The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales avoid World Cup ref Alain Rolland for Six Nations matches

+14
BATH_BTGOG
eirebilly
maestegmafia
XR
Gatts
doctornickolas
majesticimperialman
bedfordwelsh
doctor_grey
gelodge
red_stag
Comfort
Boyne
jammoboss
18 posters

Go down

Wales avoid World Cup ref Alain Rolland for Six Nations matches Empty Wales avoid World Cup ref Alain Rolland for Six Nations matches

Post by jammoboss Tue 01 Nov 2011, 3:20 pm

ALAIN ROLLAND will play no part in any of Wales' Six Nations matches following his controversial decision to send off skipper Sam Warburton in the World Cup semi-final against France.

Rolland will not take charge or perform the duties of assistant referee or TMO in Wales games throughout the whole tournament.

The Irishman became the villain of Wales' World Cup campaign in New Zealand after showing Warburton the red card for a "tip tackle" on France winger Vincent Clerc in the opening stages of the biggest game in Wales' history.

Wales went on to lose the match 9-8, with many Welsh fans feeling Rolland was too hasty in dismissing the Blues flanker.

Warburton was subsequently banned for three weeks after admitting the tackle was dangerous.

While the IRB have given no official reason for the decision to keep Wales and Rolland apart, it contrasts to the previous three years when the former Irish international player has refereed Wales in each tournament.

He has taken carge of Wales' clashes against England in the past two Six Nations tournaments

Rolland will, however, referee France's match against England in Paris on March 11 and Italy's clash with Scotland a week later.

He will also be assistant referee for Italy v England and Scotland v France.

IRB Referees Selection Committee Chairman David Pickering, who is also chairman of the WRU, said: “It was a very tough selection process. The overall standard of performance by the match official team during Rugby World Cup was exceptionally high and they can be proud of their contribution to what was a wonderful Tournament.

"The key now is to maintain these high standards and build on the execllent work achieved in New Zealand as we refocus on the RBS Six Nations.”

Full refereeing appointments for Wales' Six Nations matches

Ireland v Wales: Feb 5, Aviva Stadium, Ref: W Barnes

Wales v Scotland: Feb 12, Millennium Stadium, Ref: R Poite

England v Wales: Feb 25 Twickenham, Ref: S Walsh

Wales v Italy: March 10, Millennium Stadium, Ref: G Clancy

Wales v France: March 17, Millennium Stadium, Ref: C Joubert

jammoboss

Back to top Go down

Wales avoid World Cup ref Alain Rolland for Six Nations matches Empty Re: Wales avoid World Cup ref Alain Rolland for Six Nations matches

Post by Boyne Tue 01 Nov 2011, 3:23 pm

The villain hey? For applying the rules? I thought Hook and Jones were the villains for missing all those points?

Seriously, dry your tears, mate. Stop whinging...

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Wales avoid World Cup ref Alain Rolland for Six Nations matches Empty Re: Wales avoid World Cup ref Alain Rolland for Six Nations matches

Post by Comfort Tue 01 Nov 2011, 3:27 pm

To be fair think of the amount of the welsh general rugby public that were told by ITV that Rolland was the reason Wales didnt reach the final, think of the amount of these that flood cardiff on international matchdays and start drinking at 11am, its probably for his own good (however correct the call was and how much blame lies on the shoelaces of hook & stevey), he'd be tarred and feathered. censored

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Tue 01 Nov 2011, 3:32 pm

.....whatever, I just think its really pathetic. If anything the french should want none of him.

When Jones handled the ball on the ground, it was the clearest peno you'll ever see (Poux got pinged).

Up steps Hapenny and.......misses.

Wales lost cause they were not good enough to beat France. End of ..nuff said. Punto basta.

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Tue 01 Nov 2011, 3:37 pm

dude, i agree with you, i just said that, and i actually posted a massive rant about the conversations ive had to have with people in the office trying to explain why it was the right call, why we still should have won and why Rolland was a good ref.

if you want to be a knobber, do it elsewhere Cool

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Tue 01 Nov 2011, 3:39 pm

People can make up their own mids, no? Hopefully some are not so influenced about what c rap they hear on the TV they actually believe it?

Anyway sorry for knocking your nob Wink

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 01 Nov 2011, 3:46 pm

Boyne, to be fair TV influences people so so so so much.

The most common commentator myths:

- If the defening team collapses three 5m scrums is a penalty try
- He has to let him up
- That forward passes are about where the ball travels
etc
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gelodge Tue 01 Nov 2011, 3:56 pm

The full 6N match officials appointments are here:

http://www.irb.com/mm/Document/Training/MatchOfficialPnl/02/06/04/30/110919TO6NAppointmentsEdited.pdf

gelodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Tue 01 Nov 2011, 3:57 pm

haha boyne, stay away from there...

... and yes, but the call was being argued against by faces people will recognise as greats of the game and this will of course lead them into believing what the pundits are saying. Especially if theyre 5/6 pints deep by then.

Alas, I've had to explain the decision less and less, and ive stopped hearing "we woz robbed" around the office, for now, me and my moustache are a happy man! mo1

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 01 Nov 2011, 6:30 pm

Boyne wrote:The villain hey? For applying the rules? I thought Hook and Jones were the villains for missing all those points?

Seriously, dry your tears, mate. Stop whinging...

This is obviously cut and pasted from a news article online. The way it's written gives it away. A quick google search confirms this. Don't shoot the messenger!

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 01 Nov 2011, 7:07 pm

But Wales have Steve Walsh for the England tussle. From the frying pan into the fire, as it were. Whether complaints about Rolland are legit or not, no one knows what you are going to get with Steve Walsh. Still don't know why he is even a top level referee.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 01 Nov 2011, 7:10 pm

What a load of old cobblers, Rolland DID NOT cost us that match, yes his (correct) decision by letter of the law change course of the match but our missed kicks is what lost us that game.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 01 Nov 2011, 7:34 pm

This is a Weatern Mail article. Do not take it out on the OP, blame the Western Fail for another wonderfully one eyed article.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 01 Nov 2011, 7:37 pm

Boyne wrote:.....whatever, I just think its really pathetic. If anything the french should want none of him.

When Jones handled the ball on the ground, it was the clearest peno you'll ever see (Poux got pinged).

Wales lost cause they were not good enough to beat France. End of ..nuff said. Punto basta.

It was Charteris BTW
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by jammoboss Tue 01 Nov 2011, 7:42 pm

Griff wrote:This is a Weatern Mail article. Do not take it out on the OP, blame the Western Fail for another wonderfully one eyed article.

I was scared to reply Laugh

jammoboss

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue 01 Nov 2011, 8:20 pm

Why has Rolland not been allowed to ref the Wales games in the 6ns.

Is it just the luck of the draw, or have the WRU demanded that Rolland not be a REF in any of their games?

Whether the red card in the RWC was right or not. It should not play any part in the 6ns games.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Tue 01 Nov 2011, 8:31 pm

Well I for one am glad.

And before I get jumped all over, its not for THAT decision, it's for the myriad of other ones he gets wrong.

For years he has given us a hard time in games and he's the one ref who I can't stand seeing in the middle when Wales play. I would even prefer Wayne Barnes and that's saying something.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Tue 01 Nov 2011, 8:34 pm

Does this mean we can pick Sam 'Spears' Warburton?

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 01 Nov 2011, 9:30 pm

Glad we don't have him,nothing to do with the World Cup,
im glad because he always seems to officiate low scoring games.

He is clearly unfit and keeps the tempo of the game at a slow to moderate pace.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Nov 2011, 10:14 am

majesticimperialman wrote:Is it just the luck of the draw, or have the WRU demanded that Rolland not be a REF in any of their games?

How do you propose the WRU could do that?

I also love the irony of an Irishman telling Welsh people to stop moaning about a refereeing decision, because we didn't see any of that from your side of the water after our 6 Nations game this year did we ;-)

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Wed 02 Nov 2011, 10:28 am

unfortunately this is probably because of the mindless louts that now go and watch wales games. You know, the kind who don't even support a club or region. They usually are flanked by their slightly rotund wives who have plenty of pink cowboy hats and a plastic dafodils, but no common sense or rugby knowledge.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 03 Nov 2011, 7:28 am

Not really all that great, Rolland is a far better referee than the other five we get instead.

The IRB really need to invest in personel on the adjudicating front.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 03 Nov 2011, 8:14 am

I still think that Rolland is a very good ref. I stand by my thoughts that his decision in the RWC (although correct) was overzealous.

That said, i do understand the Welsh fans willingness to avoid him as he has generally had his bad matches when refereeing Wales.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by BATH_BTGOG Thu 03 Nov 2011, 9:53 am

Surely this isn't right.

If Rolland did nothing wrong then why should Wales avoid him for the 6 nations, this doesn't sit comfortable with me.

Mo Bro mo1
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 03 Nov 2011, 10:08 am

Boyne wrote:.....whatever, I just think its really pathetic. If anything the french should want none of him.

Boyne, do you mean Charteris handled and Mas got pinged?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 03 Nov 2011, 10:24 am

What if its just a coincidence?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by BATH_BTGOG Thu 03 Nov 2011, 10:34 am

Maybe Glas, but with 5 games you would expect one of the top refs in the world to be a touch judge or TMO.

Maybe the WRU couldn't guarantee his safety?

Lets face it if someone gets tanked up there is very little stopping them running onto the pitch and thumping him.
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 03 Nov 2011, 12:32 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:

Wales were not good enough to beat France with only 14 players.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Nov 2011, 10:16 am

maestegmafia wrote:
AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:

Wales were not good enough to beat France with only 14 players.
Wales are not the only side to have a player sent off, but they seem to have the most excuses and unwillingness to let it go. Move on!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 04 Nov 2011, 10:22 am

It's not all Welshmen, honestly it isn't. Most of us know it was missed kicks that cost us. Hopefully Sam Warburton coming out and saying that Rolland was right to red-card him will draw a line under it.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri 04 Nov 2011, 10:44 am

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 04 Nov 2011, 10:52 am

Just like that.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri 04 Nov 2011, 11:03 am

Wales avoid World Cup ref Alain Rolland for Six Nations matches Tommy-cooper-emoticon
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Fri 04 Nov 2011, 2:44 pm

To be honest, I never really track how many times a referee hasn't overseen Ireland. Odds are avoiding Wales is a complete non-factor when they were organising the referees for the games.

Jeeps, if you couldn't have a referee oversee a team in a match because the media make a huge deal out of one call in a previous game, then we will run out of referees available to oversee any rugby game within 2 years.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri 04 Nov 2011, 2:49 pm

___________________________________________!!
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down