The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gareth Thomas ends remarkable RUGBY career full stop

+6
bedfordwelsh
rodders
SubsBench
munkian
LondonTiger
Morgannwg
10 posters

Go down

Gareth Thomas ends remarkable RUGBY career full stop Empty Gareth Thomas ends remarkable RUGBY career full stop

Post by Morgannwg Tue 25 Oct 2011, 1:22 pm

Alfie has announced an immediate retirement from all forms of rugby. Remember he did not announce any sort of retirement from Rugby Union, until now. Thomas swtiched to Rugby League after winning 100 caps for Wales in Rugby Union. Honours include:

Rugby Union career: Wales 100 caps (1995-2007); British & Irish Lions 3 caps (v New Zealand 1995); Clubs: Bridgend, Cardiff RFC, Celtic Warriors, Toulouse, Cardiff Blues; squaring off against Eddie Butler on Scrum V.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/wales/15442570.stm

Watching that old clip did make me chuckle. It was like watching a live 606 post-off.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Gareth Thomas ends remarkable RUGBY career full stop Empty Re: Gareth Thomas ends remarkable RUGBY career full stop

Post by LondonTiger Tue 25 Oct 2011, 1:25 pm

Point 1 - the serious one
While never the most talented of players, he certainly made the most of what he had.

Point 2 - the less serious one
I thought he already had retired. Has Phil Vickery?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Gareth Thomas ends remarkable RUGBY career full stop Empty Re: Gareth Thomas ends remarkable RUGBY career full stop

Post by munkian Tue 25 Oct 2011, 1:27 pm

He was about to play in the four nations game - weird
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by SubsBench Tue 25 Oct 2011, 1:34 pm

The timing is a bit strange. Not aware of any injury and as Munkian says Alfie was due to play in the four nations.

SubsBench

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 25 Oct 2011, 1:37 pm

Great player. I think the League move was a bit of a publicity stunt, at least on the Crusadors side, but he was a fantastic union player.

He can retire a happy man. 100+ caps for Wales, HEC victory with Toulouse, captained Wales to a GS, captained the Lions, dual code international, briefly Wales record try scorer.

Thats a pretty remarkable career by any standards.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 25 Oct 2011, 1:39 pm

Agree, he's a bit of a self centred git but really put his body on the line for Wales
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 25 Oct 2011, 1:45 pm

No he never retired, believe it or not neither has Allan Bateman and until recently I would still have picked him Wink
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 25 Oct 2011, 6:32 pm

Phil Vickery... Broken Record

He refused to announce his retirement from Rugby Union, up until now. He was a great player for us during his years of service and deserves many plaudits.

I mainly posted this because of the hilarious duel between him and Eddie. The issue (if ever there was one) between Alfie and Mike Ruddock is another debate in itself. The RUMOUR was Ruddock slept with his wife. laughing
She's now his ex-wife, of course...
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Taffy Tue 25 Oct 2011, 6:51 pm

Goes to show you can't trust rumours, I heard it was Sonny Parker's wife...

Thanks Alfie and good luck.

Cardiff Taffy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Tue 25 Oct 2011, 7:53 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Point 1 - the serious one
While never the most talented of players, he certainly made the most of what he had.

Point 2 - the less serious one
I thought he already had retired. Has Phil Vickery?

Vickery just won celeb master chef, go figure

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue 25 Oct 2011, 7:56 pm

Good luck to Alfie. He gave his all. Thanks for the mammaries. Happy retirement mate. OK
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Tue 25 Oct 2011, 8:02 pm

Being Welsh I'm probably in a small minority with this view but I never liked Alfie and I thought he was a terrible choice as captain. He was a talented if not remarkable player who played union too long. I couldn't stand the stupid head slapping when he scored and would cringe at every interview.

No malice intended and I wish him well.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Tue 25 Oct 2011, 8:06 pm

I think Alfie was a great player and a terrible skipper for Wales, whatever went on with MR only they know, but there is no doubt Alfie had his hand in it

i wonder if he is retirign suddenly to go to hollywood and train Mickey

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 25 Oct 2011, 8:31 pm

I think he captained well for a time and was a good choice to get a team together, that said I think he ahs to much say as run the roost with proverbial rod of iron.

Was better after France than ever was before it.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down