The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BBC Sports Personality of the Year

+45
Grizzly
kwinigolfer
time please
djlovesyou
Tranquil Chaos
Kay Fabe
jbeadlesbigrighthand
geoff998rugby
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
JDandfries
CaledonianCraig
Pal Joey
Gibson
erictheblueuk
guildfordbat
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Davie
azania
Super D Boon
GG
Derbyblue
B91212
Adam D
damngoodOvalball
McLaren
Diggers
Yadsendew
TopHat24/7
Faldono1fan
AlexHuckerby
cabbagesandbrussels
Rava
super_realist
Gentleman01
beshocked
Mad for Chelsea
Fists of Fury
88Chris05
LondonTiger
Rowley
Scottrf
skyeman
Union Cane
The Galveston Giant
ADMIN
49 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Who should win the SPOTY?

BBC Sports Personality of the Year Vote_lcap11%BBC Sports Personality of the Year Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 17 ]
BBC Sports Personality of the Year Vote_lcap4%BBC Sports Personality of the Year Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 6 ]
BBC Sports Personality of the Year Vote_lcap4%BBC Sports Personality of the Year Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 6 ]
BBC Sports Personality of the Year Vote_lcap6%BBC Sports Personality of the Year Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 10 ]
BBC Sports Personality of the Year Vote_lcap5%BBC Sports Personality of the Year Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 8 ]
BBC Sports Personality of the Year Vote_lcap12%BBC Sports Personality of the Year Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 19 ]
BBC Sports Personality of the Year Vote_lcap9%BBC Sports Personality of the Year Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 14 ]
BBC Sports Personality of the Year Vote_lcap22%BBC Sports Personality of the Year Vote_rcap 22% 
[ 35 ]
BBC Sports Personality of the Year Vote_lcap13%BBC Sports Personality of the Year Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 20 ]
BBC Sports Personality of the Year Vote_lcap14%BBC Sports Personality of the Year Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 23 ]

Total Votes : 158

BBC Sports Personality of the Year Empty BBC Sports Personality of the Year

Post by ADMIN Tue 29 Nov 2011, 10:10 am

The BBC have announced this year’s nominations for the Sports Personality of the Year and they are as follows:

Alistair Cook
Amir Khan
Andrew Strauss
Andy Murray
Dai Greene
Darren Clarke
Luke Donald
Mark Cavendish
Mo Farah
Rory McIlroy

I’d like to ask people who are knowledgeable on any of the above nominations to submit to me a brief paragraph or two with the nominees achievements over the past 12 months and the reasons for why they should be included. If you are interested in this please PM me.

Do you agree with the nominees? Are there any glaring omissions? And most importantly who do you think will win?

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

BBC Sports Personality of the Year Empty Re: BBC Sports Personality of the Year

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 29 Nov 2011, 10:11 am

Think i prefered Hero.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 29 Nov 2011, 10:12 am

*formerly
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Tue 29 Nov 2011, 10:14 am

Hi, from the cricket section. My vote went to Donald. Been brilliant all year.
Cavendish would have been my next choice. An outstanding achievement.

Last edited by skyeman on Tue 29 Nov 2011, 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 29 Nov 2011, 10:17 am

Khan is the one I’d feel most qualified to talk about. He will have had three fights at the time of the ceremony. Started with a slightly controversial stoppage against a Euro level fighter in McCloskey, but a fight he was dominating. Then a stoppage against a top 10 name, but slightly past it, in Zab Judah. He has a fight coming up on Sky Sports against Lamont Peterson who is probably top 10 divisionally but Khan would be expected to win. Might help him a bit because it’s so close to the awards show.

A decent year, but still hasn’t put his place at the top of his division beyond doubt, and when you consider others are one of the best in the entire sport, realistically, he shouldn’t win it.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 29 Nov 2011, 10:18 am

Is that how it'd done by the way? When exactly is the 12 months because it makes quite a difference in Khan's case. If it's from now it includes the Maidana win which is his best.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 29 Nov 2011, 10:19 am

My vote went to Cook, think because the England Cricket team seem to have very much bought into the team ethic they do not tend to make to much of a deal out of individual acheivements which is a shame because what Cook did in the Ashes in Australia was truly remarkable.

Also am sure the golf fans will give me dogs abuse for this but for me to get too over excited about a golfers acheivements I would like to see them win a major.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 29 Nov 2011, 10:20 am

rowley wrote:My vote went to Cook, think because the England Cricket team seem to have very much bought into the team ethic they do not tend to make to much of a deal out of individual acheivements which is a shame because what Cook did in the Ashes in Australia was truly remarkable.

Also am sure the golf fans will give me dogs abuse for this but for me to get too over excited about a golfers acheivements I would like to see them win a major.
Rory won the US Open.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Tue 29 Nov 2011, 10:22 am

Scottrf, if you wish to put together a few lines about Khan I can add it to the OP. OK

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 29 Nov 2011, 10:22 am

Well aware of that Scott, and suspect it will be enough to see him win it, however probably because I am more of a cricket fan than golf would have to go with Cook, think to stuff the Aussies in Australia is not something that happens too frequently and for him to score at the rate he did was truly remarkable.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 29 Nov 2011, 10:23 am

Scottrf wrote:Is that how it'd done by the way? When exactly is the 12 months because it makes quite a difference in Khan's case. If it's from now it includes the Maidana win which is his best.

There's a clue in the title of the award.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 29 Nov 2011, 10:24 am

I've went for Murray because i don't think Khans wins, although impressive, are enough to win sports personality of the year.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 29 Nov 2011, 10:25 am

Based on achievements:

I have gone for Mark Cavendish for the dual achievement of winning the sprint jersey at the Tour de France and the World Road Championship.

I have Mo Farrah second - obtaining a gold and silver at the world championships was supplemented by being the fastest runner in the world at 5000 & 10000m.

Third was Luke Donald. While he may not have won a major - he did "win" the two major tours - USPGA and European - the first time it has ever been done.

Based on Personality -

Darren Clarke hands down.

As to a few words about the contenders - probably best to refer people to the Beeb: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/sports_personality/15920702.stm (Links to profiles near the bottom)

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 29 Nov 2011, 10:26 am

Union Cane wrote:
Scottrf wrote:Is that how it'd done by the way? When exactly is the 12 months because it makes quite a difference in Khan's case. If it's from now it includes the Maidana win which is his best.

There's a clue in the title of the award.
A year doesn't necessarily begin on a specific date. It's not Sports Personality of the Calendar Year smartass.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 29 Nov 2011, 10:27 am

The Galveston Giant wrote:I've went for Murray because i don't think Khans wins, although impressive, are enough to win sports personality of the year.

You're verging on Steffan territory here GG.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 29 Nov 2011, 10:28 am

rowley wrote:
The Galveston Giant wrote:I've went for Murray because i don't think Khans wins, although impressive, are enough to win sports personality of the year.

You're verging on Steffan territory here GG.

Laugh I know, i couldn't help it.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 29 Nov 2011, 10:29 am

It's not Sports Personality of the Twelve Months Preceding The Announcement Of The Nominations either...

I believe they announce the winner thus - "Sports Personality of the Year 2011 is..."
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 29 Nov 2011, 10:31 am

Has to be Mo Farah for me. Britain has regularly featured at the top of cricket, cycling, golf and so on in recent years, but it's been a dark, dark two or three decades for British distance running on the male side since Coe, Ovett and Cram. Global titles across all track & field have been rare for British athletes in recent times, so Farah's silver-gold double in the 10,000 m and 5,000 m in Daegu was one hell of an achievement.

Most impressive to me, I think, was the way in which he bounced back from the personal disappointment of running such a great race but losing the gold in the final stretch in the 10,000 m, the race he was widely expected to win, to then go and take gold in the 5,000 m where he was less fancied. Would have taken a lot of mental strength, self-belief and bottle.

Sadly, I think he'll lose out to someone from the more 'glitzy' sports, but if it were down to me Farah would be the number one by a considerable margin.

Last edited by 88Chris05 on Tue 29 Nov 2011, 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 29 Nov 2011, 10:32 am

Alastair Cook, for me.

We have to remember that Cook was under a tremendous amount of pressure heading in to the Ashes series in Australia over the winter. After a horrific series against Pakistan where he was undone time and again by the swinging new ball, his place in the ngland side was in real jeopardy.

One thing this England management setup promotes, however, is consistency. They stuck with Cook, despite his torrid time against Pakistan, and backed him to regain form out in Australia with the pressure of an Ashes series added in to the mix. Nobody could have expected what he went on to do. He scored three centuries, I believe, including a big double hundred, and averaged in excess of 100 throughout the series, taking part in a record breaking partnership with Jonathan Trott, to boot. Back in England, Cook suffered a slight dip in form against Sri Lanka, but went on to swiftly regain his touch and make a massive score when falling just short of a triple century against then world number 1 Test side, India.

To provide such returns under such a huge amount of pressure has to be commended, and is a real display of character. When you add to the above that Cook has been made the England One Day International captain, and has adapted his game in order to be a success in that format too, along with the fact that he is a thoroughly humble and nice bloke, he has to be a serious candidate for the award.

Well done, sir.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 29 Nov 2011, 10:36 am

I think Cavendish should win it, his achievements this year have been nothing short of outstanding. The Tour de France is probably the second-most watched event world-wide after the football WC (helped by the fact it's three weeks long but still...) and he was the first ever British winner of the Green Jersey, including five stage wins (most wins by a single rider this year, AGAIN) and only second Briton to win a major jersey. Add to that the win in the World Championships, which for a sprinter are pretty much the pinnacle of the sport (given they can't compete for overall classification in the Grand Tours), and you have a truly outstanding candidate.

Next option would be Farah, whose double medal haul and year-long dominance were quite brilliant. However, the Worlds aren't the pinnacle of Athletics, the Olympics are, hence Farah ranks behind Cav for me.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 29 Nov 2011, 10:43 am

Mo Farah has dominated his sport this yaer so I went for him!

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 29 Nov 2011, 10:45 am

I went for Cook but also believe Cavendish would be a very worthy winner.

Between Cook and Cavendish in my opinion for the prize.

Murray shouldn't be in the running till/if he wins a slam then he'll be a favourite.

Luke Donald hasn't won a major so not sure why he is in contention either.

Amir Khan needs to fight Bradley and Alexander.

As Mad for Chelsea says Mo Farah needs to win the big one next year. If he does he'll be in contention.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman01 Tue 29 Nov 2011, 10:45 am

Cook's been the best batsmen in thw world over the last 12 months. He's averaged something like 85 over the last 12 months. When you consider that includes test series against India and Australia (in Australia) that is a ridiculously high average. He has been so good, it is difficult to see, realistically how he could have done better. The mark of a grwat sportsmen is to perform when it really counts. In Australia Cook well and truly stepped up and performed at a level he has never performed at before. it's been a good year for the golfers but I can't look past Cook. He's had almost the perfect year

Gentleman01

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 29 Nov 2011, 10:49 am

Consistency is a key word here. All of those on that list have had a degree of success, but often in isolation, whereas Cook has been playing at the highest level against very good sides for the entire year. For that, I feel he deserves it.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 29 Nov 2011, 10:50 am

Cook, best eater of cucumber sandwiches in the UK 2011.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 29 Nov 2011, 10:55 am

...and the golf section wonder why nobody likes them.

Last edited by Union Cane on Tue 29 Nov 2011, 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Tue 29 Nov 2011, 10:55 am

[quote="super_realist"]Cook, best eater of cucumber sandwiches in the UK 2011.

[/quot

No one rise to the plonker Smile

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 29 Nov 2011, 10:56 am

Union Cane wrote:...and the golf section wonder why nobody likes them.

I don't like any other sections, I'm petty like that, although him who visited the boxing boards from the cricket board was perfectly charming.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 29 Nov 2011, 10:58 am

Cook had a stellar year, true, but cricket is such a team game I always feel it's a bit wrong to pick out an individual. Surely Bell or Anderson deserve it just as much? If the Enland cricket team don't win team of the year it'll be a travesty though.

AS for all-year excellence, Farah surely matches Cook, while Cavendish was able to excel at the TdF and win the Worlds a few months later, so not that much "in isolation".

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 29 Nov 2011, 11:02 am

super_realist wrote:Cook, best eater of cucumber sandwiches in the UK 2011.

Go and watch Happy Gilmore, that is the most entertaining thing in the history of golf.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 29 Nov 2011, 11:03 am

rowley wrote:

I don't like any other sections, I'm petty like that, although him who visited the boxing boards from the cricket board was perfectly charming.

I believe you refer to Guildfordbat, Jeff.

You should frequent the cricket board more often, the likes of Guildford and the Corporal would happily discuss the heroics of Fred Trueman with you!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Tue 29 Nov 2011, 11:07 am

I've voted for Darren Clarke. A remarkable achievement for one of the older guys. He had been written off by many pundits. I don't think he will win Sports Personality. The golf vote will be split as will the cricket one. I would be very pleased to see Cavendish win.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 29 Nov 2011, 11:08 am

Fists of Fury wrote:
rowley wrote:

You should frequent the cricket board more often, the likes of Guildford and the Corporal would happily discuss the heroics of Fred Trueman with you!

You're probably right Fists would perhaps not hurt to spread my wings, just not sure how long I could curb my natural instinct to claim Boycott was a better batsman than Bradman.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cabbagesandbrussels Tue 29 Nov 2011, 11:13 am

until Murray wins a major, he'll always be floundering amongst the also rans...

Cook, although in a team game, has achieved amazing things with a cricket bat and Strauss captained England to top spot in the world. They are both worthy...

Rory Mac showed immense strength of character after capitulating at Augusta to win the USPGA so he is also very worthy.

Although I'm sure Cavendish has had a great year, no one really gives a hoot about his sport....

My inkling is that the top 3 will be Cook, Strauss and McIlroy, (although i cant make up my mind in which order.)

cabbagesandbrussels

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 29 Nov 2011, 11:14 am

I don't really follow any of these sports aside from tennis, but I know that the England cricket team have performed very well this year and part of that is down to Cooke being better than he ever has been with the bat so I went for him

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 29 Nov 2011, 11:15 am

rowley wrote:
Fists of Fury wrote:
rowley wrote:

You're probably right Fists would perhaps not hurt to spread my wings, just not sure how long I could curb my natural instinct to claim Boycott was a better batsman than Bradman.

You'll be most disappointed to know that Sir Geoffrey didn't make it into our cricket hall of fame when he was up for nomination just last week.

It'd be good to see you contributing over there.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 29 Nov 2011, 11:17 am

None of them really have actual PERSONALITIES as amazing as they are at there sports.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 29 Nov 2011, 11:17 am

AlexHuckerby wrote:None of them really have actual PERSONALITIES as amazing as they are at there sports.

Just like you then Alex, well, apart from the sport bit.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 29 Nov 2011, 11:19 am

Union Cane wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:None of them really have actual PERSONALITIES as amazing as they are at there sports.

Just like you then Alex, well, apart from the sport bit.

You know Union, ever since you became a "mod" you've just become mean and hurtful.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 29 Nov 2011, 11:22 am

AlexHuckerby wrote:You know Union, ever since you became a "mod" you've just become mean and hurtful.
Spoiler:

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 29 Nov 2011, 11:24 am

Fists of Fury wrote:

You'll be most disappointed to know that Sir Geoffrey didn't make it into our cricket hall of fame when he was up for nomination just last week.

Suspect that would have been the point I was banned from the boards.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 29 Nov 2011, 11:26 am

He was up alongside Barrington, Bedi, Bedser and Chappell, with only Barrington and Bedser making it in. That is how cut-throat our members are!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 29 Nov 2011, 11:28 am

May visit at some point Fists, do like cricket, had a spell of reading a lot about it, think of all the sports the written work on cricket really stands out.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 29 Nov 2011, 11:29 am

Yeah there are some cracking publications. I always enjoy the auto-biographies too, given that many of the players are fairly well educated and very witty. They often have some good stories to tell.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 29 Nov 2011, 11:32 am

Read a fair few of them Fists, Atherton's was excellent particularly considering it was written without a ghost writer. There is a Boycott book by Leo Mcinstry or something similar which is outstanding.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 29 Nov 2011, 11:43 am

Immensely articulate chap, Atherton.

Not heard of that Boycott book, I'll have a look at that. Maybe time for a Rowley 'cricket book reviews' thread? Whistle

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 29 Nov 2011, 11:49 am

I enjoyed Dickie Bird's autobiography, although there was a bit too much Yorkshire bias and stories about Parky, but you'd expect that.

Didn't think much of Pietersen's though.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 29 Nov 2011, 11:53 am

I quite enjoyed KP's, Union. Interesting story about his background and upbringing. He made some very brave calls at an early age which have massively paid off, however it could always have failed. Fair play to him, and here he is now, one of the worlds best batsmen and wearing an England shirt Smile

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Tue 29 Nov 2011, 12:01 pm

Union Cane wrote:I enjoyed Dickie Bird's autobiography, although there was a bit too much Yorkshire bias and stories about Parky, but you'd expect that.

And Pietersen did not think much of Swann's Very Happy

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 29 Nov 2011, 12:04 pm

Union Cane wrote:I enjoyed Dickie Bird's autobiography, although there was a bit too much Yorkshire bias and stories about Parky, but you'd expect that.

Union I have a policy with biographies not to read any by a sportsman who is still active, think it was some of the cricket shockers that prompted that policy. Stve Waugh's is outstanding, the whole baggy green thing gets a bit puke inducing but other than that it is well worth a read.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next