The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Manu in the evening standard

+5
Geordie
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
PJHolybloke
Countnefarious
tomathy
9 posters

Go down

Manu in the evening standard Empty Manu in the evening standard

Post by tomathy Thu 04 Aug 2011, 7:14 pm

Interview with Tuilagi in the standard today. Comes across well. Seems self confident without being too cocky. Not allowed to post the link as a new member but some extracts:

England have suffered for consistency and class in midfield since the 2003 World Cup winning side but Manu believes he can make the No13 shirt his own and be Johnson's secret weapon over the six weeks.

"I am powerful, strong and quick, I have no doubts about my ability," he said.

"I know I can play international rugby and be one of the best. It has surprised me how quickly it has all happened but I do feel as if I belong here.

"One moment I was struggling to make the Leicester team and the next I am being called up by England and find myself surrounded by all these amazing players.

"It is a real honour to play and train with these guys, really cool. I respect them a lot, there is no doubt in my mind that they are good enough to win the World Cup."

"When I first came here I thought I wanted to play for Samoa. But as the years went by and I learnt the language properly, England started to feel like home. Now it just feels right to play for England. I've been involved with the set-up for a long while, played under-16, under-18 and under-20 so this feels like the natural progression. I now dream of playing for England, of winning the World Cup with England and, of course, playing against Samoa."
tomathy
tomathy

Back to top Go down

Manu in the evening standard Empty Re: Manu in the evening standard

Post by Countnefarious Thu 04 Aug 2011, 7:34 pm

There's no doubting his ability: I don't think there's a player in England possessing his level of all 'round physical talent. Evidently his work effort is top notch too, and he's demonstrated some fabulous skills ths year. By playing him now, at 20 years of age, there is every chance that he will develop into a world class player.

I was hugely disappointed in him after the Ashton attack, but I'm just fickle enough to not give a damn once he starts tearing teams apart in an England shirt.

Countnefarious

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Thu 04 Aug 2011, 7:54 pm

The Ashton incident was hugely disappointing, but that was then and this is now.

Now I hope MT gets his nut down and works his guts out against Wales with or without the ball. Obviously I hope he does get plenty of ball, but with Flutey inside him I'm not so sure. Personally I'd have given Banahan a run out at 12 again as his offloading ability would guarantee ball AND space for MT to exploit.

I think the pack have a good balance of solid scrummers with a fair bit of mobility and three good lineout options, I expect England to compete well upfront both at set pieces and in the loose.

Given the half-back pairing I would expect quick ball from Care going forward and sound territorial kicking from Wilkinson when under pressure, I can see England looking to move Wales around the pitch and to try and tire out their pack as early as possible, with potential in the midfield and out wide England should be looking at plenty of running options.

The one potential problem I can see is with Armitage at 15, I'm not sure about his countering skills and expect Wales to test his mettle and temperament from the off.

It could be a very entertaining game.
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 04 Aug 2011, 8:01 pm

It actually sounds like somone wrote that for him, if you ever hear him speak its mostly grunts. He couldve tried harder on the learning the language bit.

Would love to see him go head to head with his brother at the world cup though, especialy given what happened last time Moody and Alessana played an international against each other. Also it would mean a ceertain team would have been knocked out in the group stages.

Hes a big game player and does not back down. That he wasnt phased by making his senior club debut against south africa, and like youngs, stood up and played his best, is a sign hes the kind of guy who can make it in internationals.
I do think its too soon for him though, and his temper is an issue as much as it was for Hartley a couple of years ago. Its possible to get it under control, but he would be a gamble.
The romantic in me wants to see him play, the practical side says he shouldnt go.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 05 Aug 2011, 9:22 am

How often do we moan that Tindall's handling, pace and creative ability is way below international level these days.

Tuilagi has it in abundance.

Johno has rightly given him a shot against a good wales side who i have no doubt will target him and maybe Banahans defensive back tracking......if he comes through it then he should start.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 05 Aug 2011, 9:48 am

It actually sounds like somone wrote that for him, if you ever hear him speak its mostly grunts. He couldve tried harder on the learning the language bit.

Him and his bro Alesana were articulate when I met them. They are very quiet and polite certainly no grunts though.

I was hugely disappointed in him after the Ashton attack

Not the first rugby player to engage in a bit of fistycuffs and won't be the last. Our esteemed team manager was known for enforcing the law in a rather brutal fashion and the likes of Botha for the Saffas has no problem doing similar. Could have been worse he could have attacked a prone player ala Armitage.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 05 Aug 2011, 10:25 am

Fine young man (and I'm not a Tigers supporter). Made a major, major cockup, but all reports show an articluate family oriented kid. Let's give him his one time where he fell off his rocker. If he was unstable, he never would have made the Leicester starting XV on a regular basis as a kid.

But I do want him in a war trench with me, though.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 05 Aug 2011, 12:27 pm

I have to agree with Sam - the whole thing went way over the top. He's not the first to throw some punches...and wont be the last. Even the much lauded Serge Blanco wasnt afraid to launch a few straights....

However....
"But I do want him in a war trench with me, though"

I wouldnt...the lads boxing skills left a bit to be desired....... Very Happy

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Aug 2011, 12:28 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:However....
"But I do want him in a war trench with me, though"

I wouldnt...the lads boxing skills left a bit to be desired....... Very Happy

Ah, but is he handy with a bayonet?

Back to top Go down

Post by tomathy Fri 05 Aug 2011, 12:31 pm

Whether or not the reaction to the punches was excessive, it was at least justified to an extent. What annoyed me was people saying things like 'the original tackle to provoke ashton was a swinging arm around the neck' when a single viewing of the replay shows that the tackle hit just below the armpit. That doesn't of course excuse what he did, but we have to assume he'll learn from it given how young he is.
tomathy
tomathy

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 05 Aug 2011, 12:40 pm

I wouldnt...the lads boxing skills left a bit to be desired

A 33.3% accuracy rating isn't the best.

I have to agree with Sam - the whole thing went way over the top

Considering the Lions used to have the 99 call and considering some of the other bouts of fisty cuffs we'd seen that year e.g. Marler vs Ayerza, I felt the media blew it out of preportion. The fact it's still brought up is clearly an annoyance for both players. It was dealt with after the game with a shake of the hand. Manu served his ban and it really should be left at that.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 05 Aug 2011, 12:48 pm

Yes hes hardly the only punchy player in the world, but he is more prone to it than the vast majority. Also these things tend to be reffed much tougher at the world cup. It is an issue.
It does run in the family too, and they are hardly averse to knocking seven bells out of each other. Its how they are bought up. Whilst its undoubtably helped toughen him up and given him the feaarless attitude that makes him the player he is he just has to remeber that you cant conduct yourslef the same way you would at the family dinner table when youre in a world cup rugby game.
Manu is easily provoked into punchups, that is a problem.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 05 Aug 2011, 12:51 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Yes hes hardly the only punchy player in the world, but he is more prone to it than the vast majority. Also these things tend to be reffed much tougher at the world cup. It is an issue.
It does run in the family too, and they are hardly averse to knocking seven bells out of each other. Its how they are bought up. Whilst its undoubtably helped toughen him up and given him the feaarless attitude that makes him the player he is he just has to remeber that you cant conduct yourslef the same way you would at the family dinner table when youre in a world cup rugby game.
Manu is easily provoked into punchups, that is a problem.

Hense taking Spikey Mike in the Welsh squad, he loves a wind up Hug
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Fri 05 Aug 2011, 2:09 pm

England would only be able to meet Samoa in a semi-final at the earliest, so yeah, I hope we get to play Samoa too!

Really looking forward to seeing how he goes, I think he'll end up going to the World Cup. I would definitely give him another couple of runs in the group stage against Georgia and Romania.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down