The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If.......(its a Joe Calzaghe thread)

+2
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Adam D
6 posters

Go down

If.......(its a Joe Calzaghe thread) Empty If.......(its a Joe Calzaghe thread)

Post by Adam D Thu 31 Mar 2011, 6:45 pm

I noticed comments about the biggest fight in boxing and was wondering would a rematch between Bhop and Calzaghe be up there?

Let's just assume that Joe decided to come back (I don't think he ever will) - what would be the biggest fight for him?

Bernard?
Froch? Could he make the weight?
Someone else?

interested to hear your thoughts (especially hitmans 🤦 ) on whether you think he would ever return and if so, who would be his biggest money spinner?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

If.......(its a Joe Calzaghe thread) Empty Re: If.......(its a Joe Calzaghe thread)

Post by Guest Thu 31 Mar 2011, 6:50 pm

Biggest fight for Joe would depend on whether or not

A/ Hopkins beats Pascal
B/ Froch wins the Super 6
C/ Manny can get him to agree a fight at 154

Back to top Go down

If.......(its a Joe Calzaghe thread) Empty Re: If.......(its a Joe Calzaghe thread)

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 31 Mar 2011, 6:52 pm

Think regardless of results the biggest fight would be Froch don't ever see him coming back though and hope he doesn't.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 31 Mar 2011, 6:53 pm

He also admitting to taking cocaine Ricky Hatton had his licence taken away from him for this so if Calzaghe wanted to come back he shouldn't be given a licence the board have set a president now.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Thu 31 Mar 2011, 6:56 pm

prettyboy1304 wrote:He also admitting to taking cocaine Ricky Hatton had his licence taken away from him for this so if Calzaghe wanted to come back he shouldn't be given a licence the board have set a president now.

Good point. Still he can always make a living as a dancer.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 31 Mar 2011, 7:00 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:
prettyboy1304 wrote:He also admitting to taking cocaine Ricky Hatton had his licence taken away from him for this so if Calzaghe wanted to come back he shouldn't be given a licence the board have set a president now.

did you see him dance?

Wayne Sleep has more chance turning out as a boxer.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 31 Mar 2011, 7:02 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:

Thought Hatton could apply for his fighter's licence back but opted to go for a trainer's/promotor's licence instead.

Margarito was banned for a year and still got himself a tidy little fight. Can't see how Calzaghe's dabble in recreational drugs (in no way used to enhance his boxing performance seeing as he was retired) can be viewed as worthy of a life-time ban.

Calzaghe still seems in reasonable shape and depending who emegeres at top dog in the LH division, I believe Calzaghe would actually fancy his chances even at 38/39. Whether he'd win or not is up for debate (but for the record, I still think he beats Froch).

Whether people would want to risk watching him fight Hopkin's is another matter entirely.

Oh yeah, he wouldn't beat Manny!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Thu 31 Mar 2011, 7:04 pm

I did not. I did however hear he was about as good a dancer as Zsa Zsa Gabor...

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 31 Mar 2011, 7:10 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:I did not. I did however hear he was about as good a dancer as Zsa Zsa Gabor...

To be honest, Liz Taylor would give him a run for his money

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Thu 31 Mar 2011, 7:13 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:I did not. I did however hear he was about as good a dancer as Zsa Zsa Gabor...

Two slappers going at it?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 31 Mar 2011, 7:20 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

Two slappers going at it?

Bada-bing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 31 Mar 2011, 7:48 pm

Would love to see him fight Froch, would have been good if Froch had been about a few years earlier and both were fighting out their careers at the same time.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 31 Mar 2011, 7:54 pm

The Galveston Giant wrote:Would love to see him fight Froch, would have been good if Froch had been about a few years earlier and both were fighting out their careers at the same time.

Would have been great very close fight and hard to pick. Was really impressed with how Froch stuck to his game plan against Abraham and didn't try and blow him away and leave himself open especially towards the end.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 31 Mar 2011, 8:06 pm

prettyboy1304 wrote:
The Galveston Giant wrote:Would love to see him fight Froch, would have been good if Froch had been about a few years earlier and both were fighting out their careers at the same time.

Would have been great very close fight and hard to pick. Was really impressed with how Froch stuck to his game plan against Abraham and didn't try and blow him away and leave himself open especially towards the end.

I didn't like Froch before when he was always calling out Calzaghe, bad mouthing him and such, when he hadn't done much himself. After seeing him go on to achieve what he has though, i now believe he was genuine about everything he said, he wants to fight the best every fight and you can't ask much more than that. Can't pick a winner though. Sitting firmly on the fence.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 31 Mar 2011, 8:08 pm

I'm still wondering who the president is that was set 🤦

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 31 Mar 2011, 8:22 pm

Davie wrote:I'm still wondering who the president is that was set 🤦

Doh
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 31 Mar 2011, 8:51 pm

Davie wrote:I'm still wondering who the president is that was set 🤦

there are 4 of them set into Mount Rushmore if that helps

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 31 Mar 2011, 9:01 pm

If.....certain posters can think about Joe Calzaghe and not turn purple with apoplexy, and write a dismissive article about him....they'll be a man my son.

Buncey raises the subject briefly in Boxing Monthly,said that Joe's peak was 2005, when he was 32.Until the AA scrap I'd agree that Carl didn't have a defence.He proved me wrong by proving he could learn and do the business in a calm manner.Do think JC is too old,and he likes a drink and a take-out and seriously doubt he could get to twelve stones seven pounds.
And if CF agreed at a heavier weight...grudgingly go with him to get the decision, purely based on Joe's inactivity..

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 31 Mar 2011, 9:04 pm

andygf wrote:If.....certain posters can think about Joe Calzaghe and not turn purple with apoplexy, and write a dismissive article about him....they'll be a man my son.

Kipling would be proud of you, andy.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down