The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steve Foster Jr Loses Title

3 posters

Go down

Steve Foster Jr Loses Title Empty Steve Foster Jr Loses Title

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Sat 26 Feb 2011, 9:44 pm

Steven Foster Jr was outclassed by Ermano Fegatilli tonight, losing a UD and his Euro SFW crown in the process. Fegatilli, the underdog, was winning the fight going into the 9th when he dropped Foster with a body shot. He then dropped Foster 3 times in the 10th with the body attack and once more in the 11th. Foster bravely came out for the 12th but lost a clear decision in which the judges were still generous to him in defeat. Personally I've never hugely rated Foster but assumed this fight would be a gimme for him as Fegatilli is an unheralded fighter with only a 19% KO record. But he had Foster on the deck 5 times and showed some technical class, notably his accurate body attack.

Foster Jr blamed a virus in training for his poor performance, but once you step through the ropes you leave the excuses outside them, and he was beaten handily by a decent opponent on the night - probably more decent than Foster was expecting.

Anyone else watch the fight? Where does Foster Jr go from here?
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Steve Foster Jr Loses Title Empty Re: Steve Foster Jr Loses Title

Post by skimpton Sun 27 Feb 2011, 7:54 pm

I watched this on sky+ this morning as I went out last night.
As you say there is no room for excuses but it did look to me like he ran out of steam and energy after the 5th which would tie up with his story, but you cannot take anything away from Fegatilli.
i thought Foster was 3-2 up after 5 and looked to be stepping things up. The 5th round was clearly won and I thought he would go on to win well, but he came out in the 6th with no momentum and looked a completely different fighter.
If the illness was genuine he can come back but will need to work/earn his way back up again to that level which may take 2-3 fights depending on what hatton can sort for him. That could be a year away.

skimpton

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Mon 28 Feb 2011, 10:31 am

I'm not so sure that Foster was outclassed. He clearly ran out of steam in the middle of the fight and had real trouble taking body shots. Fegatilli isn't a big puncher so that would indicate some sort of physical problem for Foster and the virus story, and comments from John Rawling on how bad Foster looked at the weigh in, would make sense.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Mon 28 Feb 2011, 10:34 am

Credit to Fegatilli though. He toughed it out in the first few rounds and then came on strong to dominate the fight. Also, he didn't even get upset about virtually everybody on the Sky team calling him Faggetelli.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down