The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

QPR look to sign Luke Young

4 posters

Go down

QPR look to sign Luke Young Empty QPR look to sign Luke Young

Post by Crimey Sat 27 Aug 2011, 10:18 am

Aston Villa defender Luke Young is in talks over a move to Queens Park Rangers. The versatile 31-year-old has started in his preferred right-back position in both of Villa's Premier League games so far this season. But he has been allowed to talk to Neil Warnock's side as they seek to rebuild under new owner Tony Fernandes.

Young joined Villa in 2008 from Middlesbrough for a reported fee of more than £2.5m. He has since made 85 appearances for the club, scoring two goals.

The Hoops, who have loaned striker Rowan Vine to Exeter City for a month, have also been linked with Manchester City winger Shaun Wright-Phillips.

source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14683259.stm

A good signing for QPR, and good news for Kyle Walker? Luke Young always seems to be one of those players on the cusp of a move.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

QPR look to sign Luke Young Empty Re: QPR look to sign Luke Young

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 27 Aug 2011, 10:35 am

Don't think this will materialise, but there will be plenty of Luke Young type players linked with QPR until the end of the transfer market. What with Fernandes taking over and having a shaky start.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 27 Aug 2011, 3:47 pm

You were wrong, he has signed now.

Queens Park Rangers have completed the signing of defender Luke Young from Aston Villa for an undisclosed fee. Young becomes the second signing at Loftus Road since Tony Fernandes completed his takeover of the club.

The 32-year-old told the QPR website: "There are big things that are going to happen at this football club and I am really pleased to be a part of it."

Young, who has signed a three-year deal, follows Joey Barton, who this week completed a move from Newcastle.

The versatile defender began his career at Tottenham, had spells with Charlton and Middlesbrough and played in Villa's first two Premier League games this season.

He added: "I am ready for a new challenge. Myself and Joey signing here shows the intent of the club. I am really looking forward to getting started and pulling on the blue and white shirt."

QPR manager Neil Warnock was delighted to sign Young, who has seven England caps.He said: "I've been looking for a defender with vast Premier League experience for a while now and Luke certainly fits the bill. He can play anywhere across the back four and that versatility will stand us in really good stead. Moving back home to London will also serve him well and I'm really looking forward to seeing him in action for us - he's got so much to give and his experience will be vital."

source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14683259.stm

A decent enough signing, but hardly groundbreaking for QPR, I think they were hoping for more action in the transfer market than Joey Barton and Luke Young.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 27 Aug 2011, 4:54 pm

OP, why would it be good news for Kyle Walker? He's not at Villa and Harry has said he wants him to stay with Spurs.

Young and Barton give QPR some Premier League experience, but I think they may try and sign someone who will excite the fans.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 27 Aug 2011, 7:04 pm

Oh yeah! Doh Forgot he was only on loan at Villa, thought it was the other way around.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 28 Aug 2011, 12:34 am

Barton is quality and can bring a team together.... At the same time he can break one up just as quick... Clash of personalities with him and Warnock possibly?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Mon 29 Aug 2011, 12:13 am

Shaun Wright-Phillips will sign today (Monday) and QPR are also looking at getting in Scott Dann and Craig Bellamy.

Joe Cole, Scott Parker and Peter Crouch are still on the radar too but appear longshots now.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by Jammy31 Mon 29 Aug 2011, 9:16 pm

As a Q.P.R fan (and this is solely my opinion), I think that the Fernandes takeover is great. I think that he is genuinely in love with football as a game, and he's not treating it like just another cash cow.

The fact that he's given Warnock the funds to sign the likes of Joey Barton and Luke Young is a great start. So, we had a very enlightening welcome to the Premier League in the defeat against Bolton. But we dominated the first half, and creating the odd chance here and there in the second before falling to bits. Against Everton, it was a completely different story. We were shocking in defense but managed to hold on, and Tommy Smith curled the ball into the net. We then managed to hold on for 60mins, and fought well to keep the lead, and eventually win the game. Then, against Wigan, we had chance after chance after chance. Could we put it away? No, we couldnt. We hit the woodwork three times, and scuppered numerous chances. Then we were caught short and beaten.

Unfortunately for us, we have a serious problem with defending. We need solid defenders who aren't going to step off strikers, in turn letting them shoot (e.g. Gary Cahill's stunner in the opening game of the season). Then at the opposite end of the pitch, we need someone willing to shoot on site. Someone who can create chances, and most importantly, take them.

With the signings that we are rumoured to be making in the near future, we will hopefully be able to solve these problems enough to keep us up and if I'm being more optimistic, maybe push us into the top half of the table. We are going in a forward direction, with exciting times ahead, and right now, I can honestly say in the 13 years I have supported Q.P.R, this is the most anticipated season for me by far.
Jammy31
Jammy31

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 30 Aug 2011, 6:42 pm

Sorry Jammy, but with other signings like Traore and Anton Ferdinand I think your defence will struggle. Would like to see QPR stay up to see if they were to go after better players next year.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down