The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Super XV round 9 preview and live match thread

+9
chewed_mintie
yappysnap
FerN
Taylorman
Biltong
Full Credit
nganboy
aucklandlaurie
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Super XV round 9 preview and live match thread - Page 2 Empty Super XV round 9 preview and live match thread

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:07 am

First topic message reminder :

We are now almost half way through the 2012 Super XV Round-Robin phase and in this post-Rugby World Cup season a few things are becoming abundantly clear:
* The New Zealand conference id hotting up, with everyone except the hapless Blues scrapping hard for playoffs spots
* The Stormers and Bulls remain top dogs in South Africa, though the Sharks may yet challenge
* Australia currently does not have enough depth to sustain five Super Rugby teams. No Australian team has won outside of Australia this season and in 8 games played in Australia by visiting teams from New Zealand or South Africa the score is 4-4.
* Injury rates have soared in the early season. Few teams have escaped the carnage with the Lions and Reds notably the worst
hit.
* Defence is king. Very few teams are picking up four-try bonus points, and around 70% of matches are being decided by 7 points or less.

Australian Conference
Position Team Played Wins Losses Draws Byes Points For Points Against Points Difference Bonus Points Total
1 Brumbies 7 4 3 0 1 174 150 24 4 24
2 Reds 7 4 3 0 1 140 193 -53 1 21
3 Waratahs 7 3 4 0 1 163 161 2 5 21
4 Rebels 7 2 5 0 1 133 211 -78 2 14
5 Western Force 8 2 6 0 0 181 212 -31 5 13

New Zealand Conference
Position Team Played Wins Losses Draws Byes Points For Points Against Points Difference Bonus Points Total
1 Chiefs 7 6 1 0 1 190 136 54 3 31
2 Highlanders 7 5 2 0 1 162 143 19 2 26
3 Hurricanes 7 4 3 0 1 225 195 30 5 25
4 Crusaders 7 4 3 0 1 174 159 15 3 23
5 Blues 7 1 6 0 1 149 187 -38 3 11

South African Conference
1 Stormers 7 6 1 0 1 170 128 42 1 29
2 Bulls 7 5 2 0 1 234 137 97 5 29
3 Sharks 8 4 4 0 0 190 200 -10 6 22
4 Cheetahs 8 3 5 0 0 227 238 -11 5 17
5 Lions 7 1 6 0 1 130 192 -62 2 10

Matches:
Highlanders vs Blues - Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin
The embattled Blues travel to Dunedin seeking to end their 4-match losing streak and defend the Gordon Hunter Memorial Trophy. History is on the Blues' side, they have 5 wins from 9 down south. However the men from Auckland have only won one match this season, upsetting the Bulls in Pretoria in round 3. The Highlanders have had a week off to mull over their loss to the Stormers and will be looking for points in the increasingly congested New Zealand conference battle.

The Highlanders have responded to their run of injuries by recruiting a pair of former players out of Japanese club rugby in first five-eighth Mike Delaney and flanker Hale T-Pole, with T-Pole on a three week trial. Delaney will start at 10, pushing Chris Noakes to the bench, while in the only other change to the starting fifteen Tamati Ellison drops to fullback as Ben Smith is still injured, and Phil Burleigh comes in at centre. New Zealand sevens star Kurt Baker is on the bench.

Pat Lam has rung the changes this week. Skipper Keven Mealamu and fullback Rudi Wulf miss the match through injury, replaced by Tom McCartney and Hadleigh Parkes with Luke Braid the stand-in captain. Daniel Braid has not fully recovered from a knock in the Sharks game and drops to the bench. In other changes, Ali Williams returns to the starting fifteen and Rene Ranger moves in to centre, swapping positions with Benson Stanley. Piri Weepu remains stuck on the bench, while Sherwin Stowers and Lachie Munro are unable to make the matchday squad.

The bookmakers like the Blues for this one, which has me baffled; I think the Southerners will be too strong upfront. Highlanders by 7.

Continued here: http://www.v2journal.com/super-xv-2012-preview-round-9.html

Last edited by Kiwireddevil on Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Super XV round 9 preview and live match thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Super XV round 9 preview and live match thread

Post by boomeranga Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:50 pm

No I hadn't LB. That's not much, but after 6 years, its something... if we pick Carey, we might finally be a chance this year? For mine, Thurston proved last night he is no Lockyer, although Smith and Slater are two of the best footballers in Australia.

I've been out to the game tonight. We are a frustrating team. Id like them to put foley to 10. Berrick has lost his mojo.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Super XV round 9 preview and live match thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Super XV round 9 preview and live match thread

Post by boomeranga Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:52 pm

Sorry mate. Carey = Carney

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:01 pm

Well don't worry, the feeling's mutual when it comes to the Stormers Biltong. Hug

And chin up you Aussie posters. You won yet another ANZAC test (have we ever won one?) and you are and forever will be 3N champs. This Super rugby doesn't necessarily translate into super test form. 5 teams though and a nasty run of injuries does tend to show though that the talent pool is stretched like a good dose of Botox and the results are no less horrifying. Shocked

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:18 pm

I know how you feel Booma. At least they won tonight. I used to go out to the SFS regularly but stopped going after some paltry efforts - throwing away good leads, etc. So much promise yet nothing to show at the end of it.

Maybe Jim Carey can help us in the RL? Very Happy
Carney has great potenial along with Gallen and a few others but we are still way short imo, even with Thurston a little off his game.

True kia, SXV form helps but once you guys pull on the all black jersey... you seem to grow an extra pair of legs... and hands as well. Laugh

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:30 pm

When I saw Carey LB, I thought of Waaayyne! God help us. Must be the Wagga boy in me. Still, he would if made a decent backrower accept no one would have trusted him enough to turn their back.

I'm less down about our (oz not nsw) rugby than I'm clearly meant to be. We have five teams and we aren't sending ourselves broke. Long term these are good things. As long as Sanzar doesn't become NZAR, we might be fine.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:41 pm

I'm the same about the Wallabies. We're punching above our weight perhaps but we're still in with a chance.

I'm not really concerned what SA does really. I reckon it would be better for them financially (obviously) but it might also be a bad move in terms of their continuing rugby development - the 3 nations brings out the best in each other and I feel SA could get bogged down a little in the NH.

Great to have Argentina more involved. Maybe it will be hard at first (agree with some other posters that Oz is probably the most vulnerable to a stumble in our away game) but after a few years the Pumas will get a lot stronger.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:51 pm

Agree on Oz. And on SA, but do wonder how long they will see it as worthwhile. If it was us, how long would we see the value if there was an alternative? And its Great to have Argentina onboard. They will add a wonderful flavour to the mix, and straight home and away is a much better format. We will certainly be vulnerable as their great strength is our clear weakness.

As an aside, he wasn't great tonight, but I think we may have a future star in Luke Jones.

The foot Falcon has got me home, so will talk to you later.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:00 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Lots of love for the Crusaders on this thread! That's all good. It means they're recovering from their woeful start and are starting to look ominous again.

Yep and didn't I cop it this morning! My 7 yr old son has formally ditched the Hurricanes and now supports the Crusaders!

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:14 pm

As much as I don't like the Super XV format, SA would be real stupid to join forces in Europe.

The way the clubs in England and France are working against the collective and there seems to be very little colaboration between their national unions and their clubs will disrupt us.

If you think it is bad that the Super XV is split in the middle with a test series, #$!% we will have 4 different competitions in one month!
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:45 pm

Morning folks. Just up for the sharks chiefs match.
Torrid start by the sharks fought off by the chiefs defence. Cruden looked helped by something in his try but both teams look full of running.
Saders last two outings has put them on track for finals again and they really do build their season well. McCaw still to come back. Canes just outmuscled by the same gameplay they are trying to adopt via Hammet.
Chiefs have spilled the ball several times a la blues style though...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:48 pm

Gee they do love their rugby in SA. Huge crowd.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:55 pm

You just get that feeling the Sharks aren't going to win this one, far too many mistakes
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:04 pm

They're going on about the humidity aren't they? Both teams going hell for leather and pushing passes... great to watch.

Who are the commentators, BB? Is that Joel Stansky and who's the other guy?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:07 pm

Not sure if you are listeining to the same guys, but the one is Bobby Skinstad, and Robbie Kempston, the third guy not sure what his name is, but not an ex rugby player.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:12 pm

Anyones game i reckon. Sharks stringing more phases together.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:17 pm

True, but they aren't looking like they are going to score, everytime they rn with the ball you expect a mistake, and eventually it comes.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:19 pm

Whereas with the Chiefs you keep feeling they are going to get another try, as the sharks are missing a lot of tackles
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:26 pm

Not sure there were any arms in that tackle.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:47 pm

I reckon this is the end of the Sharks season.

Their campaign thus far has been one of endless mistakes, not learning from them. You can't fault their endeavours, but it is sadly not good enough.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:01 pm

My connection seems to be slow.
Cheeky try at the end. Amazing run by the chiefs who actually lead that first match they post by a good 15 before losing to the highlanders.

Lots of mistakes both sides. SBW was in everything but hands let him down. Sharks toiled away and just couldnt nail it. Odd game with a lot of big hits.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Fishpaste Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:39 pm

Disappointing from the Sharks. Like in previous games, they've seemed to dominate general play, but have not been able to finish anything off. They lose concentration at key moments, either releasing the pressure on the opposition, or worse, allow them to score!

Mr Fishpaste

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:51 pm

Did anyone see that almost try from the Brumbies?

Now that is directly from this symptomatic illness Morne Steyn suffers from. The Bulls drive 30 meters with a maul, the ball is passed back into the Bulls 22 and Steyn kicks deep and aimless, the counter attack comes and the Brumbies miss out on a try in the last moment.

Effectively the Bulls have decided to defend their lead. This is exactly why Heyneke Meyer should not select him. I don't care how well he kicks, it irritates the living furious out of me.

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:54 pm

So because of that pathetic mindset the Brumbies earn 2 bonus points.

Imagine this was a fournations test. We would have gifted a team 2 bons points. totally unacceptable.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:50 pm

Wonder if the crusaders form in last two games is related to the palava over the bulls? They sure do look back to their old selves, playing with purpose and some degree of accuracy. Think Taylor is doing a great job at first five but what about carter? Guess he'll slot in easily for the ABs.

Always reassuring when you have Joubert as ref and wish he could ref all rugby games. Bit stink he got those calls wrong, but hey. Like his manner and style, not pedantic or theatrical like some who're just gagging to peep.

Actually had a feeling sharks would sneak it by a late pen/DG. Great win for the chiefs. Cheeky last try. SBW had butter fingers all game, could have gone down the line on one occasion. We'll take it, chiefs of old would have conspired to lose that game.

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:52 pm

EBOP, I don't think the Bulls are the reason the Crusaders are hitting form, it happens every year, by midway they are gelling and playing as a well oiled machine.

The conditions weren't great for the tactics SBW uses during match days, with the humidity during this time of the year, one handed passes will always struggle, he did adapt eventually by the second half and realised the one handed offload wasn't the way to go though.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:19 am

Ok perhaps not the 'thing', but something seemed to click in that mammoth come from behind attempt. Wrt SBW, I'm actually a big fan of his and despite the fumbles he kept going, but did appear frustrated with himself. I like his on field attitude. But I thought he was dropping passes to him and not always during offloads. Could have been the humidity but he'd be used to dew and rain in NZ.

That masanga tackle wasn't pretty but it looked like he was trying to wrap his arms around mvovo, but the speed he was running at him, they banged heads before he could. Just wondering, is that a dangerous tackle? The commentators weren't too impressed, but it didn't look malicious.

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:21 am

Well based on the fact that both were incapacitated for quite some time, it was dangerous, but as you say, I too think it was just not very well timed and there for poorly executed.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:32 am

You see quite a few of these tackles these days, trying to wrap up the players. At the speed some of these guys run after high kicks, they seem dangerous, but no pen or white card, so must be ok. I recall seeing a very similar tackle recently (could have been chiefs wing nemani, not sure), where he was worse off. Don't know why they don't hit them around the waist. If they time it right, itd be just as effective.

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:37 am

Did you watch the Bulls vs Brumbies match? There was a textbook tackle From Bjorn Basson on one of those bombs. Exactly how you should do it, drove the reciever back a good number of metres with that tackle.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:29 am

Lucky he was in the Southern hemisphere,God onlyknows what sanctions he would face in another part of the world.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:33 am

Missed that one. Was it tackle round the guts, drive back, stand up, pilfer. Much more effective than concussion.

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:38 am

I havent seen any of the games played over night in the Republic, i catch them during the week with all the replays on sky,but I did hear Plumtree on radio sport here saying that he reckoned they had sorted out Sonny Bill.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:38 am

Plumtree is talking out his..... Ther tactic was for JP Pietersen to go high on SBW to prevent the offload, Pietersen fell of many tackles during the game, and in my view was his worst defensive performance of the season. SBW still managed to free his arm.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:06 am

biltongbek wrote:So because of that pathetic mindset the Brumbies earn 2 bonus points.

Imagine this was a fournations test. We would have gifted a team 2 bons points. totally unacceptable.

What about that knock on which led to the Bulls try? I know you don't like Australians but you need to remove your blinkers, mate. Wink

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:28 pm

I love australians, I hate losing to them. Hug
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:36 pm

LB, to be fair, that wasn't meant because it was the Brumbies, it could have been any team. The fustration lies in the fact that they stopped playing and kicked possession away, similar to 2010 when we lost our two home tests after similar blunders by the self same Morne Steyn.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:46 pm

Smile Yes, I know what you mean. He loves a good hoof doesn't he?

Nothing worse than a team booting the ball back to the opposition with minutes to go in a tight game... allowing them one more attacking foray. steam

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:00 pm

I can't tell you how many games in the last few years I sat steaming in front of the tv watching our teams do that. It is so blatantly wrong, I can't work out how these supposed professional coaches can't see it.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:16 pm

The worst part is seeing all those sleek backs lining up screaming for the ball, overlap present... yet the guy is in his own little world preparing to kick - not even on the lookout for potential opportunities. The final straw is when those sort of kicks get charged down. Agree, coach could just say - remember you have team mates who may be a better option - look for them!

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:19 pm

There was a joke about Naas Botha when he still played.

After 12 years with the Northern Transvaal as the Bulls were called then, he was introduced to his midfield players as he omitted to invite them to his wedding, so when they pitched up he didn;t know who they were.Super XV round 9 preview and live match thread - Page 2 Roflbl10
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:23 pm

biltongbek wrote:There was a joke about Naas Botha when he still played.

After 12 years with the Northern Transvaal as the Bulls were called then, he was introduced to his midfield players as he omitted to invite them to his wedding, so when they pitched up he didn;t know who they were.Super XV round 9 preview and live match thread - Page 2 Roflbl10

Laugh

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2