing reviews of it. I will pick up a copy one day.

I am also reading a book called The Religion by Tim Willocks which I am really enjoying. A good gripping yarn with lots of battles, blood and boobs. I am only a third of the way through but its an excellent book.

The third book I am reading is called The Battle of the Bulge (the Ardennes forest offensive in WWII, not around my waist) by Stephen J Zaloga. The less said about it the better. Having just read All Hell Let Loose by Max Hastings, this one is a poor imitation. The book even manages to get the date of the battle wrong by a whole year at one point. Poor show.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 03 Apr 2013, 11:35 am

Have read all of Willock's books Tina, if you enjoy The Religion get a copy of Green River Rising, is about a prison riot, is definitely his best work and comfortably one of my favourite fiction books.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 03 Apr 2013, 11:41 am

Noted Jeff. I read a review of The Religion before I started it and the reviewer said it was the best book he had read since.....

.....Green River Rising. Seems you're not alone.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 03 Apr 2013, 11:53 am

I started All Hell Let Loose Tina, did not get through it, was no reflection on the book but came fairly soon on the back of my third Reich trilogy marathon and as those had taken about three months to get through suspect I needed a break from all the death, destruction and misery that is something of a theme in war books. Also Christmas then came and bought the usual glut of boxing books which sidetracked me. Will finish it at some point though, might take it on holiday.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 03 Apr 2013, 12:01 pm

Yep, take it on holiday and finish it mate. It's pretty heavy going, I agree, but Hastings is an excellent author and historian. Terrible journalist though which is a shame.

Superfly recommended a book on Stalin by Simon Sebag Montefiore which also looks like a daunting read. Mrs Windows got it for me for Christmas but I haven't started it yet. It weighs about as much as a small child but he rates it highly so I will attempt it at some point.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 03 Apr 2013, 4:58 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:

Superfly recommended a book on Stalin by Simon Sebag Montefiore which also looks like a daunting read.

Have got his one on Dunkirk, good luck Tina, heavy old going if that is anything to go by. If you enjoy Second World War books you could do worse than Ian Kershaw's books on Hitler. He did a two part biography of him, Hubris and Nemesis, but then condensed them both into one biography, the individual ones are 1000 pages a piece as is the condensed version, of the two I would recommend the latter as it does not really lose any of the detail or insight is just a damned sight less daunting.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 03 Apr 2013, 5:04 pm

Just read Anathem by Neal Stephenson. Very heavy reading but an utter masterpiece if you can deal with the verbosity and tangents
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu 04 Apr 2013, 2:36 pm

Last Orders - Graham Swift

I tried reading this years ago but didn't really get into it. Enjoying it more now. I read Waterland by the same author at university.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 10 Apr 2013, 1:02 am

Just finished A Dance With Dragons part 2

About to start "A River Runs Through it" by Norman Maclean

It's a short read so I'll probably read either a Tim Winton or Bill Bryson novel afterwards. Going to Brazil in July so will need something to read on Ipanema beach Smile

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 15  Next